• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Just 3 more days till I get this:

KAqs5.jpg

Mistle

Tricky I Shadow said:
Just 3 more days till I get this:

http://i.imgur.com/KAqs5.jpg[./IMG][/QUOTE]:D

I'm off to get it tomorrow hopefully. My local EB were actually expecting it on Friday, but it didn't arrive, so tomorrow should be the day.

Mistle said:
:D

I'm off to get it tomorrow hopefully. My local EB were actually expecting it on Friday, but it didn't arrive, so tomorrow should be the day.

Cool! Hopefully my EB will get it in early too. I gotta say, I’m more excited than I thought I would be to play this. Really looking forward to it!

Diprosalic said:
is that an official edition? and it comes in that box?

It’s exclusive to EB Australia, and yes it comes in the box.

My copy has been waiting for me to go pick it up since yesterday, but I can't be arsed :/

I work from home, so unless I have multiple reasons to go drive into the city I usually put things off until I can do them in batch.

Tomorrow it will surely be mine.

Naked Snake said:
My copy has been waiting for me to go pick it up since yesterday, but I can't be arsed :/

I work from home, so unless I have multiple reasons to go drive into the city I usually put things off until I can do them in batch.

Tomorrow it will surely be mine.

uyVbU.jpg

Kerrby

Banned
I'm sure this has been asked on every page but what's the 3D like?

Is it like things popping out or is it depth? Can someone explain it to me thanks.

Kerrby said:
I'm sure this has been asked on every page but what's the 3D like?

Is it like things popping out or is it depth? Can someone explain it to me thanks.

depth. It's like looking into a small box where little characters go around and do shit together

Chao

Anasui Kishibe said:
depth. It's like looking into a small box where little characters go around and do shit together

But there are things that tricks your brain making you believe they're coming out of the screen too, like particles, tree branches and that kind of stuff.

Kerrby

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:

Is it implemented well? The only 3D I think I've ever seen was Spy Kids 3D about 10 years ago and that had things popping out of the screen and whatnot.

Kerrby said:
Is it implemented well? The only 3D I think I've ever seen was Spy Kids 3D about 10 years ago and that had things popping out of the screen and whatnot.

from what I've played (SSFIV, Pilotwings, Nintendogs), OOT looks like the best use of 3D on the 3DS to date. It increases aliasing but other than that it's quite good

Kerrby

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
from what I've played (SSFIV, Pilotwings, Nintendogs), OOT looks like the best use of 3D on the 3DS to date. It increases aliasing but other than that it's quite good

Thanks for the answers, not having used a 3DS I think I'm more confused than before haha.

Hopefully when I get one next month I'll understand a bit better.

Chao said:
But there are things that tricks your brain making you believe they're coming out of the screen too, like particles, tree branches and that kind of stuff.
Yeah, every time Link holds an item above his head, it's positioned halfway in, halfway out of the screen.

Kerrby said:
Thanks for the answers, not having used a 3DS I think I'm more confused than before haha.

Hopefully when I get one next month I'll understand a bit better.

If your local game shop doesn't have a public kiosk, they may still let you play it if you ask to try it.

The Lamp

Kerrby said:

Just got a 3DS. Maybe I'm still on the high but this is the coolest 3D ever. I'm utterly sold on the concept.

Also I'm weird. The 3DS works better for me with my reading glasses off. Then again I have a weird astigmatism where one eye is quite farsighted and the other is more nearsighted.

Neo Child

Banned
The Lamp said:
Just got a 3DS. Maybe I'm still on the high but this is the coolest 3D ever. I'm utterly sold on the concept.

Nah it's totally spectacular... when on Hyrule Field in night time use the first person view and move the 3DS to look at the moon as it moves up/down... phenominal. Or running into the sunset... looks stunning!

Busaiku

So I finished this last night at about 27 hours.

Started up Master Quest, and I've gotta say, the main difficulty comes from the mirror.
I dunno why, it was the same for Donkey Kong Country Returns.

kiryogi

Banned
Just started Master Quest as well. What the hell @ the new Deku Tree.

Gohma eggs all over the place and Big Deku Babas. Urgh. I find myself actually having to harvest hearts a lot D:

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This game has made me do a complete 180 on the analogue nub. I went from loving how it felt to now strongly disliking it. Maybe its my system, but it still feels far too stiff. I wish it had more grip as well, something like the N64 and GCN analogue sticks. My thumb constantly slips off.

Maybe I'm just too greasy. Greasy greasy man.

Master Quest sounds insane :D

EatChildren said:
This game has made me do a complete 180 on the analogue nub. I went from loving how it felt to now strongly disliking it. Maybe its my system, but it still feels far too stiff. I wish it had more grip as well, something like the N64 and GCN analogue sticks. My thumb constantly slips off.

same here my hands are greasy as hell and slips off the nub... I kept messing up so much on the Epona race and the run up that curved wall to get the Hammer was murder for me.

Finally won Epona by using the end on my t-shirt to cover my thumb made for a nice grip and the control felt much better

Holmes

EatChildren said:

Sort of agree with you. Although the only time I really had a problem with it was trying to catch a big fish with Adult Link. Near the end, it was just the edge of my fingernail holding on the the nub.

Cranzor

I think I give up on Master Quest. I would play it if it wasn't mirrored, but mirroring it for the sake of being hard is dumb to me. Oh well, the regular game is amazing anyway.

EatChildren said:

I feel the opposite. Absolutely hated the slider when playing SSFIV and Pilotwings, now I adore it playing OOT

still think a stick woulda been better, but whatcha gonna do

_dd_

EatChildren said:

U just take a cloth to my thumb and the pad and I'm good to go for a while. Makes a huge difference.

Roto13

Maybe if you guys would wash your hands from time to time, they wouldn't be so gross and sweaty and greasy.
Dedication Through Light said:
Thats why I initially thought Sheik was female, however, the game, this OoT referred to Sheik as male. I was always under the impression she was a she, but the character designs look different and I assume OoT is canon while that design is Sakurai's vision of Sheik. I never read any of the character data for Sheik in those series since I hadnt played Zelda before.
Since theres alternate dimension stuff going on in the game Sheik could honestly have been anyone. The sages exist in dual dimensions, and know of Link in both present and past tense, its kind of boggling. Unless, Im thinking too into it.
If it wasn't clear before that you were playing dumb.
BY2K said:
What the hell happened to the Water Temple in Master Quest!? It's supposed to be harder, not easier!
Ha ha ha ha ha, yeah, I noticed that the first time I played it. Master Quest Water Temple is a lot easier. I guess it couldn't be any harder. xP
Smiles and Cries said:
spoiler video of how easy Volvagia is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eumgH9Srq3U
Why is he hanging off the edge of the stage, dodging non-existent rocks, when he should be pelting Volvagia with arrows? What a n00b.

-PXG-

I'm saving MQ for a long trip on August. Plus, I'm not really in the mood to play the game again when I just beat it.

OT:

The Zora egg quest in MM is so stupid. If you haven't done any side quests, you'll only have one bottle at that point in the game. Luckily I did the Goron race (to get the gold dust) so I had two. Backtracking through the Gerudo Fortress and Pinnacle Rock was a big pain in the ass. I Finally managed to get to Great Bay Temple by the night of the second day. Let's just hope the flow/current mechanic of this temple doesn't give me a stroke.

If memory serves me right (I haven't played this since it first came out in 2000) you get the ice arrows in Great Bay.

Ultima_5

-PXG- said:
I'm saving MQ for a long trip on August. Plus, I'm not really in the mood to play the game again when I just beat it.

OT:

The Zora egg quest in MM is so stupid. If you haven't done any side quests, you'll only have one bottle at that point in the game. Luckily I did the Goron race (to get the gold dust) so I had two. Backtracking through the Gerudo Fortress and Pinnacle Rock was a big pain in the ass. I Finally managed to get to Great Bay Temple by the night of the second day. Let's just hope the flow/current mechanic of this temple doesn't give me a stroke.

If memory serves me right (I haven't played this since it first came out in 2000) you get the ice arrows in Great Bay.

That sounds right. Great Bay temple is pretty easy. Majora's mask's weak point was getting the gold sword and the part with the zora eggs. Still my favorite game

-PXG- said:
The Zora egg quest in MM is so stupid. If you haven't done any side quests, you'll only have one bottle at that point in the game.

Whoever finds themselves in that situation either has done it on purpose or just deserves it anyway.

Tricky I Shadow said:
It’s exclusive to EB Australia, and yes it comes in the box.

k. cool.

i just want to know if its officially from Nintendo or if EB Australia just packs the game and the ocarina in this box. see i collect those rare zelda boxes and if its just a repackage from EB i don't care.

oracles2.jpg

like this one for example.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Diprosalic said:
i just want to know if its officially from Nintendo or if EB Australia just packs the game and the ocarina in this box. see i collect those rare zelda boxes and if its just a repackage from EB i don't care.

I'm 99% sure that the this collectors edition was put together by EB themselves, not Nintendo.

So when you play Master Quest, are all the Skulltulas and Heart Pieces and stuff in different places too, so like even though I 100%ed the regular game, I should do it again?

Roto13

Edag Plata said:
So when you play Master Quest, are all the Skulltulas and Heart Pieces and stuff in different places too, so like even though I 100%ed the regular game, I should do it again?
The only things that are different about Master Quest are the dungeons, the fact that the world is mirrored, and the fact that enemies do double damage. So things you find in the dungeons will be moved around but things you find outside of the dungeons will be where they've always been.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Edag Plata said:

Hearts are at the same place. Gold Skulltulas are in different places in dungeons, but not in the overworld.

RaidenZR

Damn, I'm stuck in the Shadow Temple. I ran out of keys and there seems to be nowhere else I can physically get to. I know I'm missing something but I haven't played OoT since 1998/99. And this usually happens to me somewhere once every Zelda game.

Exper GAF: What am I probably overlooking? It's driving me nuts. I even looked at a guide after over an hour of searching and I couldn't see any missteps.

I feel so pathetic.

Edit: Nevermind. Figured it out. God, 2 hours of lapping this dungeon has driven me insane... arg!

Roto13

RaidenZR said:
Damn, I'm stuck in the Shadow Temple. I ran out of keys and there seems to be nowhere else I can physically get to. I know I'm missing something but I haven't played OoT since 1998/99. And this usually happens to me somewhere once every Zelda game.

Exper GAF: What am I probably overlooking? It's driving me nuts. I even looked at a guide after over an hour of searching and I couldn't see any missteps.

I feel so pathetic.
Do you have the map and compass? Hunt down every chest you see on the map. You can access them all as soon as you get to the rooms they're in. There's one key inside a giant flaming skull you have to throw a bomb into, which wouldn't show up on the map. I don't remember if it's in the lone skull or the set of three, though. :p

EDIT: Yay, waste of thinking. What key were you missing?

Kerrby said:
Nowadays most movie directors and game producers know that popping things out of the screen at the audience should be used sparingly. Use it too much and the 3D becomes a gimmick, and distracts from the movie/game. Zelda does pop things out, but only once in a while, and you may not even notice it when it does.

The 3DS 3D will be far better than the red/blue 3D Spy Kids 3D used - 3DS 3D is on par with modern 3D movies, which just work a lot better than those old anaglyph glasses. Of course, like movies, how "3D" it looks differs per game, but Zelda is one of the most extreme 3D games on the system (along with Pilotwings and Rayman).

=HERO=

Neo Member
RaidenZR said:

I feel so pathetic.

There's literally no way to "run out of keys" in regular OoT
or in MQ where they even give you more than you need sometimes
, so you're definitely missing something.
Where are you in this walkthrough, are you at a point where you are supposed to have a key. Use Lens of Truth on everything, if it comes to that.

Futureman

Just beat the Water Temple. I thought you needed the
blue tunic
for that temple? Guess not as I just beat it.

I feel like I'm flying through the game. Thought I'd have Epona at this point as well, but every time I go to the Lon Lon the dude just asks me if I want to ride around for 10 rupees, not if I want to race.

Futureman said:
blue tunic

I feel like I'm flying through the game. Thought I'd have Epona at this point as well, but every time I go to the Lon Lon the dude just asks me if I want to ride around for 10 rupees, not if I want to race.
Clue: you could have Epona at this point if you wished.

Futureman said:
blue tunic

Hint, not word-for-word spoiler:
You got to pay the fee then do something to trigger him asking if you wanna race.

Is there anything I should do before turning into an adult? I know I can go back to child version but is there anything I can't do once I've turned into an adult for the first time?

RaidenZR

Roto13 said:
EDIT: Yay, waste of thinking. What key were you missing?

I appreciate it.
I was missing the stupid invisible chest in the room preceding the boat room. I was looking in every room with the Lens of Truth but I somehow overlooked it about 5 times. Sonuva!

=HERO= said:
There's literally no way to "run out of keys" in regular OoT[/spoiler]

I know this.

But thanks for the quick responses all the same. I just got stuck in one of those lapsing behavioral moments and kept proceeding the same exact way in each room.

MicH

Futureman said:
ok, what about the
blue tunic
? It's just optional? or necessary at some later point?
If you
completed the Ice Cavern and unfroze King Zora you would have received the blue tunic as a gift

Just finished the Water Temple myself. It's the very first time I've made it past the transition to Adult Link (yeah, I never got very far back in the day), and I must admit that the Water Temple didn't cause me to rage. It went pretty smoothly, however I always miss the
torches that need to be lit in every dungeon
. I just don't get that clue :p

Outstanding game so far, though.

Top Bottom