• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

RagnarokX

royalan said:
And all of that contributes to what is really my argument and where I stand on the whole timeline debate, and that is thus: There may have been a timeline at some point, but the series has long since outgrown it. You can't argue that there's a complete timeline while acknowledging that certain games don't fit in it or break it entirely. I place more value in the general mythos of the Zelda series - the idea that there's a standing legend that the games contribute to and pull from. It's the only theory that accounts for the inconsistencies in the narrative.

That's what I believe.
You've got it backwards though. There used to not be a timeline, or at least there was but Nintendo didn't care about it enough to make strong connections between games.

For example, Zelda 2 expounds upon Zelda 1 by explaining what the legend of Zelda is, a legend that has henceforth never been mentioned again and throws a monkey wrench into placing it in the timeline. Then they made ALttP, which has a grander story but has seemingly no strong connection at all to the previous games. People still debate on whether ALttP comes before or after the NES games.

When they started making OoT, development, from what I understand, was hell. They were pretty much reinventing the wheel here and they decided that they would use ALttP's backstory as starting point and as an excuse to reuse ALttP's tropes. However, they weren't very adherent to the backstory they were supposedly following and even with OoT by itself there are a lot of holes in linking it to ALttP.

As time went on games like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess put further difficulties on placing the older games in the timeline. Capcom was allowed a little too much freedom in making their games and although Nintendo once talked about Minish Cap as being a prequel to OoT there is no more talk of that. Cut content from FSA reveals that it was originally supposed to tie the FS games into the timeline and make ALttP fit more coherently, but they abandoned that idea. My guess is that they realized what a convulted mess Capcom's stuff made of the timeline.

In other words, Zelda timeline was a mess at first, and has become more coherent over time. The only problems are the 2D games, but they are inconsequential anyway. Use Occam's Razor and shave them away. If you want to hypothesize a timeline involving them, feel free, but I think that's almost as crazy as claiming that SS, OoT, MM, WW, PH, ST, and TP don't make a coherent timeline.

royalan

In other words, Zelda timeline was a mess at first, and has become more coherent over time. The only problems are the 2D games, but they are inconsequential anyway. Use Occam's Razor and shave them away. If you want to hypothesize a timeline involving them, feel free, but I think that's almost as crazy as claiming that SS, OoT, MM, WW, PH, ST, and TP don't make a coherent timeline.

You know what? I can accept that. The only timeline discussion that really irks me are those that try to connect every game.

RagnarokX said:

For what it's worth, I definitely agree with you.

SS -> OoT

OoT Child -> MM -> TP

OoT Adult -> WW -> PH -> ST

That sound about right? I haven't been following the theory discussion enough to know for sure.

MalpercioGoC said:

SS -> OoT

OoT Child -> MM -> TP

That sound about right? I haven't been following the theory discussion enough to know for sure.
Looks right.

RagnarokX

MalpercioGoC said:

SS -> OoT

OoT Child -> MM -> TP

Yeah, that's basically it.

The only one that sticks out it TP because, although we know where it fits (Aonuma said it happens in the MM timeline and the game is an obvious OoT sequel that can't happen before or after WW) it still requires a bit of extrapolation to understand the whole Ganon thing. Here is how I and other see it:

When Zelda sent Link back in time at the end of TP she also sent back the triforce of courage. The triforce could not cross timelines because the there would be 2 triforces of courage at the same time, so Link's triforce of courage shattered and stayed in the Adult timeline and the triforce in the new Child timeline broke and went to their respective owners. When Link goes to see Zelda in OoT's ending you can see that he has the triforce of courage even though he went back to before Ganon touched the triforce. In the 3DS version they kept this, so we can assume it was done on purpose.

Now here's where the most extrapolation occurs. It's assumed that in this new timeline Link and Zelda tell the king of Hyrule about Ganon and he arrests Ganon. Then the original sages (not the OoT sages. Let's assume that you had to awaken new sages because Ganon murdered the old sages in OoT durring the timeskip) go about executing Ganon. Ganon survives his execution due to the triforce of power, which he didn't know how he got. He and the sages assumed it was a prank of the gods, but it was actually due to Zelda sending Link back in time with the triforce of courage. This leads to him being much more conceited than he was in Wind Waker, because he was never humbled by the Hero of Time and he thinks the gods chose him. And that's pretty much it for making it fit with OoT better. It makes a lot of sense so it's no big deal making these small assumptions. Nothing about TP makes it not fit, although Amir0x really really really hates the Oocca.

Also, I much prefer Wind Waker's humble Ganon. His story made him seem more reasonable, yet he was still clearly insane.

Wind Waker had this great dynamic to it about how legends are built up and we lust for the past, but we shouldn't live in the past and should embrace the future.

The whole game ancient beings are talking about the Hero of Time and Hyrule, putting huge expectations on Link and doubting him because he's not a reincarnation. But despite not being chosen by the gods, Link proves himself on his own and the legends are buried forever beneath the waves.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EmCeeGramr said:

UndividedAttention.gif

watershed

Banned
So what's the explanation for WW's Ganon? IIRC he was imprisoned but escapes and that's how he comes to be in WW. I always assumed he was imprisoned in the sacred realm and found a way out somehow. I also assume that he came from the bottom of the ocean, from the old hyrule because he talks about the desert where he's from. So is he the ganon at the end of OoT when presumably young link and young zelda stop Ganon before he kills the king and takes over hyrule?

RagnarokX

shadyspace said:
How do you get insanity from WW's Ganondorf?
Well, his reasons for hating the Hylians were justified, but the way he went about it was insane. Making his own people hate him, devastating the landscape. And when the King totally screwed up his plans he totally flipped his lid.

I'm hoping SS shows the Hylians screwing over the Gerudo.

artwalknoon said:
So what's the explanation for WW's Ganon? IIRC he was imprisoned but escapes and that's how he comes to be in WW. I always assumed he was imprisoned in the sacred realm and found a way out somehow. I also assume that he came from the bottom of the ocean, from the old hyrule because he talks about the desert where he's from. So is he the ganon at the end of OoT when presumably young link and young zelda stop Ganon before he kills the king and takes over hyrule?

WW Ganon is the Ganon that you fought and beat at the end of OoT. At some point he escaped from the Sacred Realm and began attacking Hyrule again, but because there was no Hero to stop him, the gods flooded Hyrule but kept Ganon sealed at the bottom of the ocean. If you notice, they mentioned that when he broke out between OoT and WW, he immediately went after the Master Sword's sages, and during WW he's spending his time searching for the other Triforce pieces. He got beaten by the Master Sword and lost his chance to bring the three pieces together in OoT, so it makes sense that he'd do that in WW.

TP Ganon is the Ganondorf who never got a chance to take over Hyrule, the one that young Zelda is watching at the end of OoT when Adult Zelda sent Link back in time to before everything went sideways. Link and Zelda don't accidentally open the door for Ganondorf this time, so they wait for him to make a move. Ganondorf gets impatient and he gets exposed, captured, and sentenced to death. The execution goes awry and he's sent into the Twilight Realm as a last resort. This Ganondorf is actually kind more arrogant than usual due to his belief that he got the Triforce by some special quality of his own, rather than actually working for it like WW Ganon did. TP Ganon also has no notable reaction to Link or the Master Sword, almost like he doesn't understand their significance, and shows no apparent desire to unite the Triforce for himself.

AniHawk

EmCeeGramr said:
WW Ganon is the Ganon that you fought and beat at the end of OoT. At some point he escaped from the Sacred Realm and began attacking Hyrule again, but because there was no Hero to stop him, the gods flooded Hyrule but kept Ganon sealed at the bottom of the ocean.

TP Ganon is the Ganondorf who never got a chance to take over Hyrule, the one that young Zelda is watching at the end of OoT when Adult Zelda sent Link back in time to before everything back. Link and Zelda don't accidentally open the door for Ganondorf this time, so they wait for him to make a move. Ganondorf gets impatient and he gets exposed, captured, and sentenced to death. The execution goes awry and he's sent into the Twilight Realm as a last resort.
then what happens

RagnarokX said:
Well, his reasons for hating the Hylians were justified, but the way he went about it was insane. Making his own people hate him, devastating the landscape. And when the King totally screwed up his plans he totally flipped his lid.

I'm hoping SS shows the Hylians screwing over the Gerudo.
I don't see that as insanity. He was a despot, through and through. I wouldn't call Stalin insane.

AniHawk said:
then what happens
king badass stabs ww ganon in the head

some jerk stabs tp neckbeard in the chest and something weird happens and there's probably an awkward scene where they had to pull the sword out and carry the body away

shadyspace said:
I don't see that as insanity. He was a despot, through and through. I wouldn't call Stalin insane.
i saw him as kinda nutty when before the king of hyrule fucks up his plans, ganon was all "I don't want to hurt you, I just want the all-powerful triforce" and then afterwards he kinda snaps and is all "okay fine the triforce is a piece of junk. i'm going to start hurting you now and i don't know when i'll stop"

AniHawk

EmCeeGramr said:
i saw him as kinda nutty when before the king of hyrule fucks up his plans, ganon was all "I don't want to hurt you, I just want the all-powerful triforce" and then afterwards he kinda snaps and is all "okay fine the triforce is a piece of junk. i'm going to start hurting you now and i don't know when i'll stop"

the stupidly cheap thing about that ending is that ganondorf makes his wish and then the king is all, NOOOOO, YOU HAVE TO TOUCH IT! YOU HAVE TO TOUCH IT OR IT DOESN'T WORK!!!

watershed

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
WW Ganon is the Ganon that you fought and beat at the end of OoT. At some point he escaped from the Sacred Realm and began attacking Hyrule again, but because there was no Hero to stop him, the gods flooded Hyrule but kept Ganon sealed at the bottom of the ocean. If you notice, they mentioned that when he broke out between OoT and WW, he immediately went after the Master Sword's sages, and during WW he's spending his time searching for the other Triforce pieces. He got beaten by the Master Sword and lost his chance to bring the three pieces together in OoT, so it makes sense that he'd do that in WW.

TP Ganon is the Ganondorf who never got a chance to take over Hyrule, the one that young Zelda is watching at the end of OoT when Adult Zelda sent Link back in time to before everything went sideways. Link and Zelda don't accidentally open the door for Ganondorf this time, so they wait for him to make a move. Ganondorf gets impatient and he gets exposed, captured, and sentenced to death. The execution goes awry and he's sent into the Twilight Realm as a last resort. This Ganondorf is actually kind more arrogant than usual due to his belief that he got the Triforce by some special quality of his own, rather than actually working for it like WW Ganon did. TP Ganon also has no notable reaction to Link or the Master Sword, almost like he doesn't understand their significance, and shows no apparent desire to unite the Triforce for himself.

I see. I never really noticed all these subtle hints and differences.

royalan

So I wonder...does this confirm that the split timeline is really Zelda's fault for sending Link back in time? That he always meant to stay in that timeline and sending him back somehow interrupted passing the "hero" lineage?

...bitch

watershed

Banned
This time line stuff has sparked my interest. I'm watching some WW cutscenes of ganon on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfHrzdg2mB0
This game is so amazing, the visuals in this cutscene are stunning and the tone is dark as hell.

Edit: also WW ganon might be my favorite incarnation, I love how tall and huge he is compared to Link and Zelda but also how he's not decked out like a warrior like TP Ganon is.

RagnarokX

artwalknoon said:
This time line stuff has sparked my interest. I'm watching some WW cutscenes of ganon on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfHrzdg2mB0
This game is so amazing, the visuals in this cutscene are stunning and the tone is dark as hell.

Edit: also WW ganon might be my favorite incarnation, I love how tall and huge he is compared to Link and Zelda but also how he's not decked out like a warrior like TP Ganon is.
WW Ganon truly is best Ganon.

Forkball

AniHawk said:
the stupidly cheap thing about that ending is that ganondorf makes his wish and then the king is all, NOOOOO, YOU HAVE TO TOUCH IT! YOU HAVE TO TOUCH IT OR IT DOESN'T WORK!!!
Fact: the goddesses are huge trolls. Or at least extremely incompetent. Why the hell would they even allow someone evil to have the triforce? Couldn't they have designed it so that if an evil person touches it, they turn to ash or something?

Also, flooding all of Hyrule to get rid of one guy was a terrible idea. Couldn't they just magically zap him? Or cause a huge earthquake under his feet? Seriously they don't know what the hell they're doing half the time.

My attitude regarding whether or not to include the older games in the timeline is whether or not there has been an explicit severing of continuities. As yet this has not happened and it would solve a lot of problems that people still argue about. So while I appreciate that it is a mess with them all together, I will not sever them until we know one way or the other.

I think that a LOT of the thornier problems (the ones posed by ALttP and TMC) are solved by allowing that 1) OoT->ALttP is no longer valid and 2) that FSA links the two games together. This is true regardless of whether or not you agree that the older games belong on the same continuity as the later games.

This leaves two continuities. One we know explicitly:

……………….WW/PH->ST
……………../
SS->OoT
……………..\
……………….MM->TP

And one that (I think) we can more-or-less piece together from in-game clues and periphery marketing material:

TMC->FS/FSA->ALttP/OoS/OoA/LA->LoZ->AoL

If you like them separate, I say keep them separate. If you like them together, you can tack the older games onto either branch and they should fit just as well. I’d favour the adult branch, because of TMC’s language and AoL’s town names referencing WW and OoT respectively, as well as the fact that keeping track of the Triforce is easier with this arrangement. If you favour the child branch, you have the placement of the Master Sword at the end of TP fitting better on that branch than at the end of WW.

Mind you, if you don't like the FS Saga connected to ALttP, it throws a huge spanner in the works.

royalan

Forkball said:
Fact: the goddesses are huge trolls. Or at least extremely incompetent. Why the hell would they even allow someone evil to have the triforce? Couldn't they have designed it so that if an evil person touches it, they turn to ash or something?

Also, flooding all of Hyrule to get rid of one guy was a terrible idea. Couldn't they just magically zap him? Or cause a huge earthquake under his feet? Seriously they don't know what the hell they're doing half the time.

This is the story that I most want told. Seriously, I'd jizz myself if Nintendo ever made the Zelda where Link didn't show up.

royalan said:
This is the story that I most want told. Seriously, I'd jizz myself if Nintendo ever made the Zelda where Link didn't show up.
They did. It's called Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland.

And the game implies that Tingle did jizz... inside a fairy princess, no less.

Big One

Banned
Gonna warn readers beforehand that this post is very nerdy, long, and full of shit about Zelda continuity both obscure and well-known. If you don't care about Zelda continuity, lore, and theorizing avoid at all costs. This post is about my own timeline that I've held onto for years now.

@royalan
That really depends if Nintendo feels that way or not. I think it's quite easy putting the games together in a timeline if you know exactly why they're there.

Ignoring the obvious 3D game timeline, let's look at every other title.

The Minish Cap -> Four Swords -> Four Swords Adventure

A Link to the Past -> Link's Awakening -> Legend of Zelda -> Adventure of Link

No inconsistencies here, both official timelines. Happens in sequence, with nothing contradictory or off-putting.

We can assume that Four Swords Adventure is the origin of Ganon obtaining the trident he gets in the classic games, so we can place the entire classic timeline after the Four Swords timeline.

The Minish Cap -> Four Swords -> Four Swords Adventure -> A Link to the Past -> Link's Awakening -> Legend of Zelda -> Adventure of Link

Looking at this timeline, still no contradictions or inconsistencies.

Now I'm about to get real nerdy here in explaining why the Imprisoning War/Ocarina of Time theory is fucking stupid. You can skip this part but I have to let it off my chest to establish that people need to shut the fuck up about this shit.

IMPRISONING WAR TANGENT

We can also assume that the Imprisoning War takes place in between Four Swords Adventure and A Link to the Past. In the bonus Four Swords dungeon in A Link to the Past (GBA), you enter a dungeon that has a broken entrance, with the Four Sword broken into four pieces. In Four Swords Adventure, Link seals Ganon into the Four Sword itself. It's commonly thought that Ganon broke out of the Four Sword (hence the damage), and reek havoc from the Dark World hence the Imprisoning War.

It's commonly thought that the Imprisoning War is Ocarina of Time, but there is no official word or evidence to suggest this aside from the script director and concept artist from saying it. No one important like Miyamoto, Aonuma, Koizumi, the actual script writers, or anyone has officially recognized this. I don't even think Nintendo has.

If they have, this isn't the case anymore. It's been retconned, and for good reason. The Imprisoning War is a story that takes place because Link didn't exist, so the sages had to seal Ganon into the Dark World. This is directly contradictory to what goes on in Ocarina of Time. For one it's never implied or said in Ocarina of Time that a war occured in the game itself. What happened in Ocarina of Time is that Ganondorf got ahold of the Triforce of Power, and destroyed Hyrule Castle/Hyrule Town from the inside rather than the outside (the walls are still up afterall). Every NPC in the entire game survived (except for the dead soldier, lulz), and no real war occurred.

Most people confuse the Imprisoning War for the Civil War that happened around 20 years ago before Ocarina of Time, but this isn't the case. The Imprisoning War was Ganon vs. Hyrule. The Civil War is Hyrule + Ganondorf + some others vs. everyone else. This is why Ganondorf was accepted by the King of Hyrule, cause Ganondorf and the Gerudo built a trust with the Royal Family. The result of the war was Hyrule getting united as a country.

The only real evidence is that Ocarina of Time is about the origin of Ganon rather than the Imprisoning War. See it for yourself: http://www.zeldalegends.net/files/text/z3translation/z3_manual_story.html. The original manual where all of this backstory comes from even separates Ganon's backstory from the Imprisoning War in segment, similar to how it seperates the creation story from the rest of everything else.

The Sacred Realm never returns back to normal. In Ocarina of Time, Ganondorf corrupts it when he breaks the Triforce into pieces. In the English version, it's called the "Evil Realm." The Japanese version calls it both "Hell" and "Dark World" which is used to describe the home of Ganon in all three of the classic games (Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link, A Link to the Past).

Another point about the Imprisoning War is that all of the sages were Hylian, which is shown by the fact that the descendants of the sages like Sahasrahla, Aginah, and the maidens from ALttP are all Hylian rather than Kokiri, Goron, Zora, Sheikah, Gerudo, etc. etc. The sealing done on Ganon is also very different. In Ocarina of Time, they sealed Ganon himself. In A Link to the Past, they sealed Ganon into something. They sealed him in the Sacred Realm, rather than sealing him completely to where he becomes immobile practically.

Also the Imprisoning War happens only a couple hundred years before A Link to the Past. it didn't happen very long ago, which doesn't really fit if you want to place the game after either Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, cause both of those take places hundreds of years after Ocarina of Time (Wind Waker probably takes place at least 1000 years after it at least).

IMPRISONING WAR TANGENT OVER

So the timeline is:

The Minish Cap -> Four Swords -> Four Swords Adventure -> Imprisoning War -> A Link to the Past -> Link's Awakening -> Legend of Zelda -> Adventure of Link

Then you have the Oracle games, which are probably considered canon to both The Minish Cap and Four Swords due to the inclusion of the seeds, and the fact that both Holodrum and Labrynna exist in The Minish Cap world.

Where exactly do they go? Well there's a lot of hints, even some lost in translation arguably. For one the Triforce is directly inside Hyrule Castle in the Oracle games, which means it takes place either after A Link to the Past, or after Adventure of Link. These are the only two games in the entire series where the Royal Family actually has ahold of the physical Triforce.

Argument for A Link to the Past: Ganon takes up the same appearance as he does in A Link to the Past. A lot of the bosses and NPCs are based off Link's Awakening stuff, directly taking up on that. Also Link sails off in a boat at the end that uses the same sprite as the boat in Link's Awakening, which may mean both Link's Awakening and Oracle share the same Link. Link's Awakening also shares the same Link with A Link to the Past.

Counterargument: Some people believe the Oracle games feature the same Link as both A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, but there's quite a bit of contradictions for this. For one the Oracle games establish that the Link in it is a brand new hero, and Zelda never even met him before in the game. Don't you think if he defeated like the worst evil known imaginable, he'd be recognized for it? He also looks a lot younger and it's not because of the art style cause adults and teenagers in the Oracles art look normal.

Argument for Adventure of Link: This is something I heard a while back on a Zelda forum translating information from various Zelda games that is not commonly known about, but I can't find the source right at the moment.

The mark Link gets on his hand, in the Japanese version, is referred to as a "mystery" which is the same wording used to describe Link's mark in Adventure of Link. The English version keeps it more in line with the mark from Ocarina of Time, but the Japanese version is a bit different. Why is this relevant? Because that mark comes from the King of Hyrule. In the backstory of Adventure of Link, the king of Hyrule placed a spell on the land that anyone that is born with that "mystery" mark is destined to get the Triforce basically. That's why in Adventure of Link, Link is going out of his way to get the Triforce of Courage. This means that possibly the only way for the Oracle games to fit on the timeline is to place them sometime after the king casts the spell on Hyrule, and after the Triforce is in the hands of the Royal Family.

Also the way Twinrova resurrects Ganon is the same way Dark Link tried to resurrect Ganon in Adventure of Link.

Both games are also spawns of an idea to remake Zelda 1 and Zelda 2. You can see some leftovers of that in both games.

Counterargument: The developers may not have the above in mind, since the game was full of references about various Zelda games. Then again, Flagship has shown to care about continuity with The Minish Cap, so why not?

Regardless of what you prefer there's only really two real choices here

Timeline A: The Minish Cap -> Four Swords -> Four Swords Adventure -> Imprisoning War -> A Link to the Past -> Link's Awakening/Oracles (choose where these go) -> Legend of Zelda -> Adventure of Link

Timeline B: The Minish Cap -> Four Swords -> Four Swords Adventure -> Imprisoning War -> A Link to the Past -> Link's Awakening -> Legend of Zelda -> Adventure of Link -> Oracle of Seasons/Ages

I prefer Timeline B, cause it makes the most sense to be to keep A Link to the Past -> Link's Awakening together, and I think spiritually Oracles follows Adventure of Link very nicely. Because of this I'm going to use it for this upcoming timeline I'm going to make.

Both of the above timelines are reasonable and contain no real contradictions. Placing Oracles in between A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening does, but otherwise it's perfectly fine.

Where does Sleeping Zelda take place? Well you have to remember that there's three different stories in the manual of Adventure of Link:

1. Sleeping Zelda. Prince gets influenced by an evil Magician, and puts Zelda to sleep forever. Every Zelda after that is named after her.
2. King builds temples across the world and puts Triforce of Courage in Great Temple. He casts a spell on Hyrule so someone could obtain a mark that says they're qualified to use the Triforce.
3. Present time. Impa is explaining to Link about stuff, and Link heads off for an adventure. Adventure of Link happens.

All three of these points can easily be separated into different events, making Sleeping Zelda still possibly the origin story for the Zelda name being inherited.

Sleeping Zelda -> The Minish Cap -> Four Swords -> Four Swords Adventure -> Imprisoning War -> A Link to the Past -> Link's Awakening -> King's Spell -> Legend of Zelda -> Adventure of Link -> Oracle of Seasons/Ages

Now that I have a solid 2D game timeline with no real contradictions or inconsistencies, let's go to the 3D Zelda timeline.

The official timeline.

/////////////Adult Timeline: Ocarina of Time -> The Wind Waker -> Phantom Hourglass -> Spirit Tracks
Skyward Sword -> Civil War ->
/////////////Child Timeline: Majora's Mask -> Twilight Princess

The Civil War happens before Ocarina of Time, I placed it there was a marker of something that happened in that timespan, but doesn't take place on the Adult Timeline.

The thing people tend to not realize about Ocarina of Time is that it never happens in the Child Timeline. The events of the game happen in a single timeline. The timeline split happened when Zelda sent Link back using the Ocarina of Time, in which Link was sent back in a timespan BEFORE Ocarina of Time. According to Aonuma, after this Link told Zelda about Ganondorf's potential actions, hence why he was locked up at Arbiter's Grounds in Twilight Princess. This is unfortunately the only real connection Twilight Princess has to Ocarina of Time, which tends to confuse a lot of people cause it's never made clear why Ganondorf is in jail in the backstory in-game.

The above timeline is official and not debatable.

How do the 2D games fall into place? This is hard to pinpoint exactly, but what we do know that Nintendo has only ever suggested in the entire series that there are only two timelines created from the split. This doesn't really leave much room for three-timeline theories, cause that completely misses the entire purpose of why the split timeline even exists in the first place. Creating a third timeline means one has to find a reason to why the timeline would split again, which there isn't any at this point.

Either the 2D timeline I created takes place after Wind Waker or Twilight Princess.

There are a lot of theories out there for both of them and I'm not going over them extensively.

Some say it's impossible for the towns in Adventure of Link to take place in the Child Timeline since those characters only existed in prominence in the Adult Timeline. However does that point really overweigh the fact that Wind Waker exists in a world where all of ancient Hyrule is destroyed and submerged underwater? How do you explain Spirit Tracks leading into the classic games? Do Hyrule people just abandoned train technology in favor of none?

Twilight Princess still exists in Old Hyrule, meaning it's most likely leads into a game like A Link to the Past. Cut out ending dialogue in Twilight Princess also has Ganondorf saying that bloodshed will be spilled in the battle between light and darkness, alluding to the Imprisoning War. Naturally, this is why I believe Twilight Princess takes place before A Link to the Past. However does this mean it also takes place before the Four Swords trilogy?

Either way, the gap in between the 3D and 2D timelines is just one huge plothole needed to be filled. One day Nintendo will do it, even if we get mixed opinions on it.

I think putting the 2D games on the Child Timeline is more acceptable. Twinrova is still alive on the Child Timeline, hence her appearance in Oracles. Old Hyrule exists in every one of these games. The Master Sword isn't underwater. There's a lot of little things like that, which place these games in a Child Timeline world rather than an Adult Timeline world.

/////////////Adult Timeline: Ocarina of Time -> The Wind Waker -> Phantom Hourglass -> Spirit Tracks
Skyward Sword -> Civil War ->
/////////////Child Timeline: Majora's Mask -> Twilight Princess -> The Minish Cap -> Four Swords -> Four Swords Adventure -> Imprisoning War -> A Link to the Past -> Link's Awakening -> King's Spell -> Legend of Zelda -> Adventure of Link -> Oracle of Seasons/Ages

Before anyone asks: MINISH CAP DOES NOT TAKE PLACE BEFORE OCARINA OF TIME OR SKYWARD SWORD

I made an essay on this shit, read it: http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/3928313-post1.html. To sum up my point in this post, The Minish Cap either takes place on the Child Timeline or before Ocarina of Time.

The problem with that? Well Aonuma basically confirmed that Skyward Sword is the only prequel to Ocarina of Time. To quote him: "This title [Skyward Sword] takes place before Ocarina of Time. If I said a certain title was ‘the first Zelda game,’ then that means that we can’t ever make a title that takes place before that! So for us to be able to add titles to the series, we have to have a way of putting titles before or after each other." He didn't say Skyward Sword takes place before The Minish Cap. If The Minish Cap takes place there, then why avoid mentioning it? It can't even take place before Skyward Sword either because there isn't even a Hyrule Kingdom for it to take place in.

This leaves one available option: Child Timeline. Yes there is a plothole on how Twilight Princess leads into The Minish Cap, but there's an even bigger plothole in how Spirit Tracks leads into The Minish Cap. Which do you prefer? Personally I'm just gonna use my head and choose the plothole that can be field without making up any implausible shit. But hey, you know, Nintendo.

I didn't include Sleeping Zelda yet if you haven't noticed. There isn't any contradictions to why it can't be the catalyst to why Zelda is named every generation. Yes the original name comes from Skyloft, as we all know in Skyward Sword that Zelda even had her name even before she was a princess. Maybe it's been retconed, but one point is clear from the manual: "Long ago, when Hyrule was still one country, a great King was said to have used the Triforce to maintain order in Hyrule." This sentence is talking about the timespan Sleeping Zelda takes place in. This means that it takes place in a very early form of Hyrule Kingdom, maybe near the beginning of it. For that I place Sleeping Zelda before Ocarina of Time, but after Skyward Sword.

////////////////////////////Adult Timeline: Ocarina of Time -> The Wind Waker -> Phantom Hourglass -> Spirit Tracks
Skyward Sword -> Sleeping Zelda -> Civil War ->
////////////////////////////Child Timeline: Majora's Mask -> Twilight Princess -> The Minish Cap -> Four Swords -> Four Swords Adventure -> Imprisoning War -> A Link to the Past -> Link's Awakening -> King's Spell -> Legend of Zelda -> Adventure of Link -> Oracle of Seasons/Ages

This is my personal, definitive timeline. Yes, there are tons of plotholes, but only in the sense that we aren't exactly clear how certain games fall in place. But with available information, one could easily come up with something. This timeline is simple, effective, and works perfectly fine for what it needs to be done. There is no real contradictions or inconsistencies here, which makes me believe that contradictions and inconsistencies are only due to misinformation among the fanbase.

I hope this post was informative for people who don't understand some basic concepts in Zelda continuity.

Xun

royalan said:
Playing a Zelda game as another hero would be superb.

royalan

Xun said:
Playing a Zelda game as another hero would be superb.

I imagine a rag tag group of Hyruleans struggling to bring the various peoples of Hyrule together against the insurmountable threat of a pissed off Ganondorf. At the end of the game it's not the goddesses who flood Hyrule, but your party as literally a last-ditch effort to delay Ganondorf's ascension to ultimate power.

It would be the darkest game Nintendo ever made.

watershed

Banned
Wow, that time line post is crazy and impressive. I never realized there was so much official story to the zelda games. Reading the sleeping zelda stuff was particularly interesting. But according to the timeline above for adult link spirit tracks leads to Skyward Sword? Is that right? That part confuses me.

RagnarokX

I just think The Minish Cap, and by extension all of the FS games, is too broken to put anywhere except possibly in a 2D-specific timeline. All this business with the four sword, vaati, the piccori, the light force; it's just too much.

Actually, thinking about it a little more, I could possibly place TMC after ST. You've gotten rid of the master sword and the triforce, which allows the light force and piccori sword to take over as the main legends. The palace guards in ST wear the hero's cloths, so presumably the Hero of Men could have been a knight who didn't wear headgear (caps were only for cadets and knights wore some kind of weird hat that wasn't the classic hat). Force gems are prevalent in New Hyrule as they are in the FS games. The only problem is the train tracks, but those can be explained away somehow; wouldn't be hard.

ALttP would obviously happen in the Child timeline.

So if I absolutely had to put all the games together, which I disagree with, I'd say this:

:::::::::::::WW->PH->ST->MC->FS->FSA->OoS
SS->OoT<
:::::::::::::MM->TP->ALttP->LA->OoA->Zelda->AoL

I think the sleeping Zelda story messes things up too, which is why I don't like putting any of the 2D games in the timeline. Oracle games could go almost anywhere.

artwalknoon said:
Wow, that time line post is crazy and impressive. I never realized there was so much official story to the zelda games. Reading the sleeping zelda stuff was particularly interesting. But according to the timeline above for adult link spirit tracks leads to Skyward Sword? Is that right? That part confuses me.
No. According to his timeline (I call it a variant of the child-heavy standard timeline), the adult branch ends with ST. SS and OoT are in the middle to denote that they originated both branches. You can represent it like this as well:

SS->OoT->WW->PH->ST
.............\
...............TP->(older games)

I prefer the older games on the adult timeline (adult-heavy standard timeline).

I don't know who owns www.zeldatimeline.com , but whoever did it follows the child-heavy standard timeline.
RagnarokX said:
I just think The Minish Cap, and by extension all of the FS games, is too broken to put anywhere except possibly in a 2D-specific timeline. All this business with the four sword, vaati, the piccori, the light force; it's just too much.

Actually, thinking about it a little more, I could possibly place TMC after ST. You've gotten rid of the master sword and the triforce, which allows the light force and piccori sword to take over as the main legends. The palace guards in ST wear the hero's cloths, so presumably the Hero of Men could have been a knight who didn't wear headgear (caps were only for cadets and knights wore some kind of weird hat that wasn't the classic hat). Force gems are prevalent in New Hyrule as they are in the FS games. The only problem is the train tracks, but those can be explained away somehow; wouldn't be hard.

ALttP would obviously happen in the Child timeline.

So if I absolutely had to put all the games together, which I disagree with, I'd say this:

:::::::::::::WW->PH->ST->MC->FS->FSA->OoS
SS->OoT<
:::::::::::::MM->TP->ALttP->LA->OoA->Zelda->AoL

I think the sleeping Zelda story messes things up too, which is why I don't like putting any of the 2D games in the timeline. Oracle games could go almost anywhere.
The trains disappearing after ST can be explained by the fact that the Lokomo left New Hyrule after you defeated Malladus. Remember that they were never built by the Hylians and were maintained by Lokomo magic.

You see the tracks start to disappear at the beginning of ST and it's up to Link and the Lokomo to restore them. No doubt they lasted a few decades to a century before disappearing again, but they could never be rebuilt (either because the Hylians didn't have the magic or the technical expertise to repalce them) and without tracks, the trains they had were useless.

RagnarokX

viciouskillersquirrel said:
The trains disappearing after ST can be explained by the fact that the Lokomo left New Hyrule after you defeated Malladus. Remember that they were never built by the Hylians and were maintained by Lokomo magic.

You see the tracks start to disappear at the beginning of ST and it's up to Link and the Lokomo to restore them. No doubt they lasted a few decades to a century before disappearing again, but they could never be rebuilt (either because the Hylians didn't have the magic or the technical expertise to repalce them) and without tracks, the trains they had were useless.
ST can end with Link still being a conductor. The could have been destroyed by wars and stuff.

RagnarokX said:
ST can end with Link still being a conductor. The could have been destroyed by wars and stuff.
That is the ending I chose and that is why I allowed for a few decades to a century for them to disappear again. Regardless of how fast or slow they disappear or fall into disrepair, they cannot be rebuilt without Lokomo help, which neatly explains why you do not see them in any other game (except briefly in TMC and FS, but those are minecarts).

Sagitario

EatChildren said:
This week, on 'EatChildren plays through Twilight Princess in Dolphin'...

Wrapped up the Palace of Twilight tonight. I think it is an excellent dungeon. Its quite short, but having the dungeon separated into three main sections makes it flow really well. No tedious backtracking. I liked the Phantom Zant battles, and killing off the Zant head statues things to make key chests appear is cool. Most of all I really love the escape sequences with the Twilight energy ball thing, ominous floating hand following close behind. It's a pretty neat dungeon and quite a lot of fun.

The final Zant battle is excellent too. I love how it shifts through various boss battles from the adventure, while mixing them up with some Zant style twists. The fact it makes good use of multiple items and keeps you on your toes is good. But, like all bosses, its too easy.

Screenies and other such poop can be found here.

They look awesome!
I was wondering if you could take some hi-res pics of this part of the store (the statue/painting behind the bow):
gK3es.jpg

watershed

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
No. According to his timeline (I call it a variant of the child-heavy standard timeline), the adult branch ends with ST. SS and OoT are in the middle to denote that they originated both branches. You can represent it like this as well:

SS->OoT->WW->PH->ST
.............\
...............TP->(older games)

I prefer the older games on the adult timeline (adult-heavy standard timeline).
I see. I figured SS would be the beginning of the timeline given how Nintendo have talked about it. But there are also tracks, mine carts at least which hints at trains in SS. That's odd seeing as how tracks don't appear again until ST.

artwalknoon said:
I see. I figured SS would be the beginning of the timeline given how Nintendo have talked about it. But there are also tracks, mine carts at least which hints at trains in SS. That's odd seeing as how tracks don't appear again until ST.
The tracks in ST are a one-off, given that they were explicitly created magically. Minecarts, on the other hand, are built-to-purpose by miners. You might get artifacts, but the presence of tracks in a game in and of itself does not imply a connection to ST.
shadyspace said:
So how many different Hyrules do we think there have been? More than 2?
Just two, I think. OoT Hyrule and ST Hyrule. Three, if you count OoT Hyule in both branches to be separate places.

EDIT: Oh yeah, three if you don't think the 2D games and the 3D games are in the same timeline and four if you think the FS saga is its own thing separate from that again.

watershed

Banned
I wonder how far in the past SS is given that the majority of the races we see don't appear again in the Zelda series. Maybe they're all gonna be involved in some huge war that wipes them out or scatters them to the winds.

artwalknoon said:
I wonder how far in the past SS is given that the majority of the races we see don't appear again in the Zelda series. Maybe they're all gonna be involved in some huge war that wipes them out or scatters them to the winds.
Gorons Last Forever.

Top Bottom