• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Burny

You shot nothing down, your counter-argument is that besides shrines and Korok seeds there is also armor. And a camera and rune upgrades (both of which you get early in the main quest). And this somehow makes for a great reward structure? I'm still exploring these bazillion square miles of land and still only finding shrines ( 0.5% of them have an armor piece in them, see I'm not forgetting) and Korok seeds, am I not?

Bomb bags, arrow storage and Biggoron sword of run-three-times-across-the-map-for-something-useless? Yeah, I've felt rewarded far more by BotW due to the game sparing me this bullshit. See an enemy with a big weapon? Kill it, take weapon, enjoy reward. Inventory slots actually have universal use in the game, due to weaponry being thankfully no longer inseparably attached to the character, so Koroks have universal use in the game's reward structure.

Then there's the reward of seeing a glowing mountaintop at night, traveling there and finding a well with a spirit beast you can tame and ride. Or making your way through a snowy mountain, finding some strange doors, figuring out how to bust them open and finding a huge ice cavern with fossile bones and a shrine. The shrines are the better variant of heart pieces BTW.. They have a challenge attached, either through NPC side quest, traversal 'puzzle', combat or outright puzzle setup. And four make a heart. Or a stamina upgrade, so there's actually depth due to choice, based on playtime and need. Beats heart pieces in every possibly conceivable way.

Optional cool things to find that actually help to build the world, more than anything did in previous 3d Zeldas. That is, if you're not preoccupied wishing the game really only let you carry ten bombs, then find some random character asking you to do stuff for him to give you a bigger bag, so you could carry - *gasp* - 20 bombs.

Hiya!

So I started this game yesterday. Quick question. As someone likes to explore and do so many of the things as one can, I was wondering how much I should ignore the main quest in order to do as much as I can before facing Calamity Ganon.

I guess what I mean to ask...does the main quest take you to all areas of the map, or only to some parts leaving the rest for you to see on your own?

There are several large areas of the map that aren't needed for the main quest

Machina

Banned
Hiya!

So I started this game yesterday. Quick question. As someone likes to explore and do so many of the things as one can, I was wondering how much I should ignore the main quest in order to do as much as I can before facing Calamity Ganon.

I guess what I mean to ask...does the main quest take you to all areas of the map, or only to some parts leaving the rest for you to see on your own?

As soon as you've been to Kakariko, just strike out in any random direction and see where the wind takes you.

lol

"You shot nothing down, except when you did, by naming a bunch of things I ignored".

You have to be trolling (or you're not actually exploring or engaging in sidequests at all), especially considering you've completely failed to reply to Shamrock's list, which is far more detailed than mine.

We're talking about sidequest rewards, so why are you even mentioning the camera and rune upgrades. That's the first thing you get through the goddamn main quest. Finding new armor means finding shrines (except for like 2 pieces in the entire game). So really, if you're going to argue that side rewards are totally more awesome in BotW than past Zelda games, you're already starting very poorly.

"Failed to reply", sorry for not being superhuman and being able to address every post in great detail.

As for Shamrock's list:

Yeah, Tarry Town was nice. Not in a reward sense really, as you don't really get anything meaningful for it (lol, BotW). Horses, right. Those are good I guess. I have no idea why anybody would think the rest of this list makes a case for great, rewarding side quests and exploration. It's all meaningless fluff. Like that "optional village". There's nothing in this village except for people who give you quests which reward you with 50 rupees. And point you to...wait for it...a shrine.

Someone made fun of the bomb bag and empty bottle I mentioned. But get this: that stuff feels more meaningful than a vast majority of the shit BotW throws at you. It is permament and unique, two qualities only the armor pieces provide in BotW, the rest is basically just resource gathering.

Why would you play mini-games in BotW? For rupees. Not heart pieces or a bigger quiver. Just rupees.

Why would you do sidequest in BotW? For rupees. Not Bigggorons Sword. 20 Rupees for that baked apple, why is this even a thing.

Why kill overworld bosses? For weapons and gems. So basically ammo and resources. Certainly not for some unique item or weapon.

Why solve overworld puzzles? For Spirit Orbs and Korok seeds. And there is a bazillion of each. Certainly not for some kind of unique reward. It can even be useless just give me something else just once.

The one thing that stops BotW from being the least rewarding exploration experience of all time is armor and clothing . You find literally nothing else of value. So when people wonder: "how come some of you guys don't think this game is a very rewarding experience compared to past games?", I really don't think this is some great mystery?

We're talking about sidequest rewards, so why are you even mentioning the camera and rune upgrades. That's the first thing you get through the goddamn main quest.

No, you don't. The first items you receive in the main questline are the four runes The camera and rune upgrades are completely optional.

Hiya!

If you do story quests only, you'd miss like 1/2 of the map. So what I did: I turned on the pings for the story quests to see which areas are "story" areas and then avoided them like the plague until I got bored of exploring and felt like moving the narrative forward. I've seen like 90% of the map (if not more) following that strat and it was great.

Megatron

Concerning some great overworld challenges, I just beat the
Typhlo Ruins by paragliding over the darkness and finding the glowing Sheikah sphere. I also beat Eventide Island which was a lot of fun, and I like how the flying minigame unlocks after beating the challenge.
The only major overworld challenges I have left are
the labyrinths

You only have to visit maybe half of the regions to complete the main quest, and only specific spots in those regions, so there is a ton to explore on your own. Before you do that, you should at least get far enough to trigger the main quest. Theres another big quest you get about the same time that goes very well with exploring.

Machina

Banned
Thanks!

Hm. So you recommend going to Kakariko village first before doing anything else? I'm still on the Great Plateau and was planning on heading somewhere else before that.

Kakariko is pretty much a good starting point on its own anyway. You can buy supplies to get you started from the stores then just go in whatever direction you like. Just deactivate the main quest from your objectives list if you don't want it bugging you.

If you want to get really freaky with the blind exploration aspect, don't activate the Towers.

Caelus

The act of getting to destinations and combat is itself a reward. The level and fluidity of traversal and item usage in this game beasts other Zeldas, it's hard going back to the older 3D ones because it all just feels so slow.

Burny

The one thing that stops BotW from being the least rewarding exploration experience of all time is armor and clothing . You find literally nothing else of value. So when people wonder: "how come some of you guys don't think this game is a very rewarding experience compared to past games?", I really don't think this is some great mystery?

Yes, because it's pretty weird for somebody to not recognize shrines for what they are: the better manifestation of heart pieces. As I said above: four make a heart. Do they need to paint a quarter heart on the spirit orbs for you or don't you find they pose appropriate sidequests unless your bomb bag is limited to ten?

Sure though, there's literally nothing else of value. Except for the tons of things of actual value. From weapons, which are for the first time not inseparately attached to the character, which led to absolutely zero equipment depth in previous Zeldas, to all the doodads required to upgrade armour, to the better variation of heart pieces to actually brilliant and optional locations you can discover.

Shaanyboi

Banned
We're talking about sidequest rewards, so why are you even mentioning the camera and rune upgrades. That's the first thing you get through the goddamn main quest. Finding new armor means finding shrines (except for like 2 pieces in the entire game). So really, if you're going to argue that side rewards are totally more awesome in BotW than past Zelda games, you're already starting very poorly.

"Failed to reply", sorry for not being superhuman and being able to address every post in great detail.

As for Shamrock's list:

Yeah, Tarry Town was nice. Not in a reward sense really, as you don't really get anything meaningful for it (lol, BotW). Horses, right. Those are good I guess. I have no idea why anybody would think the rest of this list makes a case for great, rewarding side quests and exploration. It's all meaningless fluff. Like that "optional village". There's nothing in this village except for people who give you quests which reward you with 50 rupees. And point you to...wait for it...a shrine.

Someone made fun of the bomb bag and empty bottle I mentioned. But get this: that stuff feels more meaningful than a vast majority of the shit BotW throws at you. It is permament and unique, two qualities only the armor pieces provide in BotW, the rest is basically just resource gathering.

Why would you play mini-games in BotW? For rupees. Not heart pieces or a bigger quiver. Just rupees.

Why would you do sidequest in BotW? For rupees. Not Bigggorons Sword. 20 Rupees for that baked apple, why is this even a thing.

Why kill overworld bosses? For weapons and gems. So basically ammo and resources. Certainly not for some unique item or weapon.

Why solve overworld puzzles? For Spirit Orbs and Korok seeds. And there is a bazillion of each. Certainly not for some kind of unique reward. It can even be useless just give me something else just once.

Wait how is a spirit orb not equivalent to a heart piece? It serves the exact same function - 1/4 of a new heart container. Or a stamina increase.

Caelus

Wait how is a spirit orb not equivalent to a heart piece? It serves the exact same function - 1/4 of a new heart container. Or a stamina increase.

They're also so much more valuable in this game, since greater stamina adds power to charged attacks in combat and can help with climbing and paragliding long distances.

Even additional heart containers are useful due to the combat being more challenging in general, as well as
to obtain the Master Sword, and increase the length of its beam.

Also about rewards: I am happy to see the back of rupee and bomb bags, empty bottles, and key items I'll use maybe a couple of times.

Fucking loved exploring in this game. Easily the most addictive in any of the Zeldas I've played (which is all of them except the CD-i games.)

They're also so much more valuable in this game, since greater stamina adds power to charged attacks in combat and can help with climbing and paragliding long distances.

Even additional heart containers are useful due to the combat being more challenging in general, as well as
to obtain the Master Sword, and increase the length of its beam.

Didn't even know about the second half of the spoiler-tagged bit. Pretty cool!

KevinG

Guys guys guys.

It's okay if Com Truise doesn't think the game is rewarding. He's obviously set on that perception, so let him be. One man's "treasure and rewarding experience" is another man's "I don't feel rewarded."

Guys guys guys.

It's okay if Com Truise doesn't think the game is rewarding. He's obviously set on that perception, so let him be. One man's "treasure and rewarding experience" is another man's "I don't feel rewarded."

No one cares that he doesn't find the game rewarding. People are responding to him because he's making shit up.

Anteo

Thanks!

Hm. So you recommend going to Kakariko village first before doing anything else? I'm still on the Great Plateau and was planning on heading somewhere else before that.

You will be given a quest to go to kakariko before you leave the plateau, there are some upgrades you get by going to kakariko and following the quest they give you. After finishing that they will mark on your map the location of the places you need to go to do the main quest.

You can also ignore all that because is not required at all to beat the game. You coukd go from the plateau straight to hyrule castle and beat the game ignoring everything else

Machina

Banned
I would agree with him in the sense that armor pieces do feel few and far between. When you finish a shrine that was particularly tough and you are about to open a chest and that little thrill happens where you think you're about to get something awesome then.....Oh, it's a weapon that I first discovered 20 hours ago that isn't even anywhere near as good as what I've got now.

It almost seems like the majority of the unique clothes and armor you do get you just buy from stores. Some of the better ones like the Armor you get from
Rito Village
and
Goron City
would have been better suited being hidden in shrines in the surrounding area

jariw

Thanks!

IIRC, Kakariko is where the main quests suggest you go after the Great Plateau.

I'd actually suggest following the main quest thread a little bit further, until the village after Kakariko. After that, you'll have all the tools required for exploration in an efficient way.

As for Shamrock's list:

Tarry Town's ultimate reward is it's basically a hub that sells valuable items for cheaper or items that can be hard to find.

I mean, that's completely subjective. For whatever reason you have the opinion that getting a larger bomb bag FEELS more meaningful than getting new armor or weapons in BotW. I can't argue with how you feel, but I can factually say that BotW offers the same type of equipment boosting rewards and more.

On one hand you argue against shrines as the main thing they offer is spheres to get stamina and heart containers, and then here you are arguing that BotW mini games should reward you with something meaningful like heart containers... lol...

As I took the time to point out in my previous post, many of the sidequests lead to equipment, suits, horses, upgrades, etc. What you are saying here is factually incorrect and dishonest.

And yet again here is a contradiction. Here you are arguing that "ammo and resources" are not great rewards, yet previously you argue about the merits of a bomb bag upgrade, lol.

You continue to ignore the posted list of rewards that myself and others have mentioned to foolishly defend this debunked narrative you keep trying to push.

So here is the path you have taken with your argument.
"All BotW offers is shrines and korok seeds"
to
"All BotW offers is rupees"
to
"All BotW offers is resources and equipment"
to
"All BotW offers is armor and clothing"

with a little "yea horses ok" sprinkled in lol. Come on dude.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I would agree with him in the sense that armor pieces do feel few and far between. When you finish a shrine that was particularly tough and you are about to open a chest and that little thrill happens where you think you're about to get something awesome then.....Oh, it's a weapon that I first discovered 20 hours ago that isn't even anywhere near as good as what I've got now.

It almost seems like the majority of the unique clothes and armor you do get you just buy from stores.

The really useful armor comes from shrines and stuff though. Generally the stuff you buy is either normal armor or stuff you need to advance in the game.

Anteo

I cany believe someone is arguing that a bigger bomb bag/bigger quiver is a good reward. For one thing that means they think having limited bombs/arrows is better than having unlimited bombs and potentially unlimited arrows from the start of the game.

I cany believe someone is arguing that a bigger bomb bag/bigger quiver is a good reward. For one thing that means they think having limited bombs/arrows is better than having unlimited bombs and potentially unlimited arrows from the start of the game.

The bomb rune is one of BotW's secret best additions. Not only is your stash unlimited (which greatly encourages adding them to your combat repertoire), you never have to wait by a bomb flower or purchase bombs in a shop in order to replenish your inventory.

Well, I don't actually disagree with the idea of artificially putting limitations on the player from the beginning, so that doesn't bother me. I mean, depending on the game it can work, as other Zelda games have shown. The argument that these are somehow greater rewards than what is present in BotW is lol worthy though.

Well, I don't actually disagree with the idea of artificially putting limitations on the player from the beginning, so that doesn't bother me. I mean, depending on the game it can work, as other Zelda games have shown. The argument that these are somehow greater rewards than what is present in BotW is lol worthy though.

I'd argue placing arbitrary limits on the amount of rupees you can hold doesn't work in older Zelda games. It's less of an annoyance with bombs and arrows though, I'll agree with that.

kunonabi

The act of getting to destinations and combat is itself a reward. The level and fluidity of traversal and item usage in this game beasts other Zeldas, it's hard going back to the older 3D ones because it all just feels so slow.

Constantly changing gear due to weapons breaking and the weather feels much obtrusive and slow if you ask me. The combat is simple and boring so it isn't much of a reward to engage in either. Item usage is much more fluid in SS as well. Hell that game made better use of materials and upgrading gear too since you actually got visually different equipment with added functionality unlike the simple stat boosts botw offers.

jariw

How isn't the empty bottle in the old games resource gathering? You need to fill the empty bottle with a consumable resource. Even bombs are consumable resources in the old games.

It's just that the older games locked you out from resource gathering right away, through the empty bottle and bomb bag mechanisms, which was part of the linear design of those games.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! As someone who found the design of the older 3D Zelda games monotonous (tried Twilight Princess and OoTP, got bored with them), BotW is really, really great. Hope Nintendo sticks with this formula with Zelda from here on.
If you do story quests only, you'd miss like 1/2 of the map. So what I did: I turned on the pings for the story quests to see which areas are "story" areas and then avoided them like the plague until I got bored of exploring and felt like moving the narrative forward. I've seen like 90% of the map (if not more) following that strat and it was great.
Thanks for the tip!
Kakariko is pretty much a good starting point on its own anyway. You can buy supplies to get you started from the stores then just go in whatever direction you like. Just deactivate the main quest from your objectives list if you don't want it bugging you.

If you want to get really freaky with the blind exploration aspect, don't activate the Towers.
Ah. Sounds like I'll stop by Kakariko first, then (and do whatever side quests are available there, if there are any).

Caelus

Constantly changing gear due to weapons breaking and the weather feels much obtrusive and slow if you ask me. The combat is simple and boring so it isn't much of a reward to engage in either.

Disagree. I don't see why combat is simple or boring. Rarely do I find myself approaching a scenario with the same tactic. I do think they should've made it into an item wheel instead of horizontal navigation.

imo, people overstate the frequency of weapons breaking and the climate's intrusion. I feel bad for people with the Blood Moon glitch, though.

Item usage is much more fluid in SS as well. Hell that game made better use of materials and upgrading gear too since you actually got visually different equipment with added functionality unlike the simple stat boosts botw offers.

I prefer the weapon variety in Breath of the Wild. I feel zero inclination in using any of Skyward Sword's weapons for combat.

I enjoy switching out weapons, mixing and matching (freezing enemies then shattering them with bomb arrows), wearing so many combinations of different equipment and armor - whether it looks cool or offers a bonus, there's so much more freedom in what I've experienced.

But, opinions and all that.

Menitta

Ok so I'm at the Yiga clan base. I'm currently trying to
sneak by all the guards. I've discovered the ability to stasis enemies and they won't notice, get behind them and sneakstrike. I'm basically Dio.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble keeping track of every guard and I get noticed. Just gotta keep at it.

jariw

sneak by all the guards. I've discovered the ability to stasis enemies and they won't notice, get behind them and sneakstrike. I'm basically Dio.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble keeping track of every guard and I get noticed. Just gotta keep at it.

Or think about what they like...?

kunonabi

Disagree. I don't see why combat is simple or boring. Rarely do I find myself approaching a scenario with the same tactic. I do think they should've made it into an item wheel instead of horizontal navigation.

imo, people overstate the frequency of weapons breaking and the climate's intrusion. I feel bad for people with the Blood Moon glitch, though.

I prefer the weapon variety in Breath of the Wild. I feel zero inclination in using any of Skyward Sword's weapons for combat.

I enjoy switching out weapons, mixing and matching (freezing enemies then shattering them with bomb arrows), wearing so many combinations of different equipment and armor - whether it looks cool or offers a bonus, there's so much more freedom in what I've experienced.

But, opinions and all that.

When you're trying to farm materials, hunt koroks, talk to particular npcs, the weather is absolutely an annoyance.

weapons all pretty much operate the same aside from reach and speed and you lose a control in how you can attack with them compared to previous games. Nothing exciting about it. I had way more fun mixing things up with the whip, beetle, etc. in SS.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

You can use
bananas
to distract them too.

perfect. I think my earlier comment stands

As it pertains to the "rewards" argument, I tried to make the case to one guy that I think he was mischaracterizing the problem he has with BOTW. Simply put, I said it sounded like he wanted a more linear game, with something like dungeon items from previous games representing a sense of progression and opening up areas that were closed off.

The vast majority of dungeon items in previous Zelda games aren't even used much outside of their dungeon, except for a few uses here and there to get somewhere. They acted as "keys" to the open world for a couple of doors.

I don't even think wanting a game like that is a bad thing. It's a preference, but they need to articulate it correctly instead of coming up with this factually incorrect argument about a lack of "rewards" in BOTW over other Zelda games.

It's ok to say you prefer a much more linear, controlled experience, or even something in between. No need to make up false and easily debunked arguments about BotW, like "rewards"

Pinky

Banned
Finally tamed my first Divine Beast(Vah Rudania/Death Mountain). Really cool! Pretty clever how you can
physically manipulate the entire dungeon. I also found Fireblight Ganon to be a complete pushover. I was barely prepared and expected to die, but I took him out pretty quickly
. Overall, pretty cool dungeon! One down, three to go!

I really loved the hidden shrine located in
an underground freezing waterway
, especially that you can leave it simply by
pushing a log into the water and riding it out safely

By any chance, what level cold resistance do you need to avoid
damage in those waters, as the rito gear was useless
?

In terms of good side quest rewards, only one person mentioned the memories, and no one mentioned the master sword.

As for bomb bag/arrow quiver being good rewards, I can see where s/he's coming from. Having ammo limits in the first place is pretty shitty, but it's something that actually affects the way you play. It is actively limiting you, actively hampering you, so that when you finally upgrade it, it feels very substantial, like something that actually improves your quality of life and lets you play more effectively. I think the same could be said of stamina upgrades in this game.

Machina

Banned
Finally tamed my first Divine Beast(Vah Rudania/Death Mountain). Really cool! Pretty clever how you can
physically manipulate the entire dungeon. I also found Fireblight Ganon to be a complete pushover. I was barely prepared and expected to die, but I took him out pretty quickly
. Overall, pretty cool dungeon! One down, three to go!

I tend to find this is the case for pretty much all of them. As long as you aim well to hit them in the "eye" with the bow, you get ample time to wail on them

kunonabi

perfect. I think my earlier comment stands

It's ok to say you prefer a much more linear, controlled experience, or even something in between. No need to make up false and easily debunked arguments about BotW, like "rewards"

There is nothing debunked about the rewards being shit in BotW. 95% of every mystery or interesting local ends in a shrine or korok. Sidequests throwing a couple horses and disposable items at you doesn't really offset that and the one or two other exceptions are too little, too late. The fact that a bunch of the rewards have 0 functionality like the
medals, the piece of shit, and the photo
is also completely ridiculous.

Majukun

The bartender tells me to go north of the city at day time, but I can't find the character she tells me to meet :-/
agaib, check the map, the name of the place should give away where you need to go... IF I remember is not one of those places that you need to discover first before its name appears on the map either

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Any reward for giving Beedle a fucking Beetle every time I see him except the shitty elixirs he offers me in return?

Just want to know if I'm wasting my time

Top Bottom