• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So you forget you're playing a video game while playing a video game?

Gee, guy, I wonder what I'll expect when I go to the edges of the map...

I wouldn't expect a named area that I can't get to. Maybe don't name that area, maybe don't include it in the visible map at all.

Horizon was similar, but it was pretty easy to get there - you'd be walking in a snowy area and it'd just say 'you're leaving the game area. If you keep walking you'll be rest to your last save'

TheJoRu

Trying to track down my last shrine.

If I unlock a shrine and the travel port opens but I don't beat it, does it still show up as blue on my map? I'm afraid I have one like that.

If you opened the shrine and activated it as a travel point, but did not enter or beat it, it'll be partly blue and partly orange on the map (just like the shrine itself).

So you'll certainly notice if there's one you've opened but did not beat, though it's perhaps not quite as apparent as a completely orange shrine on the map (means you found it, but did not open it).

jariw

So you can't go west onto Mount Agaat? That seems dumb. I get having an 'edge' to the world, but then why give an out of bounds area a name? It just makes you want to explore it.

In the LotR lore for example, there are places on the maps and in the texts where no adventures never take place. It gives the reader a bigger sense of adventure, that's there is an even bigger world out there.

Same here, there's a bigger world outside Huryle.

Why can't Nintendo just let me enjoy one damn game in peace without motion controls. I was just starting to get into the game after some intial disappointments, and bam, awful gamepad juggling bullshit. The orientation of the wii U gamepad gets out of sync so fast. In case you're wondering what I'm on about
shrine at hateno village
.. and yes, I know some people probably did it first go, but I just don't find this mechanic fun at all, and the camera isn't in a great spot either. Oh well, at least I can walk away from it and come back later. Plenty of other adventures to be had in the game anyway.

Why can't Nintendo just let me enjoy one damn game in peace without motion controls. I was just starting to get into the game after some intial disappointments, and bam, awful gamepad juggling bullshit. The orientation of the wii U gamepad gets out of sync so fast. In case you're wondering what I'm on about
shrine at hateno village
.. and yes, I know some people probably did it first go, but I just don't find this mechanic fun at all, and the camera isn't in a great spot either. Oh well, at least I can walk away from it and come back later. Plenty of other adventures to be had in the game anyway.

Think about why they put a treasure chest on that platform. You don't need motion control to complete it.

Think about why they put a treasure chest on that platform. You don't need motion control to complete it.

Damnit. I only just completed it with the motion controls as well. But thanks for the tip, and reminding me about the chest. I need to go back for that. Hopefully this bodes well for the rest of the game having no forced motion stuff, and an alternate way of solving things.

jariw

Damnit. I only just completed it with the motion controls as well. But thanks for the tip, and reminding me about the chest. I need to go back for that. Hopefully this bodes well for the rest of the game having no forced motion stuff, and an alternate way of solving things.

I don't think there is one shrine puzzle that only have one single solution. I haven't encountered one yet.

LaNaranja

Finished up all the main quests and defeated Gannon.
Hyrule Castle is kinda really underwhelming. Like, if you just had the Master Sword and nothing else you would steam role through everything. Never mind me who like a jackass spent all this time upgrading the guardian armor to four stars and stocking up on Savage Lynel weapons and guardian arrows. Those Lynel bows kill pretty much everything in 3-4 shots regardless of the types of arrows you use. I actually just stumbled into the final battle completely unaware that it was the boss room. It looks like every other room and you enter from the outside. I would expect at least some big doors or a music cue or something to indicate you are close to the end.

You can find all these cool exclusive weapons in Hyrule Castle but they are all fragile as shit and it just sucks. The weapon fragility system sucks. You save all the cool weapons and you end up waiting to use them for a cool encounter that never comes. The Lynels are the only enemy that remain consistency challenging. Hell, even the Guardians become a joke once you know how to deal with them. They go down in like three parries or you can use the Master Sword that cuts through them like butter.

4/5 or 7/10 depending on your preferred rating system. The
Yiga Clan
section was the highlight of the game. That should have been how they handled Hyrule Castle. Vah Ruta and pretty much everything in Zora's domain was the other highlight.
It was my favorite of the divine beast battles and the lead up to it where you are forced to walk along the path because the rain keeps you from climbing
is all good stuff.

+ The exploration is really fun for a long time.
+ The feeling of being in over your head is great (before you start upgrading clothes/health/stamina/finding better weapons).
+ Playing dress up and getting new costumes/figuring out the perfect color combination is always a good time.
+ Shrine puzzles
+ Voice acting
+ Lynels

- Weapon durability sucks
- Inventory management sucks (would a weapon wheel/quick select really have been too much trouble?)
- The cooking system sucks. You can cook all these things like cakes and pies and what not but you will always get a better bonus by cooking a simple combination like four apples and a radish or five bananas together.
- Everything you do outside of the main quests feels really empty and pointless after a while.
- The game really sucks at rewarding the player. Even when you do get a cool reward, like the
champion weapons, the shitty weapon durability keeps you from actually enjoying it for more than three or four enemies.
- Not enough cutscenes.
- No voice acting outside of cutscenes.​

Charamiwa

Banned
When talking about great linear and crafted places in the game, I wonder why no one mentions
Zonai ruins? It's one of the most atmospheric places in the game, deep in the jungle, and absolutely brutal with all the electric Lizalfos snipers.

Red

The horse hurdle jumping game is the fucking worst. Dead on approach to the middle of the hurdle, perfect boost speed..... the horse stops and rears back for no reason instead of making the jump. What is this shit?!?

Riding horses in general sucks ass. They're so much more skittish over minor bumps in the terrain compared to past Zeldas. Everything makes them halt.
I agree. I dumped two grand into that thing. A few times it seemed like I would finish in time, but my horse would suddenly freak out about the last one or two hurdles and refuse to jump. Had to walk away. Tried with different combinations of speed and stamina but neither seemed better suited than the other. That's the only passable challenge I've balked at so far.

I enjoy riding horses elsewhere though. I just tend not to try to jump over objects. It rarely works when I want it to.

Smellycat

About the horse hurdle game... I had similar issues until I realized that you aren't supposed to boost as you are about to jump, otherwise the horse will stop when it gets to the hurdle if you boost too late.

The guy even warns you to not "simply boost and hope for the best"

Lilo_D

Finished up all the main quests and defeated Gannon.
Hyrule Castle is kinda really underwhelming. Like, if you just had the Master Sword and nothing else you would steam role through everything. Never mind me who like a jackass spent all this time upgrading the guardian armor to four stars and stocking up on Savage Lynel weapons and guardian arrows. Those Lynel bows kill pretty much everything in 3-4 shots regardless of the types of arrows you use. I actually just stumbled into the final battle completely unaware that it was the boss room. It looks like every other room and you enter from the outside. I would expect at least some big doors or a music cue or something to indicate you are close to the end.

You can find all these cool exclusive weapons in Hyrule Castle but they are all fragile as shit and it just sucks. The weapon fragility system sucks. You save all the cool weapons and you end up waiting to use them for a cool encounter that never comes. The Lynels are the only enemy that remain consistency challenging. Hell, even the Guardians become a joke once you know how to deal with them. They go down in like three parries or you can use the Master Sword that cuts through them like butter.

4/5 or 7/10 depending on your preferred rating system. The
Yiga Clan
section was the highlight of the game. That should have been how they handled Hyrule Castle. Vah Ruta and pretty much everything in Zora's domain was the other highlight.
It was my favorite of the divine beast battles and the lead up to it where you are forced to walk along the path because the rain keeps you from climbing
is all good stuff.

+ The exploration is really fun for a long time.
+ The feeling of being in over your head is great (before you start upgrading clothes/health/stamina/finding better weapons).
+ Playing dress up and getting new costumes/figuring out the perfect color combination is always a good time.
+ Shrine puzzles
+ Voice acting
+ Lynels

- Weapon durability sucks
- Inventory management sucks (would a weapon wheel/quick select really have been too much trouble?)
- The cooking system sucks. You can cook all these things like cakes and pies and what not but you will always get a better bonus by cooking a simple combination like four apples and a radish or five bananas together.
- Everything you do outside of the main quests feels really empty and pointless after a while.
- The game really sucks at rewarding the player. Even when you do get a cool reward, like the
champion weapons, the shitty weapon durability keeps you from actually enjoying it for more than three or four enemies.
- Not enough cutscenes.
- No voice acting outside of cutscenes.​

another reward complain which I never understand
Maybe next game they can somehow address these "issues"

jariw

When talking about great linear and crafted places in the game, I wonder why no one mentions
Zonai ruins? It's one of the most atmospheric places in the game, deep in the jungle, and absolutely brutal with all the electric Lizalfos snipers.

I agree with you. That place was fantastic! I randomly found that area while I was just out scouting (I arrived from the south). However, I felt I was too underpowered to fully explore it, so I left. Thanks for the reminder, will return there today!

Lurelin Village
is an area that I get more and more fond of, BTW. Everything feels very organic in its design, but the landscape has also been so carefully designed for the shrine quests, korok seeds, etc.

- Not enough cutscenes.

I have to disagree with this. Personally, I want to play a game, not watch an interactive movie. The cutscenes that appear in the main quests removes me from "my" adventure. The memory cut scenes are totally ok, since they are from a previous adventure.

Malcolm9

Tried to love this game but just getting bored to be honest, I'm hoping the next game marries the previous style of the older games with the open world ie proper dungeons, more structured story etc.

The world itself is far too big which makes it feel very empty. I know the weapon durability has been spoken about loads so all I'll say is I wasn't a fan at all.

Shrines and seeds are repetitive and to me it loses alot of the essence that made me love all the previous Zelda games. Gutted really, but I give credit to Nintendo for trying something new with the series.

Majukun

was trying to catch a cool black horse,and it went totally apeshit...kept running at full speed everywhere,through enemy camps too..then he just stop for one second and then back full speed from where he went

Lilo_D

Tried to love this game but just getting bored to be honest, I'm hoping the next game marries the previous style of the older games with the open world ie proper dungeons, more structured story etc.

The world itself is far too big which makes it feel very empty. I know the weapon durability has been spoken about loads so all I'll say is I wasn't a fan at all.

Shrines and seeds are repetitive and to me it loses alot of the essence that made me love all the previous Zelda games. Gutted really, but I give credit to Nintendo for trying something new with the series.

Go find something else

TheJoRu

100% achieved!

A little over 150 hours playtime

The last 2 locations were places I had simply narrowly avoided in the past.

I wouldn't be able to 100% this game in 150 hours even if I tried (without a guide, that is). I'm 135 hours in and probably just a little more than halfway done.

8bit

Knows the Score
The
Yiga Clan
section was the highlight of the game.

- Not enough cutscenes.
- No voice acting outside of cutscenes.[/INDENT]

I hated that section, and really wouldn't have cared for any more whining from Zelda or asshole bravado from that bird fuck through the game.

Finally beat all the Divine Beasts. After initially being a little disappointed in them, I've actually grown to like them after my last one. I gotta say the bosses are still disappointing to me and might end up the weakest aspect of the game personally. No idea what my playtime is but I'm more than happy with the amount of game I got from this. On to the final stretch!

Branduil

That memory is a bastard to find without some sort of direction given.

If you talk to the people around that area, one of them tells you that
it was the battlefield where Link "died" 100 years ago.
So you can find out the location a long time beforehand, but it's easy to forget about that.

jariw

I wouldn't be able to 100% this game in 150 hours even if I tried (without a guide, that is). I'm 135 hours in and probably just a little more than halfway done.

Yeah, I really doubt that it's possible to 100% in 150 hours without a guide. That would mean finding a korok seed on average every 10th minute (and really finding them all!), in addition to finding/solving all the shrines, main quests and side quests.

I really like that memory where Zelda and Link
looking for flowers and wild life
. Just like Aonuma said, Zelda is too cute...

jariw

While looking for Stealthfin trouts to do the armor upgrades, I now finally understood how the fish bait works. My solution:
mushroom to match the fish type
. The range when placing fish bait isn't long though, but the bait makes bomb fishing easier.

Majukun

what do you do with those fishes
you find at kakariko? the three colored ones that don't have special properties but the description says they are good for 'competition'

jariw

what do you do with those fishes
you find at kakariko? the three colored ones that don't have special properties but the description says they are good for 'competition'

Sanke Carp (
"a prizewinning fish"
)? I think it's a fish that's used just as a general base for cooking, just like Hyrule Bass.

Lilo_D

Encountered my first Molduga in desert after playing 150hrs
Wow, at first I tried to time stop it when it jump up I felt so stupid
then I realized I can use the new ability I got LOL

"Why is there so many seagulls?"
"Oh."

C8-MLqMUAAA-cF4.jpg:orig

shrine at hateno village

Lol let's just say it's not the only one. But it is the easiest

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
"Why is there so many seagulls?"
"Oh."

There's a few fun areas like this - the hidden fruityard, the hidden herb garden, the place where every tonnes of fish are hidden in huge numbers. Nothing like stumbling across some random place and leaving 2 minutes later with oevr 200 apples.

Majukun

Sanke Carp (
"a prizewinning fish"
)? I think it's a fish that's used just as a general base for cooking, just like Hyrule Bass.
no idea what the name is in English... but the description in Italian says to NOT use it for cooking for some reason.

JimiNutz

Banned
Fuck!
I've never played a Zelda game that I really enjoyed but I played this yesterday for a few hours on a friends Switch and I am completely on board.

I want this game badly.

Hoping a few more games come out for the console soon so I can justify my purchase. The game is really beautiful as well. Wish more games looked like this.

Fuck!
I've never played a Zelda game that I really enjoyed but I played this yesterday for a few hours on a friends Switch and I am completely on board.

I want this game badly.

Hoping a few more games come out for the console soon so I can justify my purchase. The game is really beautiful as well. Wish more games looked like this.

You won't regrer it. Amazing game.

TheFuzz

Yes, I think that's too late. I look for the white light on the guardian.

Look for the white light and also check your distance. If you're a good distance away from the laser's firing point you have more time than you think to react.

Source: me, after failing to reflect a guardian laser from one of the bosses 5 times in a row

I've never looked for the light. When you hear the "beep" when the laser is done charging, deflect. Even if the beam isn't coming at you at that split second, it will deflect it back without your shield taking damage.

atr0cious

The horse hurdle jumping game is the fucking worst. Dead on approach to the middle of the hurdle, perfect boost speed..... the horse stops and rears back for no reason instead of making the jump. What is this shit?!?

Riding horses in general sucks ass. They're so much more skittish over minor bumps in the terrain compared to past Zeldas. Everything makes them halt.

I ended up doing it clockwise and only galloping when I had tonnes of room to slow down and turn. The random stops before the hurdles must be a glitch, it seems to happen randomly regardless of angle,speed and horse-temperament.
On "that" jump there is a small piece of the mountain in the way, you must turn inward and you'll make the jump every time. That course is trying to teach you that you can jump over anything, even at almost the slowest speed if your horse is clear to land on the other side.

Top Bottom