• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Busaiku

Another problem, I've had a couple times (not exclusive to chapter 4 though) was that sometimes randomly gain all their health back.
Like an enemy might be down to 30% or less, but then it hits me and gets all it's health back.
I initially noticed it with the golem and other big enemies in Chapter 3 and it happened a couple times in Chapter 4 (including the sharkodiles) as well.
I initially thought this might've been an attack, but I don't think so, because I haven't noticed any special names or anything.

Is this just me getting the worst experience, or has anyone else been seeing this?

Dio

Banned
Another problem, I've had a couple times (not exclusive to chapter 4 though) was that sometimes randomly gain all their health back.
Like an enemy might be down to 30% or less, but then it hits me and gets all it's health back.
I initially noticed it with the golem and other big enemies in Chapter 3 and it happened a couple times in Chapter 4 (including the sharkodiles) as well.
I initially thought this might've been an attack, but I don't think so, because I haven't noticed any special names or anything.

Is this just me getting the worst experience, or has anyone else been seeing this?

You're sure they're not hitting the 'turns' where they get health back?

Turn order and management is a thing in these games. If the bosses happen to be landing on a 'turn' where they get HP back then yes, they do. If you delay them, you'll be healed on that turn instead. Look for special indications on the far left turn order bar.

Holy shit that (Chapter 5 boss)
Nosferatu is a royal asshole! Spamming Nightmare and summons
The only way I beat it was to blow all 6 of my 200cp S-crafts on it, even then if I didn't have critical on Laura it wouldn't be enough.

And done, Platinum is mine. It was a hard fought battle but absolutely worth it. I really think the second time through the final chapter was better then the first. Absolutely amazing game, possibly pushing into my top 10 of all time.

I guess I'll try to get into FC (so hard after playing this with the nicer graphics, updated gameplay, voiceacting and what not) to tide me over until Febuary when Xcom and FE come out, hope we end up getting some idea of when Cold Steel 2 will be coming out before too long, I know its pretty much impossible but my god I could die happy it came out before June (it won't :( )

Busaiku

You're sure they're not hitting the 'turns' where they get health back?

Turn order and management is a thing in these games. If the bosses happen to be landing on a 'turn' where they get HP back then yes, they do. If you delay them, you'll be healed on that turn instead. Look for special indications on the far left turn order bar.
Nope, there's no indication of them getting health back.
It's not a special turn or anything, they just randomly get all their health back.
Even for those turns, they usually don't get all their health back.
This was the case with the golem, where it was at 10,000 and then randomly goes back to 30,000.

It's not a special turn or anything, they just randomly get all their health back.
This was the case with the golem, where it was at 10,000 and then randomly goes back to 30,000.

This just doesn't happen normally, either its a drain ability or the HP 100% thing which I do remember showing up in the fight with the Golem.

Bladenic

Alisa's final craft (I'm assuming) raises her usefulness significantly. Plus I turned Fie into an evasion machine and gave her the quartz that grants Criticals upon counters. The chapter 6 practice day boss couldn't touch a single person.

Busaiku

Yeah, I thought initially it might've been a skill of the golem, but it also happened with the big bird once or twice, and then other lower class enemies, and then again with the sharkodiles.
That's why I don't think it's just some skill.

Im sorry guys

But Rean needs to start mackin on these ladies

Stop taking the damn high road man!
Holy shit chapter 6 has bitches throwing themselves at him and he doesnt even try to have fun with it lol

Alisa's final craft (I'm assuming) raises her usefulness significantly. Plus I turned Fie into an evasion machine and gave her the quartz that grants Criticals upon counters. The chapter 6 practice day boss couldn't touch a single person.
Yeah thats what I did. Also increased her evasion and dealing double dmg on first strike.
Im sorry guys

But Rean needs to start mackin on these ladies

Stop taking the damn high road man!
Holy shit chapter 6 has bitches throwing themselves at him and he doesnt even try to have fun with it lol

Cause anime harem?
I hate harem..

And done, Platinum is mine. It was a hard fought battle but absolutely worth it. I really think the second time through the final chapter was better then the first. Absolutely amazing game, possibly pushing into my top 10 of all time.

I guess I'll try to get into FC (so hard after playing this with the nicer graphics, updated gameplay, voiceacting and what not) to tide me over until Febuary when Xcom and FE come out, hope we end up getting some idea of when Cold Steel 2 will be coming out before too long, I know its pretty much impossible but my god I could die happy it came out before June (it won't :( )
Its not that bad playing FC coming from Cold Steel. Theres a few things I do miss but is natural. Since its mostly what improves on the older game. For the most part its still a fun play.

Baliis

Final chapter spoilers
love the song for the concert, but it would've been cool if they'd used Whereabouts of Light instead. It's mentioned earlier in the game and its mentioned a few times in Sky that it's an Erebonian song, but still a fun scene.

Droplet

Final chapter spoilers
love the song for the concert, but it would've been cool if they'd used Whereabouts of Light instead. It's mentioned earlier in the game and its mentioned a few times in Sky that it's an Erebonian song, but still a fun scene.

What exactly was the song they used? Is it from another game?

Yeah thats what I did. Also increased her evasion and dealing double dmg on first strike.

Cause anime harem?
I hate harem..

Its not that bad playing FC coming from Cold Steel. Theres a few things I do miss but is natural. Since its mostly what improves on the older game. For the most part its still a fun play.

I just feel like the characters would be much more fun if they were a bit less constrained
Even Olivier seems constrained (though thankfully his personality bubbles up here and there)

The game is still well written there are just missed opportunities for fun lol

At least Crow delivers but everyone just reprimands him lol.

Bladenic

Cause anime harem?
I hate harem..

For the double damage Quartz, is it for the first acting turn only, or for the first turn you actually deal damage?

I just feel like the characters would be much more fun if they were a bit less constrained
Even Olivier seems constrained (though thankfully his personality bubbles up here and there)

The game is still well written there are just missed opportunities for fun lol

At least Crow delivers but everyone just reprimands him lol.
Yeah I see what you mean. I dont mind it as much since the game is well written. Its just a personal pet peeve of mine :p
For the double damage Quartz, is it for the first acting turn only, or for the first turn you actually deal damage?
Its first attack used in battle for that character. In combination with evasion quartz and critical damage quartz noting could hit her
for the most part
while doing alot of damage.

I am in Ch. 5 and this has never happened to me. I also have not had a freeze, and the slowdowns have been minor. I haven't gotten to
Legram
yet though and I understand the environmental effects there cause some serious slowdown.

On a separate note, I really wish people would provide some kind of context rather than just a completely spoilered post.

Erheller

Final chapter spoilers

Didn't
Misty sing a few lines from it on Radio Trista?

Bladenic

Is it worth it to upgrade my party's equipment in Chapter 6? Everything's expensive and if there's just better stuff waiting in the final chapter then I'll just save my Mira.

GNOSIS

I finally got an account here!

Okay here's my first post.

I have been reading this thread since I got the game just before new year but couldn't post anything. I'm at the start of Chapter 5. I don't have time to play it this week but I often played it for like 10 hours straight when I first got the game. (Thanks to the holiday)

I love it so far. The pace is a bit slow like expected. Only other The Legend of Heroes I have played is FC on Steam. I like them both but it took me a year to finish FC at around 60 hours and this one came out. I heard that it's a good entry point so I jumped to this one instead of SC. (I don't mind a little bit of waiting to see the conclusion of that cliffhanger.)

What I am afraid is that I might get spoiled of SC by playing this first. Well, I'm on Chapter 5 so I already know about
Prince Olivert. But I'm fine with this because I suspected that he's someone important from FC already.

Can anyone tell me if there is any significant spoilers of SC in this game later on? It's fine if it's just some minor ones. If so, should I go back to SC first? I didn't do that at first because playing FC for 60 hours kinda burn me out a bit. This new one has many new things enough to give me the different feelings about the game. Or I should be fine playing this first then go back to SC later? I plan to Platinum this so I will come back to play this one again after I finish SC. I shouldn't miss all the references to SC on this second time.

I have been reading this thread since I got the game just before new year but couldn't post anything. I'm at the start of Chapter 5. I don't have time to play it this week but I often played it for like 10 hours straight when I first got the game. (Thanks to the holiday)

I love it so far. The pace is a bit slow like expected. Only other The Legend of Heroes I have played is FC on Steam. I like them both but it took me a year to finish FC at around 60 hours and this one came out. I heard that it's a good entry point so I jumped to this one instead of SC. (I don't mind a little bit of waiting to see the conclusion of that cliffhanger.)

What I am afraid is that I might get spoiled of SC by playing this first. Well, I'm on Chapter 5 so I already know about
Prince Olivert. But I'm fine with this because I suspected that he's someone important from FC already.

Can anyone tell me if there is any significant spoilers of SC in this game later on? It's fine if it's just some minor ones. If so, should I go back to SC first? I didn't do that at first because playing FC for 60 hours kinda burn me out a bit. This new one has many new things enough to give me the different feelings about the game. Or I should be fine playing this first then go back to SC later? I plan to Platinum this so I will come back to play this one again after I finish SC. I shouldn't miss all the references to SC on this second time.

Not really.

The only major references to SC are the very subtle kind.

Ch. 6:
The sending of these kids into Field Studies in places waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too hot is really gutsy there, faculty. Wooooooo.

Really liking Alisa in this one; it's sad the brief flat note moments pop up now and then though. It's been a problem here and there in this game. Luckily Crow and Fie are there for some much less dull inappropriate banter.

Droplet

I finished this but not SC and I didn't see anything aside from what you already mentioned, although I think I would've been pissed if I hadn't seen that in SC first :p

welcome :3

Ch. 6:
The sending of these kids into Field Studies in places waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too hot is really gutsy there, faculty. Wooooooo.

Really liking Alisa in this one; it's sad the brief flat note moments pop up now and then though. It's been a problem here and there in this game. Luckily Crow and Fie are there for some much less dull inappropriate banter.

What I really liked about Chapter 6 and her development in all this [late Ch6 spoiler]
is how, despite showing that while Alisa's heart is in the right place, it doesn't undermine the competency and harsh reality of why her mother is doing the things the way she is, and that Alisa, for all intents and purpose, is still but a relatively immature young girl who's acting out of her emotions more than anything else, even if she's starting to realise she has to come to grips with the reality of the company's politics.

Nyoro SF

Finished halfway through chapter 2.

The dialogue is greatly improving from the start of the game. Machias is still pretty dumb and he kind of drags everyone down, but at least his voice actor nails how dumb he is lol. There's a lot of intrigue going on behind the scenes not only from the world but also your own characters.

I'm having fun switching out some Master Quartz and trying new combinations. The amount of available quartz I have available is just nuts. I'm sure I'll be able to post a full breakdown of my thoughts on the orbment system once I complete the game. I'm still kind of not used to being so low on mira all the time (given that completing quests in FC/SC would usually award you big sums of cash on top of the ridiculous exchange rate, it's quite a big change), but it hardly matters.

Nice to see
Bleublanc again and that we can see his whole face after all that stuff he put me through in SC.
Just one example of a significant reference that people will enjoy if they go back to the Sky duology.

To add to the whack 3D animation department; Fie throwing a grenade. I was dying of aughter at the amount of awkward indifference her throwing arm had. And she dropped it basically 2 feet in front of her!

Quick Question- Do the Quartz that give you extra sepith like [Dragon Vein] give any signification increase? And is it per character kill or just after each victory?

This is going to sound really weird but as an importer, I think I just screwed myself out of cross-saves: I bought the game digitally on PS3 from the US store and started playing it two weeks ago, I also installed the free DLC. I was playing with my EU account.
I finally received my Vita copy yesterday, but I can't download my save to my Vita as the game tells me I need to have the same DLC installed on my Vita before I can download my cross-save. Of course I can't install said DLC on my Vita.

Bottom line: if there's any importer like me interested in cross-saves and playing from a non-US account, steer clear from installing the free DLC on your PS3.

Chapter 7, on the hunt for master Quartz. What do you all think is the best? I missed the fishing spot by the mine so am trying to catch a ghost crayfish in the student pond (painful), deciding if it's worth jumping heavily into cooking now considering I've ignored it, and also wondering if I made the right reward choice from Vandyck
what's chevalier like?

Chapter 7, on the hunt for master Quartz. What do you all think is the best? I missed the fishing spot by the mine so am trying to catch a ghost crayfish in the student pond (painful), deciding if it's worth jumping heavily into cooking now considering I've ignored it, and also wondering if I made the right reward choice from Vandyck
what's chevalier like?

About the Master Quartz
The less HP you have, the more damage you can do with your attacks.

Is there a benefit to bonding with the NPCs?
Only bonding trophy and you can get more info about their side of the story. Other than that, none.

On a first playthrough where bonding is limited and its impossible to get all character notes best to focus on your party members to give them more link exp.

Is there a benefit to bonding with the NPCs?

Some of the bonding events with non-Class VII characters would update their Character Notes which you would need for the trophy, however there is no way to tell which are important without using a guide.

Also I just found out that apparently doing all of Sara's bonding event would have a bonus scene later in the game, but it's also anything necessary (in terms of trophy hunting).

IMO, focus on Class VII because bonding events would increase their link levels and those can carry over to NG+.

Top Bottom