• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

aravuus

13 hours in, just finished chapter 1. Looks like the game's gonna take me a while too.

Also, the amount of conversations that go like "thank you", "no, thank YOU!", "ooh no no no, THANK YOU!!!" in these games is hilarious

I can't handle the amount of *giggle* and *chuckle* in the dialouge. I don't think it's a good localization choice to write it like this and it takes me out of the experience every single time.

Does anyone know how this was handled in the Japanese version?

aravuus

Patrick's voice is fucking spot on, I love it lmao. I think the rest of the voices range from decent to great too. Positive surprise, to say the least, after all the criticism the acting seemed to garner.

I can't handle the amount of *giggle* and *chuckle* in the dialouge. I don't think it's a good localization choice to write it like this and it takes me out of the experience every single time.

Yeah, and while it is better than the *chuckles* and *giggles*, I'm not a fan of "Haha." either, but eh, what can you do. If your character needs to laugh, they need to laugh, there are only so many ways of doing that in text.

I'm under the impression that
class VII will graduate, or otherwise be finished with the school
by the end of the game, is this correct? A simple yes or no will suffice. Just wondering, as so far it looks like each chapter is around a month long, wondering if the later chapters are going to be much longer.

Patrick's voice is fucking spot on, I love it lmao. I think the rest of the voices range from decent to great too. Positive surprise, to say the least, after all the criticism the acting seemed to garner.

Yeah, and while it is better than the *chuckles* and *giggles*, I'm not a fan of "Haha." either, but eh, what can you do. If your character needs to laugh, they need to laugh, there are only so many ways of doing that in text.

I vastly preferer "haha" "hehe" to *verb*. That's why I was curious how JP does it
I agree with your other point though, most of the voice acting is fantastic. XSEED did a really good job here.

duckroll

Today I booted up my PS3 to confirm that it was still working. Took Metal Gear Rising out of the disc drive and put Cold Steel in. I installed a new patch, and watched the opening movie. Then I went to the PSN Store and grabbed the free Shining Pom Trial DLC, whatever it is. I don't see any other free DLC packs but something was mentioned in the Patch Notes? Am I missing anything? I just want to make sure I'm not missing any limited offers before putting it all back into the box and forgetting about it until Cold Steel 3 is out. :p

I'm under the impression that
class VII will graduate, or otherwise be finished with the school
by the end of the game, is this correct? A simple yes or no will suffice. Just wondering, as so far it looks like each chapter is around a month long, wondering if the later chapters are going to be much longer.

No

Just to set some context, if what you think happens pans out, it would mean
24 chapters and a 300 hour game, because their school term is 2 years.

aravuus

No

Just to set some context, if what you think happens pans out, it would mean
24 chapters and a 300 hour game, because their school term is 2 years.

Well yeah, that's why I was wondering if the later chapters are longer than just a month.

Thanks for the reply, anyway.

Well yeah, that's why I was wondering if the later chapters are longer than just a month.

Thanks for the reply, anyway.

Well, seeing as you finished Chapter 1
you'd notice that the game is very liberal with its fast-forwards. If they stretch that out too much, it'd feel kinda awkward.

It's not like Persona in that sense
since you actually have to live out the day-by-day of Persona, you get the sense of time progression, whereas Trails is all about the story progression in those field studies.

evilalien

Today I booted up my PS3 to confirm that it was still working. Took Metal Gear Rising out of the disc drive and put Cold Steel in. I installed a new patch, and watched the opening movie. Then I went to the PSN Store and grabbed the free Shining Pom Trial DLC, whatever it is. I don't see any other free DLC packs but something was mentioned in the Patch Notes? Am I missing anything? I just want to make sure I'm not missing any limited offers before putting it all back into the box and forgetting about it until Cold Steel 3 is out. :p

No, you're fine. That's everything that is free. The patch has some DLC packs included in it.

The original scripts for Trails games in particular use a lot of laughter onomatopoeia. To some extent a lot of Japanese writing/media uses it (onomatopoeia in general fits in very easily to the phonetic nature of Japanese), but Trails uses it more heavily than most media I've seen, and more importantly uses a huge variety for its laughter. When I worked on SC, I tried to represent it as actual laughing sounds with similar variety ("haha!" for a short laugh, "ha-ha-ha!" for those drawn-out, occasionally forced laughs Olivier does, the classic "ehehe" for Tita at times, "hmmhmm!" or "hmm-hmm-hmm" for Schera's very distinct chuckle, et cetera) but that's far from the only way to skin the cat.

There's no "right" answer for how to represent that in writing, especially in the dialogue-box format used by Trails and other RPGs. It comes down to translator/editor preference in the end, and how well it reads will often be in the eye of the beholder.

The other two free DLC packs seem to be hard built into patch 1.01, so they aren't strictly speaking DLC, but they'll appear under the ingame Item > DLC tab.

So yeah, you're good to go.

Yeah this game is all over the place with the writing

Not sure how i feel overall. Need to collect my thoughts

So the last of meaty rpg that I finished was P4G. I've gotten an itch lately and I've heard this game come up a few times.

So coming from persona to this, would I probably enjoy it? Gameplay, story, etc.?

So the last of meaty rpg that I finished was P4G. I've gotten an itch lately and I've heard this game come up a few times.

So coming from persona to this, would I probably enjoy it? Gameplay, story, etc.?

Fair shot you would. I prefer the Cold Steel battle system, a ton of flexibility in character builds to play around with.

They both have a similar feeling in the balance of fun school stuff vs serious stuff (political in Cold Steel vs Occult in P4).

In some ways Cold Steel is much more constrained - you only play a few story heavy days each month balanced with hanging out at school for a day or two.

They scratched at least similar itches for me.

Gameplay's great. Fun combat system with some fun mechanics and just enough layer of tactics and mix-ups. It's not a hard game, but there are challenges here and there.

Story's slow, but it has excellent world-building and knows how to craft a great sense of a believable world with interesting characters. It's a slow simmer.

Etc. First impressions is easy to assume this is similar to a Persona game, due to its school setting and SOME mechanics-similarity to Persona. It's not. It's a traditional JRPG that takes you from town-to-town, story beat-to-story beat.

aravuus

In addition to don and gale's replies, I'll say this: I love Persona, a LOT. I... Didn't really like TiTS. It was okay.

So far, I've actually loved CS. Really just enjoying it a ton.

It's hard for me to pinpoint what it is about TiTS that I wasn't fond of, though, so maybe this post is of absolutely no value to anyone lol. Just wanted to chime in.

e: and while CS definitely is more of a traditional JRPG, it really feels like a Persona game in some ways. Same vibes, or something.

duckroll

No, you're fine. That's everything that is free. The patch has some DLC packs included in it.

The other two free DLC packs seem to be hard built into patch 1.01, so they aren't strictly speaking DLC, but they'll appear under the ingame Item > DLC tab.

So yeah, you're good to go.

Okay, thanks. Time to go back to hugging the packaging then. The artbook and the manual (OMFG THIS GAME HAS A PHYSICAL MANUAL WTF!!!) are really nice. ^_^

aravuus

How do the dish side quests (giving peculiar dishes to Thomas, superb dishes to the maid etc), uh, work? Do I get something every x dish I give them, do I never get anything, do I have to give them every single peculiar/superb/whatever dish to get any rewards or what? Also, do they give AP? Aiming for the highest rank, but I've been ignoring the whole cooking aspect so far.

Also I'm loving the little NPC stories so far. There are some I don't care about so I ignore the particular NPCs, but for the most part I feel compelled to keep talking to everyone all the time

I'm in Chapter 4 and can't help notice a trend (lore / universe spoilers, including TitS) :
there's definitely some weird magic/mystical stuff going on. I mean, there's the "fiends" you encounter in the old schoolhouse. They don't look like regular monsters or archaisms.
In the same way, the game makes it pretty clear that Emma uses something that looks like plain old magic, not orbal arts (which I would classify under technology).
These old places where the three other elements matter seem to be part of that trend to.

That's interesting, because TitS seemed to have mystical elements toward the end, like the final boss or the pillar of salt, but it was grounded in a particular kind of fantasy science, where monsters were particular animals and magic was derived from orbal power. This, in comparison, seems... paranormal I guess.

I rented this game via gamefly and just now completed it. I put in an order for the Lionheart Edition because that's how pleased I am with this game. I don't know if I'll go back to it or not but I at least want to support the localization of the next games and vote with my money.

sibarraz

Banned
Question about trails in the sky series, how many time takes to get all the achievements on this game? I heard that SC was already a very long game

And second, is there any kind of hope to see TC localised in the west, or the second bombed so hard that xseed doesn't want anything with it?

Question, how many time takes to get all the achievements on this game? I heard that SC was already a very long game

And second, is there any kind of hope to see TC localised in the west, or the second bombed so hard that xseed doesn't want anything with it?

There's a trophy for in-game time of 100 hours, so a minimum of a 100.

As in amount of playthroughs you'll need? 2 playthroughs, so long as you're sufficiently prepared. 3 tops.

As for the 2nd question, there's always a hope. But we don't know. Suffice to say that TC is currently not a priority for them anyway, as they're rushing to get CS2 out while Vita and PS3 still have life in them.

How do the dish side quests (giving peculiar dishes to Thomas, superb dishes to the maid etc), uh, work? Do I get something every x dish I give them, do I never get anything, do I have to give them every single peculiar/superb/whatever dish to get any rewards or what? Also, do they give AP? Aiming for the highest rank, but I've been ignoring the whole cooking aspect so far.

Also I'm loving the little NPC stories so far. There are some I don't care about so I ignore the particular NPCs, but for the most part I feel compelled to keep talking to everyone all the time

Every 5 you'll get a recovery item and at 20 you get a pretty good quartz from each of them. No AP involved.

aravuus

Every 5 you'll get a recovery item and at 20 you get a pretty good quartz from each of them. No AP involved.

Thanks! I'll try to do them then, in that case, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep if I never manage to finish them.

e: fucking Mint first took a month to find the faculty office, then another month to go back to the school band room? Hahahaha

Have to give all 20 to get something worthwhile from either (and filling cooking log you get something potentially even more worthwhile from Margarita). And I'm not sure how worthwhile because I don't have the patience to do much cooking....

Edit: beaten, will just note the healing items aren't any great shakes...

aravuus

c3c6f5881a.jpg

Margarita is like straight from a Persona game

Swear to god I can't wait to see if she ever finds someone

What's wrong with me, why do I care?!

duckroll

Jesus you'll be waiting so long. Although then you'll have about 300 hours of JRPG goodness to go through.

Well, I probably won't have to wait -that- long. Just need XSEED to release CS2 to complete the packaging set, and Falcom to release CS3 in Japan if XSEED is going to drag their feet on it. Meanwhile I have Aeana and Bebpo hounding me every week to play 3rd, Zero, and Ao, all of which have actual endings! I think I'll be okay for the next year or two. :p

Bladenic

Well, I probably won't have to wait -that- long. Just need XSEED to release CS2 to complete the packaging set, and Falcom to release CS3 in Japan if XSEED is going to drag their feet on it. Meanwhile I have Aeana and Bebpo hounding me every week to play 3rd, Zero, and Ao, all of which have actual endings! I think I'll be okay for the next year or two. :p

Ohhhhh okay, I was understanding that you'd be waiting until CS3 English version (which we better get).

Fucking smart, wish I did the same :'(
no regrets playing cold steel

duckroll

Ohhhhh okay, I was understanding that you'd be waiting until CS3 English version (which we better get).

For consistency, I would prefer that. Like, if XSEED announced TitS 3rd today, I would just wait, because I'm not in a huge hurry to play all these games immediately. Since there's no announcement, I'll probably tackle that in a month or two rather than waiting. By the time CS3 is out in Japan and CS2 is already out in English, and I've caught up with the series, if there isn't an announcement for CS3 in English, I'll just start.

bomblord1

Banned
WTH I put my PSTV into standby like I do every night came back this morning and the game wasn't open and I had lost about 2-3 hours of progress.

I'm rushing back through will probably be done in half the time but still this is annoying

aravuus

Fucking smart, wish I did the same :'(
no regrets playing cold steel

Yeah, now that I've started I realized I should have maybe waited until later this year, so I could at least play CS 1 and CS 2 back to back.

But oh well, I'm over a dozen hours into it now so might as well keep going!

The original scripts for Trails games in particular use a lot of laughter onomatopoeia. To some extent a lot of Japanese writing/media uses it (onomatopoeia in general fits in very easily to the phonetic nature of Japanese), but Trails uses it more heavily than most media I've seen, and more importantly uses a huge variety for its laughter. When I worked on SC, I tried to represent it as actual laughing sounds with similar variety ("haha!" for a short laugh, "ha-ha-ha!" for those drawn-out, occasionally forced laughs Olivier does, the classic "ehehe" for Tita at times, "hmmhmm!" or "hmm-hmm-hmm" for Schera's very distinct chuckle, et cetera) but that's far from the only way to skin the cat.

There's no "right" answer for how to represent that in writing, especially in the dialogue-box format used by Trails and other RPGs. It comes down to translator/editor preference in the end, and how well it reads will often be in the eye of the beholder.
Thank you for the detailed response. I definitely liked SC better in that regard, but it's only a small issue. Something like "ehehe" or the typical Japanese "fufufu" gives me a much better idea of the character than a generic *chuckle*

Yeah, now that I've started I realized I should have maybe waited until later this year, so I could at least play CS 1 and CS 2 back to back.

But oh well, I'm over a dozen hours into it now so might as well keep going!
Hehe looking forward to your post when you reach the end :p anyways enjoy the game and you will understand with time ;)

For consistency, I would prefer that. Like, if XSEED announced TitS 3rd today, I would just wait, because I'm not in a huge hurry to play all these games immediately. Since there's no announcement, I'll probably tackle that in a month or two rather than waiting. By the time CS3 is out in Japan and CS2 is already out in English, and I've caught up with the series, if there isn't an announcement for CS3 in English, I'll just start.

Planning to play all of them back to back ? now that's quite a journey
( i'm almost jealous )

Bladenic

It pains me to say this because I love him but I do think (party member spoiler)
Crow
may be the worst party member. Though i still love him and use him. Mil I just don't use at all despite actually being pretty good. Ah well. Though honestly nobody is useless, which is great. Machias' and Alisa's final crafts make them significantly more useful than previously.

Eusis

Continuing with the Persona comparisons, Elliot sounds like a younger Adachi. It's freaking me out. Same VA?
Not seeing him listed as a Johnny Yong Bosch role anyway. He is in Trails in the Sky as Joshua though, and anyone familiar with, say, Ichigo in Bleach (or just the P4 protagonist's Persona shouts) could recognize the voice.

It's actually kind of funny he DIDN'T voice Kevin (also from Trails in the Sky) if you're familiar with his roles and going by who Kevin looks like. Though the VA is kind of similar sounding anyway.

BIG QUESTION regarding the event later in Chapter 6.
As I understand from the guide, the only way to get a private chat with a member of Class VII is from the following conditions-

1) Have MAX Link Level with them
2) Bonding Event on Chap 6 Free Day, or Bike Event, or Use Two Tickets

Both Alisa and Laura are Lv 5, and I intent to use the Bike Event and Two Tickets one them.

I spend my Free Day Bonding Event with Emma, Fie, Machias and Gaius. Of the four of them, Emma is 90% almost to Lv 5, Fie is 75%, Machias is 10% and Gaius is 30%.

I'm current still in the Free Day What I want to ask is are any big events that would give me a last burst of Link EXP left before the deadline? Fie I assume I'm going to get just enough from the Field Trip, but what about the others? Especially Emma who is just on the edge. I still have 3 tickets left I guess.

Top Bottom