• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

scoobs

The wet climbing issue I think is one mechanic the game could've been perfectly fine without. I know Nintendo were going for realism but I don't think people would have even taken note of it
I just went and slept at the inn, ran back and it started storming AGAIN. Fuck all of this.

Regginator

It does
shoot beams at full health, greater range the more hearts you have,
greater power based on how upgraded the Tunic of the Wild is

I guess that's my problem, I have no idea what the
Tunic of the Wild
is. You probably need to have that for the
ranged attacks
? I've seen it used here and there on this forum, but I figured it's probably Amiibo gear, because I haven't found a single one of the set during my 120 hours.

But I would argue that this is where the Romanticizing of previous Zelda games comes in. How much more valuable does it feel to get a heart container then vs now, or bomb bag upgrade vs a weapon stash upgrade. A lot of that, in my opinion, may have to do with nostalgia

Same goes for difficulty. Yes, this game gets easier in the second half (depending on how much you did because almost everything is optional and you can make things really difficult for yourself) but at least this game has difficulty. Zeldas have been absolute cakewalks for many, many years.

Anteo

Tunic of the Wild
ranged attacks
? I've seen it used here and there on this forum, but I figured it's probably Amiibo gear.

No, amiibo gear is all the other classic tunics (i.e. the tunic of the hero of time)
the
tunic of the wild
is the clasic green for the current link

The wet climbing issue I think is one mechanic the game could've been perfectly fine without. I know Nintendo were going for realism but I don't think people would have even taken note of it
I don't understand the complaints about this. It's a challenge that you solve using the game mechanics.

Vitet

Tunic of the Wild
ranged attacks
? I've seen it used here and there on this forum, but I figured it's probably Amiibo gear, because I haven't found a single one of the set during my 120 hours.

You don't need it for the ranged attack to work. You can throw it as soon as you get the weapon (at full health)

Regginator

No, amiibo gear is all the other classic tunics (i.e. the tunic of the hero of time)
the
tunic of the wild
is the clasioc green for the current link

Hmm, I guess I'll have to hunt that one down. Is it like the other gear that you need to find 3 parts to form a set? Or is it just a complete one?

Because if it's like any other 3-item set, I find it weird I haven't encountered at least one of it during my 120 hours.

Hmm, I guess I'll have to hunt that one down. Is it like the other gear that you need to find 3 parts to form a set? Or is it just a complete one?

Because if it's like any other 3-item set, I find it weird I haven't encountered at least one of it during my 120 hours.

You obtain this armor set by
completing all 120 shrines.

En-ou

And there we go: You don't like open world games. It's really not necessary to justify it, because it's fine. Tastes gonna teastes and there's really no need to make up bullshit arguments to justify how open world is inferior to "tight action adventure". While we're throwing mud though: BotW may be "open word diarrhea" to you, so why not go back, play two decades worth of previous console Zelda games? "Tight action adventure" aka:

I guess pretty much (98%) the entire gaming industry likes 90% diarrhoea according to mission impossible.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I will say that BotW's sense of progression is sometimes a little... gradual? I think it's a lie to say there's no progression, because I'm sure we all remember dying to random Red Bokoblins at the start, but you go back with maxed out Ancient Armour, all four Champions' Abilities, maxed out stamina, maxed out hearts, and some good weaponry and you absolutely destroy what's there. But because BotW is such a vast game, any individual item you find is very small. There's no moment of "my god, the power!"; where you just get something and it feels like a complete and total gamechanger, like you sometimes got in past Zelda titles.

The other thing is that the joy of unlocking a new capability and being able to do new things is a thrill. Not because you can now use that item to progress, as the mocking picture of the shapes and slots says, but because, well, there's just something really cool about having your abilities expanded. And I do agree this design sometimes lead to games being linear - you have to go to A to get the item to go to B to get the item to go to C. But it doesn't *have* to be this way. You can have 'semi-linear' design - you can go to A or B and get two different items which can take you to C or D - for example, you migh get the Hookshot at A and the Spinner at B, but both can be used to get you to C in different ways.

I think that might be a way of synthesizing the older 3D Zeldas and BotW - but it would be an incredibly sophisticated feat of game design. I can't actually think of a title that does the above well. The closest is Super Metroid - and it does so unintentionally. But I do think there's room for improvement in terms of the rewards. BotW needed more 'significant' rewards, and it perhaps needed more things that act as gamechangers. You can actually see a few of these - you can get everywhere you need without the Zora Armour, but it does let you get to many places in an alternative way and really does expand your capability set. But there's not many such examples.

There were times when I feel like I boosted with time to spare and it still stopped at the hurdle. And the auto turn crap still happened.

The horse AI to avoid obstacles can be finicky, but the only fence I had trouble with was the one next to the cliff. I would recommend you not gallop (boost). Maybe do a short gallop between fences if you are trying to shave your time but a fast horse at 4 or 5 stars should be able to get through quickly enough that you don't need to gallop, other than back to the stable. Just line up your jumps from a good distance, don't try to correct your angle close to the fence, real horses wouldn't tolerate that and neither do these. Basically, don't run straight from one fence to the next, sometimes you need to angle away to give yourself enough distance to approach straight. So long as you aren't still trying to adjust your approach at the last second the horses will jump over even if your angle is pretty bad. The one problem spot is the cliff side fence. Give yourself plenty of distance to approach so you can angle the horse a little away from the cliff when you jump. It's not the easiest thing to do. If you can't get it, you can try taking on the course "backwards" as approaching the cliff side fence from the other direction is quite a bit easier, though the rest of the course might be a bit more difficult.

Anteo

Does armor upgrade count for the 100%? I'd verify right now but I have no available upgrade.

The 100% you see on the map is just for map discovery which includes: shirines (completed I believe), towers, beasts,, any named area of the map, korok seeds.
It doenst account for quests, items, etc.

Just finished the game last night, took 5 weeks. Did all of the Shrines, collected 555 Korok Seeds, did just about all of the Side Quests (except for a few). The world is just so massive, it'll definitely be weird now when I am not playing it. Spending so long with game, playing on a Wii U, it made picking up an Xbox One controller again feel so strange. It felt so small in my hands when compared to the Game Pad. Playing Halo 5 or Gears of War 4 will be a struggle for a bit while I get used to the Xbox One controller again.

I decided to have a Korok Poop Sunday

I played for about 4 hours, in the first 30 minutes I went for a
3 Apple Tree
Korok Puzzle. Just before I reached the trees it turned night time and enemy bones came out fighting them off I ended up
cutting down one of the trees

3 hours later, save, close app, change date, teleport to other locations, sleep at a campfire for days. And I still cannot get the
Apple Trees to reset with apples on them
:(

this puzzle is the worst type

Charamiwa

Banned
The 100% you see on the map is just for map discovery which includes: shirines (completed I believe), towers, beasts,, any named area of the map, korok seeds.
It doenst account for quests, items, etc.

Damn, I really hate this completion rate method.

I spent nearly 10 hours in Eldin and Lanayru near Zoras Domain looking for seeds and only managed to find just a handful. Where the hell are these seeds.

Spent 20 minutes near
Hyrule Castle Town Ruins
and found like 5-6 already.

3 Apple Tree
Korok Puzzle. Just before I reached the trees it turned night time and enemy bones came out fighting them off I ended up

3 hours later, save, close app, change date, teleport to other locations, sleep at a campfire for days. And I still cannot get the

Presumably you need a blood moon.

DonShula

Keo Ruug is approaching some Fez-level stuff.

I wonder if it's possible to trigger the optional chest gate before the main gate. I have a visual of some poor soul playing random guess, hearing the chime for the optional gate, and then screaming obscenities at the screen when the main gate doesn't open.

LaNaranja

A few off the top of my head

1. Multiple shrines contains 1 of 3 clothing items with special abilities like the climbing set and the barbarian set

2. multiple shrines contain rare elemental weapons

3. There are specific, special horses you can find. At least 3 or 4

4. The 4 great fairy fountains one of them extremely hidden (also the horse fairy fountain)

5. In this game, items are a means to gaining abilities and upgrading your stuff. There are rare items sprinkled around (the dragons, mini bosses, ores, star fragments) that must be found to create rare recipes and upgrade equipment.

6. there is one observatory that is entirely optional and contains rare sheikah equipment

7. There is one sidequest where you literally create an entire town

8. There is another town that is entirely optional and would never be needed for the main quest unless you search in that area.

9. Several mini games are hidden around the world like snowboarding, horse targets, and a gliding mini game

10. Specifically, the Blue Dragon sidequest was pretty awesome

11. The spread out mini bosses are a great addition and hold valuable items (Lynel, the Rock guy, Hinox, Mogdula? )

12. There is a whole hidden store with a different monetary (mon) exchange for rare items, including head sets with abilities and a whole dark link costume set

Some of the "rewards" are traditional Zelda fare, and some of them are a means to a reward based on the new system (cooking, upgrading with found items)

I feel like this was the most detailed post so I will respond to this. I did edit your response to put numbers instead of bullet points to make it easier to respond.

1. Clothing is ace and the best part of the game.
2. Shitty weapons durability means that your cool weapon is going to break after fighting half a dozen people. Whatever cool weapon you have will not last the entirety of a Lynel fight.
3. These are neat too but like you said, there are like three of them.
4. This is close to the "exploration is the reward." I also think that only two of them have associated quests don't they?
5. Finding stuff to upgrade my clothes was a lot of what I did and that was great because it is the only real progression you feel outside of stamina and heart containers.
Champion abilities being on a 10 minute cool down after three uses sucks and I ended up turning them off because they were so limited in use.
Recipes are pointless because the neat fun recipes don't actually do much. The only recipes I ended up using by the end was four apples + radish and five of a kind for things that provided benefits. These will give you a better boost than anything else. Five pieces of gourmet meat will sell for more than whatever fancy recipe you make. So what the hell is the point?
6. The clothes is great but everything else is going to break, which brings me back to the original shitty durability complaint.
7. This one bummed me out because this was literally the last area I explored so completing the quest was just me teleporting to each of the areas and talking to people. It should have been placed closer to the starting area to make it feel more like an ongoing quest.
8. But the towns are just more of the same. You get more side quests where the person gives you an insulting low amount of money for completing it (you can't even afford a massage at Gerudo with what they give you).
9. I personally wouldn't consider the mini games rewards in and of themselves. Some of them do give you cool stuff though like the ones that give you horse clothes.
10. The fight is cool but the reward is literally just an empty shrine.
11. The mini-boss fights are all great but those cool weapons they drop are also fragile as shit and break.
12. That is a store, not really sure how it can be considered a reward. But yes, the clothes is ace.

The only other Zelda game I have touched is Wind Waker which I put down after what felt like five hours because the game was so slow to start and it felt like the game still wasn't anywhere close to getting started. I was able to finish this game so there is absolutely a lot of fun to be had. I glad there is no internal clock because I spent an embarrassing amount of time on this game.

Initially the game reminded me a lot of when I first played Fallout 3. The feeling of being able to do whatever the hell I want was there from the jump is present in both games (unlike New Vegas which funnels you down a very particular path and places high level enemies to prevent you from straying away from the main path). This game is so close to the magic of that game but the paper mache weapons completely kill it for me. A Fallout style weapon repair system would have done wonders to add to my enjoyment of the game. Alternatively, I would have liked to see a Resistance 3 style weapons system whereby there are maybe 12 weapons in the game and they level up as you use them to encourage you to use a variety of weapons. Or hell, maybe having a weapon storage locker would have also been cool, so that I can stock up on all the cool elemental weapons I have. Let me store stuff in that locked shed behind my house.

The in game economy can also use work. Everything sells for peanuts and missions all give you a tiny number of rupees but if you go to the arctic wilderness you can hunt tons of wildlife that all go down with a single arrow and drop three pieces of prime or gourmet meat which when cooked in bundles of five sells for 500 rupees. A half hour of hunting in this wilderness means you never have to worry about money again, otherwise you are struggling to get by.

The cooking also needs to be fixed. Four apples and a radish should not give full health. Full health should be reserved for the more interesting, hard to create recipes like cakes and pies and steak plates. Give me a reason to use those spices and salt and fish.

In terms of other stuff they could have given as rewards for quests, how about more decorations for you house? Let me get a quest where I can win a water bed or Rito bed. Let me earn some seeds that I can use to start a garden or a farm in my backyard with the stuff I want to grow.

There is a undeniably fantastic foundation with this game. A few tweaks would make it something really special.

gardfish

I 100% thought I was going to be done with the game when I completed all the shrines, but hours and hours later I'm still wandering around the world finding Korok Seeds, upgrading my armor, and just plain screwing around.

I hit half the damn Korok Seeds in the game earlier today, and on the one hand I can't believe I found that many, but on the other hand I can't believe I still have half of them left to find.

3 Apple Tree

Yeah it's kind of annoying, I ran across this puzzle type but with cacti instead of trees, and as I'm doing it a fucking
molduga
bursts out and destroys them.

But I would argue that this is where the Romanticizing of previous Zelda games comes in. How much more valuable does it feel to get a heart container then vs now, or bomb bag upgrade vs a weapon stash upgrade. A lot of that, in my opinion, may have to do with nostalgia

I liked finding ice arrows in an optional dungeon in OoT. Or a two-handed sword (that doesn't break). Or a magic spell that incinerates your surroundings. Bombing a wall at Lake Hylia in Lttp and finding the ice rod felt great.

BotW is severely lacking in these moments. You just don't find awesome shit in this game. Armor pieces is the best this game has to offer and it's just not as good. Why can we not find a new glider that reduces stamina consumption somewhere. Or new runes to play around with. They could be useless like the Ice Arrows, who gives a shit finding them would still feel awesome and you'd have a new toy to play with. It's just so demotivating to know that once you've solved this Kass puzzle, a shrine is going to pop up, just like with all the other puzzles and you'll get Spirit Orb number 84. Whatever.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
And I do agree this design sometimes lead to games being linear - you have to go to A to get the item to go to B to get the item to go to C. But it doesn't *have* to be this way. You can have 'semi-linear' design - you can go to A or B and get two different items which can take you to C or D - for example, you migh get the Hookshot at A and the Spinner at B, but both can be used to get you to C in different ways.

you can get everywhere you need without the Zora Armour, but it does let you get to many places in an alternative way and really does expand your capability set. But there's not many such examples.
This and this don't belong together. You can't tout their "open-air" and then put gates for semi-linear experiences. However, it is exactly what plenty of people want in dungeon design. In previous Zelda's you had to get this key for this door for this key item for this boss key for this boss door and use the key item for the boss. In BoTW, you do 5 stuffs and kill the boss (95%) however you want. Both have strengths and weaknesses, but the latter meshes way more with the philosophy of the world outside the dungeons. Don't get me wrong, plenty of open-world games already use the semi-linear structure and Nintendo may very well use it in the next iteration, but I think it'd be a step back if I couldn't get to C without A or B.

Burny

Temporary rewards are still rewards. The game is build around weapons as resource, not things inseparately grown into your character. You can either arragnge with it, by which time getting cool weapons will be useful rewards, temporary or not, or try to move goalposts trying to paint it as not a reward, because they're temporaray. Buh. Huh.

They're still rewards, even if you can't grow overattached to them.

12. That is a store, not really sure how it can be considered a reward. But yes, the clothes is ace.

Since when is finding an optinal place in the world with which to interact not a reward for exploration again? Goes for mini games, goes for nice locations, goes for characters conveying story and background info.

Speely

Banned
The death mountain area... the scale... the atmosphere. There are no words.

Agreed. I felt like I was on another planet when exploring. From the Goron City area, I saw a star fall onto the mountainside itself and tried to get to it... Was an intense journey but ultimately fruitless. I made it close enough to watch the light die across a lake of lava across which unbelievably strong winds were gusting out.

Afrodium

Banned
I'm trying to find the final memory now and this is some bullshit. Can anyone confirm if it's in
Fort Hateno
? I've been wandering around there for awhile now and it feels like the right place but I can't find the memory.

jchap

I'm trying to find the final memory now and this is some bullshit. Can anyone confirm if it's in
Fort Hateno
? I've been wandering around there for awhile now and it feels like the right place but I can't find the memory.

It is further back from the wall

bridegur

I really hope the next Zelda game incorporates different ways to travel the world like in Majora's Mask. I still miss the swimming from that game, and the Goron rolling was great, too.

pringles

I liked finding ice arrows in an optional dungeon in OoT. Or a two-handed sword (that doesn't break). Or a magic spell that incinerates your surroundings. Bombing a wall at Lake Hylia in Lttp and finding the ice rod felt great.

BotW is severely lacking in these moments. You just don't find awesome shit in this game. Armor pieces is the best this game has to offer and it's just not as good. Why can we not find a new glider that reduces stamina consumption somewhere. Or new runes to play around with. They could be useless like the Ice Arrows, who gives a shit finding them would still feel awesome and you'd have a new toy to play with. It's just so demotivating to know that once you've solved this Kass puzzle, a shrine is going to pop up, just like with all the other puzzles and you'll get Spirit Orb number 84. Whatever.
Basically everything in the game is optional which I feel makes your argument fall apart. The rewards for the divine beasts are insanely powerful and totally optional. The Master Sword is easy to miss for a loooooong time and I wouldn't be surprised if some people complete the game without it. Upgrading the runes is easily missable, and upgrading stasis for example gives it entirely new uses. Entire armor sets are well hidden and can give some quite powerful set bonuses. Spirit Orb number 84 may be whatever to you, but I disagree and think it's always a nice reward to get closer to expanding your stamina wheel or adding a heart container. And finding a 100+ damage weapon or a certain special shield are pretty good rewards too, even if they break eventually.

Basically everything in the game is optional which I feel makes your argument fall apart. The rewards for the divine beasts are insanely powerful and totally optional. The Master Sword is easy to miss for a loooooong time and I wouldn't be surprised if some people complete the game without it. Upgrading the runes is easily missable, and upgrading stasis for example gives it entirely new uses. Entire armor sets are well hidden and can give some quite powerful set bonuses. Spirit Orb number 84 may be whatever to you, but I disagree and think it's always a nice reward to get closer to expanding your stamina wheel or adding a heart container. And finding a 100+ damage weapon or a certain special shield are pretty good rewards too, even if they break eventually.

I think the bigger issue I have is the game having some fake-outs. The ones that really stuck in my craw were the fountain ones. Finding a fountain of Power/Wisdom/Courage and them asking you to bring it a scale from a dragon, they really set the stage up for giving you some kind of unique reward, not just another lame Shrine orb -_-

But generally I find the rewards fine. If anything I could imagine wishing for more unique rewards, but that's OK. The amiibo stuff should've been obtainable in-game, though, that was kind of bullshit (Twilight bow, Epona, etc.).

The Goat

I'm on the fence here. I have
Spoiler for posterity... 1 Divine Beast left, 12 heart containers, and a 1 3/4 stamina bar.
My dilema is, do I just finish the game, or do I keep finding Shrines and prolong the game?

I don't want it to end exactly, but man, there are so many games to move on to. BTW, this will be the first Zelda I've ever finished. I've played most of the major ones, but always lost steam 1/2 way through. BotW has held my attention the entire game, and I still want more.

My only regret is that I didn't wait til I got my Switch to play it. I would be more inclined to chip away at things had I the portability of the Switch. A save transfer from Wii U to Switch would be amazing, but yeah, I know, never going to happen.

Actually, and this might sound like a pretty lame thing to discuss, but I think the problem with "rewards" that people are talking about is actually a problem of presentation. I remember one of the things that REALLY stuck out to me in Darksiders 1 was the one menu where you have these Artifacts you find throughout the world. It was so exciting to start seeing some of the Artifacts pop up in that menu and I didn't even know why, until some time after I finished the game I realized why. The game having a menu with dedicated slots devoted to each of those Artifacts made the whole thing feel special, different from most other collectibles some in BOTW, where the game can just go "here's your Korok seed out of fucking 900". And it's actually why I enjoyed trying to fill out the Compendium more in BOTW than other types of collectibles, even shrine orbs, because every single entry in the game has its own slot with its own little tidbit of info. Feels like you're contributing something and seeing your new discovery taking up a slot gives it more heft. That's why I think some of the optional rewards in other Zelda games have felt more weighty in that regard: the Ice Arrow in OoT has its own slot, as does the Biggoron Sword, as do all the Masks in Majora's Mask.

In BOTW there's a limited number of saddles and bridles in the game, as are
divine beast rewards
, medals, etc. I would've actually preferred that they put these in a fancier looking menu with their own empty slots for you to fill in, along with every other key item in the game, similar to how they laid out key/major items in previous Zeldas. Shoving them in your inventory among a sea of other shit doesn't feel like it has the weight and heft. Hell, even do this for random things throughout the world. Have a slot for a reward for finding each Fairy, for instance. There wouldn't be an actual reward, but giving it weight in a UI sort of sense I think contributes a lot. By far my least favorite collectibles in any game are ones where the reward is one of a million of X thing. That's why I can't be bothered to do the Korok seeds. It's all the same thing! Getting one feels like just a drop in the bucket. But I'm fine with them doing multiple tiers of reward. You have your Korok Seeds of which you have hundreds, all the way down to
Divine Beast Powers of which you have four, down to the Master Sword which is literally only one.
The game has all this, I just wish they had done stuff like this for BOTW:

latest

24-masks2.jpg

golden_bugs.jpg

7b9832.jpg

I think these things contribute a lot more to the "feeling" of reward than some might thing. BOTW I feel dropped the ball on that bit.

And if you think about it there's a real-world analogue for this, stuff like quarter collection books or stamp collection books:

Getting your new quarters and putting them into the slots, getting to see which ones you have and which you still have yet to get, seeing the book get slowly filled more and more, that's all far more rewarding than just getting these and shoving them into a Ziploc bag. The way the menus in Breath of the Wild are laid out, it's the equivalent of shoving everything into Ziploc bags.

Drewfonse

I tell ya, I am loving EVERYTHING about this game other than the repeated sequences of coming up to enormous rock faces that are too high to pass, only to try to traverse a different way and end up going everywhere but where you need to. And usually it starts raining when I'm trying to climb. Other than that, fucking magical.

Wagram

Cool to see that Link's
hat is in the game, but in a Dark Link costume.
Neat.
It's animated fine so I don't see why they didn't include it to begin with.

Anteo

I tell ya, I am loving EVERYTHING about this game other than the repeated sequences of coming up to enormous rock faces that are too high to pass, only to try to traverse a different way and end up going everywhere but where you need to. And usually it starts raining when I'm trying to climb. Other than that, fucking magical.

Make some stamina meals and potions?

Top Bottom