• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Crayolan

See my problem is I thought the world was unnecessarily large and I think some of that space could be taken up by dungeons. I mean, this game is absolutely massive. That's just not an excuse to me at all. The world size shouldn't compromise this stuff to me. It's just backwards to me.

So make it smaller. If you reduced the size of the world by 30% it would still be ridiculously massive.

You think the world is "compromising" the dungeons, but I think the world can't be compromising the dungeons because the dungeons were never the focus. The world is the main attraction of BotW, the dungeons are secondary.

If anything, I think the devs may have been worried about the main quest compromising the world design, which is why they left the main quest so open ended.

So much wasted time in this. Starting to overstay its welcome with me.

Then just go fight Ganon and finish the game. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. The game lasts as long as you want it to.

So is night and day. How dare the game do make things depend on the ingame time? Player should always be able to take on and solve each and every quest! No silly world building should get into the way.

I remember going to Zoras Village without stamina upgrades or climbing gear in constant rain and still being able to climb half the mountain while avoiding much of the preset, monster riddled path. It only ever took a couple of seconds to make out viable paths that where doable without too much climbing. Sounds to me like overdramatizing the rain's effects. You people make it sound, like it was some insufferably annoying thing outright preventing you from playing the game. It's a cool world mechanic for me that I have no control over and which requires me to rethink an approach in very rare occasions. Which takes all of three seconds.
I don't think night and day are bad mechanics? I don't think I've ever said I dislike world building either? I'm not sure how you got that from "I don't like rain".

Me saying I don't like a particular aspect of a game does not mean hey, this game is ruined. You make it sound like anyone thinking there are flaws to the game hate it somehow.

You think the world is "compromising" the dungeons, but I think the world can't be compromising the dungeons because the dungeons were never the focus. The world is the main attraction of BotW, the dungeons are secondary.

If anything, I think the devs may have been worried about the main quest compromising the world design, which is why they left the main quest so open ended.

I get that. I'm just trying to explain why I wasn't completely sold on it :p

Still a 10/10 game IMO. But these are things I feel can be improved. If they made the perfect ultimate Zelda there wouldn't be much where else to go.

psyfi

Banned
I've been meaning to whine about this here since launch, but man, the title screen has got to be the worst in series history.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
You know, I've read a lot of your criticisms regarding this game over the last few days and I've really appreciated hearing your perspective. I obviously don't share your particular gaming tastes (I'm not much for overly linear, narrative-focused games as of late) but your impressions seem genuine, well-reasoned, and offer insight into a particular gaming mindset that's not at all uncommon. It sucks that BotW didn't click with you as much as it did with me. Hope the next Zelda has more of what you're looking for without losing what I like so much about this one.

Thanks man. I hate drive by posts, and short hyperbolic hot takes on games so I try to be a bit more articulate in expressing my views even if most posts end up being viewed as walls of text and get the tldr; treatment by the Twitter-set. :D Nice to know some actually read them!

Are people climbing that much that rain causes issues? It tells you when its gonna rain :/

I mean a huge design of the game is climbing to high points so you can spot shrines and other things to explore, or get high so you can paraglide as traversal is painfully (IMO) slow on foot/horse.

It's clearly not an issue (or much less frequent an issue) for people who just love exploring and traversing open worlds, while it is for people like me that fast travel constantly when able in most open world games as we just want to get to high ground and paraglide to get their ASAP and not spend time playing a walking sim along the way due to the smaller amount of fast travel points available.

So much wasted time in this. Starting to overstay its welcome with me.

Finish it up if you haven't and move on. There are few things more futile than burning yourself out on a game once you start feeling like that. It does nothing but sour your take on a game. Games are meant to be fun and people shouldn't feel any guilt walking away (or taking a break and coming back later) when they stop being fun. Too many great games out there to spend time on games you've stopped enjoying for the time being.

Cuburt

Actually, if it is raining, thunder arrows, on impact (don't remember if you have to hit an enemy or the ground or both) the arrow will release a discharge of electricity that that will shock all near by enemies, and your self if your not careful/ too close (visual effect similar to the electric lizard guys when they unleash a discharge). I believe it also does this if the thunder arrow hits a metal object.

Wow you are right. I remember trying to test it by shooting the ground and an enemy in the rain before and being disappointed that there was no additional effect at the time, so I didn't bother using shock arrows in rain because of that but I tried shocking an enemy just now in the rain and it does work.

I've been meaning to whine about this here since launch, but man, the title screen has got to be the worst in series history.
It is quite boring. Would have loved an OoT quality title screen.

That said, I think I've seen it like twice total lol.

pringles

Co-signed.

I'm about 115 hours in with three Divine Beasts done (on my way to the fourth now), and am really starting to wish there was more. I absolutely love the scale of Hyrule in BotW.
Same. The scale is perfect. 150 hours in and I've explored most of the map and I would really struggle to remove any of it. It's just so wonderfully crafted.

Burny

I don't think night and day are bad mechanics? I don't think I've ever said I dislike world building either? I'm not sure how you got that from "I don't like rain".

They're both analogous. They're environmental effects of the game world, which you can't control, but which require you to postpone or change an approach to certain things in the game. You can't take certain quests at night or day. You can't do ertain action when it's raining.

KahooTs

If anything is the problem, it's the small starting inventory space and the steep price of upgrades. I think if they had been a little more lenient there, the weapon durability would be a complete non-issue from the start.

That early game fresh off the plateau when survivability was an actual component due to your limitations was the most engaging of the game.

TheJoRu

I want it to be even bigger. I love it.

Same here, lol. It's not that there's too little (that would be ludicrous to say), it's just that I could never get enough. When I play I kinda tend to look at the world in individual chunks. So, for example, the desert. It's fairly sizeable. But part of me just keeps thinking that "for a desert this isn't really all that big", even though from a larger perspective as one of many areas it's really impressive.

Because, obviously, once you put all the different areas together it's really big. But it's not like it goes on and on and on; at first the world may seem dauntingly huge, but familiarity sinks in eventually and then it doesn't feel that big anymore. I love exploring this world so much, I would never say no to even bigger landscapes.

They're both analogous. They're environmental effects of the game world, which you can't control, but which require you to postpone or change an approach to certain things in the game. You can't take certain quests at night or day. You can't do ertain action when it's raining.
I don't feel like these are as equivalent as you think they are.

bronson

tumblr_ml28j2DsRn1qzmfgzo1_400.gif
How has this not been edited with Link's face yet?

A little late to this but here's a quick and dirty job.

qEBHbQD.gif

LordKano

Why was the Lynel near the Zora's village so freaking hard to kill ? Am I not supposed to be here ? I got him, but I died so many times.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Oh I hate time of day specific things in games too. Anything that delays, slows down or makes me wait to do what I want to do gets on my nerves.

Rain when wanting to climb is just a much more frequent occurrence than having to use fires and waiting to hit a certain time of day for a shrine quest etc. Both are annoying to me for similar reasons.

I like Majora's Mask a lot less than I would otherwise from having to deal with the time element and NPC schedules.

As you can gather, I'm just not a patient gamer. I want to be constantly engaged and constantly making progress and when things get in the way of that it irks me and lessens my opinion of the game.

A lot of it is also just open world, and big/long game in general, for me as well. I'm looking forward to wrapping up ME:A and being done with big games for a bit and focusing on some stuff like MK8, Overwatch etc. where I can just play for fun and not have down time, feel like I'm grinding to the ending etc. for a while.

Why was the Lynel near the Zora's village so freaking hard to kill ? Am I not supposed to be here ? I got him, but I died so many times.

Tough enemy that you and most find early game, and who several NPCs encourage you to sneak around to gather the arrows etc. rather than confront. So yeah, you weren't "supposed" to kill it yet. No reason not to if you can pull it off as you do, but the game does encourage stealth and avoidance at that point if you talked to the NPCs rather than stumbling upon it first.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
A few hours into the game, starting to get the hang of everything, running to a tower to unlock the map.

See a Guardian patrolling nearby, it's OK I'm far enough it won't see me, Ill just sneak past it.

Laser locks onto me, I panic but it's OK I can outrun it. First laser shot misses, hah this aint so bad.

Second laser shot hits me in the back of the head, insta killed.

fuuuuuu

LordKano

Tough enemy that you and most find early game, and who several NPCs encourage you to sneak around to gather the arrows etc. rather than confront. So yeah, you weren't "supposed" to kill it yet. No reason not to if you can pull it off as you do, but the game does encourage stealth and avoidance at that point if you talked to the NPCs rather than stumbling upon it first.

They did tell me to sneak upon him, but that's coward strategy, I blazed right in front of him like real heroes do.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Reading this thread I can't seem to shake off the question to you players if this game with 97% on average is a bit... overrated?

I'd say no as I hate the notion of things being over or underrated.

I wouldn't give it anywhere near a 9.7, but I can accept that it's just a case where my tastes don't match the critics or mainstream consensus.

Much like the GTA games, though those I actively dislike where as I still think BOTW is a solid 8.5 type of game for me personally and can really appreciate the craft of what they did--even the parts that go against my preferences.

Reading this thread I can't seem to shake off the question to you players if this game with 97% on average is a bit... overrated?

Most, maybe, all of use have been playing Zelda games since forever.

This one breaks the Zelda tradition in a grand scale. Of course we would be much more critical of certain aspects.

I find the game to be amazing (but far from my favorite in the series) and a step in the right direction for the series. It would be a big mistake to go back to the classic formula immediately. They've got the structure, just need to iron out other aspects.

Wind Waker still the king in this regard.

I thought the title screen was for sure just going to be a looming shot of when you walk out of the Shrine of Resurrection. Nope

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I find the game to be amazing (but far from my favorite in the series) and a step in the right direction for the series. It would be a big mistake to go back to the classic formula immediately. They've got the structure, just need to iron out other aspects.

Even with all my qualms I think it would be a mistake to EVER go back to the classic OOT formula. Though I think that (or the LTTP formula) are fine for lower budget 2D entries.

What they need to do is find ways to improve by blending the best parts of BOTW, the OOT formula and new ideas in future installments.

The OOT formula had plenty of games. I also hope they don't repeat that trend and give us 10 years of BOTW formula with relatively minor tweaks like they did after OOT. Keep innovating Nintendo. I prefer that even if I sometimes like games less than past installments because of it.

KahooTs

I feel like there was supposed to be differentiation between food and elixirs where there is none. Would not be surprised if it was once the intention that you could not pause and eat during combat, but you could pop elixirs.

Crayolan

The game has some issues and a few things which people are divisive on (like durability) but what the game does well is done really, really, really well.

Positives far outweigh the negatives for most people.

ckfy63a

Reposting for the new OT since I didn't get an answer last time: is there any way to check if all the Treasure Chests within a Divine Beast have been collected, similar to the Treasure Chest icon that appears on the map next to completed shrines?

Vibed

That shrine in the Southern mountains where you have to
roll a giant snowball in front of a pedestal during a specific time of day so it's shadow overlaps
was hard. At a certain point
the ball gets so big you can't roll it so I had to carefully use stasis to make sure it landed in the proper pond.
Still, figuring out the solution to it was satisfying because it was very much a "I don't think this will work but let's try anyway" moment.

Vibed

Reposting for the new OT since I didn't get an answer last time: is there any way to check if all the Treasure Chests within a Divine Beast have been collected, similar to the Treasure Chest icon that appears on the map next to completed shrines?
The only way to check is when you're within the Beast, use your radar.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That shrine in the Southern mountains where you have to
roll a giant snowball in front of a pedestal during a specific time of day so it's shadow overlaps
was hard. At a certain point
the ball gets so big you can't roll it so I had to carefully use stasis to make sure it landed in the proper pond.
Still, figuring out the solution to it was satisfying because it was very much a "I don't think this will work but let's try anyway" moment.

You could have just
used Cryonis on the puddle

What happens if you
dont get the heart container at the end of a dungeon? I skipped them because I just want three hearts

Im thinking it's impossible for me to get them again.

Nah. Most of us have our critiques, many even, but the general consensus here is that it's still a legitimately incredible game. I myself have plenty of things I think could be improved or altered, but in the end I would still call it a legitimate 10/10 and the greatest game Ive ever played. And that's something I don't say lightly. That title was held by Metroid Prime for a solid 14+ years.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Haha,
I tried that and it seemed like the shadow wasn't quite overlapping with the spot necessary.

My way was more fun. :p

Also you could have just
held up a smaller snowball on the edge of the cliff at the right time

It deserves all 60 As, 5/5s, 10s, and BUY ITs it got.

But of course, there's room for improvement (my #1 request is the ability to switch to the next weapon on the fly, #2 would be better performance.)

Mistle

I feel like there was supposed to be differentiation between food and elixirs where there is none. Would not be surprised if it was once the intention that you could not pause and eat during combat, but you could pop elixirs.

yeah i kind of got this feeling too when i made a heart elixir and thought "why does this exist?". either changed to make things easier, or the "hard" mode will have this restriction

I've put 90 hours in and it feels like a third of that. Most single player games end up boring myself after way less than that.

Uncharted 4 is a 10 for many people and to me in terms of fun was a 6. The GTA and RDR games are cool for a while but I very rarely play things outside of the main story because it all feels like filler and traversing the world is a chore and not very exciting outside of the missions.

Only puzzle or competitive games like rocket league our overwatch are the ones that can grab me for long periods and keep me coming back for more.

I think this Zelda is the first single player game to generate in me that kind of addiction and, of course there will be a moment were the game will stop providing me with content I want to play (don't think ill go past 300 korok seeds). I think this game will end up giving me at least about 150 hours of pure fun and I sure as hell haven't had so much of it with any other game before, let alone another Zelda game.

So I'm not sure if this game is a 9.7 or a 10 but I really can't think of many other games that deserve to be on top of it right now. Mario 64 perhaps.

Spinifex

I've personally put 200 hours into this game and have thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm a huge open world fan and this is easily the best open world game I've ever played -- it having a Zelda polish and theme is really just a delicious icing on the cake. It deserves every 10 it got.

I'm playing HZD now and it too is a great game with a phenomenal combat system, but I can't shake the feeling of having descended from heaven and am now just playing regular games again.

Think I'm gonna wrap this game up, it's the only thing I've played in the past month and I'm nearing 150 hours. Only have like 17 shrines left but I think I'm gonna finish the last divine beast and finish off Ganon. I'll come back later and finish the rest off later. It's been a blast exploring this world but persona 5 and horizon need to be played.

Top Bottom