• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Majukun

So when's the first DLC land because honestly I'm ready for more. I want new content now!
I wouldn't expect much from the doc.. i would love for zelda to get the witcher treatment and get the amount of a small game in added content, but I don't think Nintendo will go that far.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
agaib, check the map, the name of the place should give away where you need to go... IF I remember is not one of those places that you need to discover first before its name appears on the map either
Oh so she's not in the city?

There is nothing debunked about the rewards being shit in BotW. 95% of every mystery or interesting local ends in a shrine or korok. Sidequests throwing a couple horses and disposable items at you doesn't really offset that and the one or two other exceptions are too little, too late. The fact that a bunch of the rewards have 0 functionality like the
medals, the piece of shit, and the photo
is also completely ridiculous.

I challenge you pick one Zelda game and list off optional rewards it has to offer so that we can debate the merits of your list vs what is offered in BotW.

I would imagine the only game that will come close is Majora's Mask, and even that would be debatable as most of the "rewarding" feeling from Majora's Mask comes from actually doing the sidequests, and not any actual great item you receive at the end.

Pinky

Banned
I tend to find this is the case for pretty much all of them. As long as you aim well to hit them in the "eye" with the bow, you get ample time to wail on them

What's funny is
I never used my bow once during the battle. As soon as the battle began, I ran away to put some space between us. When he approached, I wailed on him with the Master Sword and knocked about 1/3 of his life off. The final phase, where he builds up energy(like a Guardian), I just ran up and delivered a few more slashes before he could attack and BOOM. Dead. :) I wonder if the battle would've been more challenging if I didn't have the MS

Machina

Banned
What's funny is
I never used my bow once during the battle. As soon as the battle began, I ran away to put some space between us. When he approached, I wailed on him with the Master Sword and knocked about 1/3 of his life off. The final phase, where he builds up energy(like a Guardian), I just ran up and delivered a few more slashes before he could attack and BOOM. Dead. :) I wonder if the battle would've been more challenging if I didn't have the MS

If I did have one legit criticism about this game (apart from any shrine featuring motion controls), it's how easy pretty much all the bosses are from the divine beasts to the Overworld. The Lynels are by far the most dangerous enemies in the game and they're classified as normal mob types. I remember one shotting a Stone Talus by hitting its weak spot with a boulder breaker. Bam, gone in one hit. I mean ffs sometimes I've had a harder time with White Bokoblins than I've had with a boss.

Pinky

Banned
If I did have one legit criticism about this game (apart from any shrine featuring motion controls), it's how easy pretty much all the bosses are from the divine beasts to the Overworld. The Lynels are by far the most dangerous enemies in the game and they're classified as normal mob types. I remember one shotting a Stone Talus by hitting its weak spot with a boulder breaker. Bam, gone in one hit. I mean ffs sometimes I've had a harder time with White Bokoblins than I've had with a boss.

I've defeated a couple Stone Talus by firing bomb arrows at their weakspots. Pretty effective in my experience. As for the Lynels, I vow to take one down at some point, but those things intimidate the shit out of me. They're smart as fuck, fast as hell and can sense your presence from far away.

Anteo

I've defeated a couple Stone Talus by firing bomb arrows at their weakspots. Pretty effective in my experience. As for the Lynels, I vow to take one down at some point, but those things intimidate the shit out of me. They're smart as fuck, fast as hell and can sense your presence from far away.

If you walk near them they will look at you and slowly follow you for a bit, but will only attack if you get too close to them or draw your weapon. So dont be too afraid of them

Rewards could be better, though generally I've found them ok.

The one egregious example would be one Major Test of Strength where the chest near the altar gave a
13 Soldiers Halberd (no perks iirc)
. I get that the
Guardian's weapons
are part of the reward as well, but that's still laughable when every enemy I encounter is generally
black tier
with
silvers sprinkled in.

It's just a disappointing end note to an involved encounter.

Ogodei

I feel like this experience is true to early Zelda, where Lynels consistently fucked me up but bosses were always "vigorous but manageable" or were one-hit wonders like Digdogger.

Pinky

Banned
If you walk near them they will look at you and slowly follow you for a bit, but will only attack if you get too close to them or draw your weapon. So dont be too afraid of them

Oh yeah, I know that much. That's what makes them so smart. They react according to your actions. I got up really close to one and observed him as he observed me. It was tense as fuck. I started to slowly back away, with no weapons drawn, but something irked him and he drew his bow and started to approach me. I said "Fuck this!", pulled up my map and transported halfway across Hyrule. Not today, Pinky. Not today.

Rewards could be better, though generally I've found them ok.

The one egregious example would be one Major Test of Strength where the chest near the altar gave a
13 Soldiers Halberd (no perks iirc)
. I get that the
Guardian's weapons
are part of the reward as well, but that's still laughable when every enemy I encounter is generally
black tier
with
silvers sprinkled in.

It's just a disappointing end note to an involved encounter.

Well you also get the orb and a new teleporting destination point, but my argument is that a lot of people who dislike the game are romanticizing previous Zelda games in terms of what they actually received for exploring and discovering new areas. Sometimes you got something unique, but usually you got rupees or a quarter heart piece. I would argue that BotW offers more unique items than nearly any other Zelda, but that the world is so big you also have a multiplication of the "heart piece" type of rewards as it pertains to shrines.

Mega

Banned
About the horse hurdle game... I had similar issues until I realized that you aren't supposed to boost as you are about to jump, otherwise the horse will stop when it gets to the hurdle if you boost too late.

The guy even warns you to not "simply boost and hope for the best"

There were times when I feel like I boosted with time to spare and it still stopped at the hurdle. And the auto turn crap still happened.

No, you don't. The first items you receive in the main questline are the four runes The camera and rune upgrades are completely optional.

Well great, we have now established that the entirety of BotW is optional, why even talk about rewarding sidequests then.

On one hand you argue against shrines as the main thing they offer is spheres to get stamina and heart containers, and then here you are arguing that BotW mini games should reward you with something meaningful like heart containers... lol...
I don't follow. A heart container is just a random example for something that is not rupees which is what you get for every minigame. Yes, I think a heart-container is more of a meaningful reward than rupees, because for once, you're not getting just rupees. No I don't think having 120 shrines that offer 120 heart pieces makes for a good foundation for exploration. Is this so hard to get.
As I took the time to point out in my previous post, many of the sidequests lead to equipment, suits, horses, upgrades, etc. What you are saying here is factually incorrect and dishonest.
There are like, three sidequests that reward you with equipment. Same with horses. How many sidequest are in this game? How many of them reward you with rupees and food and other useless shit? The vast, vast, majority. But sure, many of them lead to equipment and horses and upgrades. If you stretch the meaning of many. Talk about dishonesty.
And yet again here is a contradiction. Here you are arguing that "ammo and resources" are not great rewards, yet previously you argue about the merits of a bomb bag upgrade, lol.
Do you not see the difference between upgrading your carry capacity permanently and picking up 5 bombs or something.
So here is the path you have taken with your argument.
"All BotW offers is shrines and korok seeds"
to
"All BotW offers is rupees"
to
"All BotW offers is resources and equipment"
to
"All BotW offers is armor and clothing"

with a little "yea horses ok" sprinkled in lol. Come on dude.
All BotW offers in terms of lasting rewards is shrines and Korok seeds (and armor which you find in shrines and buy the rest). This is shit, because you're only reward worth a damn is the exact same thing every time. The rest is resource gathering fluff. So when someone is like, "man why do people think the rewards for sidequests in BotW are shit! Except for Majora's Mask it's the exact same thing!", I think back on all the sidequests I did in BotW. The weapon showing for 50 rupees. The photograph showing for 100 rupees, the ingredient collecting for a soup, the 55 rushrooms for a diamond, the paragliding for rupees, the bowling for rupees, the surfing for rupees. And here you are telling me, that among this unrelenting deluge of garbage sidequests, there are a couple where you get a white horse and a rubber helm. And so this game, which consists of 90% open world diarrhea, provides a comparable experience to a tight action-adventure. Uh-huh.

Dekutulla

So if I've lost
the Ceremonial Trident
, and I don't have a photo of it, is there any decent way to find it or is it basically gone forever?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Going crazy on this '8th heroine' side quest. Found the sword but can't find anything nearby that fits the description

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
beat this.

what a fabulous experience. i feel as though i've just emerged from an awe inspiring cave and remembered the real world exists. the game just consumed my life and attention. it will be years before i feel that way again.

Well great, we have now established that the entirety of BotW is optional, why even talk about rewarding sidequests then.

I don't follow. A heart container is just a random example for something that is not rupees which is what you get for every minigame. Yes, I think a heart-container is more of a meaningful reward than rupees, because for once, you're not getting just rupees. No I don't think having 120 shrines that offer 120 heart pieces makes for a good foundation for exploration. Is this so hard to get.

There are like, three sidequests that reward you with equipment. Same with horses. How many sidequest are in this game? How many of them reward you with rupees and food and other useless shit? The vast, vast, majority. But sure, many of them lead to equipment and horses and upgrades. If you stretch the meaning of many. Talk about dishonesty.

Do you not see the difference between upgrading your carry capacity permanently and picking up 5 bombs or something.

All BotW offers in terms of lasting rewards is shrines and Korok seeds (and armor which you find in shrines and buy the rest). This is shit, because you're only reward worth a damn is the exact same thing every time. The rest is resource gathering fluff. So when someone is like, "man why do people think the rewards for sidequests in BotW are shit! Except for Majora's Mask it's the exact same thing!", I think back on all the sidequests I did in BotW. The weapon showing for 50 rupees. The photograph showing for 100 rupees, the ingredient collecting for a soup, the 55 rushrooms for a diamond, the paragliding for rupees, the bowling for rupees, the surfing for rupees. And here you are telling me, that among this unrelenting deluge of garbage sidequests, there are a couple where you get a white horse and a rubber helm. And so this game, which consists of 90% open world diarrhea, provides a comparable experience to a tight action-adventure. Uh-huh.

I can't argue with you if you can't even form a coherent argument with consistent points. You are all over the place, and you keep spouting out incorrect information (Like I can think of 8 or 9 optional quests off the top of my head that involves equipment and I don't even have everything so there could be more). But I think your last sentence confirms my previous post about you preferring a linear game but you are articulating it incorrectly in the form of this nonsense "rewards" argument.

Vitet

I really loved the hidden shrine located in
an underground freezing waterway
, especially that you can leave it simply by
pushing a log into the water and riding it out safely

By any chance, what level cold resistance do you need to avoid
damage in those waters, as the rito gear was useless
?

You can't avoid damage in cold waters by any mean. No clothing and no elixir can help you. It's stated like this in a loading screen tip.

En-ou

What great exploration rewards are you guys constantly stumbling upon, if I may ask?

You know when you see some kind of environmental puzzle or you start climbing a tall mountain and you think "I wonder what this will lead me to?".

Oh right, that doesn't happen, because you know it's going to be a shrine and Korok seed.
Do you expect a reward after you get to eat a cheese cake? #youdontgetit

Well you also get the orb and a new teleporting destination point, but my argument is that a lot of people who dislike the game are romanticizing previous Zelda games in terms of what they actually received for exploring and discovering new areas. Sometimes you got something unique, but usually you got rupees or a quarter heart piece. I would argue that BotW offers more unique items than nearly any other Zelda, but that the world is so big you also have a multiplication of the "heart piece" type of rewards as it pertains to shrines.

I can agree that past Zelda games weren't exactly generous with the rewards and progression opportunities, but when how undercut the unique content is by the fragility system [that I have little issue with outside of a few particular ones] I tend to find the rewards like I had cited a bit underwhelming in the context of the game itself, rather than in comparison to past entries in the franchise.

I haven't been in this thread much to keep things as surprising as possible, but I think most are approaching it from that place as well. Those who are focused on past Zeldas I could argue view it that in the context and design of those specific entries, those rewards were major and fit the achievement of the progression.

BOTW is such a different and larger beast however that of course in direct comparison those rewards are meaningless, particularly how trivial BOTW makes them within it.

Again though, overall I think the rewards are fitting with how the game is designed outside of that notable exception.

Machina

Banned
I can't argue with you if you can't even form a coherent argument with consistent points. You are all over the place, and you keep spouting out incorrect information (Like I can think of 8 or 9 optional quests off the top of my head that involves equipment and I don't even have everything so there could be more). But I think your last sentence confirms my previous post about you preferring a linear game but you are articulating it incorrectly in the form of this nonsense "rewards" argument.

He's coming across as if he needs near constant gratification to stay engaged.

ColdPizza

Banned
All of this reward and side quest stuff would be solved if Ninetendo just implemented trophies or achievements. I know I'd like them to measure my progress.

You can't avoid damage in cold waters by any mean. No clothing and no elixir can help you. It's stated like this in a loading screen tip.

I have a ton of hours into this game (each unknown; is this info found in parental control app?), and it's crazy that this hasn't appeared yet. I think the other day I had another new one detailing something about a certain sword's
ranged
attack if I read it correctly

I'll admit, BotW is one of the first instances where an achievement system is sorely missed.

I sort of feel the opposite. All of it feels so natural that I don't want something trying to establish goals in that manner.

Even if a huge chunk is shrines - and getting to shrines in the first place can be an adventure in itself - I find them far more fun and diverse than the bomb pouches or arrow quivers I got in every Zelda game ever. And that's without the armor, weapons, Watcher cores, juwels and heart and stamina upgrades taken into account. Same with the Korok seeds. You do different things to get them and the reward, bigger inventory space, is actually useful in a game that showers you with weapons, bows and shields. Whereas I often felt I didn't really needed the rupees or pouches of previous Zeldas.

Regginator

I have a ton of hours into this game (each unknown; is this info found in parental control app?), and it's crazy that this hasn't appeared yet. I think the other day I had another new one detailing something about a certain sword's
ranged
attack if I read it correctly

I sort of feel the opposite. All of it feels so natural that I don't want something trying to establish goals in that manner.

Isn't that
ranged
sword an Amiibo reward? I don't think it's in the base game.

MrHoot

Most rewards were heart containers (or fragments of those), bottles and that's it. Majora treated it differently with the masks.
I don't get this complaint either. Personally just discovering the areas is rewarding enough for me! I had a awesome time yesterday by attacking akkala fortress to climb its tower.

For me it's not about "previous zelda" but just in general as the game in itself.

In the beginning, finding new stuff is special as you always need something (and you quickly run out) to get out of sticky situations. Finding a good quality sword felt like a boon when you were running low on good items and out of arrows. The early hours of the game are the best for that.

But then the difficulty flatlines completely, and while the game keeps showering you with good items it just stops being special as they either a) break as fast as everything else or b) you already got a shitload of stuff already.

A few examples for me when I find rewards getting lesser and lesser important, the biggest being
the weapons you get after the divine beast missions
.They're only slightly more durable than your average weapon. Yes, you can repair them, but the conditions for that are a pain in the ass, and you get equal if not better stuff along the way. It's a bummer What should be an "oh cool !" reaction just changed into an "ah fuck, i can't use those". They ended up on my gear display in my house and I never touched them.

And that's a bit of the same thing for the stuff you can get in hyrule castle. There are amazing weapons in there that you'll usually end up getting at the end game, but they're not more durable than most and at that point the pleasure of finding new stuff is gone completely (after all, the mastersword does a great job in itself, and if you have ancient arrows, who cares if you have a better bow. And you're probably stacked with good weapons for regular enemies at that point).

Similar with sidequests where the story is already poor, but apart for when they reward you with neat stuff like armor, rewards in rupees just feel hollow after a while. You can get so much more just by selling stones and whatnot if you need it for a much higher value.

For me I'd say I link a lot of this to just the difficulty not being there at all in the second half of the game.

maxcriden

I wouldn't expect much from the doc.. i would love for zelda to get the witcher treatment and get the amount of a small game in added content, but I don't think Nintendo will go that far.

I don't expect a different setting necessarily, but we know there will be a new story and dungeon at the least, as part of DLC Pack 2.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
beat this.

what a fabulous experience. i feel as though i've just emerged from an awe inspiring cave and remembered the real world exists. the game just consumed my life and attention. it will be years before i feel that way again.

Yeah my March got completely sucked up by this game. I'm still in the process of returning to a semi-normal life.

scoobs

The weather system in this freaking game... it's rained 4 times in the last half hour in this dumb zone and I can't complete a quest because of it. God damn this is annoying.

Well after 180 hours i finally thought sod it I'll go face ganon, wow

Now afterwards went back to the game and I'm at riverside side stable and decide i should probably take my poor neglected horse slowy out for a ride, he's been stuck in a stable for at least 3 weeks so i get him out and decide to go on a ride to woodland stable, imagine my shock to discover along the way
another stable i hadnt yet found, wetland stable

Machina

Banned
The weather system in this freaking game... it's rained 4 times in the last half hour in this dumb zone and I can't complete a quest because of it. God damn this is annoying.

The wet climbing issue I think is one mechanic the game could've been perfectly fine without. I know Nintendo were going for realism but I don't think people would have even taken note of it

Regginator

No, it's about the
Master Sword ranged attack

It has a ranged attack?? How? Earlier games that had it usually required full health, but I've never seen anything remotely ranged, so I assume the pre-requirements are different in BOTW?

I can agree that past Zelda games weren't exactly generous with the rewards and progression opportunities, but when how undercut the unique content is by the fragility system [that I have little issue with outside of a few particular ones] I tend to find the rewards like I had cited a bit underwhelming in the context of the game itself, rather than in comparison to past entries in the franchise.

I haven't been in this thread much to keep things as surprising as possible, but I think most are approaching it from that place as well. Those who are focused on past Zeldas I could argue view it that in the context and design of those specific entries, those rewards were major and fit the achievement of the progression.

BOTW is such a different and larger beast however that of course in direct comparison those rewards are meaningless, particularly how trivial BOTW makes them within it.

Again though, overall I think the rewards are fitting with how the game is designed outside of that notable exception.

But I would argue that this is where the Romanticizing of previous Zelda games comes in. How much more valuable does it feel to get a heart container then vs now, or bomb bag upgrade vs a weapon stash upgrade. A lot of that, in my opinion, may have to do with nostalgia

Boem

It has a ranged attack?? How? Earlier games that had it usually required full health, but I've never seen anything remotely ranged, so I assume the pre-requirements are different in BOTW?

I believe you need to
throw it when it's fully powered

Burny

And so this game, which consists of 90% open world diarrhea, provides a comparable experience to a tight action-adventure. Uh-huh.

And there we go: You don't like open world games. It's really not necessary to justify it, because it's fine. Tastes gonna teastes and there's really no need to make up bullshit arguments to justify how open world is inferior to "tight action adventure". While we're throwing mud though: BotW may be "open word diarrhea" to you, so why not go back, play two decades worth of previous console Zelda games? "Tight action adventure" aka:

hamleys-wooden-shape-puzzle-78261-0-1413807520000.jpg

Caelus

Ah, that... actually makes sense. I was expecting
laser beams like some of the 2D games
(ALBW for example).

It does
shoot beams at full health, greater range the more hearts you have,
greater power based on how upgraded the Tunic of the Wild is

Haunted

beat this.

👌

It's something truly special, no doubt.

atr0cious

The wet climbing issue I think is one mechanic the game could've been perfectly fine without. I know Nintendo were going for realism but I don't think people would have even taken note of it
I've never had any issues with climbing in the rain. The game asks you to observe where and when you climb, look for overhangs and shorter climbing distances, because the places programmed to rain are designed specifically to be navigated while it does rain. If it seems "impossible" find a dry spot and pass the time with a fire.

Top Bottom