• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Should i upgrade my hearts at all? Or just continue pouring it into stamina like i have been?

Honestly, personal preference. Neither is necessary - if you run out of stamina, you can chug a stamina meal, if you meet a tough enemy, you can use a defence up meal. I tend to prioritize stamina until I have 2 full stamina wheels, but only because it's more convenient.

Magwik

Banned
I really wish there was a better way to snag arrows that doesn't involve city hopping or running along the Zora path

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I really wish there was a better way to snag arrows that doesn't involve city hopping or running along the Zora path

Yeah, I really wish you could 'craft' arrows in some way.

jepense

Should i upgrade my hearts at all? Or just continue pouring it into stamina like i have been?
Stamina is for exploring, hearts are for surviving. There is a thing that requires hearts, but there is also a place where you can swap stamina for hearts later. I prefer lots of stamina. It makes you faster and allows longer flight, climb and swim without food. Having limited health makes combat more difficult, so I'd upgrade that if you feel you die too much. But too many hearts may make it too easy as well. You can avoid most fights if you want.

takriel

So what's your favorite thing to do after you leave the Plateau on a new save file?

Mine's heading straight to Hyrule Castle Town, loot it and defeat the Guardians, then go into the Castle and get mighty weapons and
the Hylia Shield
early.

It's so much fun!

RRockman

Banned

If you do the
Tarry town quest and recruit the Rito Shopkeeper, he sells bundles of all arrows, except the ancient ones. It's nice to pop by and just get a quick reload.

Chinbo37

Blue flame doesn't go out unless you sheath it. The extra lanterns are manual checkpoints, so you don't have to constantly run back to the source.

Oh that's it? I really thought there would be something for doing all of them in akkala. Thanks for saving me some time !

Forkball

I remember the struggle to find arrows early in the game. A bundle of five arrows at a bokoblin camp was more exciting than great flameblade. I would go into shrines with two arrows and pray that I could complete it. There were times when if I botched a shot, I would have to start all over. I wasted five arrows on a korok puzzle and felt devastated.

Now I've got hundreds of arrows and shoot bomb arrows at octoroks just because I can.

Chinbo37

I have a real hunger for this game right now. I'm on the brink of buying a Switch just to play it then sell the console. Someone stop me.

Why? If you bought a switch now and finished the game in a month or so and then sold it and the switch you probably wouldn't even lose too much money. Go for it :)

atr0cious

Now I've got hundreds of arrows and shoot bomb arrows at octoroks just because I can.
The best is shooting bomb arrows in the rain, and then when realizing the mistake, not even caring because you have so many. The f
lying
g
uardians
need them, so I'm good with having that many on hand.

was trying to catch a cool black horse,and it went totally apeshit...kept running at full speed everywhere,through enemy camps too..then he just stop for one second and then back full speed from where he went

Next time: shoot it with an ice arrow, get behind it, mash A while waiting for it to unfreeze, ???, profit. :)

If you do the
Tarry town quest and recruit the Rito Shopkeeper, he sells bundles of all arrows, except the ancient ones. It's nice to pop by and just get a quick reload.

I've visited that shop over 20 times and it has had regular arrows like a grand total of 3 times. Entire in-game weeks can elapse and Link can travel round the world several times without him restocking. I wish I knew what triggered it, because I'm forced to buy them from Beedle the overpricer.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
has anyone got the bow or the shield drop from the zelda amiibo's
i have been save scumming for the last 45 minutes and NO DROPS

what the hell

En-ou

You don't know the chest trick on the small island next to Eventide? A chest has 10x there and if you save and reload the chest respawns. One of my old posts has it with screenshots.

I really hope the quest design in the next Zelda is better. There is so much I havent done but I dont know where to begin.

In world of warcraft you have questhubs in each zone and you can track how many quests and objectives you have finished in each zone. Botw really needs that.

Nosgotham

Fuck!
I've never played a Zelda game that I really enjoyed but I played this yesterday for a few hours on a friends Switch and I am completely on board.

I want this game badly.

Hoping a few more games come out for the console soon so I can justify my purchase. The game is really beautiful as well. Wish more games looked like this.

Don't know you're gaming habits but there's a number of great games on switch already. I own 12 and there a like 4 more this month I'm getting.

another reward complain which I never understand
Maybe next game they can somehow address these "issues"

Tried to get a concrete answer on how previous Zelda games had better "rewards" than BOTW but I have yet to get any solid answer.

Strange as this is becoming one of the common complaints from people who disliked the game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there any reason to get all outfits? Eg in gerudo there are extra outfits that seem to simply be cosmetic variations on what I already have. Also that
radiant
set that doesn't mention any benefits, other than looking odd.

atr0cious

Tried to get a concrete answer on how previous Zelda games had better "rewards" than BOTW but I have yet to get any solid answer.

Strange as this is becoming one of the common complaints from people who disliked the game.
It's ridiculous too. Ooh hey another rupee, yay a piece of heart. Ironically, it's these folks who are truly blinded by nostalgia.

Vibed

I've felt the game slow down for me at a few points, I think every 40 to 50 hours or so, but I keep coming back and enjoying it more than the last time.

I'm at 150~ hours 92 shrines (with 5 unfinished ones too), and 192 Korok seeds, and within the past couple hours, I finally explored the region I was holding out for last, Hebra. However, I'm so far in that I have to admit exploring Hebra feels like a checklist of shrines to do, quests I have in the back of my head, and being alert for Korok seeds (then immediately solving them). It's still super fun, but exploring at this point feels like taking a comb through each area for the little things I missed, then warping right after to the next little thing I wanted to do on my itinerary, rather than a smooth, seamless journey from one amazing point of interest to the next.

My ultimate goal is to do all the shrines and quests, and to have double as many Korok seeds as shrines. Pooooosibly I'll go for the full amount needed to upgrade everything.

ColdPizza

Banned
Compendium spoilers:
you can buy the entire set of pictures in Hateno research lab, possibly have to beat the game first

I don't get it either. Rupees and jewels are more meaningful in this than other Zeldas, cores and other Watcher parts are useful as well and there are cool weapons and armors or armor parts. That and exploration in general is far more rewarding. I don't get most of the complaints really. Most of it boils down to: I wish it was more like the Zeldas I already played dozens of times.

gardfish

Is there any reason to get all outfits? Eg in gerudo there are extra outfits that seem to simply be cosmetic variations on what I already have. Also that
radiant

The radiant set makes the skeletons that spawn at night treat you as an ally. It also boosts damage from bone weapons as its perk if you upgrade it twice.

jokkir

I guess I got lucky with the respawning glitch (special enemy spoils)
I got a dragon to respawn twice the same night at the same location woo.

Nictel

radiant

It makes Link look cool

The radiant set makes the skeletons that spawn at night treat you as an ally. It also boosts damage from bone weapons as its perk if you upgrade it twice.

Didn't know that. It's a shame you can't upgrade the
Dark Link outfit

Red

It's ridiculous too. Ooh hey another rupee, yay a piece of heart. Ironically, it's these folks who are truly blinded by nostalgia.
I get the feeling it is the build up to rewards they feel is missing here, since there are so many incidental rewards for exploring in BotW (which are also more meaningful than rewards in past games—but hey), which makes many rewards feel underwhelming for players used to less frequent discoveries. I try to take criticism at face value, but I've been involved with a few Zelda discussions the past month and I get the sense that many of the detractors have trouble articulating what exactly they don't like ("the weapon system is bad," "the rewards are bad," "the exploration is bad"), so they rely on emotional, judgmental language as a substitute for explanation.

Vibed

Rewards in this game have consistently felt valuable to me. Arrows in the early game were so so awesome to acquire because they're in such small bundles and otherwise expensive, materials give way to the permanent upgrades (other Zeldas have far fewer number of permanent upgrades since they lack the vast array of armor), armor is always an amazing new ability to have, memories are cool cutscenes, gems are essential for upgrading, and one of the few ways to make good money for the many expensive things to buy, and lastly weapons are like arrows. They're expendable, but they're still valuable so you want to collect a bunch of them. Plus, I find a lot of these things are given even more value to see them all if you want to fill the Hyrule Compedium.

Not to mention shrines, taking up both the heart and stamina rewards. :p

Most rewards were heart containers (or fragments of those), bottles and that's it. Majora treated it differently with the masks.
I don't get this complaint either. Personally just discovering the areas is rewarding enough for me! I had a awesome time yesterday by attacking akkala fortress to climb its tower.

Nictel

Most rewards were heart containers (or fragments of those), bottles and that's it. Majora treated it differently with the masks.
I don't get this complaint either. Personally just discovering the areas is rewarding enough for me! I had a awesome time yesterday by attacking akkala fortress to climb its tower.

Some people say they feel it's useless to do so because you get no achievements for that. Perhaps for some a 'pretty view' is just not enough.

Red

I can imagine an argument made about Majora's Mask rewards being more valuable. The masks were core to the experience, and it would be difficult to say a person had completed the game unless they had collected the full set of masks. Much of the game is tied into mask quest lines—they were more puzzling than the dungeons and required players to keep track of and synthesize small bits of information as they were doled out. But that is a unique entry. The rest have a set pattern and a similar reward structure. I think the most fundamental difference between BotW and past 3D entries is that in BotW, progress is not sectioned off by item rewards as it was previously. Dungeon spoils had a bigger impact on progression in the older games. They were keys to unlock the path forward, and so they were tied directly to a sense of progress and an improvement to Link's set of abilities.

Wow today I did the korok tests and I really enjoyed them, don't know why people botch so much about them. Also did a bunch of hidden shrines and got a lot of armor! 100 hours and still only 2 dungeons and 76 shrines. Thus game is the best and most entertaining I've ever played!

I liked the tests too. I'm guessing it was the
tailing mission
that people didn't like. I thought it was the cutest thing I've seen in a long time

My big complaint with other Zelda games I've played is how every secret or chest I opened was rupees to the point where rupees weren't even necessary and I lost interest. I've played The original legend of Zelda and that was great as a kid. Then I played WW HD and A Link Between Worlds recently and they both had this issue and I stopped caring. BoTW doesn't have this problem

JulianImp

It was great while it lasted, but what was once a world of unknown places to visit and things to do is now something I've mostly accustomed to, so nothing's really surprising me and thus exploration itself has gotten boring and tedious. Enemies have long ago become a non-issue that doesn't even warrant my attention, and grinding for fairy fountain upgrades or scouring the landscape for korok seeds has already gotten pretty old without feeling all that rewarding.

Guess I'll wait until dlc hits to pick the game up again, but I'll be putting it off for the time being because I'm not really feeling it anymore.

I can imagine an argument made about Majora's Mask rewards being more valuable. The masks were core to the experience, and it would be difficult to say a person had completed the game unless they had collected the full set of masks. Much of the game is tied into mask quest lines—they were more puzzling than the dungeons and required players to keep track of and synthesize small bits of information as they were doled out. But that is a unique entry. The rest have a set pattern and a similar reward structure. I think the most fundamental difference between BotW and past 3D entries is that in BotW, progress is not sectioned off by item rewards as it was previously. Dungeon spoils had a bigger impact on progression in the older games. They were keys to unlock the path forward, and so they were tied directly to a sense of progress and an improvement to Link's set of abilities.

Yep. BotW abandoned this metroidvania side of gameplay.

Top Bottom