• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

Big One

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
The trains disappearing after ST can be explained by the fact that the Lokomo left New Hyrule after you defeated Malladus. Remember that they were never built by the Hylians and were maintained by Lokomo magic.

You see the tracks start to disappear at the beginning of ST and it's up to Link and the Lokomo to restore them. No doubt they lasted a few decades to a century before disappearing again, but they could never be rebuilt (either because the Hylians didn't have the magic or the technical expertise to repalce them) and without tracks, the trains they had were useless.
That's irrelevant cause the tracks still stay at the end of the game. Link also can choose to stay as an engineer rather than a warrior. There's also no reason for Hylians to not replace the Spirit Tracks if they do happen to disappear by any means necessary, cause their whole entire life is based around travelling by train in Spirit Tracks. There's also references to modern technology in the game like movies.

Big One said:
That's irrelevant cause the tracks still stay at the end of the game. Link also can choose to stay as an engineer rather than a warrior. There's also no reason for Hylians to not replace the Spirit Tracks if they do happen to disappear by any means necessary, cause their whole entire life is based around travelling by train in Spirit Tracks. There's also references to modern technology in the game like movies.
Oh, I agree - there's every motivation for them to replace the Spirit Tracks over time. What they may have lacked were resources and expertise to do so, especially if they disappeared very quickly.

Medieval Romans never rebuilt the aqueducts their forbears built because 1) they didn't know how and 2) their leaders lacked the will to.

watershed

Banned
So can someone explain to me the lineage and hierarchy of the gods and goddesses of the Zelda series? For example in this video of WW where the hylian is presented in English we see the 3 spirit/god/animal things starting with Valoo the dragon, I think the Great Deku Tree, then the giant fish. Are they like servants to the gods? Because in WW you also collect the 3 elements of the same goddesses from OoT iirc, the 3 that created hyrule in the first place. Then we have the new(?) goddesses from SS. Its all very interesting to me but I don't get any of it.

artwalknoon said:
So can someone explain to me the lineage and hierarchy of the gods and goddesses of the Zelda series? For example in this video of WW where the hylian is presented in English we see the 3 spirit/god/animal things starting with Valoo the dragon, I think the Great Deku Tree, then the giant fish. Are they like servants to the gods? Because in WW you also collect the 3 elements of the same goddesses from OoT iirc, the 3 that created hyrule in the first place. Then we have the new(?) goddesses from SS. Its all very interesting to me but I don't get any of it.
The 3 goddesses are the chief deities and most of the others are lesser gods and demi-gods, like Mercury/Hermes or Hercules/Heracles.

So yes, in a way, Valoo, Jabun, the Great Deku Tree et al are servants of those three goddesses or guardians of a specific region or people. Think of how Shinto works, and put three creator goddesses at the top of everything.

There are other religions you see in the Zelda universe in different places and time periods though. The cult of Majora, for instance, the Spirits of Good, and even (in LoZ/AoL) a version of Christianity.

RagnarokX

Big One said:
Technology can be lost. Hell it happened multiple times in real life. The Dark Ages got their name for a reason. Skyward Sword has technology that doesn't exist in OoT.

Big One said:
As I already said it's asinine to even assume that there can't be a prequel before Ocarina of Time. I've already made a small post in response to this, but I can't find it in the mess of the thread at the moment.

The problem with your argument is that you assume too many things are linked. For example, where is there a need to retcon anything in Ocarina of Time to fit Twilight Princess? There is simply none cause there is nothing in Twilight Princess that contradicts what we have in Ocarina of Time. Anything that can be said to be contradictory can be easily explained and resolved quite simply.

With Skyward Sword you're assuming it won't cover anything from the past games, despite Aonuma making it very clear that the game will be about the founding of Hyrule and will make us understand a lot about Ocarina of Time (which was said in some of the Iwata's Ask I believe). There is absolutely no reason to believe Skyward Sword won't cover stuff like the Dark Intelopers (and maybe even the "Dark Tribe"), the creation of the Master Sword with the help of the sages, the founding of Hyrule, the Sheikah tribe, etc. by this point which is already a multitude of plot points that are completely necessary to be covered in some form or another. None of these would be extensively covered unless it's in a prequel.

Hyrule having a pre-history also makes sense due to the multitude of ruins throughout the series. Even Ocarina of Time had these. Where did all of these pyramids come from? Where did all of these temples come from? All of those things have meaning in some form or another and imply history before Hyrule Kingdom.

1) I am not being absolute here. There can be a prequel to Ocarina of Time, but it had better serve something significant. Personally, a game explaining more about Ganon would be excellent. And if Skyward Sword turns out to be about the Civil War prior to Ocarina of Time, that would be an interesting tale. I just don't personally need a story about the forging of the Master Sword.

2) Oh yes there are things that are contradicted! See below for my full explanation.

3) If Skyward Sword covers some of the TP stuff, it will sit better with me. The backstory of Twilight Princess' "Interlopers" could use some more explanation, and if Skyward Sword tells the story of all that, that's cool. However, the whole "evil spewing out from a fissure in the earth" line doesn't fall in line with where the Twili, Interlopers, or "Dark Tribe" originated from according to what was said in Twilight Princess.

4) Yea, there are ancient landmarks in Hyrule, so there is precedent for time to have passed. I just did not believe there really was anything game worthy that couldn't have been covered in a cutscene/flashback.

RagnarokX said:
First, TSA, Skyward Sword does not leave room open for infinite prequels as you fear and even if it did why on earth do you care? NoA's translation of the intro reads like it's talking to the gamer about the past and the countless generations includes generations beyond Skyward Sword. The intro sums up
the time between the beginning of the universe and the first appearance of evil. No other game has done that. OoT talked about the creation of the universe in passing and the master sword just always gets glossed over.

"It's the master sword! It was made to fight evil!"
"What evil? Who made it? Ganon didn't exist before OoT."
"Um... it's the master sword! It was made to fight evil!"

I'd say the intro feels poorly translated, but that's about it.
1) There are currently holes in the Zelda timeline. Logic would dictate that if Nintendo cared about the timeline, they would try to do something ot make more sense of those holes. In particular, helping us more clearly place the Capcom games along with FSA, and the 2D games. Instead, they've been making sequels (happy they continued a storyline, but it didn't help us anymore with the predicaments that exist), and probably making a prequel that won't help us fit any of the games any better than we know how to now. Even if SS covers what Big One speculated, it doesn't help us fit any other games anywhere. TP is still a sequel to OoT. However, it COULD explain some things that might help us piece together other games- I don't discount that.

2) Actually, the Master Sword was forged without an actual evil presence attacking Hyrule or threatening the balance. The logical assumption, since there is no mention of any such attack when they commanded the creation of these keys on the Sacred Realm, was that they forsaw evil ones seeking the Triforce. If an evil force did rise up to try to steal the Triforce prior to there being safeguards, then this is both news to all of us and a contradiction to established texts.

According to the Japanese ALttP texts:

The Triforce itself cannot judge between good and evil. That is because only the gods can do that. However, it could not be assumed that only a good person would get their hands on the Triforce. For that reason, the people of Hyrule were told by the gods to make something that would repulse any evil that may kidnap the Triforce: the blade of evil's bane.

Only in the NOA version does it say the Master Sword was forged in response to Ganon, and if that were true, then Skyward Sword HAS to have Ganon and HE is the reason the sword was forged in the first place. However, this is NOA fan fiction not consistent with the original source material.

One curious line from ALttP, though...

The Sages first had to search for the existence of the Master Sword and a hero to use it.

Perhaps this will now reference events in Skyward Sword. Also, in an unused line in OoT, the Master Sword is referred to as the "Sword of Time".

The reason I say that the Temple of Time HAS to be in Skyward Sword is because of lines from Ocarina of Time.

The three goddesses hid the Triforce containing the power of the gods somewhere in Hyrule. The power to grant the wish of the one who holds the Triforce in his hands. If someone with a righteous heart makes a wish, it will lead Hyrule to a golden age of prosperity....If someone with an evil mind has his wish granted, the world will be consumed by evil...That is what has been told.... So, the ancient Sages built the Temple of Time to protect the Triforce from evil ones.

The Goddesses, not the Goddess mentioned in the Skyward Sword intro, hid the Triforce somewhere in Hyrule (always assumed to be the Sacred Realm, but SS might clarify that). They knew immediately how DANGEROUS it would be to leave it out in the open and unprotected, so they had the ancient sages build the Temple of Time to protect the Triforce. So we've established the Temple of Time was built before any evil rose up to vie for the relic. Then Ocarina of Time says this.

That's right... The Temple of Time is the entrance through which you can enter the Sacred Realm from our world. But the entrance is sealed with a stone wall called the Door of Time. And, in order to open the door, it is said that you need to collect three Spiritual Stones. And another thing you need...is the treasure that the Royal Family keeps along with this legend...The Master Sword--the evil-destroying sword that you pulled out of the Pedestal of Time--was the final key to the Sacred Realm.

The Master Sword was the final key to something built to protect the Triforce in advance of anyone trying to steal it. That means the Master Sword was forged BEFORE any evil rose up. Both ALttP AND Ocarina of Time SUPPORT THAT! That means Skyward Sword is already a CONTRADICTION in my book. And because the Temple of Time and the Master Sword are directly linked in their creation and purpose (guarding the Triforce), if Skyward Sword is about the Master Sword being forged, then the TEMPLE OF TIME HAS TO BE THERE! And BEFORE THE MASTER SWORD takes its role as the final key on the Sacred Realm.

Now you're starting to see why I'm getting frustrated with this prequel nonsense. It's complicating matters. And Nintendo will turn around and say "ALttP and OoT's recounts of the Master Sword were obscured by the mists of time and thus not entirely accurate. They are legends afterall!".

It seriously couldn't take more than two games to clarify the holes we have right now, and give us a real working timeline. And Nintendo saying they don't want to reveal the timeline because it would force them into ... whatever ... is a load of crap. YOU CAN KEEP MAKING SEQUELS AND DO WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT - Nothing is preventing you from doing anything in a sequel at the end of the timeline that wouldn't contradict anything you previously did if you just thought it out a bit! How hard is it for Nintendo to grasp this.

Boney said:
I've always wondered why in WW he's Ganon and not Ganondorf.

Ganon is simply the nickname for Ganondorf. They are one and the same. Some fans, not surprisingly so, have drawn the conclusion over the years that Ganon and Ganondorf are not one and the same. The most common misrepresentation is that Ganon is his monster form, and Ganondorf is his Gerudo form.

Big One

Banned
TSA none of those quotes say or imply that there wasn't any evil before the forging of the Master Sword. All it says is that both it and the Sacred Realm was made to prevent evil from getting the Triforce. It's completely possible for evil to exist, hence the creation of the Master Sword. None of the games suggest that no one attempted to breach the Sacred Realm before Ganondorf either; matter of fact the intelopers backstory imply people did.

watershed

Banned
So did the Gerudo first appear in OoT and that's where the whole 1 male every 100 years thing comes from or have they made appearances in past Zeldas? Its interesting that at one point both the Gerudo and the Sheikah swore to serve the Hylian king and then how things turned out from there.

Big One said:
TSA none of those quotes say or imply that there wasn't any evil before the forging of the Master Sword. All it says is that both it and the Sacred Realm was made to prevent evil from getting the Triforce. It's completely possible for evil to exist, hence the creation of the Master Sword. None of the games suggest that no one attempted to breach the Sacred Realm before Ganondorf either; matter of fact the intelopers backstory imply people did.

I don't know how you're failing to see this. It clearly says in the ALttP quote that the Goddesses told the people to forge the Master Sword because the Triforce can't discern good from evil. It does not say they forged it in response to a threat. Why is there no mention of an evil force attacking? The Temple of Time was constructed for the same reason. It is more of a stretch for your statement. That all-knowing beings somehow did not forsee evil ones trying to eventually get their hands on the Triforce and allowed them to make their move is more plausible than them creating these safe guards in advance because all-knowing beings would be prudent? Just apply Occam's Razor.

We do know that the sword that becomes the Master Sword existed long before the events of Skyward Sword and served some significant purpose.

RagnarokX

artwalknoon said:
So did the Gerudo first appear in OoT and that's where the whole 1 male every 100 years thing comes from or have they made appearances in past Zeldas? Its interesting that at one point both the Gerudo and the Sheikah swore to serve the Hylian king and then how things turned out from there.
Yes, the race of Gerudos was first introduced in OoT, but if you want to get technical the word "gerudo" has been in Zelda and associated with deserts since Zelda II.

http://www.zeldawiki.org/Geldarm

http://www.zeldawiki.org/Geldman

Because in Japanese Ge l d = Ge ru do

TSA said:
I don't know how you're failing to see this. It clearly says in the ALttP quote that the Goddesses told the people to forge the Master Sword because the Triforce can't discern good from evil. It does not say they forged it in response to a threat. Why is there no mention of an evil force attacking? The Temple of Time was constructed for the same reason. It is more of a stretch for your statement. That all-knowing beings somehow did not forsee evil ones trying to eventually get their hands on the Triforce and allowed them to make their move is more plausible than them creating these safe guards in advance because all-knowing beings would be prudent? Just apply Occam's Razor.
I think Occam's razor would have you shave off ALttP's explanation, since ALttP's explanation also says that there was nobody before ALttP who could wield the master sword so the sages had to seal Ganon themselves as a stopgap.

RagnarokX said:
Yes, the race of Gerudos was first introduced in OoT, but if you want to get technical the word "gerudo" has been in Zelda and associated with deserts since Zelda II.

http://www.zeldawiki.org/Geldarm

http://www.zeldawiki.org/Geldman

Because in Japanese Ge l d = Ge ru do

I think Occam's razor would have you shave off ALttP's explanation, since ALttP's explanation also says that there was nobody before ALttP who could wield the master sword so the sages had to seal Ganon themselves as a stopgap.

I think it would be cool if the Geldman were the spirits of the slaughtered Gerudos described in Twilight Princess haunting their lands and trying to exact revenge.

I don't think you get the context of the line, "The Sages first had to search for the existence of the Master Sword and a hero to use it. However, the situation was urgent, and Ganon's malice was enclosing on the royal palace.". This is referring to the "Seal War" time period, not the time period when the Master Sword was actually forged. During the Seal War, the Sages of that time did not know where the Master Sword was nor could find a hero to even wield it.

Big One

Banned
TSA said:
The problem with your argument is that you're saying, ''If something isn't there, then it doesn't exist'' without actually knowing if it isn't there or not. Using occam's razor is completely acceptable, but those quotes are still open for the events of Skyward Sword to take place. There are no contradictions based of the information we have about SS, and saying that those quotes say evil didn't exist before the Master Sword is factually wrong on every level possible. This is why people called you names in the other thread: You're simply too worried about misinformation and complaining about things we don't know anything about.

Big One said:
The problem with your argument is that you're saying, ''If something isn't there, then it doesn't exist'' without actually knowing if it isn't there or not. Using occam's razor is completely acceptable, but those quotes are still open for the events of Skyward Sword to take place. There are no contradictions based of the information we have about SS, and saying that those quotes say evil didn't exist before the Master Sword is factually wrong on every level possible. This is why people called you names in the other thread: You're simply too worried about misinformation and complaining about things we don't know anything about.

Because if "evil exists" in this context, it means whoever is writing the story is a complete fool who neglects simple logic. Which is totally possible, I guess. Why would all-knowing beings be so stupid? Not to mention, at least my statements are based on evidence of something actually mentioned. You're defense is based on something not stated. And let them call me names (I have backbone, but there are also rules on this forum for civil debate). They probably follow the same line of thinking that rationalizes the Star Wars prequels as being good movies that have no major flaws in their narrative structure. Delusional to the end I guess?

I also failed to include a line from the ALttP text regarding why the people forged the Triforce:

However, it could not be assumed that only a good person would get their hands on the Triforce.

Again, more evidence that it was merely precautionary measures, and not a direct response to a threat.

watershed

Banned
This is a question that probably no one has an answer to but how do the Oocca fit into the Zelda time line. You'd think they'd be related to SS because they also live in a city in the sky. They have human like faces but are otherwise chicken like. Also their city is kinda high tech which suggests they have been around for a while. This zelda backstory stuff is crazy! I'm browsing the zelda wiki reading all about the Sheikah and stuff that I never really paid much attention to before.

RagnarokX

artwalknoon said:
This is a question that probably no one has an answer to but how do the Oocca fit into the Zelda time line. You'd think they'd be related to SS because they also live in a city in the sky. They have human like faces but are otherwise chicken like. Also their city is kinda high tech which suggests they have been around for a while. This zelda backstory stuff is crazy! I'm browsing the zelda wiki reading all about the Sheikah and stuff that I never really paid much attention to before.
M.C. Escher: Another World
muisdd.jpg

We're hoping SS sheds some light on the Oocca. The legends in TP say that the Oocca created Hyrule and built the City in the Sky afterward and kept in touch with the Hylians for a while. It could be that the Oocca are an evolved form of Skyloftians that didn't migrate to the surface.

artwalknoon said:

More than likely, if there is more explanation to where they come from, it will be revealed in Skyward Sword. Otherwise, there's only what's stated in the Twilight Princess text.

watershed

Banned
^Yeah I've seen that painting.

I read this from the zelda wiki:
Shad, following in his father's footsteps, has devoted his life to studying the Oocca.[3] According to him, the Oocca are the closest race to the gods, closer even than Hylians, whom the Oocca themselves are said to have created.[4] After the sky beings created the Hylians, they simultaneously formed their own city: a city that floats in the heavens which can only be reached via a Sky Cannon.[5]

Maybe the Oocca or their ancestors are that final race from SS that we haven't seen yet or don't know about yet. The ones who have those statues with big hands and rounded bodies. They seem to be involved with the mine carts and also seem to have advanced technology of some sort. I don't quite get the "created the hylians" part but maybe they are responsible for building the city and architecture and stuff. Then they move to the sky or evolve such that their arms/hands become wings.

RagnarokX

artwalknoon said:
^Yeah I've seen that painting.

I read this from the zelda wiki:

Maybe the Oocca or their ancestors are that final race from SS that we haven't seen yet or don't know about yet. The ones who have those statues with big hands and rounded bodies. They seem to be involved with the mine carts and also seem to have advanced technology of some sort. I don't quite get the "created the hylians" part but maybe they are responsible for building the city and architecture and stuff. Then they move to the sky or evolve such that their arms/hands become wings.
That's a mistranslation. It was supposed to say "created Hyrule"

watershed

Banned
RagnarokX said:
That's a mistranslation. It was supposed to say "created Hyrule"
That makes more sense. I think I've been bit by the Zelda timeline bug. All of this is very interesting to me for some reason. I was just reading about the sheikah symbol and the tear representing their fall from grace in an act of betrayal of the royal family but the zelda wiki says that's not canon. I remember someone on Gaf making a big deal about it before but if it doesn't count then that explains why in SS the symbol already has the tear.

Big One

Banned
TSA said:
Because if "evil exists" in this context, it means whoever is writing the story is a complete fool who neglects simple logic. Which is totally possible, I guess. Why would all-knowing beings be so stupid? Not to mention, at least my statements are based on evidence of something actually mentioned. You're defense is based on something not stated.
How so? My defense is that the quotes you posted aren't saying what you think they say. Matter of fact, that isn't even a defense, it's a factual statement. To say otherwise and continue to insist you're right is downright delusional no matter what context you take those quotes in. It has nothing to do with questioning the narrative structure, but those quotes simply do not even give an ounce of suggestion that there was no evil before the Master Sword.

TSA said:
I also failed to include a line from the ALttP text regarding why the people forged the Triforce:

However, it could not be assumed that only a good person would get their hands on the Triforce.

Again, more evidence that it was merely precautionary measures, and not a direct response to a threat.
Yeah but neither of those aspects are mutually exclusive. Both of those could co-exist as reasons for creating the Master Sword. None of the quotes you posted imply either way for the most part if you read the text more carefully than you have been

watershed

Banned
It also seems like Ghirahim and his people (if there are more of them) are the interlopers talked about in TP. A tribe of magicians who want power. I knew SS was a prequel to OoT but now thinking about the possible connections between SS, OoT, and TP makes my head spin.

Tyeforce

TSA said:
Ganon is simply the nickname for Ganondorf. They are one and the same. Some fans, not surprisingly so, have drawn the conclusion over the years that Ganon and Ganondorf are not one and the same. The most common misrepresentation is that Ganon is his monster form, and Ganondorf is his Gerudo form.
To be fair, there's really no real proof of that either way. No game has ever specifically stated that Ganon and Ganondorf are one in the same, nor that they are separate entities. There is evidence for both sides, but nothing concrete. Sometimes the names are used interchangeably, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are the same being.

Boney said:
I've always wondered why in WW he's Ganon and not Ganondorf.
Ganondorf refers to himself as Ganondorf in TWW. That said, Ganon is an accepted nickname of his human form--Ganon's Castle in OOT is called so before Ganondorf ever transforms.

That said, Ganon is also the only name he goes by in his beast form. He is never referred to as Ganondorf when he's a beast outside of discussing his backstory.

So Ganon can be used interchangeably as both a nickname for the man and as the specific name for the beast.

Andrew J.

The tale of the Imprisoning War is pretty clearly a a highly, perhaps deliberately, corrupted version of the events of Ocarina of Time. Most likely the official historians made Hyrule's army the ones who defeated Ganon in order to make the government look better.

Tyeforce said:
To be fair, there's really no real proof of that either way. No game has ever specifically stated that Ganon and Ganondorf are one in the same, nor that they are separate entities. There is evidence for both sides, but nothing concrete. Sometimes the names are used interchangeably, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are the same being.

There is evidence his name is interchangeable.
There is no evidence his name is tied to a specific form.

This is starting to sound like Big One. I love that you're playing devil's advocate, but there is no evidence to make the argument stick more over the other one.

Big One said:
How so? My defense is that the quotes you posted aren't saying what you think they say. Matter of fact, that isn't even a defense, it's a factual statement. To say otherwise and continue to insist you're right is downright delusional no matter what context you take those quotes in. It has nothing to do with questioning the narrative structure, but those quotes simply do not even give an ounce of suggestion that there was no evil before the Master Sword.

Yeah but neither of those aspects are mutually exclusive. Both of those could co-exist as reasons for creating the Master Sword. None of the quotes you posted imply either way for the most part if you read the text more carefully than you have been

Then I'm just going to end it here since this argument will drag on without someone else's perspective by saying I think my reading of them is the most logical. Additionally, there is nothing out there statement wise to support your argument. Your defense is based on the absence of wording that would exclude your possibility. Existence of evidence is always a stronger case than the absence of it, but the current evidence doesn't exclude it. You're basically saying that my evidence is circumstantial. I recognize your theory could be true, but based on the existing evidence, I see it as a very weak argument.

effzee

I am so lost and behind on the timeline stuff so I apologize in advance for asking what I am about to. I don't remember the endings of the games too well but how exactly is TP a sequel to MM? Or part of the child Link timeline from the end of OOT?

Berordn

It's indirectly a sequel to MM, because it follows on the child timeline set in OoT. There's not many references to MM in TP so it's not a big deal anyway, save the possibility that the Skull Kid in TP is somehow related to the one from OoT/MM.

Mind you TP is really only a sequel to OoT because interviews said that the Ganondorf in the game is the same one from OoT. You could make the connection yourself but it's not immediately obvious.

Well, it can't come after the adult timeline due to Ganon was stuck in the Sacred Realm at the end of Ocarina of Time, and when he gets out in the back story of the Wind Waker no hero comes to save Hyrule, which leads to the Gods drowning Hyrule to seal Ganon away under the Great Sea. So there isn't any room to place Twilight Princess in between those two games.

effzee

Chet Rippo said:
Well, it can't come after the adult timeline due to Ganon was stuck in the Sacred Realm at the end of Ocarina of Time, and when he gets out in the back story of the Wind Waker no hero comes to save Hyrule, which leads to the Gods drowning Hyrule to seal Ganon away under the Great Sea. So there isn't any room to place Twilight Princess in between those two games.

Oh I understand that much, I thought there was some specific mention in TP that I missed out on.

Synless

I saw a movie that had characters from WW talking about the hero of time and o thought I would talk about it here. It has been many years since I've played WW and I noticed that they kept asking King Baron whether he had found the Hero of Time yet and whether the boy (Link) had any ties to him. The two things I was wondering about were this. First the Baron says Link has no ties to the Hero of Time and that he hasn't found him yet. Does this imply that Ocarina of Times Link's bloodline had died out unlike Zelda's? Second when they say they have been searching for the Hero of Time, are they implying that he was supposed to show up in there time or that one of his lineage (seemingly a lost lineage) was supposed to show up in the place of this new Link?

effzee said:
Oh I understand that much, I thought there was some specific mention in TP that I missed out on.
Giving the nature of how the ending of Ocarina of Time plays out, with Link sent back in time to the point before he met Zelda, none of his exploits in Ocarina of Time happened in the child timeline. So since Ocarina of Time Link never pulls the Master Sword out in the child timeline, Ganondorf never invades the Sacred Realm. Which then leads to his fate at being captured and trapped in the Twilight Realm before the events of Twilight Princess.

Synless said:
I saw a movie that had characters from WW talking about the hero of time and o thought I would talk about it here. It has been many years since I've played WW and I noticed that they kept asking King Baron whether he had found the Hero of Time yet and whether the boy (Link) had any ties to him. The two things I was wondering about were this. First the Baron says Link has no ties to the Hero of Time and that he hasn't found him yet. Does this imply that Ocarina of Times Link's bloodline had died out unlike Zelda's? Second when they say they have been searching for the Hero of Time, are they implying that he was supposed to show up in there time or that one of his lineage (seemingly a lost lineage) was supposed to show up in the place of this new Link?
The Hero of Time disappears from the Adult time line at the end of Ocarina of Time, so he leaves no bloodline.

effzee

Chet Rippo said:
Giving the nature of how the ending of Ocarina of Time plays out, with Link sent back in time to the point before he met Zelda, none of his exploits in Ocarina of Time happened in the child timeline. So since Ocarina of Time Link never pulls the Master Sword out in the child timeline, Ganondorf never invades the Sacred Realm. Which then leads to his fate at being captured and trapped in the Twilight Realm before the events of Twilight Princess.

Got it thank!

The Hero of Time disappears from the Adult time line at the end of Ocarina of Time, so he leaves no bloodline.

And by disappears you mean sent back in time. So in turn sending Link back to his childhood doomed Hyrule to be flooded?

Synless

Chet Rippo said:

So basically Links whole struggle in OoT was a waste because Ganondorf was going to be caught anyways?

RagnarokX

Professor Beef said:
Yep. Although to be fair, nobody thought Ganondorf would break out.
OoT Princess Zelda screwed over three entire universes because of her assumptions.

Adult timeline: Zelda decides Link should collect the spiritual stones and open the door of time instead of tattling on Ganon to the King. Hyrule gets destroyed, but Link cleans up the mess and Hyrule gets rebuilt. Zelda's decision to send Link back in time proves disastrous as Ganon breaks free and Hyrule gets flood and 100s of years later completely destroyed forever.

Child timeline: Telling the King about Ganon proves to be the correct course of action, as Hyrule easily captures and executes him. However, due to adult timeline Zelda sending Link back with the triforce, Ganon gets the triforce too and he wreaks havoc on the Twilight Realm and Hyrule.

Varjet

RagnarokX said:
Adult timeline: Zelda decides Link should collect the spiritual stones and open the door of time instead of tattling on Ganon to the King.
But Zelda did tell her father about Ganondorf, he just didn't believe her.

Varjet said:
But Zelda did tell her father about Ganondorf, he just didn't believe her.
I always assumed the reason the King of Hyrule believed Link in the Child Timeline as opposed to the Adult was because Link had foreknowledge that proved his case, i.e. he made statements of events prior to them happening, they would indeed unfold like he had said, proving his assertment of Ganondorf's intent to betray the Hyrulean Court.

RagnarokX

shadyspace said:
I always assumed the reason the King of Hyrule believed Link in the Child Timeline as opposed to the Adult was because Link had foreknowledge that proved his case, i.e. he made statements of events prior to them happening, they would indeed unfold like he had said, proving his assertment of Ganondorf's intent to betray the Hyrulean Court.
Plus he and Zelda had triforce pieces.

shadyspace said:
Either that, or flashing the Triforce of Courage.

So I'm replaying Zelda 2 (ambassador download) and I am not sure if it is just the simplistic graphics letting me fill in the blanks with my imagination, but I really dig the atmosphere in this game. Maybe it’s because I have the art Terada did for ALttP and LA in my head, but the whole thing just seems creepy and slightly f*cked up.

So far, I’ve reached the Hidden Palace. I haven’t actually been completing any of the dungeons. In fact, I’ve made sure to leave the bosses alone. I’ve just been ducking in, raiding the dungeon of its item and moving on (it really helps to grind your attack up to level 5 in the first dungeon). That way, I can pick off the bosses at my leisure.

Does anybody know what the story is with the Terada artwork? It seems as though it’s official, but also not official.

Top Bottom