• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

I think I finally discovered every named location on the map, and with ~250 Korok seeds (IIRC), I'm at just over 50% map completion. I was amazed at how many unique little places I missed, from destroyed hidden villages, to swamps, to caves, to hot springs, etc.

Debating whether to put it on hold until the DLC comes out, create a new profile to start a new game, or try to max out my remaining armor.

duckroll

So I'm like 99% certain that the last memory photo is
In the Hyrule Castle woods area in the north west area of the castle region. But I'm wandering around and can't get a match.
Am I wrong?

OK, I did it. I finally beat it, 190 hours later.

This game earned its 10/10 during its first 50 hours, but DAMN. Hyrule Castle was utterly and unimaginably EPIC. The music, the atmosphere, the layout, the final battle. Wow, wow, WOW.

What do I do now? What can possibly even compare? And most importantly, why the FUCK do I feel the need to keep playing it even thought I just beat it?!?

I'm finished at last. What a game. Stats:

Version: Wii U (first ~90 hours on 1.1.0, last ~40 hours on 1.1.1)
Total Playtime: 132 hours
Shrines: 120
Korok seeds: 445
Glitches found: 4
Equipment used while delivering the final blow on Ganon: Mop, Boko Bow, pot lid, and no clothes
Favorite quote: "I must dance!"
Times I made Beedle fall over by blowing up a bomb next to him: countless :)

Thoughts/critique:

I can't remember the last time a video game has commanded my attention for so long while retaining a constant level of quality throughout. Open world games have never appealed to me because they always felt like a chore after the first few hours, a feeling BotW did not evoke until very late when scouring the world for Korok seeds (totally optional, of course).

I decided to play the game by sharing a save file with my brother, as we both wanted to play it but can only have one current save file for whatever godforsaken reason. He also has more of a taste for open world games like Skyrim and Fallout, so I figured that trading off control would help alleviate the burnout I normally feel playing an open world game. That burnout never happened with BotW. Still, we traded control every few hours or so, which ended up working really well for this type of game. It was nice having another person to bounce ideas off of for solving puzzles or noticing something in the environment that would have been missed otherwise. It was also extremely interesting to see how drastically the flavor of the game changes when a different person takes over - something that can't be said about every game.

Strangely enough, the Zelda this one reminded me most of was Majora's Mask. Both have a rather abbreviated main quest, which seems to be a common criticism of both. If you play either game by beelining to main quest points then calling it quits once the credits roll, then of course they're going to feel underwhelming compared to other Zeldas. But that's the beauty of MM and BotW: it's not the core trunk of the game that's interesting, it's the world that's been built around it. As strange as it sounds, the "main quest" is not actually the meat and potatoes of BotW, it's the world itself. The "main quest" simply exists to drive exploration for those who need some sort of objective to function. I've always respected MM for having the balls to deviate from the norm of Zelda conventions, and BotW feels like it's following in MM's footsteps in that regard. The fact that BotW, like MM, retains the flavor of Zelda while successfully breaking new ground is something to be commended.

Shades of Mario 64 are present in its sense of freedom and experimentation. Someone ITT compared the plateau to Peach's castle courtyard, which is an excellent analogy. The great plateau is one of the best, if not THE best, tutorial sections in all of gaming, and effortlessly teaches you how the game works without resorting to the heavy handed dialog of Zeldas past. It evokes that sense of possibility that Mario 64's courtyard did, by allowing the player to freely experiment with the game's systems until they're ready to move on.

A comparison to Just Cause 2 can be made in the kinetic and satisfying sensation of movement. JC2 is always fun to revisit simply to dick around grappling, parachuting, and stunt jumping effortlessly across its vast world; it was just too bad that almost all of its world wasn't worth exploring. BotW employs equally satisfying movement techniques like climbing to make you feel a sense of mastery over the world without resorting to skill trees or XP bars - and here the world is absolutely worth exploring.

Everything in BotW feeds into exploration, including weapon degradation. At first I found it annoying and agreed with the common criticism against it, but the more I played I realized how indispensable it was to the core gameplay loop that is so addicting. It's really a non-issue once you learn to manage your resources, just like Metroid Prime 2's ammo system and Majora's Mask's 3 day cycle before it. Approaching this game with an open mind and no expectations based on previous Zeldas is absolutely the best way to go.

With all that said, the part of BotW that surprised me the most is how it truly is about the adventure you forge. Literally the only requirements the game enforces are completing the plateau and defeating Ganon. The rest is up to you, and you can call it quits whenever you've had your fill. This allows the game to be as grindy or as checklist heavy as you make it out to be. Nintendo has flirted with this design philosophy since the Wii days, usually saving harder, more grindy content for post-credits gameplay, but here they've pulled out all the stops. This is YOUR adventure.

One of my IRL hobbies is taking long bike rides to random locations - not because the destination is particularily interesting, but because the journey there is intrinsically rewarding in its own right. Nintendo has created a open world game around this intrinsic value of exploration - a profound design decision in an era where open worlds simply serve as a hub to get from point A to point B. To feel the same sensation of IRL adventure in a game world is nothing short of astounding. Not only that, but they succeeded so much at what they set out to accomplish that its brilliant design shines through its rather apparent flaws. Breath of the Wild has done to open world games what Halo did to FPSes: it reinvents the genre completely and makes you wonder how you ever put up with the old paradigm of game design.

10/10, no question. Simply magical.

Enjoyed this post. Thanks for sharing!

I really resonate with the "making your own adventure" part. I'm 130 hours in, and I'm only maybe 3/4 done with the main quest. I'm kind of just exploring every little thing I see on the map, and goodness is it satisfying.

I just decided to explore Gerudo Highlands since I had an active side quest that lead me up there, and I spent a couple hours exploring only to realize I'd probably only touched a third of that area. I managed to track down a new
Blizzard Rod
(favorite weapon because it's so OP against smaller enemies), fought my first
Silver Lynel
(holy shit it was hard), and discovered a new shrine and a handful of Korok seeds. I also fought a frozen
Stone Talus
for the first time and wow it was tougher than I expected. I died quite a few times during my expidition up here, and it really shook me out of my complacency and laziness with combat and resource management. Also I just love the engrossing atmosphere of snow areas in this game and how spooky everything feels when snowstorms make visibility low. Also I saw
Farosh (with whom I have had many clashes trying to farm parts from it) flying around up here
and I was like "ayyyyy my dude." Wasn't expecting to see it up there. It was kinda just cool to watch it fly around in a new place. I'm always a little awestruck just watching the
dragons
fly around.

I just find the world to be incredibly compelling to explore, just for the sake of taking it all in. I'm getting close to having seen most everything, but I'm really looking forward to revisiting some areas and trying to find the rest of the secrets.

I'm like, about to get to
Zora's Domain
and I only have 4 hearts and one stamina upgrade.

I feel like my ass needs to step up and look for more shrines. :|

joesiv

still dunno how this got 10/10 with all this endless fucking rain, stop raining
some areas have 24h rain as a part of the narrative. it was super annoying at parts until i figured out why it was stormy forever while i tried to wait it out.

moast times the rain will subside fairly quickly i find.

watershed

Banned
I think I finally discovered every named location on the map, and with ~250 Korok seeds (IIRC), I'm at just over 50% map completion. I was amazed at how many unique little places I missed, from destroyed hidden villages, to swamps, to caves, to hot springs, etc.

Debating whether to put it on hold until the DLC comes out, create a new profile to start a new game, or try to max out my remaining armor.

I'm still discovering locations, including some pretty cool ones like
the east gerudo shrine
I'm impressed by the boldness of the developers to spend so much time lovely crafting all these unique locations/shrines/enemies and stuff in general that players may never even discover.

Cubed

My lengthy review:

I liked it. A lot.
I still have a lot of side quests to handle (like, almost all of them), but I think this game surprised me at almost every turn. It surprised me when it reviewed so well that it made me want a Switch. It surprised me with its freedom and world design. Then it surprised me by making me feel even slightly emotional regardless of the fact that the narrative is so sparse.

Not sure I agree with many people saying "it's my favorite game ever," or even in my top 5... but it's definitely my favorite Zelda game (out of the 6 I've played... I know, that's not saying much).

After beating Ganon with only 40 shrines I boot up zelda but just get bored. What can you do thats fun?

Divine Beasts, if you haven't done so already. After that I knocked out every shrine quest and side quest I had taken so far, then I just looked for more shrines. A lot of the shrine quests are pretty fun.

I'm currently at the point where I've hit 117 shrines without a guide, but I'm starting to hit a wall. I don't want to look the rest up after making it this far, but it's hard to keep going when it feels like I've searched everywhere. I'm missing exactly one shrine quest, which is also killing me lol.

RRockman

Banned

Just another challenge to overcome using your tools. Octoballons, Stasis, and an object to stand on would bypass the rain in a timely manner. Trees, rafts, things like that you can use. If you combine those with
Revali's Gale
then the rain becomes child's play.

I'd look for a spot around the mountain you want to climb for that has trees or boxes and ascend from there.

Just another challenge to overcome using your tools. Octoballons, Stasis, and an object to stand on would bypass the rain in a timely mannerTrees, rafts, things like that you can use. If you combine those with
Revali's Gale
then the rain becomes child's play.

I'd look for a spot around the mountain you want to climb for that has trees or boxes and ascend from there.

What can you do with these to overcome the rain? I just use a camp fire and wait till the next day.

Divine Beasts, if you haven't done so already. After that I knocked out every shrine quest and side quest I had taken so far, then I just looked for more shrines. A lot of the shrine quests are pretty fun.

I'm currently at the point where I've hit 117 shrines without a guide, but I'm starting to hit a wall. I don't want to look the rest up after making it this far, but it's hard to keep going when it feels like I've searched everywhere. I'm missing exactly one shrine quest, which is also killing me lol.

I dont find searching for shrines or seeds fun 😦

ciD_Vain

I've never found the rain an issue. Campfire, Revali's Gale, and even timing Link's climbing animation then pressing X will get you higher up vertically-especially with the climbing gear.

Oh boy.

I just noticed all the new
tracking stats
after you beat the game.

I'm going to attempt to complete as many of these as possible, aren't I? FUCK

RRockman

Banned
What can you do with these to overcome the rain? I just use a camp fire and wait till the next day.

You stand on the cut down tree/box/raft/platform. Then drop octoballons on it in a way that it is raised evenly. (Stasis would help big time on long/big objects because that would give you time to organize the balloons so it is raised evenly.)

Now that you're in the air you can use Stasis on the platform when the balloons are about to pop so that you can replace them before you lose altitude. This way so you can continue to ascend.

Make sure you cancel your Stasis as soon as you are done replacing your first set of balloons so that it recovers fast enough for the replacement of your next set of balloons.

From here you can:

A: rinse and repeat to get to the top

B:
use Revail's Gale when you think you are high enough for that extra boost to take you to the top
C: in dry weather and on a raft, make like five campfires and use the updraft
much like option B
I've done this to "climb" large mountains with crappy stamina.

It's stupid easy with rafts but little bit more difficult with trees.

Wagram

Almost at the finish line. Admittedly i'm starting to rush as i've pretty much seen everything at this point and it's mostly repetition at various map points. I haven't wanted a game to end so badly in awhile. Other stuff to do!

Almost at the finish line. Admittedly i'm starting to rush as i've pretty much seen everything at this point and it's mostly repetition at various map points. I haven't wanted a game to end so badly in awhile. Other stuff to do!

I'm 90hrs in and I don't want it to end but a part of me wants it to end so that I can move on with my life. The size of this game is just unreal. I think the verticality of the world ads so much

It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack at that point.

I kinda feel sorry for Greyson. Now that
the town's finished and there are no more rocks to break, he's just sort of... there.

I think my favorite side thing to do in this game is just riding the horses. Riding them on roads, off roads, up and down mountains, figuring out what path I can pick through the terrain to get my horse into a difficult to reach area. It's just a relaxing thing to do and the animation is wonderful. I doubt many people in here know how hard it is to draw/model and animate a horse correctly due to the skeletal proportions in their legs. Not a lot of games do horses really well. Heck, in one of Nintendo's earlier 3D games they had the joints on the front legs bending backwards.

I wish I could register more than just 5.

Tiktaalik

It's kind of annoying that Persona 5 just came out.

I'm very late game but I still I feel like I could play Zelda for another month before I'd really feel I'd fully explored it and was fully done with it. Persona 5 sitting on my shelf is begging to be played though and it's encouraging me to lean toward breezing through the rest of the main story and finishing the game so that I can have a look at Persona 5.

Even after beating the game I'd still want to go back and play the game casually and explore some of the last corners of the game.

jariw

If you don't subscribe to the idea that you as a player (outside the areas where it rains for plot reasons) can skip the weather using campfires, how about moving to another area for a while - where it never rains (Gerudo, Hebra, etc)?

But sometimes rain is wanted, if you want to collect certain animals for upgrades, for example. Or want to pass undetected through an area. And one well-positioned shock arrow into an enemy camp does so much damage during rain.

Adaren

I went to Hyrule Castle to get my
last photo
, but I got swept up in the music hype and couldn't resist finishing the game. 123 hours, 98 Shrines, ~210 Koroks, and two areas still completely unexplored!

And then, of course, right after I finish
I go to Impa and she tells me that there's a 13th picture. And, sure enough, the internet is telling me that there's a secret ending. Guess I'm beating Ganon again tomorrow!

Megatron

Finished the game tonight.
130 hours
102 shrines
93 Korok seeds
4 beasts
4 fairy fountains
27.12 completion

Thought the game was brilliant. Just so many aha moments in the game. I may have to read the other thread and see what hidden things I missed. Post game I just played with dyes for the first time (had to save those ruppies and materials in case I needed them! I have to say, the stealth suit looks amazing I. White. Speaking of the stealth suit, buy that shit ASAP! I didn't buy it until I was over 100 hours in. (Again, because I was conserving resources) and it's awesome! Particularity for catching insects and lizards and things. I would have so many more of those if I had bought this sooner!

Only shrine I found that I didn't complete that I found was the constellation shrine. I don't want to look it up, so I just moved on.

I have some minor gripes. Like the sound that's played when you wear a complete set with a bonus. Who thought that was a good idea? It's like nails on a chalk board.

And there is a section where you can look up the controls and how to do certain things. But... they are locked until you actually do them. Which seems to defeat the purpose. I was trying to figure out how to shield surf so I could get a Korok seed. In the controls there was just a ????? In that spot. I looked it up online, performed it, and THEN it appeared. What sense does that make?

As people have mentioned, not having the recipes listed somewhere was a mistake. I barely made any recipes (because my experiments always resulted in dubious food) but If that was tracked in the journal I would have made as many as possible. Likewise if photos didn't appear in the journal, I wouldn't have taken a single photo that wasn't Quest-related.

Megatron

I went to Hyrule Castle to get my
last photo
, but I got swept up in the music hype and couldn't resist finishing the game. 123 hours, 98 Shrines, ~210 Koroks, and two areas still completely unexplored!

And then, of course, right after I finish
I go to Impa and she tells me that there's a 13th picture. And, sure enough, the internet is telling me that there's a secret ending. Guess I'm beating Ganon again tomorrow!

Honestly, this is the way to go. I wish I knew which part was added. I can't go back and un-remember the photos, you get to see both endings.

prepare to be underwhelmed

After unlocking the entire map, I've reached the point in the game where I can pick an unexplored area of the map that fancies my interest, grab a horse, and follow the roads to that destination.

I can't count how many times this lead to me discovering a half dozen things that catch my eye. It almost becomes a ritual at this point.

No other open world game does this for me. Bravo, Nintendo.

Beat the
Yiga Leader in Gerudo

Forgot to take a photo of the archers, will they appear elsewhere? Also need the wind sword for the kid in Hateno.

Despite that stealth section, this might well be my favourite ever game. I'm also playing the game wrong, but can't help myself. I unlock a region, stamp every named place on the map/landmark and methodically go through them. I lose the feeling of organically finding things and the constant distractions, but my memory is too shit to remember where I've been, and I wanna see everything.

Upgrades are starting to get expensive now. Wish the accessories were a seperate category of gear, so you could have head/chest/legs/accessory. Does upgrading gear increase the effectiveness of their special boosts, or just the defense rating?

Mega

Banned
The horse hurdle jumping game is the fucking worst. Dead on approach to the middle of the hurdle, perfect boost speed..... the horse stops and rears back for no reason instead of making the jump. What is this shit?!?

Riding horses in general sucks ass. They're so much more skittish over minor bumps in the terrain compared to past Zeldas. Everything makes them halt.

The horse hurdle jumping game is the fucking worst. Dead on approach to the middle of the hurdle, perfect boost speed..... the horse stops and rears back for no reason instead of making the jump. What is this shit?!?

Riding horses in general sucks ass. They're so much more skittish over minor bumps in the terrain compared to past Zeldas. Everything makes them halt.

I ended up doing it clockwise and only galloping when I had tonnes of room to slow down and turn. The random stops before the hurdles must be a glitch, it seems to happen randomly regardless of angle,speed and horse-temperament.

jariw

Upgrades are starting to get expensive now. Wish the accessories were a seperate category of gear, so you could have head/chest/legs/accessory. Does upgrading gear increase the effectiveness of their special boosts, or just the defense rating?

The stars (1-4) of the gear defines the special boost, the number defines the defense.

After unlocking the entire map, I've reached the point in the game where I can pick an unexplored area of the map that fancies my interest, grab a horse, and follow the roads to that destination.

I can't count how many times this lead to me discovering a half dozen things that catch my eye. It almost becomes a ritual at this point.

No other open world game does this for me. Bravo, Nintendo.

Agreed. It's amazing how many times I have been heading towards a destination I've marked on the map only to end up nowhere near it because I've seen something that peeks my interest which then leads to a chain of stuff that also peeks my interest but leads me further from my intended destination.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Timing deflections becomes really easy after a little bit of practice.
If the laser blasts are pinging off my shield to the left, destroying my shield and setting me on fire...I guess I'm parrying too late? Can't get the timing down at all

jariw

If the laser blasts are pinging off my shield to the left, destroying my shield and setting me on fire...I guess I'm parrying too late? Can't get the timing down at all

Yes, I think that's too late. I look for the white light on the guardian.

Nyoro SF

Yes, I think that's too late. I look for the white light on the guardian.

Look for the white light and also check your distance. If you're a good distance away from the laser's firing point you have more time than you think to react.

Source: me, after failing to reflect a guardian laser from one of the bosses 5 times in a row

Mega

Banned
I ended up doing it clockwise and only galloping when I had tonnes of room to slow down and turn. The random stops before the hurdles must be a glitch, it seems to happen randomly regardless of angle,speed and horse-temperament.

Thanks for confirming it's not just me. It definitely feels buggy at times. This is the closest to furious I've ever been playing this after 150 hours because it feels out of my control. I'll try that clockwise thing.

Edit: yeah, there's a glitch on the 7th hurdle, the one on the slight incline. The horse veers hard right on every single approach. Causes it to rear back.

Crayolan

If the laser deflects off to the side, that means the laser hit your shield before you parried. That's very late.

If the the laser explodes on your shield and your shield is not destroyed, then you were just a little late. You will only take a little explosion damage from this.

If you're early you take the laser to the face. Better to be late than to be early.

So I'm like 99% certain that the last memory photo is
In the Hyrule Castle woods area in the north west area of the castle region. But I'm wandering around and can't get a match.
Am I wrong?
That memory is a bastard to find without some sort of direction given.

Amount of hearts is completely irrelevant.

Just time the deflections with your shield. Don't move, they will get into a good range and stay there. Just keep reloading checkpoint until you get it....and then keep reloading again until you get ancient cores.

I just learnt to use Urbosa's Fury and defeated my first guardian. Totally easy. :>

Speely

Banned
Finally got the roomates together so I could do my final divine beast. I promised them I'd save it for them since I selfishly plowed through the others alone. Was an awesome group effort... I just let them backseat drive until
Fireblight Ganon

Reminded me of sleeping over at my friend's when I was a kid and duoing a single-player rpg. "Wait... Look left! Over there!"

Hyrule Castle is all mine now, though. If they wanna see it they can buy their own goddamn copies :)

En-ou

I completely forgot about the stamina potions. But honestly anything other than this message would've been better. Have Zelda tell Link that's beyond be the borders of the land or whatever. This truly pulled me straight out of the game entirely. This was a terrible solution.
Lasted me something like 80 plus hours to come across this, so it's not all bad! 😍

So you forget you're playing a video game while playing a video game?

Gee, guy, I wonder what I'll expect when I go to the edges of the map...

En-ou

I somehow lost my favorite sword, I'm damn sure I didn't break it. Can't remember the name, but it looked like a katana, did about 30 damage, and was one handed. Haven't found one yet, anyone know where I can find another?
Eightfold shortblade or something.

One of the hills around kakariko has one at the top.

Top Bottom