• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

max_505

Chapter 6 quest question

In the "Can You Hear Me Now?" quest (the one where you use an orbal wave detector to check the signal strength), what is the max number of buildings with a signal strength of 1?

Famassu

Chapter 6 quest question

In the "Can You Hear Me Now?" quest (the one where you use an orbal wave detector to check the signal strength), what is the max number of buildings with a signal strength of 1?
I think it's five?

(Church, that basement bar, in front of the ??? door, the orbment research place and that one dude's store that fixes orbment stuff, might want to check the skyscraper too in case I forget one and it's actually six places, though I think the characters might comment after the last one, something like "I think we've checked all the places possible", so you'll know you've done the quest then)

max_505

I think it's five?

(Church, that basement bar, in front of the ??? door, the orbment research place and that one dude's store that fixes orbment stuff, might want to check the skyscraper too in case I forget one and it's actually six places, though I think the characters might comment after the last one, something like "I think we've checked all the places possible", so you'll know you've done the quest then)

Thanks!
Only got four. I didn't check in front of the ??? door.

zakujanai

30 hours, still on the first day of the second field trip. I expected to like this game, but nowhere near this much.

The only really negative I can sling at it so far is that it's already magnifying pain of not getting the Crossbell games way beyond levels I'm capable of withstanding.

"Say, did you hear that that thing that happened over in Crossbell?"

No I did not :(

About to start chapter 5, so far really liking the game but wondering if it worth doing an all quests run? So far used a guide make sure I find all quests however hate using a guide 1st playthrough. My problem is that the game is too long for me to do a 2nd playthrough (major time constraints :( ). Does anything transfer to Cs2 and is it worth it?

Famassu

About to start chapter 5, so far really liking the game but wondering if it worth doing an all quests run? So far used a guide make sure I find all quests however hate using a guide 1st playthrough. My problem is that the game is too long for me to do a 2nd playthrough (major time constraints :( ). Does anything transfer to Cs2 and is it worth it?
The Second playthrough is much, MUCH quicker if you just fast forward through all the discussions you've seen already and most of the battles before maybe Chapter 4 or 5. It took me 90 hours for the first playthrough, the second was probably under 20. You do need to finish 40 quests in the second playthrough as well, but they are really fast to do when you don't have to watch some of the lengthy discussions.

Gu4n

Neither Rean nor anyone else in Class VII heard what happened over in Crossbell either.

See my earlier post.

Stuart444

Some stuff transfers, not sure what. I'm using a guide myself after missing a few hidden quests.

From what I've read, there is
chapters in the game? So might as well just do all the quests since you're this far into it now anyway.

Also while I don't plan on doing a second playthrough (for now, maybe if we ever get Trails of Cold Steel 3, I'll do a run through from game 1 to game 3 XD), a second playthrough will probably be shorter since (AFAIK) you can transfer levels and just skip most dialogue you've seen. Dialogue skipping would probably cut down the time it takes to beat it by a significant amount I'd imagine.

Famassu

Some stuff transfers, not sure what. I'm using a guide myself after missing a few hidden quests.

From what I've read, there is
chapters in the game? So might as well just do all the quests since you're this far into it now anyway.

Also while I don't plan on doing a second playthrough (for now, maybe if we ever get Trails of Cold Steel 3, I'll do a run through from game 1 to game 3 XD), a second playthrough will probably be shorter since (AFAIK) you can transfer levels and just skip most dialogue you've seen. Dialogue skipping would probably cut down the time it takes to beat it by a significant amount I'd imagine.
You get 5 usable points when you finish Cold Steel for the first time for use to carrying over things to the second playthrough. If you play through Cold Steel twice, you get 10p for the next playthrough and three times gives you 15p (and that's the max amount of points you can get).

Then, when you load up the game complete save file to start another playthrough, you can spend those points however you like. Carrying over the link levels is free, character lvls, items & such cost 1-2p each, infinite bonding points costs 4p and then there are some costume unlocks that cost points as well. If one is going for Nightmare run, equipment/quartz/items/link levels are pretty much mandatory, not sure if character levels are, could be that with all the high-level equipment & quartz, you could do Nightmare even without having a high level characters.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished the game recently. Really loved it, with a bit more production value behind it, this could really have been a AAA RPG.

Really wanted to do more stuff and spend more time in Legram, the only visually interesting part in the game.

thelegendofheroestraivlqva.png

CrovaxPSO

Recently started the game but only read some things about the trophies halfway through the first actual dungeon, the
Old Schoolhouse
. I didn't scan any of the enemies in the very first part of the game, the
flashback
. Will I encounter them and the boss from that bit again? Or will it have to wait until NG+?

Recently started the game but only read some things about the trophies halfway through the first actual dungeon, the
Old Schoolhouse
. I didn't scan any of the enemies in the very first part of the game, the
flashback
. Will I encounter them and the boss from that bit again? Or will it have to wait until NG+?
Those do not count. If you check your notebook, they don't show up at all.

pixxxelz

Anybody know if the costumes from this (the ones you unlock not the dlc ones) are transfered to ToCS 2? Kinda want to give the game another round to unlock them all.

zakujanai

Neither Rean nor anyone else in Class VII heard what happened over in Crossbell either.

I know and so far the game works just fine by itself. I'd even go so far as to say this could be played before Trails in the Sky without it really ruining either game (so far at least), it's just all the little nods and teases it's throwing at me. Also, it's clear from the very first scene though that the story is on course to merge with whatever is going on in Crossbell.

Why do I have to go to work? Even transferred my save to my Vita version because I'm tempted to try and squeeze a bit more in but I think I'll just wait until I can get home and really soak it in properly.

Think I might've run into a glitch or something in chapter 6

I'm on a second playthrough on nightmare and
chose the Fire & Ice guns for Crow for the kill 10 owls quest and I've killed at least 40 and the quest never finished. I made sure to change MQ and everything to make sure it wasn't deathblow kills and even killed them with a regular attack and no dice.

For the people outside of spoilers, make sure you make a separate save slot as soon as you hit the second day of the field study just in case it really is an actual glitch (though I think this is a glitch only on the second playthrough). Saw someone on Gamefaqs run into it, but there's no confirmation.

Lusankya

Okay, good to know. I did check but figured they weren't there since I didn't scan them. Thanks!

Enemies will show up in the notebook as soon as you encounter them. Although most of their stats will just show as ??? and you need to defeat them a few times in order to fill all the ??? with info. Using analyze is just to make sure you always get all the info right away. There are also enemies you encounter one single time and you want to make sure to analyze them immediately.

Think I might've run into a glitch or something in chapter 6

I'm on a second playthrough on nightmare and
chose the Fire & Ice guns for Crow for the kill 10 owls quest and I've killed at least 40 and the quest never finished. I made sure to change MQ and everything to make sure it wasn't deathblow kills and even killed them with a regular attack and no dice.

For the people outside of spoilers, make sure you make a separate save slot as soon as you hit the second day of the field study just in case it really is an actual glitch (though I think this is a glitch only on the second playthrough). Saw someone on Gamefaqs run into it, but there's no confirmation.

Are you sure you have the right weapons equipped, the game auto-equips them so if you switched you might have taken them off. This happened to me.

Are you sure you have the right weapons equipped, the game auto-equips them so if you switched you might have taken them off. This happened to me.

Yup.
It's the fire and ice guns. I checked after I reloaded an older save just to make sure.

Edit: Just redid the quest with
choosing Fie's weapons and the quest finished after I killed the 10th. That was super weird that it didn't work for Crow.

Famassu

Yup.
It's the fire and ice guns. I checked after I reloaded an older save just to make sure.

Edit: Just redid the quest with
choosing Fie's weapons and the quest finished after I killed the 10th. That was super weird that it didn't work for Crow.

I think someone described the same bug earlier in the thread. If you chose Fie on the first playthrough and another character on the second playthrough, it wouldn't work with the other character but would somehow work with Fie even though you didn't choose her on the second playthrough.

Oldsql

Could someone explain to me the use of the German language in this game? Is it just something Japanese developer use to make it sound different or more interesting?

Famassu

Could someone explain to me the use of the German language in this game? Is it just something Japanese developer use to make it sound different or more interesting?
Sometimes, yes, sometimes it's a way for translators to add some flair to the translation when it makes sense for the English translation to not actually be English since the original Japanese word used might've implied a foreign origin (so sometimes the Japanese original name might've been in English/Engrish, so when translating it makes sense if the name is something foreign to English as English item names are to Japanese). Or something like that. So instead of something being, like, Fire Sword, if the point is for the weapon to have foreign origin or maybe based on some ancient mythology, they might call it Feuerschwert. Just as a bad example. ;P
I hope google translate translated fire sword correctly and I didn't just write fire-penis or something :p

Thanks for the advice will carry on doing all the quests. Currently on the free day - kinda weird to introduce
2 new party membersout of the blue.
any point investing time in them?

panzone

30 hours, still on the first day of the second field trip. I expected to like this game, but nowhere near this much.

The only really negative I can sling at it so far is that it's already magnifying pain of not getting the Crossbell games way beyond levels I'm capable of withstanding.

I have the same problem. The entire world talks about what's happening in Crossbell and I really want to know.

Well, during the June field trip the party talks about something major happened in Crossbell City during May so they know it.

Famassu

Thanks for the advice will carry on doing all the quests. Currently on the free day - kinda weird to introduce
2 new party membersout of the blue.
any point investing time in them?
There's the "ultimate" bonding event near the end of the game that you can only have if you have high enough link with them (I think it's 3500exp/lvl 4 for those two late additions) + fulfill one of the other requirements. So if you're going for Platinum, you can't ignore them completely.

Stuart444

Meant to ask this the other day. Is Trails of Cold Steal louder (both dialogue wise and just in general) than many other games?

Normally the volume on my TV is a lot louder but with Trails, I actually need to put it down compared to what I do with other games.

Not complaining though. (especially since the dialogue is easy to hear even over the music which makes me happy)

Meant to ask this the other day. Is Trails of Cold Steal louder (both dialogue wise and just in general) than many other games?

Normally the volume on my TV is a lot louder but with Trails, I actually need to put it down compared to what I do with other games.

Not complaining though. (especially since the dialogue is easy to hear even over the music which makes me happy)

I have exactly the same issue. I have to turn it downing my receiver for this game. I think it has something to do with the game only being in stereo and not 5.1

Hobbun

I’ve actually started Trails in the Sky: FC for the second time, now. I’ve had the same issue as some others have mentioned on the slow start of the game. I just really need to power through. I mean it’s not bad by any means, but I don’t have that “I have to play right now” feeling when I really get into a game. I know it can be different for each person, but in most people’s experience, when would you say the game really starts to pick up (chapter-wise)?

I know it’s been said you can play Cold Steel, first, but I do want to get through FC and SC before I do that.

I am not that far into FC right now at all, only just completed the
Perzel Farm,
so I know I have a long ways to go and won’t be getting to Cold Steel for quite a while yet.

Famassu

I personally thought Chapter 2 already has some pretty fun & exciting twists and turns in Trails in the Sky FC. Prior to that it's more of a saturday cartoon-y affair (pretty entertaining one, but nothing overly amazing), but Chapter 2 is the point where it starts to show off some more intriguing things & better character interactions. Chapter 3 starts off a bit slow again but it also has some interesting stuff & ends on a high note and it mostly keeps on going from there, somewhat slowed down by side-quests if you choose to do them.

Gu4n

I’ve actually started Trails in the Sky: FC for the second time, now. I’ve had the same issue as some others have mentioned on the slow start of the game. I just really need to power through. I mean it’s not bad by any means, but I don’t have that “I have to play right now” feeling when I really get into a game. I know it can be different for each person, but in most people’s experience, when would you say the game really starts to pick up (chapter-wise)?

I know it’s been said you can play Cold Steel, first, but I do want to get through FC and SC before I do that.

Perzel Farm,
so I know I have a long ways to go and won’t be getting to Cold Steel for quite a while yet.
It took me two years to get through FC; it took me one year to get through the six games that followed. The moment FC 'sticked' for me was, just like Famassu said, during Chapter 2, which has some highly memorable scenes.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm up to chapter 3 now. Awesome stuff so far, but I was a little bit disappointed to find out that there are missable quests :/

I'm up to chapter 3 now. Awesome stuff so far, but I was a little bit disappointed to find out that there are missable quests :/

The platinum guide is pretty great for that fairly spoiler free and you won't miss anything

Perzel Farm,

There was a 1-2 punch when FC went from "good old school jrpg" to something special. The first is a scene during I believe chapter 2
school play
. The other was when I realized all the npc dialogue was rapidly changing and updating based upon every little action I took or didn't in the story and almost all of them had story lines ongoing through each chapter that had nothing to do but help making the world feel alive.

Stuart444

Wow, Laura is OP.

End of Chapter 5 spoilers:
With Attack 1 - 3 on, her Master Quartz which puts her STR up at the beginning of battle + the Domination Quartz on her + her CP at 200. Her S-break did over 50k dmg to Scarlet. S-break order was Sara -> Emma -> Rean -> Laura All 3 enemies were still alive until Laura used hers and finished all 3 off.

It was GLORIOUS!

Lusankya

Actually, yes. It's quite often used in anime and video games, at least when they have a fantasy setting. There is no specific reason and it mostly depends on the preferences of the director. Maybe here it's used to accentuate the fact that the world has nothing to do with Japan and is rather based on Europe.

German seems to be the official language in the Erebonian Empire. Most of the names are German and on the radio the moderator says something like "I call it 'Abend Time' after the word for 'evening'." So imagine everyone is actually speaking German and it is only translated into Japanese/English for the convenience of the players.

Gu4n

Actually, yes. It's quite often used in anime and video games, at least when they have a fantasy setting. There is no specific reason and it mostly depends on the preferences of the director. Maybe here it's used to accentuate the fact that the world has nothing to do with Japan and is rather based on Europe.

German seems to be the official language in the Erebonian Empire. Most of the names are German and on the radio the moderator says something like "I call it 'Abend Time' after the word for 'evening'." So imagine everyone is actually speaking German and it is only translated into Japanese/English for the convenience of the players.
Founder of the German Empire, Otto von Bismarck, gained the nickname "Iron Chancellor" through realpolitik, operated under emperor Wilhelm I, juggled with international relations to expand his empire, gave a speech titled "Blood and Iron" about the unification of German territories in 1862, and pushed for a railway system in Germany afterwards. Yes, Falcom's source of inspiration for Erebonia is quite evident.

Founder of the German Empire, Otto von Bismarck, gained the nickname "Iron Chancellor" through realpolitik, operated under emperor Wilhelm I, juggled with international relations to expand his empire, gave a speech titled "Blood and Iron" about the unification of German territories in 1862, and pushed for a railway system in Germany afterwards. Yes, Falcom's source of inspiration for Erebonia is quite evident.

I wasn't aware any of that. That's awesome.

I don't know why but I feel so overwhelmed by Heimdallr. The quests aren't that bad but I like to squeeze out every possible line of diologue I can out of the NPC's. Especially the ones you see show up from another area/chapter.

Gu4n

I wasn't aware any of that. That's awesome.
They did a much better job on concealing Liberl's source of inspiration, which was modelled after Thailand, officially known as the Kingdom of Thailand, the only southeast Asian nation that never got colonised by Europe thanks to its able monarchs and served as a buffer state between those colonial powers.

Damn , chapter 6 final boss...

28 minutes , 4.8 bonus xp ... 1 retry .. you can't let your guard down ... what an intense boss fight ..

This game's magnificent .

And claire and sharon dialog at the end was superb...

The IFL ain't no slouch. C was pretty damn tough.

Nuu

Banned
Should I get the Lionheart edition or the standard?

I may only want the former as it may go up in price in the future. Then again I recall getting burnt by FFXII way back when.

Should I get the Lionheart edition or the standard?

I may only want the former as it may go up in price in the future. Then again I recall getting burnt by FFXII way back when.

It's only $10 more and it comes in a beautiful box that'll hold both CS1 and 2 when that comes out, along with a very nice artbook (that you probably shouldn't look at until you finish the two games though the book will tell when you start hitting spoiler territory), and some pins. I'd recommend the Lionheart, but it doesnt really matter.

Shouta

I haven't touched the game recently but as I recall, the game uses a bunch of styles of architecture that also reflects how diverse Germany was at one point too before it became a unified country. It's not one to one but it's meant to give you that impression if you're familiar with that kind of thing.

Question about Link Points and conversations: Is it possible to max out links in one playthrough? The first free day gives 2 link points and 3 possible link conversations during the day, so you have to choose.

Just curious how aggressive I'll need to be with prioritizing links.

Saphirax

Question about Link Points and conversations: Is it possible to max out links in one playthrough? The first free day gives 2 link points and 3 possible link conversations during the day, so you have to choose.

Just curious how aggressive I'll need to be with prioritizing links.

You can't max all of them in one playthrough. People usually get 4-6 maxed, and then the rest on their second playthrough.

"And then a bunch of eventful stuff happened that strengthened our bonds and showed just how much we'd changed as people but I won't tell you about any of it because this 80 hour game respects your time"

Fuck you Rean. You shit.

Top Bottom