• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

Amir0x

Banned
Thinking of doing a Wind Waker-Twilight Princess marathon to try to quench my Zelda hype after I beat Dark Souls, because this wait is seriously bonkers at this point

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fuck that rupee intro reset every time you quit Twilight Princess. And fuck the abundance of chests that looked identical to item and heart piece chests containing rupees. The Lakebed Temple was a nightmare due to the sheer abundance of fancy looking chests with nothing other than rupees in them. Rupees you couldn't hold because your wallet is permanently full.

Amir0x said:
Thinking of doing a Wind Waker-Twilight Princess marathon to try to quench my Zelda hype after I beat Dark Souls, because this wait is seriously bonkers at this point

Join me in Dolphin and together we can live forever.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Lord Ghirahim said:

My bad I read too fast, I was just talking about the ridiculously annoying amounts of text boxes that accompany picking up shit tleling you every little detail about them even if youve already found one of those before, like maps and compasses and shit. Cutscenes for chests arent a big deal for me. As long as its only big chests that do the whole big reveal and not the little ones also Im fine.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Chet Rippo said:
Link must have a poor memory, I guess. But that rupee intro everytime you quit TP got a little grating after a while.

And speaking of rupees, perhaps upgrading items is a way to fix the rupee overabundance in the quest?

TP remedied that with the Magic Armour.
TWW remedied that with Tingle swindling you to translate maps.
MM "remedied" that with the bank and heart pieces, kinda.

I just hate leaving chests unopened.

TheCongressman1 said:
Wrong video. Nevermind.

Even then, all those cutscenes are exactly what he said, short and to the point. Is it going to kill you to see that box fly away every once in a while?

Is it going to kill them to not show us a cutscene every time we get an item? They should be reserved for items like swords or end-of-dungeon items. This is optimal for minor items.

Crumpet Trumpet said:
loz is too open ended
zelda 2 is too hard
alttp is too ~next gen brown~
links awakening had a horrid ending
the cdi games were flawless
oot wasnt revolutionary it was derivative
mm was too tim burton
ww was ugly as fuck
tp was perfectly paced but had horrid dungeons

are we done now?
Oh god every time I'm reminded of this "OoT was LttP with polygons" thing it actually makes me angry. Or sad. I guess I'm trying to say it confuses me.

Sagitario

EatChildren said:
Finished the Arbiters Ground, which in retrospect might be my favourite dungeon in the entire series. It's soaked in atmosphere, has great puzzles, the Spinner is a bitchin' item, it mixes up both adult Link and wolf play, and the two bossfights (Death Sword and Stallord) are really awesome. Like most of Twilight Princess the ease works against it, but I still love it. Here's more shots than anybody asked.

z12jr0t.jpg

Would have loved to see some hi-res of Zant using magic. I love TP particle effects/magic.

Kjellson

Lord Ghirahim said:
I wish behind-the-back-view Zeldas could learn a few things from the top-down ones. Why do we need a long unskippable chest opening cutscene for every little object?
I replayed Link's Awakening recently, and that game is full of unskippable stuff that's really annoying.

ZEINN.png

That together with the key hint thing you get every time you get a compass, the description every time you get and acorn or a sword power-up, every time you touch a green crystal, every time you touch a block of ice and loads of other stuff really got on my nerves. I would say that Link's Awakening is the king of annoying and unskippable information of every little object.

Gravijah

Kjellson said:
I replayed Link's Awakening recently, and that game is full of unskippable stuff that's really annoying.

ZEINN.png

That together with the key hint thing you get every time you get a compass, the description every time you get and acorn or a sword power-up, every time you touch a green crystal, every time you touch a block of ice and loads of other stuff really got on my nerves. I would say that Link's Awakening is the king of annoying and unskippable information of every little object.

plus: INVENTORY JUGGLING

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EatChildren said:
My shots are all vanilla TP. No texture packs.

The way it should be. Those comparison shots posted earlier look MUCH worse.

I am now going to rebuild my PC for Dolphin+WW/TP and TOR.

Kjellson said:

ZEINN.png

OH? WHAT A WEIRD OBJECT! THERE MUST BE SOME WAY TO TACKLE THIS OBSTACLE.

LINK CHECKED THE CHEST. WOW, THIS IS A NICE CHEST! (wtf)

Side note: Link's Awakening has a surprisingly nice localization for an early 90s Game Boy game.

Gravijah

Andrex said:
The way it should be. Those comparison shots posted earlier look MUCH worse.

I am now going to rebuild my PC for Dolphin+WW/TP and TOR.

do you have a google decal on your pc

Electivirus said:
Side note: Link's Awakening has a surprisingly nice localization for an early 90s Game Boy game.
They definitely kept a bunch of humor in the game -- humor that didn't really exist in Legend of Zelda and was barely there in Zelda II.

Plus, Bow-wow!

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
plus: INVENTORY JUGGLING
my biggest problem with this is MC

I mean 2 more buttons and I'm still restricted to 2 items?

At least the new buttons should have some cool functionality wait no, it's rolling and a button for talking.

Jesus christ.

Roto13

EatChildren said:
Fuck that rupee intro reset every time you quit Twilight Princess. And fuck the abundance of chests that looked identical to item and heart piece chests containing rupees. The Lakebed Temple was a nightmare due to the sheer abundance of fancy looking chests with nothing other than rupees in them. Rupees you couldn't hold because your wallet is permanently full.
There was that one chest in a water pump room that you couldn't reach until after you got the clawshot, and you had no reason to ever return to that room otherwise. I remember making my way up the waterslide to the top of that room again and getting to the chest and getting five fucking rupees from it. Come on.

I didn't mind that so many chests contained rupees or that you couldn't always take them with you, but that's just trolling.
Electivirus said:
LINK CHECKED THE CHEST. WOW, THIS IS A NICE CHEST! (wtf)
Well you actually had to press A for that one. :p

Anth0ny

Chet Rippo said:

FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I bet they won't fix this shit in Skyward Sword either.

And I was annoyed by those messages in LA too. But besides that, the game was awesome. Twilight Princess, on the other hand, I can't say the same.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anth0ny said:
And I was annoyed by those messages in LA too. But besides that, the game was awesome. Twilight Princess, on the other hand, I can't say the same.

Nah, you can say that.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Anth0ny said:
FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I bet they won't fix this shit in Skyward Sword either.

Why? It was a glitch. A mistake in the coding of the game. It won't happen in Skyward Sword. It won't.

Caelus

BY2K said:
Why? It was a glitch. A mistake in the coding of the game. It won't happen in Skyward Sword. It won't.

Yeah, TWW didn't have it and it used the same engine.

SS has been worked on for at most half a decade, I'm sure they know about the glitch by now.

Hypatia

shadyspace said:
But it has polygons. POLYGONS. Not those stupid sprites all you olds are so fond of.

I actually have a friend like this. Loves Zelda but wont play any of the 2D games because... they're 2D.

It hurts my brain whenever I think about it.

Also those 3 in 1 controller things are great, I use one for Dolphin. No idea if they support wavebirds but I'd think they would. However they dont support rumble on the standard controllers.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
TheCongressman1 said:
Exactly like this.

Don't start complaining about it either, because we don't know if it will show up every time. The Rupee thing was just a glitch, so they probably won't have it repeat.

Unless IGN is mistaken those little info boxes should only happen the first time and what we saw in the video should be all we see, there shouldnt be 2-3 more text boxes with more useless info like in previous Zelda games.

Mistle

Caelus said:
Yeah, TWW didn't have it and it used the same engine.

SS has been worked on for at most half a decade, I'm sure they know about the glitch by now.
It still baffles me how that TP rupee glitch got shipped. It's like nobody even play tested the game.

Caelus

Enduin said:
Unless IGN is mistaken those little info boxes should only happen the first time and what we saw in the video should be all we see, there shouldnt be 2-3 more text boxes with more useless info like in previous Zelda games.

It does happen the first time, the first item you picked up had a description and was placed on the collection screen. Then every time you collect them it just appears above your head.

Rikkun

Hypatia said:
I actually have a friend like this. Loves Zelda but wont play any of the 2D games because... they're 2D.

It hurts my brain whenever I think about it.

Also those 3 in 1 controller things are great, I use one for Dolphin. No idea if they support wavebirds but I'd think they would. However they dont support rumble on the standard controllers.

I have a friend who likes Zelda but always bashes OOt because it's old.

Ignorance.

He also loves Dragon Age and Dragon Age 2, so the circle is closed.

I had a brilliant idea. What if they had a lore book that recorded every new item that you pick up, and to find out what it does, you just go look in the book. That way, it's optional! Maybe you could also find carvings and such that you could read about.

I was just thinking about Metroid Prime, and how it had the log book. I always liked going and reading about stuff I had scanned.

Caelus

TheCongressman1 said:
I had a brilliant idea. What if they had a lore book that recorded every new item that you pick up, and to find out what it does, you just go look in the book. That way, it's optional! Maybe you could also find carvings and such that you could read about.

Is that not the point of the collection screen?

Kjellson

Does anyone know anything about Oracle of Ages/Seasons on the 3DS Virtual Console? I've never played them, and as a huge Zelda fan, that kinda bothers me.

Caelus said:
Is that not the point of the collection screen?

Thanks for bursting my bubble. I still like the idea of finding additional lore.

Edit: Even then, it could just pop up a message in game that says you have a new log. It wouldn't have to disrupt gameplay.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
TheCongressman1 said:
If Zelda had a Xenoblade-like Collectopedia, I would take forever to beat the game. It happened with FFXII too. I made a point to fill the encyclopedia out as much as I could before moving on, lol.

I like the idea being implemented in Zelda, though. It'd help out with the lore at least.

Kjellson

Holy Order Sol said:
The description shows up every single time you pick them up instead of just the first time.
No, it's when you pick up a non-green rupee for the first time every time you start the game.

Top Bottom