• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

How the hell can I stay undeteced from these guardians and their lasers?

Super frustrating when you want to stay away from them and they still kill you from miles away.

one_kill

Just finished the game after 210 hours, only 41.85% done. Amazing game!

114 Shrines
222 Korok seeds

I still have some side quests and shrine quests to do.

Under the Shrine quests menu it says that I have 38/42, these are the Shrines that are triggered by an NPC or event?
Most of them, yeah. Some you just need to find and solve.

I'm sitting here fucking about on my laptop while my GF watches TV and whatever she's watching had a day-night transition shot including a sped up sunrise. I see this out of the corner of my eye and loudly exclaim "Ugh... fucking blood moon again!".

This fucking game is seeping into the real world, goddamit!

Megatron

I have like six hearts, only Ubosa's Fury and don't know why. I'm always too slow.

Amount of hearts is completely irrelevant.

Just time the deflections with your shield. Don't move, they will get into a good range and stay there. Just keep reloading checkpoint until you get it....and then keep reloading again until you get ancient cores.

Anyone know a good area to get star fragments? I need one more to fully upgrade the
ancient
set.

Here you go:

So, beyond these 7 are there any other known Star Fragment locations in the game?

1. Dog in Lurelin Village
  2. Dog at Snowfield Stable
  3. "My Hero" quest at Outskirt Stable
  4. "Balloon Flight" quest at Woodland Stable
  5. Cliff outcropping at Spool Bight
  6. Chest in Thyphlo Ruins
  7. Underwater chest at Hyrule Castle Docks

Chinbo37

I have like six hearts, only Ubosa's Fury and don't know why. I'm always too slow.

You can dodge their lasers pretty well if you focus on running away from them as they are charging their laser and then taking a hard right and running just before they are going to fire.

Of course this doesn't work as well if more than 1 are firing at you.

Red

You can dodge their lasers pretty well if you focus on running away from them as they are charging their laser and then taking a hard right and running just before they are going to fire.

Of course this doesn't work as well if more than 1 are firing at you.
It's pretty easy to avoid lasers by running toward the guardians, as long as they are offset at least a few degrees from your path. Run in a straight line and you will almost never be hit, unless you are within one or two guardian leg spans away from them. This works even when there are multiple lasers. Make sure you're sprinting when they fire. There's not much to it.

Once you get parry timing down they become much less threatening. In groups, they can still present a danger.

Speely

Banned
The cool thing about
dragon
hunting is that it's often best to do it near a
Lynel
spot (for two of them, anyway, I find.) Makes the trip all the more worthwhile.

I just got done a gnarly 12 hour matathon from 5am-5pm. First time outside today drove by the neighbours lawn with a big rock out front and my first thought was I better lift that to see if there's a korok seed...

13ruce

Banned
I just got done a gnarly 12 hour matathon from 5am-5pm. First time outside today drove by the neighbours lawn with a big rock out front and my first thought was I better lift that to see if there's a korok seed...

Same here hehe, had the same issue with MGS V where i thought all things could be fultoned:p

Now i have it with Koroks or wanting to grab usefull things and cook them:p

Wow today I did the korok tests and I really enjoyed them, don't know why people botch so much about them. Also did a bunch of hidden shrines and got a lot of armor! 100 hours and still only 2 dungeons and 76 shrines. Thus game is the best and most entertaining I've ever played!

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
ok beaten - 105 hours.

master sword,

71 shrines

4 divine beasts

hylian shield

about 6 armor sets

all 4 faries

6 memories (4 still to collect)

amazing experience. will still run around the world to explore every now and again.

Speely

Banned
ok beaten - 105 hours.

master sword,

71 shrines

4 divine beasts

hylian shield

about 6 armor sets

all 4 faries

6 memories (4 still to collect)

amazing experience. will still run around the world to explore every now and again.

You have 6 memories left, not 4 ;)

Found a craiglist ad for someone wanting to trade their switch for a galaxy N3DSXL, and lept on it since it came with Zelda.

No regrets.

Tan

Not sure if we can talk about puzzle solutions here but I'll spoiler the whole thing.

Relates to hebra region

Trying to use snowballs to knock down a door in hebra region. How do I get more? Am I going to have teleport out so I reload the whole area?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not sure if we can talk about puzzle solutions here but I'll spoiler the whole thing.

Relates to hebra region

Trying to use snowballs to knock down a door in hebra region. How do I get more? Am I going to have teleport out so I reload the whole area?

You might be able to just reload, odds are it auto-saved as you got into the area.

That's an interesting trade.

I thought so too, since the system was pretty much brand new and it was clearly not stolen as he had a receipt(from launch which he kept...for some reason). He was a big SMT fan and I had a small collection of DS/3DS atlas games, also my 3DSXL appeared to have really nice screens compared to others I've seen.

Either way can't complain, tbh. The switch is amazing, Zelda is more fun than anything I've had with lately.

Ogodei

Everwake Island kicked so much ass, a real survival-style challenge that sort of tests all of your knowledge. It's like going back to Great Plateau, but this time you know what you're doing. So, so cool.

Eggiem

Everwake Island kicked so much ass, a real survival-style challenge that sort of tests all of your knowledge. It's like going back to Great Plateau, but this time you know what you're doing. So, so cool.

Just drop some of your swords before you begin the quest. Pick them up later. Easy. ;)

The Argus

I somehow lost my favorite sword, I'm damn sure I didn't break it. Can't remember the name, but it looked like a katana, did about 30 damage, and was one handed. Haven't found one yet, anyone know where I can find another?

I somehow lost my favorite sword, I'm damn sure I didn't break it. Can't remember the name, but it looked like a katana, did about 30 damage, and was one handed. Haven't found one yet, anyone know where I can find another?

If I do not remember wrongly, there's a katana
in the water
behind
Impa's house
in K
akariko
Village.

It's only 30 damage anyway, you will find better stuff.

I'm trying to upgrade my
barbarian set
to the max. Any advice on how to
get horn fragments from the dragons? I happened to have the yellow one already, but I couldn't find the blue dragon today and I had trouble with the red one and ended up with a tooth :/

Not sure if people already know this...

A diagram! You're amazing! You should post this in that other thread as well. This is really going to help me out as I'm currently hunting for specific monster parts

Not sure if people already know this.
Wasn't sure if I should post this in this thread or the "I didn't know you could do this" thread, so I'll post it here first. I'll spoiler tag it just in case people don't want to know a way to make some encounters really easy.

So, as anybody who played this game would know, sneaking up on an enemy from behind will allow you to preform a "sneak strike" which does 4x (I think) the damage as a normal attack. However when you preform a sneak strike on an enemy and it doesn't kill them, it then alerts them to your presence, right? Wrong. Once you use the sneak strike on an enemy, it will fall down, and then stand up, and turn to face the direction where the sneak strike happened, however it only alerts the foe of your presence if you still standing in its view. So, if you were to, say, run (or walk) to the other side of the foe, it will jump up and turn around, and not notice you, there by allowing you to sneak strike it once again. Rinse and repeat until enemy is dead. Should probably be noted that I was wearing the Shieka Ninja stuff when I did all this.
Here is a little picture (drawn in mspaint) to show what I mean.
YNpztlX.png

Beedle is sketch as fuck lmao. Refusing to trade him your energetic rhino beetle will prompt an evil sounding grunt from him as well as a plot to steal it from your inventory. Always knew the dude was evil behind his cheery facade

Beedle is sketch as fuck lmao. Refusing to trade him your energetic rhino beetle will prompt an evil sounding grunt from him as well as a plot to steal it from your inventory. Always knew the dude was evil behind his cheery facade

Wind Waker Beedle would never do that. Another reason for WW Beedle best Beedle

Not sure if people already know this.
Wasn't sure if I should post this in this thread or the "I didn't know you could do this" thread, so I'll post it here first. I'll spoiler tag it just in case people don't want to know a way to make some encounters really easy.

So, as anybody who played this game would know, sneaking up on an enemy from behind will allow you to preform a "sneak strike" which does 4x (I think) the damage as a normal attack. However when you preform a sneak strike on an enemy and it doesn't kill them, it then alerts them to your presence, right? Wrong. Once you use the sneak strike on an enemy, it will fall down, and then stand up, and turn to face the direction where the sneak strike happened, however it only alerts the foe of your presence if you still standing in its view. So, if you were to, say, run (or walk) to the other side of the foe, it will jump up and turn around, and not notice you, there by allowing you to sneak strike it once again. Rinse and repeat until enemy is dead. Should probably be noted that I was wearing the Shieka Ninja stuff when I did all this.
Here is a little picture (drawn in mspaint) to show what I mean.
YNpztlX.png

I bet doing this wile its raining increases even more your chances of success

ColdPizza

Banned
Trying to track down my last shrine.

If I unlock a shrine and the travel port opens but I don't beat it, does it still show up as blue on my map? I'm afraid I have one like that.

I'm finished at last. What a game. Stats:

Version: Wii U (first ~90 hours on 1.1.0, last ~40 hours on 1.1.1)
Total Playtime: 132 hours
Shrines: 120
Korok seeds: 445
Glitches found: 4
Equipment used while delivering the final blow on Ganon: Mop, Boko Bow, pot lid, and no clothes
Favorite quote: "I must dance!"
Times I made Beedle fall over by blowing up a bomb next to him: countless :)

Thoughts/critique:

I can't remember the last time a video game has commanded my attention for so long while retaining a constant level of quality throughout. Open world games have never appealed to me because they always felt like a chore after the first few hours, a feeling BotW did not evoke until very late when scouring the world for Korok seeds (totally optional, of course).

I decided to play the game by sharing a save file with my brother, as we both wanted to play it but can only have one current save file for whatever godforsaken reason. He also has more of a taste for open world games like Skyrim and Fallout, so I figured that trading off control would help alleviate the burnout I normally feel playing an open world game. That burnout never happened with BotW. Still, we traded control every few hours or so, which ended up working really well for this type of game. It was nice having another person to bounce ideas off of for solving puzzles or noticing something in the environment that would have been missed otherwise. It was also extremely interesting to see how drastically the flavor of the game changes when a different person takes over - something that can't be said about every game.

Strangely enough, the Zelda this one reminded me most of was Majora's Mask. Both have a rather abbreviated main quest, which seems to be a common criticism of both. If you play either game by beelining to main quest points then calling it quits once the credits roll, then of course they're going to feel underwhelming compared to other Zeldas. But that's the beauty of MM and BotW: it's not the core trunk of the game that's interesting, it's the world that's been built around it. As strange as it sounds, the "main quest" is not actually the meat and potatoes of BotW, it's the world itself. The "main quest" simply exists to drive exploration for those who need some sort of objective to function. I've always respected MM for having the balls to deviate from the norm of Zelda conventions, and BotW feels like it's following in MM's footsteps in that regard. The fact that BotW, like MM, retains the flavor of Zelda while successfully breaking new ground is something to be commended.

Shades of Mario 64 are present in its sense of freedom and experimentation. Someone ITT compared the plateau to Peach's castle courtyard, which is an excellent analogy. The great plateau is one of the best, if not THE best, tutorial sections in all of gaming, and effortlessly teaches you how the game works without resorting to the heavy handed dialog of Zeldas past. It evokes that sense of possibility that Mario 64's courtyard did, by allowing the player to freely experiment with the game's systems until they're ready to move on.

A comparison to Just Cause 2 can be made in the kinetic and satisfying sensation of movement. JC2 is always fun to revisit simply to dick around grappling, parachuting, and stunt jumping effortlessly across its vast world; it was just too bad that almost all of its world wasn't worth exploring. BotW employs equally satisfying movement techniques like climbing to make you feel a sense of mastery over the world without resorting to skill trees or XP bars - and here the world is absolutely worth exploring.

Everything in BotW feeds into exploration, including weapon degradation. At first I found it annoying and agreed with the common criticism against it, but the more I played I realized how indispensable it was to the core gameplay loop that is so addicting. It's really a non-issue once you learn to manage your resources, just like Metroid Prime 2's ammo system and Majora's Mask's 3 day cycle before it. Approaching this game with an open mind and no expectations based on previous Zeldas is absolutely the best way to go.

With all that said, the part of BotW that surprised me the most is how it truly is about the adventure you forge. Literally the only requirements the game enforces are completing the plateau and defeating Ganon. The rest is up to you, and you can call it quits whenever you've had your fill. This allows the game to be as grindy or as checklist heavy as you make it out to be. Nintendo has flirted with this design philosophy since the Wii days, usually saving harder, more grindy content for post-credits gameplay, but here they've pulled out all the stops. This is YOUR adventure.

One of my IRL hobbies is taking long bike rides to random locations - not because the destination is particularily interesting, but because the journey there is intrinsically rewarding in its own right. Nintendo has created a open world game around this intrinsic value of exploration - a profound design decision in an era where open worlds simply serve as a hub to get from point A to point B. To feel the same sensation of IRL adventure in a game world is nothing short of astounding. Not only that, but they succeeded so much at what they set out to accomplish that its brilliant design shines through its rather apparent flaws. Breath of the Wild has done to open world games what Halo did to FPSes: it reinvents the genre completely and makes you wonder how you ever put up with the old paradigm of game design.

10/10, no question. Simply magical.

watershed

Banned
Even completing the Hyrule Compendium is addicting. Reading the flavor text gives great background and character to the world. The guardian stuff in particular is interesting. I just imagine the Sheikah using all these different machines to fight Ganon and his army.

Anteo

I decided to play the game by sharing a save file with my brother, as we both wanted to play it but can only have one current save file for whatever godforsaken reason.

Create another profile on your wiiu/switch, each profile gets their own save

Top Bottom