• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Red

The more I play, the more I am okay with the rain. I think more could be done with it, but I appreciate lightning prompting metal equipment switch outs. It contributes to the scrappy, improvised feel. It relieves monotony and forces players to adapt on the fly. I wish there were more variables like it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
For the
master sword
do I need to have
13 red hearts
or can it be a mixture of
yellow + red hearts
?

Gotta be red.

The more I play, the more I am okay with the rain. I think more could be done with it, but I appreciate lightning prompting metal equipment switch outs. It contributes to the scrappy, improvised feel. It relieves monotony and forces players to adapt on the fly. I wish there were more variables like it.

I feel like sandstorms, blizzards, and fog could have been pretty cool to deal with. I mean, we did have some sandstorms but they were fairly basic.

ColdPizza

Banned

Farming Nadyra has led me to think a set of armor to solely control weather for clear conditions would be a-okay with me.

Overall, I'm fine with weather but they should make it change less frequently than they do.

Red

Farming Nadyra has led me to think a set of armor to solely control weather for clear conditions would be a-okay with me.

Overall, I'm fine with weather but they should make it change less frequently than they do.
I would be okay with less frequent changes, though what I really want is more variation. If climbing were affected proportionately to the intensity of rain I think it would be a little more palatable for folks.
I want more 'official' mounts like Loftwings.

I wish that they added a level of heat and cold (beneath the current one) and put in some temperature fluctuation so like on a hot day you had to take you shirt or pants off and on a cold day you couldn't handle metal weapons without having some level of cold protection without taking damage.
Gotta be red.

I feel like sandstorms, blizzards, and fog could have been pretty cool to deal with. I mean, we did have some sandstorms but they were fairly basic.
Yep, that's the kind of thing I wish for. More weather states and more effects for current weather. I can imagine a misty environment that could be made clearer with korok leaves, or a sandstorm that requires Link to hold his shield up to avoid damage.

GoldStarz

I think it should be less about frequency and more about buffering. Like you don't just go from a sunny day to rain and I think the weather system should reflect that.

I wish that they added a level of heat and cold (beneath the current one) and put in some temperature fluctuation so like on a hot day you had to take you shirt or pants off and on a cold day you couldn't handle metal weapons without having some level of cold protection without taking damage.

Futureman

Less frequent weather changes would mean longer rain storms resulting in more complaints I think. I've never had to wait more than say three minutes for rain to stop.

I've been thinking that it would be cool if shooting a lightning arrow up into the sky whilst it's raining could kick-start a lightning storm.

Kyuur

I think it should be less about frequency and more about buffering. Like you don't just go from a sunny day to rain and I think the weather system should reflect that.

I dunno about where you live, but sudden weather systems are most certainly a thing in real life.

I feel like this was the most detailed post so I will respond to this. I did edit your response to put numbers instead of bullet points to make it easier to respond.

1. Clothing is ace and the best part of the game.
2. Shitty weapons durability means that your cool weapon is going to break after fighting half a dozen people. Whatever cool weapon you have will not last the entirety of a Lynel fight.
3. These are neat too but like you said, there are like three of them.
4. This is close to the "exploration is the reward." I also think that only two of them have associated quests don't they?
5. Finding stuff to upgrade my clothes was a lot of what I did and that was great because it is the only real progression you feel outside of stamina and heart containers.
Champion abilities being on a 10 minute cool down after three uses sucks and I ended up turning them off because they were so limited in use.
Recipes are pointless because the neat fun recipes don't actually do much. The only recipes I ended up using by the end was four apples + radish and five of a kind for things that provided benefits. These will give you a better boost than anything else. Five pieces of gourmet meat will sell for more than whatever fancy recipe you make. So what the hell is the point?
6. The clothes is great but everything else is going to break, which brings me back to the original shitty durability complaint.
7. This one bummed me out because this was literally the last area I explored so completing the quest was just me teleporting to each of the areas and talking to people. It should have been placed closer to the starting area to make it feel more like an ongoing quest.
8. But the towns are just more of the same. You get more side quests where the person gives you an insulting low amount of money for completing it (you can't even afford a massage at Gerudo with what they give you).
9. I personally wouldn't consider the mini games rewards in and of themselves. Some of them do give you cool stuff though like the ones that give you horse clothes.
10. The fight is cool but the reward is literally just an empty shrine.
11. The mini-boss fights are all great but those cool weapons they drop are also fragile as shit and break.
12. That is a store, not really sure how it can be considered a reward. But yes, the clothes is ace.

2. I don't think just because a reward is finite doesn't mean it can't be a good reward. If you are smart, they practically last forever. The elemental weapons are great if you use them in combination with regular weapons, for example, and the original 3 I have have yet to break (as an example, I usually use the ice blade to freeze the enemy, quickly switch to the thunderblade for bonus damage, and finish them off with a regular sword.)

3. I don't understand your argument. Are you arguing that there are too little or too many?

4.They offer tangible awards. It now sounds like you are trying to be nitpicky to discredit some of the bonuses this game offers for exploration.

7. That may have been just bad luck because the game nudges you to that town very early in the game.

8. Sometimes you get money, sometimes you get clothes/equipment, and sometimes you get a shrine. I would challenge you to show me how any other Zelda game is vastly different.

10. The reward is a shrine, and a beefed up elemental weapon, and also leads to the items you need to upgrade the champion tunic

12. You have to find the guy at a certain spot on the map before his shop starts to appear around the towns, to my knowledge.

I liked finding ice arrows in an optional dungeon in OoT. Or a two-handed sword (that doesn't break). Or a magic spell that incinerates your surroundings. Bombing a wall at Lake Hylia in Lttp and finding the ice rod felt great.

BotW is severely lacking in these moments. You just don't find awesome shit in this game. Armor pieces is the best this game has to offer and it's just not as good. Why can we not find a new glider that reduces stamina consumption somewhere. Or new runes to play around with. They could be useless like the Ice Arrows, who gives a shit finding them would still feel awesome and you'd have a new toy to play with. It's just so demotivating to know that once you've solved this Kass puzzle, a shrine is going to pop up, just like with all the other puzzles and you'll get Spirit Orb number 84. Whatever.

See, this straight sounds like childhood nostalgia clouding reason. "I know the ice arrows were useless, but it felt rewarding".

And you keep going back to the shrines, but I've listed a wealth of other items and rewards independent of the shrines and the korok seeds so don't know what else I can tell you. You keep going back to the shrines while ignoring the rest.

atr0cious

And you keep going back to the shrines, but I've listed a wealth of other items and rewards independent of the shrines and the korok seeds so don't know what else I can tell you. You keep going back to the shrines while ignoring the rest.
The best part is the glossing over the quality of the shrines like they don't have the best puzzles ever put in a Zelda game. Some folks just love staring at identical hallways and pushing blocks I guess.

jariw

They sort of do that, in that it's colder in the shadow. Which is more predictable behavior for the people playing without a HUD.

Well I mean a weather pattern typically only lasts a few min. That's ridiculous to me.

A weather pattern lasts in 4 game hours, which is 4 real-life minutes, since a full day cycle plays in 24 minutes.

Boss Man

What are the non-food materials for and how do I use them? Like bolts, amber, etc that turn into nasty rocks if you cook them.

The best part is the glossing over the quality of the shrines like they don't have the best puzzles ever put in a Zelda game. Some folks just love staring at identical hallways and pushing blocks I guess.

It just seems pretty clear to me. Like the guy brought up the ice arrows. I remember being a kid and getting those ice arrows and being amazed. Turns out the arrows were worthless but as a kid I didn't care I thought it was awesome. I thought getting a wallet upgrade after so many gold skullatas was so awesome.

Getting older and by Skyward Sword, I didn't give a shit about the newest version of an old item, or a slight magic boost, or a new dungeon item I knew I was going to use for the dungeon a few remote times elsewhere.I saw those for what they were, but those memories as a kid being amazed will always trump me being objective, and I see that as the core issue here. Some people can't seperate the nostalgic memories and are being a little ignorant to what "rewards" previous Zelda games actually offered. It's why we have people jumping through hoops to try and explain how a bomb bag upgrade FEELS more meaningful than the upgrades in BotW.

jariw

2. Shitty weapons durability means that your cool weapon is going to break after fighting half a dozen people. Whatever cool weapon you have will not last the entirety of a Lynel fight.

Weapons is a resource. If a cool weapon breaks, farm a new one, if that cool weapon is very important to you. If you don't know where to find this cool weapon that you must have, wait until the next blood moon, when it will respawn at its original place. Or use the Shieka Sensor+. A visit to Hyrule castle after a blood moon will refill a maxed-out weapon stash with good weapons. The player is basically flooded with weapons.

Weapon breaks, just as potions/food ability don't last forever, or that those cool gems that you found will be gone after the fairies are done with their upgrades.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I have become a guardian slayer after my many hours of playing and especially after getting the mater sword and then learning that the guardians are effected by the MS, the sense of progression is real right now

It just seems pretty clear to me. Like the guy brought up the ice arrows. I remember being a kid and getting those ice arrows and being amazed. Turns out the arrows were worthless but as a kid I didn't care I thought it was awesome. I thought getting a wallet upgrade after so many gold skullatas was so awesome.

Getting older and by Skyward Sword, I didn't give a shit about the newest version of an old item, or a slight magic boost, or a new dungeon item I knew I was going to use for the dungeon a few remote times elsewhere.I saw those for what they were, but those memories as a kid being amazed will always trump me being objective, and I see that as the core issue here. Some people can't seperate the nostalgic memories and are being a little ignorant to what "rewards" previous Zelda games actually offered. It's why we have people jumping through hoops to try and explain how a bomb bag upgrade FEELS more meaningful than the upgrades in BotW.

The nostalgia BotW is going to create for young kids playing the game today will be insane. If I played this game at, say, 5 years of age, it'd stick with me forever.

DonShula

The nostalgia BotW is going to create for young kids playing the game today will be insane. If I played this game at, say, 5 years of age, it'd stick with me forever.

My 9 year old nephew (formerly obsessed with Minecraft) speaks of BOTW with the amazement and wonder I associate with the games of my youth. The size and scope of the game lend to that kind of reputation. There are so many things to see and do that watching them all on YouTube simply isn't possible.

For young minds this game is everything that the original Zelda was to me, and then some.

Wagram

So i'm going to rant a little on the
Ceremonial
shrine quest for being vague as all hell.
I spend an hour throwing "scales of light" aka Naydra scales off of a waterfall trying to open up the shrine, I try using the lightscale trident and smashing onto the shrine. Nope. You need a fake trident that is found under a bridge via an NPC that has nothing to do with the quest.

Like what?

Ceremonial
I spend an hour throwing "scales of light" aka Naydra scales off of a waterfall trying to open up the shrine, I try using the lightscale trident and smashing onto the shrine. Nope. You need a fake trident that is found under a bridge via an NPC that has nothing to do with the quest.

Like what?

I didn't think it was vague at all.

The Zora girl who first tells you about the song points you to the Zora elder who tells you about the trident he lost. I'm pretty sure he talks about the trident being used in the ceremony. Even the quest log tells you to find the trident and recreate the song.

Genocyber

A weather pattern lasts in 4 game hours, which is 4 real-life minutes, since a full day cycle plays in 24 minutes.

Had to wait almost a whole day to trigger an event as the position of the sun needed to be just right.

That might be why I have spent so many hours playing the game.

Just beat the game. I stormed Hyrule Castle wearing
The Tunic of the Wild,
Ganon must have been upset seeing that little green bastard run up once again.

Ceremonial

Like what?

I used the lightscale trident, I didn't need the fake one and never found it.

Are Stealthfin Trout only in the lake around The Lost Woods? I can't find enough of them.
I took a picture of one and set it as the target of the sensor + and went around the entire ring around lost woods and found exactly 30 of them. Maybe just leave and come back. They apparently glow in the dark too.

Ceremonial

Like what?
Pretty sure the original works. I didn't find the fake one til weeks later.

Wensih

Well I got to the end! 48 hours, 90 shrines, and 80 korok seeds later, it took only one minute to get to the Ganon fight from the castle entrance.... it's not much of a dungeon.

Whales

Banned
Well I got to the end! 48 hours, 90 shrines, and 80 korok seeds later, it took only one minute to get to the Ganon fight from the castle entrance.... it's not much of a dungeon.

you rushed thru it on purpose?

not really a dungeon considering you can rush it, but on the inside it's really neat and has a lot of secrets

That's because you can either explore or head straight to the boss. This entire game is about freedom. There is quite a lot to Hyrule Castle.

Mistle

Hyrule Castle is sprawling. Though considering you finished the game at 48hrs and 80 seeds says you have a pretty quick and direct playstyle. The game allows that so it's not wrong per se. But I'd have recommended slowing down and exploring, there's so much to do and see.

You absolutely do go from sunny days to rain, at least here in Madrid. Sometimes we go from pleasantly sunny to snow (and snow is rare here). Admittedly Madrid's weather is a little crazy.

Well I mean a weather pattern typically only lasts a few min. That's ridiculous to me.

But those minutes are in-game hours; compounding the issue, weather is different in different areas so you can literally walk (or glide) into a storm. The game is compressed in both time and space, so it makes sense that weather patterns are also compressed.

gardfish

That's like rushing straight to the castle and fighting Ganon after getting off the Great Plateau and saying that this game's Hyrule isn't much of a game world :p

Wensih

I didn't mean to rush to ganon. I saw a waterfall and followed it up and found a chain of waterfalls that led straight to the throne room.

The Tunic of the Wild,

That's awesome. How did you get that tunic?

I'm ready to beat the game. Done many shrines, collected many korok seeds that I wasn't even trying to find, completed the 4 beasts, picked up THE sword. I was about to march to the Hyrule Castle but then Impa gave me
one more memory to find
and I have no idea where. Also I realized Links Blue tunic from his memories. How do I get that?

Wensih

Hyrule Castle is sprawling. Though considering you finished the game at 48hrs and 80 seeds says you have a pretty quick and direct playstyle. The game allows that so it's not wrong per se. But I'd have recommended slowing down and exploring, there's so much to do and see.

I probably could have gotten more korok seeds, but I found them irrelevant and more of a hassle to grab than they were worth. I got tired of stopping at every hill while trying to glide to do a redundant puzzle or lift a rock and pick up a seed.

Which came to be my problem with the game and the reason why I ended up finishing it tonight. I could only wander aimlessly for so long before becoming bored, and after shrines became sparse I was not accomplishing anything during my sessions (I also found shrine challenges to be menial tasks, outside of the environmental shrines, so I only found joy in unlocking the shrine as a warppoint).

So I unlocked all parts of the map, found all memories, did all the dungeons, and got 75% of the shrines in 48 hours. I think I had explored quite a bit and felt exhausted by the end (I almost didn't even bother to finish as the prior dungeons weren't very engaging).

It was a wonderful collect-a-thon game, but I wish it had some guidance and tell the player how much more there was to collect in specific regions.

See, this straight sounds like childhood nostalgia clouding reason. "I know the ice arrows were useless, but it felt rewarding".

I mean, BotW wishes it had something like the Gerudo Training grounds with a reward like the Ice Arrows. Fire Arrows were also optional and pretty useful btw.

And I keep going back to shrines just like you keep pretending that sidequests in this game are worth a damn.

LordofPwn

The Tunic of the Wild,
Nice! I did the exact same thing. Really want to upgrade it but I'll wait till DLC comes out to jump back in.

Ceremonial
Like what?
the first thing I tried was launching up the waterfall and diving on it with the ceremonial trident but i "died" and must not have hit it close enough to the center because it didn't activate. So I then spent 45 min trying to figure it out with no success. Then caved and looked online to see if I was missing a step. Was angry that the first time it didn't work. Had a similar issue where I overthought a different shrine and my "fuck it, last ditch" attempt worked.

Kaban

Accidentally stumbled across two memories yesterday. One in particular I was
in Hyrule field, as I was being chased by two Yiga clan swordsmen. I ran towards the flickering light thinking it was a Korok puzzle, and ended up triggering the cutscene. Was sort of funny... as Link is standing there trying to remember, one of the Yiga swordsmen was just lurking right behind him, frozen.

Also, regarding a certain Shrine Quest in the Northern area...
anyone struggling with the Korok stealth trial as much as I am? I'm wearing all my stealth gear and drinking stealth potions and that little fucker still manages to spot me. Had to restart twice, and have yet to complete it. Really frustrating.

jariw

I took a picture of one and set it as the target of the sensor + and went around the entire ring around lost woods and found exactly 30 of them. Maybe just leave and come back. They apparently glow in the dark too.

Yes, they are easiest to spot at night time. And they often appear pretty far from the shore, so ice pillars and bait can be used.

I ran on the southern shore back and forth, since they respawn at (seemingly) random places.

Had to wait almost a whole day to trigger an event as the position of the sun needed to be just right.

That might be why I have spent so many hours playing the game.

And there was no place where you could set a campfire?

I mean, BotW wishes it had something like the Gerudo Training grounds with a reward like the Ice Arrows. Fire Arrows were also optional and pretty useful btw.

And I keep going back to shrines just like you keep pretending that sidequests in this game are worth a damn.

lol I don't know what to tell you man. You've been presented with factual information that refutes what you said. No point in debating with you if you are going to deny facts Trump style, so we will just leave it there.

Top Bottom