• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

PerkeyMan

As stated above I was talking about Switch hardware haha.

Zelda reviews are coming tomorrow.

Zelda:

t1488452400z1.png

When are we getting the reviews?

:)

sanstesy

I found getting Makaar around in the Wind Temple more cumbersome than Ruto. Ruto was basically a stationary object. You have to actively control Makaar at times. It's slow as shit, and he basically only exists to set up hook shot points a lot of the time so it feels like the dungeon would function without him.

Granted, Makaar is out of commission for the first half.

Makaar is a pretty simple companion mechanic - I'm not a fan of the companion dungeons in WW but it isn't actively annoying & cumbersome.

Ruto you have to carry her around through the whole dungeon, unable to engage in combat and general interactions unless sitting her down, when she falls down somewhere you have to actively get her. Couple that with the annoying enemies, awful visual design of the dungeon and the non-existent puzzles and you got a recipe for a bad time.

Yep. My fiancé, who plays a lot of games like The Sims and Animal Crossing, has been playing OOT 3D, and had been having a good time up until that dungeon. The Ruto mechanic is one of the most outdated things in the game, and drove her crazy, almost causing her to bounce off the game.

Yeah, my brother stopped right there as well. Worse is it was his first Zelda game so he hasn't played another one since.

Vic_Viper

How much of the open world in the game just ends up being empty? As I have been watching some of the reviews and let's plays people have been posting on youtube ive noticed that alot of the world is just barren. I hope that doesnt end up being the case, or rather there is still stuff to do in these wide open areas other than just exploring.

Games like MGSV, FFXV, and Horizon were able to solve this issue by having a ton of side stuff to do while traveling form mission to mission, like collecting resources, crafting, and random events/bosses.

GDGF

Soothsayer
How much of the open world in the game just ends up being empty? As I have been watching some of the reviews and let's plays people have been posting on youtube ive noticed that alot of the world is just barren. I hope that doesnt end up being the case, or rather there is still stuff to do in these wide open areas other than just exploring.

Games like MGSV, FFXV, and Horizon were able to solve this issue by having a ton of side stuff to do while traveling form mission to mission, like collecting resources, crafting, and random events/bosses.

Every preview I have read says the world is alive and there is always something to do along your journey, including the side stuff you mentioned above. Plus the physics system adds to that.

Watching videos is very different from playing. Most of the previews have said that the world is very dense with things to do all over the place, never feeling really empty. Some impressions have found it to be a bit empty in certain areas though.

Kinsei

Banned

Collecting resources, crafting (Cooking in this case) and random mini bosses in the world are all things that Zelda does.

Aldric

There's absolutely nothing to do in the game. lt's Nintendo being ten years late afterall and people saying positive things about the game are just blinded by nostalgia.

You're seeing what you want to see then. When every preview is commenting on how full of life the world is, yet you're ignoring that in favor of ONLY what you're seeing (of the small amount they're allowed to show) clearly nothing will convince you otherwise

Mael

I'd suggest being more obvious in your sarcasms as it's gotten noticeably harder to know if someone jokes or not these days.

The ball in Season's isn't dragged through the entire dungeon yes, but getting it from its point A to B to C to D to its final destination requires a solid knowledge of the dungeon's layout and how to manipulate the ball successfully. It's that element of design that isn't really prevalent in modern Zelda dungeons.

The Ruto example is a bit rudimentary yes, but Majora's Mask is basically brimming with stuff like this. They went all out in the dungeons in that game, possibly, because of how few they were.

Lies. The use of the boomerang is fantastic. It is also a more interesting dungeon style thematically than the previous ones and introduced the multi-room puzzle style of some later dungeons in more detail. It looked fantastic in the 3DS version.

The enemies were super annoying, and the mini-boss, ugh, but the boss itself was really cool. It's probably my favourite of the kid Link dungeons.

That ball puzzle, seriously, is not as intricate as you guys remember, I literally just replayed it. The Ice dropping puzzle later on is a little more akin to "needing solid knowledge of the dungeons layout."

Also, Jabu is no issue if you're using your map properly.

Anth0ny

Lots of empty space and stuff to climb

You might find some neat flowers after running in a straight line for 2 minutes though

kunonabi

I think you are confusing posters here because I only said that about Skyward Sword and Between Worlds, I think Twilight Princess is fine.

Yeah the Sky Keep concept was brilliant, but the execution was severely lacking because of how simple and straight forward the solution was. Also that one moment you had to use the bow cleverly in sandship was spoiled for me by Fi. I thought "okay, that was awesome" but sadly I didn't get a chance to make the realization myself so it kind of defeats the purpose of having them there. I don't know, it feels like Nintendo is just too afraid of people getting stuck it seems.

The fi issue on the Sandship is a player mistake. I had the same complaint when I played it the first time but every time I've played since she's never given me the solution unprompted.

Myriadis

I played 30 minutes so far. And died 4 times. There is a blue boboklin enemy which can kill you in one hit and they have no trouble letting you fight him.

That game is fucking awesome.

I can't speak to Horizon, but if you actually thought MGS V and FF XV had meaningful side content (they didn't), you aren't going to have any issues with this game.

aravuus

I played 30 minutes so far. And died 4 times. There is a blue boboklin enemy which can kill you in one hit and they have no trouble letting you fight him.

That sounds awesome. What happens when you die? You just respawn somewhere with all your things or something?

KooopaKid

Banned
What's cool is that an EDGE 10 guarantees the game will get at least a 90 Metacritic. It has always been the case in 20 years. The consensus is that the game is going to be great. If it doesn't follow that trend, it will probably mean more reviewers are concentrating on the technical side this gen.

Kindekuma

Banned
My current save slot on OoT 3DS - my first time playing the game ever - is halted on that very dungeon and has been for months.

It's not bad... It's just not great

I dislike all the child dungeons. Picking up the game and restarting it with the intent of getting the master sword and doing the adult dungeons is always halted by the child dungeons.

Myriadis

That sounds awesome. What happens when you die? You just respawn somewhere with all your things or something?

Spoiler just in case:
You respawn fairly close to where you died (maybe a bit of running until you get there) and you get the stuff back you lost during the fight. Loading is fairly quick, 5 seconds.

Now I have to stop checking this thread. Good night sweet prince

It's still the plateau and heavily featured in many places. But I'll be careful not to post spoilers.

Aldric

The fi issue on the Sandship is a player mistake. I had the same complaint when I played it the first time but every time I've played since she's never given me the solution unprompted.

l'm pretty sure what happens with that one particular puzzle is that if you enter the room once but leave without solving the puzzle Fi tells you the solution when you come back later. That's what happend to me at least, l decided to explore the dungeon ahead, got stuck, came back and she popped out unsollicited. To call that a "player mistake" is stretching the definition a bit thin.

Is the "the open world is empty" the new "there are no dungeons?"

No, it's been a complaint from people for a long time now. It's an incredibly stupid criticism, mind you. The Witcher III isn't a great game because it has monster nests and bandit camps every 10 feet.

Pro tip you might not realize, you can tag enemies through the first person sheikh slate view and doing so will clearly indicate that the different colored bokoblin is the all around more powerful leader unit.

Correct me if I'm wrong

RRockman

Banned

No, it's been a complaint from people for a long time now. It's an incredibly stupid criticism, mind you. The Witcher III isn't a great game because it has monster nests and bandit camps every 10 feet.

Ok, as long as there is actual basis for it. I guess people can't handle walking around and admiring the scenery. I missed out on Xenoblade so I haven't had a game with such great topology since FF12.

pswii60

So, time for the final round of predictions, since the reviews are less than 18hours away.

I'm betting on a 95 Metascore.
I'm going with 98. It could actually be the highest rated game on MC of all time if the previews are any indication. That said, there will be a few click-baiters to pull down the score no doubt.

Mael

Witcher III is supposed to not be empty because monster nests and bandit camps?
How empty are the games that are supposed to be bad?

Aldric

lt's not that it's stupid, it's just not consistent with what was shown. You can watch 15 minutes of footage from last year's E3 and realize there's tons of shit to do. Now saying "all that stuff looks boring" would be one thing, but actually still asking "um guise is it me or does the world look empty??" at this point feels like willfull ignorance.

sanstesy

I'm going with 98. It could actually be the highest rated game on MC of all time if the previews are any indication. That said, there will be a few click-baiters to pull down the score no doubt.

No, these people aren't called click-baiters - they are called people who don't like a game as much as other people do for personal reasons.

No game is perfect for everyone, even if it does the things it does almost perfectly for another. Reviewers are individuals and individuals all have different preferences.

I feel like the people playing the game are quiet again, or have finished and are furiously writing their reviews.

I'm scared. I want this game to be the Zelda revolution the series needs. But I also recognize that some revolutions are not popular with certain people.

I still think this game looks like something out of God's treasure chest...so I will enjoy it at least.

Oh, and hi Steve.

sphinx

the piano man
So, time for the final round of predictions, since the reviews are less than 18hours away.

I'm betting on a 95 Metascore.

I am going with a 92, tops,.

I think that the fact that it's technically/visually not on par with this gen's biggest efforts that will make reviewers deduct some points.

that's asuming they believe the game is a 10/10 otherwise,

I expect several 9/10 or even 8/10 with the narrative "Horizon looks like this, Zelda looks like this, therefore Zelda is a 8/10 game

takriel

98 is too high. It can get a 95 though. But I wouldn't go higher than that.

pswii60

No, these people aren't called click-baiters - they are called people who don't like a game as much as other people do for personal reasons.

No game is perfect for everyone, even if it does the things it does almost perfectly for another. Reviewers are individuals and individuals all have different preferences.
I completely agree with what you've said, and not every bad review is clickbait obviously, but you are in denial if you think that there aren't any clickbait reviews. The internet is flooded with clickbait in every orifice.
98 is too high. It can get a 95 though. But I wouldn't go higher than that.
Ok. If we aim higher with our predictions though, then it makes the concern trolling easier tomorrow ;)

takriel

Based on what I saw so far, anyone giving the game less than a 8/10 is fucking insane and will be ignored by me going forward.

Top Bottom