• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

DLaicH

A buddy of mine is still early in the game, and he's been ignoring the main Kakariko quest ever since he got off the plateau, but he actually got to Zora's Domain last night. He managed to cheese his way up the mountains in the pouring rain, saw the source of the rain, encountered the
lynel
on the mountaintop above ZD, and paraglided from there into ZD.

The game definitely wasn't expecting him to do that, because ZD was completely devoid of life when he first landed. The zoras suddenly appeared when he left the city and came back via the big bridge. Needless to say, he was REALLY confused when the zoras started talking to him about the events of the past lol

I really wonder how his game will handle visiting Kakariko for the first time AFTER visiting Zora's Domain, especially if he somehow manages to complete V
ah
R
uta
before even talking to Impa.

A buddy of mine is still early in the game, and he's been ignoring the main Kakariko quest ever since he got off the plateau, but he actually got to Zora's Domain last night. He managed to cheese his way up the mountains in the pouring rain, saw the source of the rain, encountered the
lynel

The game definitely wasn't expecting him to do that, because ZD was completely devoid of life when he first landed. The zoras suddenly appeared when he left the city and came back via the big bridge. Needless to say, he was REALLY confused when the zoras started talking to him about the events of the past lol

I really wonder how his game will handle visiting Kakariko for the first time AFTER visiting Zora's Domain, especially if he somehow manages to complete V
ah
R
uta

There could be programmed dialogue for those quests like a lot of other stuff. I ran into this with
Eventide Island
. I had already done the island, and then I found that seaside village where people told me about it. I had a dialogue option that said "I've been there". This has happened a few times for me. It could be the same for Kakariko quests.

You can always just use the scanner for treasure chests.

Holy shit I never thought of this.

kunonabi

You should probably reevaluate how you spend your time. Your post about the game has been mostly negativity, and now you spend 349 hours in about a month on an experience you don't enjoy?

It's a reaction to how many Wii and dreamcast games I beat without really delving into the side stuff as much as I liked. Ive made it a point to 100% every major Wii u game so that I want have a third console suffering from missed opportunities. In the beginning wii u games really benefitted from the approach so it seemed like a worthwhile endeavor until recently. The last few hundred hours of xenoblade x was probably worse than botw so it didn't seem worth quitting on botw even though I didnt like botw nearly as much. At least the remaining Wii u games I need to work on seem to be more fun to 100% tropical freeze will probably drive me up the wall but at least it's actually skill based.

Sh0k

I have a question regarding the shrines, finished the game last week with 115 shrines, under the shrine quest log I had 68 out 72 done. The other day playing the game I found one extra shrine in the map that triggered the sensor, activated the shrine and now I have 116 found. Yesterday I triggered one shrine quest but it is for a shrine that I already did, the quest changed to complete immediately, my shrine quest counter is now 69 out of 72 but my shrine found total still the same at 116. That means that I still have some shrines left around the map?

DLaicH

There could be programmed dialogue for those quests like a lot of other stuff. I ran into this with
Eventide Island
. I had already done the island, and then I found that seaside village where people told me about it. I had a dialogue option that said "I've been there". This has happened a few times for me. It could be the same for Kakariko quests.

Yeah, I wondered that too. Maybe Impa will tell him all about the
divine beasts
and Link will just be like, "oh yeah, I did one of those already." Although the fact that he already glitched Zora's Domain with his sequence breaking does make me wonder if there are more glitches to come.

En-ou

All resources that has been removed are relocated, such as ore, plants and weapons. It seems like Blood Moons is also some kind of subtle level upgrade. I encounter more harder bokoblins now than in the beginning (I have not yet battled any divine beast). Some ore locations that I've mined a lot seems to degrade in value for each blood moon.
Not entirely true. I mined a few ores and there was a blood moon a minute after. I went back and no ore respawned.

I believe they have their own internal spawn timer or a minimum time needs to elapse before the next blood moon respawns them.

kunonabi

lynel

ah
R
uta

I did the exact same thing but I didn't run into any problems like that. I just got a different introduction to mipha's brother is all.

ColdPizza

Banned
Game trolled me hard last night....been going nuts grinding through armor upgrades and needed one more star fragment.

See it, run up a mountain. Run down a mountain. It's on the side of a cliff above water. You know the rest.

I get close and that fucking thing falls right into the water, out of reach. And while I'm looking for clever ways to get it out, I run out of stamina and drown and I'm warped all the way back to somewhere else on land and I lose my whereabouts and the star fragment is gone.

lol

TheJoRu

This is not an amazing story or anything particularly special, but it was quite a funny turn of events:

Was randomly heading towards an enemy settlement, because hey why not? I notice a chest on the second floor of three. Since it was still night with all the enemies sleeping, and since I didn't feel like fighting I thought I should sneak in, grab the chest and get out. I take it very slowly, everything goes well, and I reach the chest. I open it and it's a weapon I don't want and don't have room for, but I haven't photographed it. Nice. So back in the chest it goes, and I pull out a fire arrow to destroy the chest and get my photograph.

Unfortunately at this point the sun has come up and the enemies are waking up. I don't even notice at first, but then I hear the familiar sound of a bomb arrow being aimed. Oh shit... the next second me and the weapon as well are flung into the air towards the edge of a cliff down into the void. As I get on my feet I notice the weapon rolling fast towards the edge. I desperately pull out the camera, manages to get the shot just before it falls into oblivion and proceeds to rush out of there with bombs exploding behind me as I go.

It feels like you have these kinds of moments all the time, that's what's so wonderful about the emergent gameplay on display here. Definitely one of my best and most earned entries in the Hyrule Compendium, lol.

DLaicH

I did the exact same thing but I didn't run into any problems like that. I just got a different introduction to mipha's brother is all.

Thanks, that's good to know!

Btw, here's a little snippet of our conversation. I was laughing so hard through the whole thing.

gIky4a1.jpg

Pinky

Banned
Last night, I salvaged enough materials to create the
Ancient Helmet
. I now have the full set and I've already done a few upgrades as well. Time to do some more exploring and tackle some more shrines!

Krakatoa

Is this supposed to happen? I shot a lynell last night in the coliseum with an Ancient arrow and it just disappeared.... I was expecting a chest to appear but nothing....

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I wondered that too. Maybe Impa will tell him all about the
divine beasts
and Link will just be like, "oh yeah, I did one of those already." Although the fact that he already glitched Zora's Domain with his sequence breaking does make me wonder if there are more glitches to come.

It's not glitching (or at least, you can do it without glitches). You can climb anything in the rain - you get four upward steps and a jump for every slip if you time it right, which is enough to make progress, it just demands a lot of stamina. A bit of cooking and you can still climb anything.

Mind you, I don't think he's right the Zora aren't there at all - the first time I visited ZD, it was night and raining and I didn't come across the bridge either, and I thought it was empty, but they almost all just go into the back section to the sleeping pools, which you can miss.

StAidan

Nope nothing. Just a puff of smoke and vanished. Has anyone else shot one with an Ancient arrow?

Yeah, that's correct behavior. With everything but guardians, ancient arrows basically erase their targets from existence. You get no drops from killing things with them.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Is this supposed to happen? I shot a lynell last night in the coliseum with an Ancient arrow and it just disappeared.... I was expecting a chest to appear but nothing....

Ancient Arrows wipe things out of existence. You don't get any drops from using one.

Here I am still playing this darn game long after I beat it. And I still haven't even started collecting the amiibo armor sets, which I promised myself I'd do after finishing the story.

Ogni-XR21

So I decided to also uprade all the head gear you can get in
Gerudo Town
after I found this video on a pretty fast way to farm star fragments. I needed 7 and it took me maybe 40 minutes. Took me 8 nights as in one of those nights there was no falling star.

So now I have every (non-Amiibo) armor item upgraded to the max. Now I'll go search for a few more side quests I might have missed and then I will finally have nothing else to do but face Ganon...

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Someone in here was saying the Diamond Circlet had the "highest defense in the game," that's definitely not true, it's even with the other two high-defense armor sets. They're all 28. I was looking this up, IGN lists it as 1 point higher, maybe people are being tricked by this error.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Is the
ancient
armor set worth buying and upgrading? I finally have enough materials and rubies to get it, but I don't want to waste my time if it's kind of crappy.

Thanks!

Haunted

I went through the
Coliseum Ruins
last night. Killed the
Lynel
and most of the bokoblins. Some of them I just smacked off the edge and kept moving. Found a chest at the top that just had Amber. Was the the reward? I needed the elemental weapons, so I'm grateful to know of a place to get them reliably, but after all that, just an amber?
Yeah I was expecting something bigger as well. Felt anticlimactic. I suppose just knowing what's in the location is nice.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Is the
ancient
armor set worth buying and upgrading? I finally have enough materials and rubies to get it, but I don't want to waste my time if it's kind of crappy.

Thanks!

It's tied for the highest defense, it's like the normal heavy armor set you get in Hateno, but with the perk of extra defense against guardians, and extra damage dealt with ancient weaponry once you level them all up to 2. Definitely worth the spend.

duckroll

I would be insanely impressed if the second DLC is a whole new mini-region, with a dungeon, a settlement of some sort, a stable, a handful of new quests, and a dozen shrines.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
It's tied for the highest defense, it's like the normal heavy armor set you get in Hateno, but with the perk of extra defense against guardians, and extra damage dealt with ancient weaponry once you level them all up to 2. Definitely worth the spend.
Awesome, thank you :)

Question about
flying Guardians
. Can they be parried like regular guardians? I can't ever seem to actually target them, and I don't want to spend a ton of money on arrows for them.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Question about
flying Guardians
. Can they be parried like regular guardians? I can't ever seem to actually target them, and I don't want to spend a ton of money on arrows for them.

You shouldn't have to lock onto something in order to parry, as long as you're facing roughly the right direction.

That said, you can try taking out their propellers with bombs or bomb arrows first.

Pinky

Banned
I would be insanely impressed if the second DLC is a whole new mini-region, with a dungeon, a settlement of some sort, a stable, a handful of new quests, and a dozen shrines.

I think an underground region would be really cool. A vast, interconnected network of tunnels and large caves below the surface of Hyrule. A unique race of dwellers that live below the surface because they cannot survive in direct sunlight. New enemies like large worms that burrow through the earth and create new pathways.

Hustler

I was so excited to find the last Fairy, although I was completely shocked to find out
you have to give her 10,000 rupees. I have 2,000 even with that guy at the stable giving me 500 for free. What a greedy hoebag.

Tom Nook

I was so excited to find the last Fairy, although I was completely shocked to find out
you have to give her 10,000 rupees. I have 2,000 even with that guy at the stable giving me 500 for free. What a greedy hoebag.

LOL.

I can buy a house and fully upgrade it that kind of rupees.

This is what drove me to look up farm spots and quick money guides. That, and the price of some of the later armor.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

holy.. I might actually look up what is needed to upgrade armour to the top level then. No point pushing for that much money if I don't have the materials. Simpler to do them both in parallel.

Would you recommend just upgrading ancient armour and/or Hatena armour to the max defence? If I'm in a fight I probably won't be wearing climbing pants so just take those to level 2?

Anteo

holy.. I might actually look up what is needed to upgrade armour to the top level then. No point pushing for that much money if I don't have the materials. Simpler to do them both in parallel.

Would you recommend just upgrading ancient armour and/or Hatena armour to the max defence? If I'm in a fight I probably won't be wearing climbing pants so just take those to level 2?

Champions shirt + amber earrings + knight leg armor = max defense and looks

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
In pre-release footage there was a function of the sheikah scope where you could mark enemies, it'd fill a little circle progress bar then show their health over their head. Now I am pretty sure this just ended up being cut from the game, but I wanted to check to make sure it wasn't some function I just never figured out how to do. Anyone?

duckroll

Cleared all the outstanding Shrine Quests I had. Explored the Forgotten Temple. Decided to do a trial run of Hyrule Castle for cookbook + loot. OMG. This Castle is totally made for exploration and not for rushing to the final boss. Maybe they should have put a boss door blocking off Ganon until you explored the Castle to find like... 5 different keys to unlock different parts of the door? Would that encourage other players to explore the Castle more? Because goddamn, seeing how passages connect, finding secret pathways, figuring out how you can stealth the shit out of encounters. FUCK. YEAH.

Cleared all the outstanding Shrine Quests I had. Explored the Forgotten Temple. Decided to do a trial run of Hyrule Castle for cookbook + loot. OMG. This Castle is totally made for exploration and not for rushing to the final boss. Maybe they should have put a boss door blocking off Ganon until you explored the Castle to find like... 5 different keys to unlock different parts of the door? Would that encourage other players to explore the Castle more? Because goddamn, seeing how passages connect, finding secret pathways, figuring out how you can stealth the shit out of encounters. FUCK. YEAH.
Hell yeah. I'm saving the last quarter of the castle for last (I beat the game before finding all memories, so I plan to beat it again now that I have them all--even the "secret" one.)

jariw

I'm upgrading all armor sets to max level, but that's just because I think that part of the game is really fun. Specially, things like finding n items of an obscure plant/fish only found in a specific part of the world.

The 4-star defenses is extremely OP.

Hustler

I haven't unlocked her yet, so I'm not sure what I need to upgrade all armor to max level. I'm somewhat of a completionist
screw getting all 900 korok seeds
. I have all armor up to level 3. But yes, I don't see any point in upgrading climbing armor past level 2 unless you like the look.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I haven't unlocked her yet, so I'm not sure what I need to upgrade all armor to max level. I'm somewhat of a completionist
screw getting all 900 korok seeds
. I have all armor up to level 3. But yes, I don't see any point in upgrading climbing armor past level 2 unless you like the look.

I wear the climbing gear for 99% of the game, only occasionally switching out to deal with specific encounters. I'm working on saving up the materials to upgrade it from 3 to 4. It just provides the most utility in moment-to-moment gameplay, there's nothing I do more than climb on things.

Top Bottom