• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Koren

How do you equip horse items?

He sold me (item spoilers?):

- Bokoblin, Moblin and Lizalfos masks, which means they won't attack me when I approach them without attacking them myself, they just come up to you and act all curious towards you. I even started sharing some apples with two Bokoblins at one point, and they almost got in a fight because one of them grabbed all the apples before the other one could.
Damn, this detail is nothing short of wonderful...

I've only been offered the first one... and nothing else you're talking about. I guess I need to finish dungeons to broaden the offer...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
When one of the most common criticisms is "it rains too much" you know some folks are reaching.
I know climbing is harder when it rains, but by mid game there are 3 ways to overcome that, stamina, Divine power and equipment.

And Rain means free shield glides, how can you not like that?

DeathPeak

It seems like it's raining more frequently as I complete more shrines. Earlier in the game, it didn't seem to me like it was raining enough to warrant the complaints. I'm 25 shrines away from 120 and now it rains like every 10-15 minutes.

Golnei

I actually have had literally the exact opposite situation haha. "I need to see Kilton! Time to start teleporting to random towns. Oh hey, first try, lol"

I had no idea it was possible for him to not spawn - since he was always there when I was actively looking for him and his placement is fairly out of the way, I assumed he'd be in every town at night, like Beedle.

It's really telling how deeply ingrained OoT is in my brain that when it starts raining in BotW, my first thought is "Hang on, let me get out my ocarina..."

Majukun

It seems like it's raining more frequently as I complete more shrines. Earlier in the game, it didn't seem to me like it was raining enough to warrant the complaints. I'm 25 shrines away from 120 and now it rains like every 10-15 minutes.

it is probably has something to do with the regions you are visiting..any region seems to have a specific chance to get a given weather

I discovered one of these yesterday. Can't remember where (really wish I could. Thinking Faron or Tabantha, based on recent travels) but it was immediately obvious yet pleasantly surprising.

Korok seeds are just one way that BotW leaves you to discover solutions on your own with the perfect amount of visual prompt.

Of the 900, does anyone know if there are any particularly noteworthy/obscure/difficult seeds to collect? Maybe one which stands out more than others.

the
Hyrule Castle ones are fun, all you have to do is climb all the way up

DLaicH

I know climbing is harder when it rains, but by mid game there are 3 ways to overcome that, stamina, Divine power and equipment.

And Rain means free shield glides, how can you not like that?

What do you mean "free shield glides"? Do you mean shields don't take damage when shield surfing in the rain?

-Horizon-

I just only now saw the digital foundry thing about the new update. I figured the wii u version didn't get much of an improvement.

spock

Got a second wind after feeling a bit bored for a couple days. Glad to still got a lot to see and do. Think I took to long early on with some things.

Zautruche

Banned
How is that reaching?

You can harvest a lot of wood & flint for free with bombs.It's everywhere.
You can see the rain coming and have plenty of time to find a place to make a fire.
The game warns you and give you the possibility to skip it, but yet it's the game fault you refuse to do so ? Yes it is reaching.

You would think after being annoyed by the rain over and over, people would start learning how to deal with it instead of whining and saying to the world how inept they are at the game.

Good Lord...Just bumped into (last night rather) a L
ynel
in D
eplian Badlands
. It took me forever to kill it! Kept dying. I tell ya' the S
avage Lynel Crusher
is no joke. Even if you mange to trigger a furry strike (w/e it is called), the shock wave from the impact can still damage you. Felt good when I defeated it though. After defeating the L
ynel
I went to T
hyphlo Ruins
and did the S
hrouded Shrine quest
. It was very interesting.

Koren

OK, I feel stupid for missing the
cloth shop in Kakariko
for an awful lot of time (I'm barely missing a couple shrines). I definitively saw it, didn't enter right away, and forgot I never entered. Same for the other one in the next village.

I feel... that it would have been handy (I understand why people say it's too easy to get, and to easy when you use them)

With
Revali's Gale
I don't have an issue scaling most mountains come rain or shine.

Even without it the whole idea of finding cover to camp and wait out the rain is so freaking immersive. BOTW is all about these emergent systems working together to make a place that feels alive, and not just a series of checkpoints.

sanstesy

tumblr_o8s0cwAIUl1v73t1fo1_500.jpg
#

"how are you supposed to go to the
lost woods
again?" holy shit

I love that this all actually works as we thought it would when we first saw it at E3 2016.

Peltz

I was interested in the thread but I left as soon as I read that BotW was going to be the GTA 4 of 2017 and people will start hating it soon. That's my cue to start ignoring the noise and play the game in peace.

Besides, by now I know all the criticisms people have with the game. Weapon durability, not enough rewards, no traditional dungeons and weak ending. Personally I only agree with the ending, and even then I already read all there is to read about it. I'm good.
Yea that thread is a real buzz kill. I love classic 2D Zelda, I love 3D Zeldas, and I love this. There's no one "correct" interpretation of Zelda gameplay.

LiK

The English voice acting wasn't as awful as I expected but it wasn't impressive at all. Still had that issue where they rushed it a bit to fit the Japanese lip sync so it's kinda old school that way. Hopefully they do a better job for the next game. They also need to learn to let people choose language options in the game. Let people decide what they want.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I much prefer this thread over the 'those who favor older Zelda' one. I'm perfectly fine with people prefering older Zeldas, though I'm not one of them, but some people in there acting like it's a shit game is depressing.

I don't think anyone has acted like it's a shit game. It's just a shit fit for some people's gaming tastes/preferences, and that's fine as no game is going to be for everyone.

I'm glad that thread got posted, has stayed civil and stayed open though. I think big games sometimes need an OT like this that's mostly people playing and enjoying the game, and a space for more critical discussion by the minority who aren't liking it (or aren't like it as much). That both keeps OTs pleasant places for people to discuss the game, while not drowning out the dissenting minority view. Best of both worlds IMO. Review threads really should do the latter, but here they end up focused on discussing critical reviews rather than users offering and debating their own opinions unfortunately.

jariw

You can harvest a lot of wood & flint for free with bombs.It's everywhere.
You can see the rain coming and have plenty of time to find a place to make a fire.
The game warns you and give you the possibility to skip it, but yet it's the game fault you refuse to do so ? Yes it is reaching.

You would think after being annoyed by the rain over and over, people would start learning how to deal with it instead of whining and saying to the world how inept they are at the game.

Absolutely. Weather (except the story-related/scripted weather) and ToD is pretty much in the control of the player.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
After exploring Hyrule Castle, hunting a few Lynels and finding the
Coliseum
, I'm swimming in good weapons. I think the best ones I've found so far is a
~100ish attack Royal Guard Claymore
and a
96 attack Lynel sword
. The strongest stuff I've seen.

I was actually
throwing away most of the elemental weapons I found in the Coliseum because I was full of other good stuff from Hyrule Castle
. It's crazy.

I wish your h
ouse had more equipment mounts/storage. I filled up most of the slots with the Champions' equipment.

Then I got two blood moons back to back because that's just how blood moons work in my game every now and then.

gweemz

Can someone tell me if you need to have everything registered with the camera for 100 percent? I missed taking a pic of one of the bosses in the divine beasts.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
After exploring Hyrule Castle, hunting a few Lynels and finding the
Coliseum
, I'm swimming in good weapons. I think the best ones I've found so far is a
~100ish attack Royal Guard Claymore
and a
96 attack Lynel sword
. The strongest stuff I've seen.

I was actually
throwing away most of the elemental weapons I found in the Coliseum because I was full of other good stuff from Hyrule Castle
. It's crazy.

I wish your h
ouse had more equipment mounts/storage. I filled up most of the slots with the Champions' equipment.

Then I got two blood moons back to back because that's just how blood moons work in my game every now and then.
I wish it was like this.

BrEecO3.gif

Can someone tell me if you need to have everything registered with the camera for 100 percent? I missed taking a pic of one of the bosses in the divine beasts.
You can buy pictures at
the Hateno Tech Lab.

For all the talk of "I want classic dungeons back!" I actually don't think that's the right move. I think the problem is people keep trying to frame Breath of the Wild as traditional 3D Zelda with a much bigger Hyrule field instead of accepting that the structure is fundamentally different on every level. Whereas in the past the meat of the game was the dungeons and everything else was glorified connective tissue, this time it's the world that's the real star of the game.

I get why people like dungeons, but plopping in the dungeons from say, Twilight Princess and calling it a day runs against the design philosophy of the game. A large, gated area distinct from the overworld with a comparatively specific path, gated behind unlockable items completely conflicts with the open nature of BotW. The Divine Beasts feel more like a concession in that regard, but even then the approach is far more open than past dungeons and there's no item gating for access and completion as there was in the past. Shrines are segregated from the overall world, but then there's a big difference from a 5-minute challenge room and being locked away from the open world for an hour. Hyrule Castle is frequently cited at the best approach going forwards, but then you wind up dealing with the extremes of BotW's formula where you can literally just do a couple "super jumps" and glide right to the boss room.

Again, I get why people are so attached to dungeons and I don't think they should be abandoned outright. But I do think they'll need to be drastically rethought going forwards because Breath of the Wild but with the Forest Temple plopped in isn't going to work, IMO.

I couldn't be happier to see the dungeons take a backseat. Having recently completed TP HD, it got to the point that I approached dungeons but reluctantly. I began to see them as something to get through or endure rather than explore and enjoy. Rather like housework in that regard. I found many of them tedious, frankly, and I'm happy to see them replaced with the Shrine's micro-challenges, the labyrinths, and the environmental puzzles that dot the landscape.

Top Bottom