• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

Kjellson said:
No, it's when you pick up a non-green rupee for the first time every time you start the game.

Yeah, I got things mixed up there. By the way, did someone at Nintendo acknowledge it as a glitch at some point, or did people just come to that conclusion after someone from the homebrew scene fixed it?

Hypatia

Kjellson said:
Does anyone know anything about Oracle of Ages/Seasons on the 3DS Virtual Console? I've never played them, and as a huge Zelda fan, that kinda bothers me.

The Oracle games are fantastically designed Zeldas. Though I always felt Oracle of Ages was the better one but that's because I prefer puzzles over the combat... especially in the 2D games.

I wouldn't say they're as good as LA or LTTP but they're certainly worthy successors. So if they end up on the VC you should definitely get them.

But, if it was me, I'd get the original carts instead of waiting who knows how long for them to end up on the VC.

The early development of the Oracle games has always fascinated me:
The origin of the Oracle series began when Yoshiki Okamoto, then head of Flagship (a Capcom screenwriting company) proposed to Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of the Legend of Zelda series, a remake of the original The Legend of Zelda for the Game Boy Color.[10] Later on, it was decided that, if the release was successful, it would be followed up with several other titles to be released in quick sucession.[11] There was talk of remaking the second title in the series, The Adventure of Link as well, followed by four completely original titles, making for a total of six games.[12] A few months later, it was said that there would be only three sequels following up the first release.[13] It was said these games could be played "in any order", seemingly the true beginnings of the Oracle series.
The development of the games was not without problems, likely due to the fact that development began with the scenarios developed by Flagship instead of gameplay (Miyamoto's usual procedure).[14] Although Okamoto wished to begin with the remake of The Legend of Zelda before moving to a more ambitious project, some members of the staff believed that the first stage should be skipped and the development of a new Legend of Zelda title started right away.[15] Since the development began with the scenario instead of the gameplay, the team encountered several difficulties in developing the maps, often having to "redo the maps and the scenario to make all the elements fit."[16] Progress was additionally hindered by the size of the Game Boy Color's screen.[17]

As Okamoto encountered problems in the development of the remake, Shigeru Miyamoto instead proposed the creation of the "Triforce Series".[18] Each title was to refer to a piece of the Triforce (Chapters of Power, Wisdom, and Courage), revolving around a pivotal character (oracle) according to the chapter (Din for the Chapter of Power, Nayru for Wisdom, Farore for Courage).[19] Each game was to focus on a different gameplay element of the Legend of Zelda series: the Chapter of Wisdom was to be puzzle-based, the Chapter of Power, action-based. The gameplay focus of the third title was never revealed.[20] Each game was to have a new gameplay theme:
The Chapter of Power had a season theme, using Rod of Seasons to alter the four seasons and solve puzzles.[21]
The Chapter of Wisdom featured a color theme, which was to be used to solve puzzles.[22]
The Chapter of Courage was to have a theme of time, using morning, noon, evening and night to solve puzzles.[23]
These three games became known as the "Mysterious/Mystical Seed Trilogy", composed of Mystical Seed of Power, Mystical Seed of Wisdom, and Mystical Seed of Courage.[24] Mystical Seed of Power was said to be adapted from Capcom's original project, the original Legend of Zelda remake. Similarities to the original Legend of Zelda can be seen to this day in Oracle of Seasons.
A unique feature of the three games was to be their ability to be linked together using a password system (see Linking Secrets above). However, the coordination of three games proved to be too complex. To simplify, Mystical Seed of Courage was cancelled, thus reducing the series to two titles. Oracle of Ages was adapted from Mystical Seed of Wisdom (using Courage's time mechanic instead), and Oracle of Seasons from Mystical Seed of Power.[25] Together, they became known as the Oracle series of today.

I would love a remake of The Adventure of Link, actually.

And though this is probably heresy to a whole lot of you, I'll say it anyways: I'd love it if (visible) numbers and a simple RPG leveling system were brought back for at least one game.

Anth0ny

SecretMoblin said:

And though this is probably heresy to a whole lot of you, I'll say it anyways: I'd love it if (visible) numbers and a simple RPG leveling system were brought back for at least one game.

Definitely.

Paper Zelda with Zelda 2 gameplay. Hard as shit. Get er done Nintendo.

never happening

SecretMoblin said:

As someone who has never played AoL I'd be down for that.

Anth0ny said:
Definitely.

Paper Zelda with Zelda 2 gameplay. Hard as shit. Get er done Nintendo.

never happening
As much as I despise Zelda 2, I would be willing to give Paper Zelda a try if it was at least as good as Paper Mario 64.

Hypatia

I've always wanted to love AoL but there's way too much repetitive combat for my liking. Plus walking in one direction through sidescrolling 2D levels really puts a damper on the feeling of exploration.

Maybe I should play it with cheats or something.

Anth0ny

Gravijah said:
zelda 2 aint even that hard

Death_Mountain_TAoL.png

0.jpg

fuck

Gravijah said:
zelda 2 aint even that hard
Oh I think it's definitely tough - especially the bosses - but I think the reputation it's earned over the years is ridiculous. And yeah, the combat is a bit grind-y and the dungeons are same-y and the localization was odd, but those are things that could be tweaked in a remake.

Given the way Nintendo handled remakes of the original game, Link's Awakening, and Ocarina of Time, I'd trust them to do a reasonable job.

Meikiyou

Gravijah said:
you've got some work to do.
I know, must complete Majora or wait for a remake in which the time transition system doesn't sucks =L. It counts if i have read the manga which has a great background story for how majora come into existence?

Probably No =L.

Meikiyou said:
I know, must complete Majora or wait for a remake in which the time transition system doesn't sucks =L. It counts if i have read the manga which has a great background story for how majora come into existence?

Probably No =L.
hgJfq.jpg

I hate time limits. Hate, hate, hate them. I hate them in Mario games, I even hate them in Metroid games (where they last at most for a few minutes).

But Majora's Mask works just fine. Play it!
I wouldn't mind a different saving system, though :-/

Meikiyou

SecretMoblin said:
I hate time limits. Hate, hate, hate them. I hate them in Mario games, I even hate them in Metroid games (where they last at most for a few minutes).

But Majora's Mask works just fine. Play it!
I wouldn't mind a different saving system, though :-/
Will play after kirby return to dream land in preparation for The GAME OF CENTURY Skyward Sword =3

Anth0ny

Without a guide or map, I'd say Zelda I is almost as hard as Zelda II.

Starting you at the beginning of the last dungeon with THREE HEARTS after you die is not cool.

Hypatia

Meikiyou said:
would prefer if the game had given real three days time instead.

That would be a terrible thing to do to MM! You'd completely change both the flow and atmosphere of the game.

Part of what makes MM so great is redoing the same three days, learning more and more each time and yet never managing to save everybody.

Meikiyou

Hypatia said:
That would be a terrible thing to do to MM! You'd completely change both the flow and atmosphere of the game.

Part of what makes MM so great is redoing the same three days, learning more and more each time and yet never managing to save everybody.
With three days real time i think it would be able to give the same feeling and a new game plus which would be much more enjoyable than returning back in time.

Hypatia said:

I like how you can't help the bomb shop lady and Kafei at the same time.

Gravijah

Meikiyou said:
With three days real time i think it would be able to give the same feeling and a new game plus which would be much more enjoyable than returning back in time.

the game doesn't even last 72 hours

Rikkun

Oh yeah, now that I remember I never understood how the time travel worked.

I mean, when you end the Mountain dungeon the snow vanishes right?
But going back in time makes it come back.
Is that normal? Arent' some places only accessible without snow?

Gravijah

how to majora mask:

beat the first 3 dungeons -> do sidequests -> beat dungeon 4 -> finish any that are left -> beat game

Mumei

Rikkun said:

I'm not sure what you mean.

If you defeat the dungeon and make the snow go away, and then go back in time to before you had beaten the boss, the snow naturally comes back when you go to that earlier point in time.

So yes it is normal. And yes there are places only accessible with snow gone; this is why the game allows you to teleport almost directly to the dungeon and skip immediately to the boss in order to facilitate this.

Gravijah said:
how to majora mask:

beat the first 3 dungeons -> do sidequests -> beat dungeon 4 -> finish any that are left -> beat game

This is crazy talk.

Do Sidequests -> First Dungeon -> Do Sidequests -> Second Dungeon -> Do Sidequests Third Dungeon -> Do Sidequests - Fourth Dungeon - Finish Sidequests - Beat Game

Rikkun said:

You need to beat the Snowhead Dungeon two times minimum to get everything, iirc.

1) For story purposes
2) To get the license to hold Powder Kegs

Other than that, the snow is just snow.

Meikiyou

Gravijah said:
how to majora mask:

Never return for sidequests =L unless it is related to some mainline very important part of story.

Mumei said:
I'm not sure what you mean.

If you defeat the dungeon and make the snow go away, and then go back in time to before you had beaten the boss, the snow naturally comes back when you go to that earlier point in time.

So yes it is normal. And yes there are places only accessible with snow gone; this is why the game allows you to teleport almost directly to the dungeon and skip immediately to the boss in order to facilitate this.

This is crazy talk.

Do Sidequests -> First Dungeon -> Do Sidequests -> Second Dungeon -> Do Sidequests Third Dungeon -> Do Sidequests - Fourth Dungeon - Finish Sidequests - Beat Game

Is that Johan on your avatar?

Hypatia

Gravijah said:
the game doesn't even last 72 hours

If it did that'd be horrible. You'd never have enough time to mess around with... time... and the consequences of certain actions.

Not to mention that even Twilight Princess didn't have enough dungeons for three days.

Gravijah

Mumei said:
This is crazy talk.

that's how i played but i swear you get like 2 sidequests to do before the third dungeon then BOOM A BILLION.

Hypatia

Meikiyou said:
Never return for sidequests =L unless it is related to some mainline very important part of story.

But all the sidequests in MM are important! Thats like... the point of the game. ):

Meikiyou

Hypatia said:
But all the sidequests in MM are important! Thats like... the point of the game. ):
Xenoblade i did like just the sidequests which going through the story would auto complete it =L. I had started MM at least 4 times and all 4 i stopped playing just before the snow temple.

Gravijah

Meikiyou said:
Xenoblade i did like just the sidequests which going through the story would auto complete it =L. I had started MM at least 4 times and all 4 i stopped playing just before the snow temple.

if you dont do sidequests you're playing video games wrong

Mumei

Meikiyou said:
Is that Johan on your avatar?

Yeah, fan art. I don't know the website where I originally got it (might not even be up anymore), but this is the full image.

Gravijah said:
that's how i played but i swear you get like 2 sidequests to do before the third dungeon then BOOM A BILLION.

It is possible to get twenty heart pieces and I think around six masks before you set foot into the first dungeon, though I suppose it depends on what you consider a sidequest to entail.

Meikiyou

Gravijah said:
if you dont do sidequests you're playing video games wrong
Sidequests are fine when they are enjoyable and got mainstory bits, most of sidequests i played are there just to make the game longer which is not welcomed in my opinion.

Hypatia

The optional Kafei and Anju side quest doesn't have any affect on the 'main story' and it certainly makes the game longer... but it's also one of the best sidequests in gaming, just as enjoyable as any of the dungeons and is probably better than all of the mandatory quests inbetween them.

You're reaaaaaaaaally missing out if you avoid the sidequests in MM.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Roto13 said:
There was that one chest in a water pump room that you couldn't reach until after you got the clawshot, and you had no reason to ever return to that room otherwise. I remember making my way up the waterslide to the top of that room again and getting to the chest and getting five fucking rupees from it. Come on.

I didn't mind that so many chests contained rupees or that you couldn't always take them with you, but that's just trolling.

That is literally the one I was thinking of when I posted that :lol.

Even the rupee wallet limit would be solved by simply having the rupee specific chests look different from the others. Making all the effort to search, discover and access a treasure chest, hoping for a map, compass, item or heat piece, only to find a goddamn rupee you cant even take with you, is rage inducing.

Top Bottom