• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Also you could have just
held up a smaller snowball on the edge of the cliff at the right time
I didn't even need the
snowball
, I just used cryonisis because I didn't notice the
snowball fell off when I was waiting
. It still worked. lol

Enforced

I failed to defeat the White Maned Lynel at
Lanayru Road East Gate
:(
I will defeat this guy next time.
angry2.gif

Is there anything/anyone in-game that keeps track of how many overworld bosses
(Taluses, Hinoxes, etc.)
you've defeated? I just need a yes or no answer. Thanks!

Kaban

That shrine in the Southern mountains where you have to
roll a giant snowball in front of a pedestal during a specific time of day so it's shadow overlaps
was hard. At a certain point
the ball gets so big you can't roll it so I had to carefully use stasis to make sure it landed in the proper pond.
Still, figuring out the solution to it was satisfying because it was very much a "I don't think this will work but let's try anyway" moment.

If this is the shrine I'm thinking of, you don't have to
roll it at all. I just picked the snowball up without rolling it and held it above my head until the shrine's base lit up. Then I positioned myself at the ledge so that its shadow lined up perfectly.

boiled goose

good with gravy
That early game fresh off the plateau when survivability was an actual component due to your limitations was the most engaging of the game.

Agreed. To me the game eventually levels off and becomes repetitive. Encounters are routine rather than risky. Exploration in harsh environments trivialized by good gear.

Is there anything/anyone in-game that keeps track of how many overworld bosses
(Taluses, Hinoxes, etc.)
you've defeated? I just need a yes or no answer. Thanks!

Yes and no really.

Kilton tells you how many of those exist,but only keeps track of unique kills (like location), you can keep defeating the same Hinox over and over again, but he wont track those.

So mostly no for your question
How do I get the password in Gerudo town?
go to the next house and listen in to their conversation. There's three Gerudos discussing it in the bar

How do I get the password in Gerudo town?
I've heard townsfolk sometimes speak it in private. ;)

Outright answer:
there's a small place of residence next to the bar. Go inside and find the open window and eavesdrop on the conversation taking place at the bar.

Reading this thread I can't seem to shake off the question to you players if this game with 97% on average is a bit... overrated?
It's overall the best in the genre.
Might not have the Witcher's deep side quests, but it also doesn't have Witcher combat. Plays as well as MGSV but with proper fast travel and it's actually finished. It's not perfect but it's pretty amazing.

maxcriden

Reading this thread I can't seem to shake off the question to you players if this game with 97% on average is a bit... overrated?

For me, as a Zelda fan, it would absolutely not be a 97. However, as a game in and of itself, free from the shackle of my expectations, it is rated properly. As an open world game it has an immense amount to offer.

--

So on an entirely different note, after seeing you guys talking about the Three Trees at times and not figuring out what to do with them ourselves, we looked up what you do. And...I'm really glad we did. I can safely say I not ever would have figured out there was a puzzle there or what to do with them. The website we landed on had a whole list of the Korok Puzzles (warning autoplay review):

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/korok-...nd-hestu-and-how-solve-puzzles-all-900-587100

Some of the Korok puzzle types we had not noticed at all, and I was wondering if maybe they were...if there was just some other way we'd been getting the same ones...?

Koroks are hidden within natural objects. Pay particular attention to small rock formations at the top of mountain peaks, or whatever location that particularly stands out. At the same time, Koroks may be hidden within ice blocks you must melt, underneath a rock slab that must be lifted by an Octo balloon, behind destructible rocks and pots and more.

Wait so like... there are ones you need
Octo balloons
to get? You can't just
lift the rock slabs with stasis? If I'm thinking of the same ones (like there's a lot like this around the Faron tropical area) you can just get them with stasis. Maybe these are different ones though?

I'm not sure I follow what they mean by
"pay attention to small rock formations."
Do they just mean the ones where you lift a single rock? Or is there something else? (Later in the article they talk about the pattern ones so I'm assming they don't mean that.)

(YELLOW CIRCLE) Boulders: Large boulders must be moved away in order to uncover Korok. Sometimes the builders are located at the top of a hill and must be rolled off a cliff to complete the puzzle. Cast Stasis on the builder and hit the builder to give it enough force to start rolling. A variation of the Boulders puzzle involves metallic boulders. Use Magnesis to arrange the metal boulders.

So...we have like 100+ Korok seeds and I don't understand which ones he's referring to. You get a Korok for
rolling a boulder?
Maybe we are just doing these a different way?

)PURPLE CIRCLE) Circle: Objects arranged in a circle, most often as rock formations jutting from water, actually form a sort of target for Link to aim at. Your goal is to throw a rock into the circle. Take a Korok once you hit the bullseye. Variations of the puzzle involve other circle formations over water, such as water lilies.

The
lillies
we eventually got but we just
jump in those from up high.
I never even thought of
throwing a rock in a circle.
Which
rock formations in water
should we be looking for to find these? I don't think we've ever seen ones like this...and we've been over at least 1/3 of the map on foot by now I think.

(RED TRIANGLE) Race / Horse Hurdles: If you find a tree stump with a leaf symbol, hop on the stump to begin a race. Race through a ring before the countdown ends. Sometimes, the puzzle will feature a series of fences that you must jump over while riding a horse. Complete the objective before time runs out to get your Korok.

The
ring ones we've seen.
Never seen the
horse ones, though.
Are there a lot of those?

I skipped the other types that we knew about, but they're at the link. Thanks in advance for any tips re: the above.

It's the best open world game I've ever played. It's my favorite Zelda game. I've already spent more time with it than most games I've played in my life. Pardon the pun, but it's a breath of fresh air.

One tiny complaint: even after saving Gerudo Town, you still can't enter unless you disguise yourself. Seems kinda silly, especially considering that multiple people in the town are aware that you're not really a vai anyway.

One tiny complaint: even after saving Gerudo Town, you still can't enter unless you disguise yourself. Seems kinda silly, especially considering that multiple people in the town are aware that you're not really a vai anyway.
Yeah. Have
Riju
give him a "honored person" exception or sumthin.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard townsfolk sometimes speak it in private. ;)

Outright answer:
there's a small place of residence next to the bar. Go inside and find the open window and eavesdrop on the conversation taking place at the bar.

Funnily enough I found that conversation and wrote down the password ages ago but have never came across where to use it. :D

Ok found all the memories and beat the game again to get the true ending. I enjoyed the story honestly, not amazing by any means but it was enjoyable enough and I love realistic zelda with all her insecurities and the ending was a great at potraying the phrase "Life carries on" after a Pyrric Victory.

maxcriden

You can see the rain coming, but if you're in the middle of an involved climb or in an area where your focus is on climbing it's going to still be tedious that there's no "song of please god storm less" or something.

Lilo_D

It's the best open world game I've ever played. It's my favorite Zelda game. I've already spent more time with it than most games I've played in my life. Pardon the pun, but it's a breath of fresh air.

they just enjoy links girl cloth lol

Lilo_D

You can see the rain coming, but if you're in the middle of an involved climb or in an area where your focus is on climbing it's going to still be tedious that there's no "song of please god storm less" or something.

Yeah that's suck that's why I always keep an eye on the future weather

Garou

Except there is kind of a solution to make bad weather go away:
Throw some wood on the floor, light it up and wait using the pass-time option.

I find it hard to believe that there are 40 Talus' and 40 Hinoxes in separate places in the game. Heck, I've looked everywhere in the desert and have only found 2/4 Moldugas :(

Nearing 50 hours in and I am not even remotely bored. I feel like I have a small objective each time I play. This will definitely end up being the longest single playthrough for a game for me. My only wish is to stop the persistent rain in Faron.

kunonabi

Kass finally
showed up in Rito.
I don't really know what the problem was since all I've been doing is korok hunting. Still one less worry.

If things go well I should manage 100% completion tonight. I'll start farming for gear tomorrow and hopefully be done with the game by the end of the week.

Joeytj

Banned
Nearing 50 hours in and I am not even remotely bored. I feel like I have a small objective each time I play. This will definitely end up being the longest single playthrough for a game for me. My only wish is to stop the persistent rain in Faron.

The Faron jungle is a pain in the ass, and I think my least favorite region of this Hyrule. It has some good parts and I like the great weapons you can reap in the deep jungle parts, but I they should've have made it so vertical and full of areas you need to climb with so much rain.

Either than that, I love the entire map and this Hyrule. I wish there would've been a bit more ocean and desert.

I'll add my feelings to the game in general too:

It made me fall in love with video games again. I stopped being a hardcore gamer in 2011 maybe, 2012, with adulthood settling in (I'm 29 now), but man, this game has giving me so much hope after months of a horrible feeling that things might now get better again (my work, money, my country, Trump, the world in general).

But being able to find such joy and adventure in a Zelda game, that's a feeling I never thought would be possible again at near 30 years-old. I liked Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess too, but not since Wind Waker or even Majora's Mask did a game made me lose so much sleep (and I can't afford to do it as much anymore!).

I'm at 91 shrines, all Divine Beast and all memories (just about 200 korok seeds), deciding if I should just go ahead and beat Ganon already and go for 100% completion over the next few weeks and months, or do 100% (without Korok seeds) and then get to Ganon, but then, I won't have anything to do until the hard mode and the new story from the DLC drops :(

boiled goose

good with gravy
Bit disappointed thhere's not much postgame. Just finish collecting.

Some combat challenges would be fun. Too powerful now.

A swarm of lynels and guardians would be interesting

Red

I find the rain annoying as well, but I wouldn't want to be able to disable it. I enjoy what it contributes to the survival sim aspect of the game. I like being forced to build a fire to wait it out. But it occurs a little too often, and is not as compelling as it could be with small tweaks here and there. If there were more caves around the landscape, it might be less aggravating. I imagine a sizzling lightning storm crackling along the landscape, and ducking into a cave to avoid it. I don't know what's in the cave; these places are normally avoided, because they are dark, and especially dangerous creatures may be inside. But I recognize the storm as a possibly worse danger, and decide to take my chances. I can't make a fire until the cave is cleared, so I light a torch and search for whatever monsters have made it their home. Beneath the thick drip-drip of stalactites, I hear a cackle echo on cave walls—then see eyes glinting back my torchlight in the dark. The monster strikes.

Of course, there is no experience like this in the game. It is, however, one possible avenue to carry on the weather system while also making it more engaging to the player.

I hope something like this is adopted in the future.

Alternatively, allow a temporary item that can be used to bypass rain slicked rocks. The hookshot might be good here. Make it susceptible to durability damage, make it an uncommon drop, allow it to be used as both a weapon and climbing assist. The player must choose whether to exploit it in calm weather or save it to aid in climbing when the storm's on.

Right now the best option to bypass climbing in the rain is to rig objects with balloons, but this is not always viable.

Mistle

I've been rewatching the cutscenes and the voice actors have really grown on me. I'm actually wondering why they initially sounded so off, maybe I just wasn't used to VA in Zelda?

The only one that is outright bad imo is Mipha. And it's not the voice timbre or quality or whatever, it's just so robotic and emotionless. The others vary in quality but they're all serviceable and some are quite good.

KahooTs

yeah i kind of got this feeling too when i made a heart elixir and thought "why does this exist?". either changed to make things easier, or the "hard" mode will have this restriction

I was thinking it maybe changed when it became a Switch game. That what they intended with the UI on the Wii U pad couldn't be done on the Switch (docked). Perhaps they ran out of buttons for an elixir hot menu.

As well as it being too hard to balance the game and their fears that it would turn out too difficult.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Had an intense battle with the Lynel outside the East Bridge.

I only have 5 hearts, and I went through every weapon/bow/arrow ect... Still couldnt kill him, all my fairies gone. T_T

maxcriden

Except there is kind of a solution to make bad weather go away:
Throw some wood on the floor, light it up and wait using the pass-time option.

Thanks for the tip. We haven't had very good luck with this unfortunately. We go forward nearly two full days and nada. Some areas are conditioned to rain most of the time, I think.

Dr. Worm

Banned
I was thinking it maybe changed when it became a Switch game. That what they intended with the UI on the Wii U pad couldn't be done on the Switch (docked). Perhaps they ran out of buttons for an elixir hot menu.

As well as it being too hard to balance the game and their fears that it would turn out too difficult.

Skyward Sword had a thing where you could chug potions in combat without pausing via the circular overlay with the Wii Remote; maybe it would've been based on that?

maxcriden

I find the rain annoying as well, but I wouldn't want to be able to disable it. I enjoy what it contributes to the survival sim aspect of the game. I like being forced to build a fire to wait it out. But it occurs a little too often, and is not as compelling as it could be with small tweaks here and there. If there were more caves around the landscape, it might be less aggravating. I imagine a sizzling lightning storm crackling along the landscape, and ducking into a cave to avoid it. I don't know what's in the cave; these places are normally avoided, because they are dark, and especially dangerous creatures may be inside. But I recognize the storm as a possibly worse danger, and decide to take my chances. I can't make a fire until the cave is cleared, so I light a torch and search for whatever monsters have made it their home. Beneath the thick drip-drip of stalactites, I hear a cackle echo on cave walls—then see eyes glinting back my torchlight in the dark. The monster strikes.

Of course, there is no experience like this in the game. It is, however, one possible avenue to carry on the weather system while also making it more engaging to the player.

I hope something like this is adopted in the future.

Alternatively, allow a temporary item that can be used to bypass rain slicked rocks. The hookshot might be good here. Make it susceptible to durability damage, make it an uncommon drop, allow it to be used as both a weapon and climbing assist. The player must choose whether to exploit it in calm weather or save it to aid in climbing when the storm's on.

Right now the best option to bypass climbing in the rain is to rig objects with balloons, but this is not always viable.

I like these ideas a whole lot, thanks for sharing. When you say rig objects with balloons, do you mean you're using them to create steps to get up a cliff? Or something else? That's really rad. We just started experimenting with them recently and are surprised how much lift they give.

BTW, that certain set of gear that claims to be
non-slip
really should give you an edge in the rain, but alas, the only assistance it gives is
the slight extra boost before you inevitably slip...

I just keep returning to this game.

I think I'll eventually completely 100% it just playing little by little when I have spare time. Being on a handheld does wonders for a game like this.

Red

I like these ideas a whole lot, thanks for sharing. When you say rig objects with balloons, do you mean you're using them to create steps to get up a cliff? Or something else? That's really rad. We just started experimenting with them recently and are surprised how much lift they give.

BTW, that certain set of gear that claims to be
non-slip
really should give you an edge in the rain, but alas, the only assistance it gives is
the slight extra boost before you inevitably slip...
You can put balloons on a fallen tree and carry yourself to heaven if you want to. Two balloons at a time. Be sure to pin new balloons before the last ones burst.

Doesn't have to be trees. You can use rafts, carts, various slabs, etc.

Jump off and glide to what you want whenever you're high enough. Just remember it's chilly at high altitudes.

Golnei

I've been meaning to whine about this here since launch, but man, the title screen has got to be the worst in series history.

It's pretty dull. If they really wanted to forgo music, a landscape shot with environmental noises playing in the background would have been a simple and effective choice that fit the game's emphasis on the world.

Though they could have just as easily reused the initial, ingame opening title shot for the menu as well - even the version of the main theme that plays there would be perfect for a menu screen.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thanks for the tip. We haven't had very good luck with this unfortunately. We go forward nearly two full days and nada. Some areas are conditioned to rain most of the time, I think.

If you're where I think you are the rain won't stop until you complete a specific quest.

maxcriden

You can put balloons on a fallen tree and carry yourself to heaven if you want to. Two balloons at a time. Be sure to pin new balloons before the last ones burst.

Doesn't have to be trees. You can use rafts, carts, various slabs, etc.

Jump off and glide to what you want whenever you're high enough. Just remember it's chilly at high altitudes.

That is amazing. Thanks for the tip!

If you're where I think you are the rain won't stop until you complete a specific quest.

Are you thinking of a certain very cool Kass quest involving the weather? We did that and are in a different area. But yeah that area if we're speaking of the same one did get a bit less rainy after that quest, though still plenty rainy much of the time. Actually where we've found consistently rainy is Akkala most of all. Especially near the...notable quartet of islands. Thank goodness for the wind gusts by those but climbing them was still brutal and the cliff face ore is really tough to get.

We heard from a Gerudo that they don't have rain in the desert. That should be most welcome.

Rain is a bit weird. At the beginning of the game you're vulnerable to every weather condition but at the end you can go through volcanic heat and freezing mountains...but there's no way to deal with rain. It stops being much of an issue after you get some gear and some abilities, but you still have to deal with it.
Would be awesome if a sequel brought back the Ocarina or some instrument. The song of storms would've been pretty handy to create thunder storms to use in certain scenarios as well as using the rain to shield surf more.

Speely

Banned
For some reason I think a horde-type mode would be cool for an after-Ganon bonus. Like, make the Coliseum start with a single Lynel and then keep adding enemies as time goes by. Maybe killing everything before the next wave appears makes the last enemy drop a fairy you can try to get or something, though that seems a lil soft. Just keep ramping it up over and over with guardians and lynels and wizzrobes and shit.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason I think a horde-type mode would be cool for an after-Ganon bonus. Like, make the Coliseum start with a single Lynel and then keep adding enemies as time goes by. Maybe killing everything before the next wave appears makes the last enemy drop a fairy you can try to get or something, though that seems a lil soft. Just keep ramping it up over and over with guardians and lynels and wizzrobes and shit.

Zombies with bows and arrows would be cool yo.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Monster Cake and a Quest
Ya know, this quest it still quite unsettling, did I just turn a little girl evil? I mean I saved her life but...

random25

Monster Cake and a Quest
Ya know, this quest it still quite unsettling, did I just turn a little girl evil? I mean I saved her life but...

She got her father's genes after all.

Rain is a bit weird. At the beginning of the game you're vulnerable to every weather condition but at the end you can go through volcanic heat and freezing mountains...but there's no way to deal with rain. It stops being much of an issue after you get some gear and some abilities, but you still have to deal with it.
Would be awesome if a sequel brought back the Ocarina or some instrument. The song of storms would've been pretty handy to create thunder storms to use in certain scenarios as well as using the rain to shield surf more.

The thing about rain is that it does not damage Link, while all other weather conditions do. So for all things that damage Link, there's a counter armor for that.

Do the type and number of monster parts you add affect what elixir you get?

Like is there any difference between the following elixirs?

2 restless crickets + 1 Bokoblin horn

2 restless crickets + 2 Bokoblin horns

2 restless crickets + 1 Lynel horn

random25

Do the type and number of monster parts you add affect what elixir you get?

Like is there any difference between the following elixirs?

2 restless crickets + 1 Bokoblin horn

2 restless crickets + 2 Bokoblin horns

2 restless crickets + 1 Lynel horn

Better monster parts mixed in extends the effects of buffs longer, I believe.

I've been meaning to whine about this here since launch, but man, the title screen has got to be the worst in series history.

True. And there are so many Zelda 1 references in this game, I'm disappointed they didn't lift from its iconic title screen too.

Top Bottom