• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Medalion

Banned
I can't tell if the pic is too dark but it would help if I could make out the Deku Tree's face otherwise it's just a huge tree with a door at the base

Good try though

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's pretty annoying that in the Spirit Temple (Master Quest version)
after you return to the Temple as Adult Link, you activate a rusted switch using the Hammer, then you need to go back AGAIN as a child to get to the chest containing a key the switch gives you, then you go back once more as Adult. They make you do the whole Child-Adult thing TWICE just for ONE key.

Ugh...

wrowa

Medalion said:
I can't tell if the pic is too dark but it would help if I could make out the Deku Tree's face otherwise it's just a huge tree with a door at the base

Good try though
His tree has a face. :)

Leezard

BY2K said:
after you return to the Temple as Adult Link, you activate a rusted switch using the Hammer, then you need to go back AGAIN as a child to get to the chest containing a key the switch gives you, then you go back once more as Adult. They make you do the whole Child-Adult thing TWICE just for ONE key.

Ugh...
What, I don't remember ever having to do that for the temple.
You should be able to reach all required chests as Adult Link.
Unless my memory is completely ruined, that is...

Phatcorns

Quick semi random question. Does anyone know if the Virtual Console version of Ocarina and Majora are like the gamecube versions with sharper visuals? Or do they faithfully emulate the N64 version?

florn

Neo Member
cacophony said:
What's the best strategy for
shadow/dark link
?

I beat him by using the jump slash thing, which for some reason he doesn't seem to block or do anything about.
Hammer and din's fire(I think)
works if you want to beat him completely unresisted.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Leezard said:
What, I don't remember ever having to do that for the temple.
You should be able to reach all required chests as Adult Link.
Unless my memory is completely ruined, that is...

The key is not mandatory if you use another one at the right door, but since I used it to get to one Gold Skulltula (a very well protected one at that) I was forced to find the other (the one I was complaining about) to finish the Temple.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
thecouncil said:
...without using guides? how many hours did you spend this week playing this game?

Guides? I must have 100%'ed OoT at least 10 times during the N64 years.
I have the game practically memorized, though I admit that my memories were fogged up just enough to make this particular run much less efficient than my prime N64 runs back when I was much younger.

Just checked my activity log:
Play time: 37:00 (exactly!)
Time played: 12
Avg. play time: 3:05
First played: 6/17/2011 (street-date breaking mom 'n pop shops ftw)
Last played: 6/26/2011

Pretty sure that on the N64, my fastest 100% runs were around the 20 hour mark.
Also, it bears mentioning that I played through most of this while distracted, so I had plenty of 'dead spots' where the game was running but I wasn't really doing anything as I watched a movie, ate a meal, or whatever.

Insaniac

Phatcorns said:
Quick semi random question. Does anyone know if the Virtual Console version of Ocarina and Majora are like the gamecube versions with sharper visuals? Or do they faithfully emulate the N64 version?

they faithfully emulate the n64 versions with all the glitches. the only difference I think is that parts that would suffer from slowdown aren't as noticable in the VC version

Phatcorns said:
I know MM on VC isn't plagued with the technical problems of the GCN re-release.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
florn said:
I beat him by using the jump slash thing, which for some reason he doesn't seem to block or do anything about.
Hammer and din's fire(I think)
works if you want to beat him completely unresisted.

Even locked on, he's very susceptible to side slashes from the Master Sword.

Leezard

BY2K said:
The key is not mandatory if you use another one at the right door, but since I used it to get to one Gold Skulltula (a very well protected one at that) I was forced to find the other (the one I was complaining about) to finish the Temple.
Ah, I see. I only got every Skulltula in one of my playthroughs.

shahkur

So, I gotta say this game oozes with SO MUCH charm, it's unbelievable. My first time playing through the game. I havent used any guides so far so fingers crossed. I've become
adult link and just got the hookshot
. Next up, my first temple. I really hope that the master quest is actually fresh and a totally different experience. Also, is it possible for me to get the horse yet?

shahkur said:
So, I gotta say this game oozes with SO MUCH charm, it's unbelievable. My first time playing through the game. I havent used any guides so far so fingers crossed. I've become
. Next up, my first temple. I really hope that the master quest is actually fresh and a totally different experience. Also, is it possible for me to get the horse yet?

Yes, as long as you
learned Epona's song as a kid

I forgot how good this damn game is. I played it when it came out in 1998, and I tried playing the Master Quest on GameCube but stopped at Jabu Jabu. I just finished the Forest Temple this afternoon. The 3D is really crazy impressive. I keep it around 60-70% (I crank it to 100% for cut-scenes) and the game just looks stunning.

I've basically forgotten almost everything about this game, so I'm basically going through it blind. I remember general stuff, like where to find items and such, but as far as the dungeons, I don't remember anything. I just did the Forest Temple and it was basically a new dungeon to me. I remembered the final battle and the
twisted hall-ways
but other than that I forgot everything, including how to solve all the puzzles.

Seda

shahkur said:

Yes,
Did you talk to Epona/Malon as a child? Else you'll need to wait til after the forest temple.

Master Quest is only different inside the dungeons, but it's still worth it, imo.

Pie Lord

So... has Navi told anyone else that they need to stop playing?

What the line in the original game, or was it something they added here? Honestly can't remember.

Pie Lord said:

What the line in the original game, or was it something they added here? Honestly can't remember.

I'm pretty sure that's new. Nintendo has been on a kick about not playing for overly long amounts of time for a few years now. Every since the Wii, I think. There are always warnings and messages and stuff that start popping up after you've been playing for a few hours reminding you to take a break.

I think they are trying to cover their asses legally in case somebody sues for some stupid insane reason like their Wii gave them tendon damage or their 3DS made them blind or some other stupid shit. They can pull up the play records and say "well you played it for 12 hours straight. We warned you like 30 times in that one session not to play for so long, so shut the fuck up and pay our legal fees for this bullshit suit."

Seda

StrikerObi said:
I'm pretty sure that's new. Nintendo has been on a kick about not playing for overly long amounts of time for a few years now. Every since the Wii, I think. There are always warnings and messages and stuff that start popping up after you've been playing for a few hours reminding you to take a break.

I think they are trying to cover their asses legally in case somebody sues for some stupid insane reason like their Wii gave them tendon damage or their 3DS made them blind or some other stupid shit. They can pull up the play records and say "well you played it for 12 hours straight. We warned you like 30 times in that one session not to play for so long, so shut the fuck up and pay our legal fees for this bullshit suit."

Yep seen it a bunch of times. Annoying but tbh, smart on their part.

neoism

BY2K said:

Ugh...
@__@

The most surprising them about this game to me is how insanely good the gyro-view stuff works. I used to have so much trouble with that stupid shooting gallery in Kakariko village. I nailed it almost instantly in this play-through because of the gyro-controls. As others have said, it's difficult to be pin-point accurate with the circle pad. It's great for just looking around, but when you need to fine-tune your aim it can be tricky (especially with small or fast-moving targets). But the gyro-controls work perfect. When I need to aim at something I find myself using the circle pad to get the aim generally where I want it and then, if necessary, moving the 3DS a tad to get my aim perfect. I thought this was going to be a throw-away feature but it turns out to be one of my favorite little additions to the game.

shahkur

Seda said:
Master Quest is only different inside the dungeons, but it's still worth it, imo.

When you say different, how different is that? Are the rooms different? Harder enemies? Different puzzles? If so, I sure as hell am playing through it again on Master quest. And yes, I did speak to the girl in the ranch as a kid but IIRC nothing of importance happened. The mean guy was inside the barn place and the girl outside with the young horse. I guess I should go back and check again.

wrowa

Insaniac said:
they faithfully emulate the n64 versions with all the glitches. the only difference I think is that parts that would suffer from slowdown aren't as noticable in the VC version
Nope. The Wii displays N64 games at a higher resolution, which make them look much sharper.

In other words: It looks like the GCN version. So the correct answer to his question is: yes.

florn

Neo Member
Pie Lord said:

StrikerObi said:

I'd just like to point out a bit from this interview:

http://earthboundcentral.com/2011/04/shigesato-itoi-discusses-mother-4/
NAGATA: Your dad calls you when you play for over two hours straight. He says, “Don’t you think you should take a break now?”

IWATA: I was dumbfounded when I heard you were putting that into the game. I was like, “What are you thinking?!” Here we have a player who’s fully immersed in the game, and then we say, “Hey, why don’t you quit?”

Of course, before Earthbound, this had never happened as far as I know, and I thought it was pretty funny.

But now it's in every game and not as a joke, but it makes this quote pretty hilarious.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
shahkur said:
When you say different, how different is that? Are the rooms different? Harder enemies? Different puzzles? If so, I sure as hell am playing through it again on Master quest. And yes, I did speak to the girl in the ranch as a kid but IIRC nothing of importance happened. The mean guy was inside the barn place and the girl outside with the young horse. I guess I should go back and check again.

I'd like to know this as well.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
shahkur said:
When you say different, how different is that? Are the rooms different? Harder enemies? Different puzzles? If so, I sure as hell am playing through it again on Master quest.

The layout of the rooms are the same, but the puzzles are completely different. Based on what I done in MQ so far, you don't even progress through the dungeon in the same order as before. And some of it is just pure dickery. Things like going into a room that locks, fighting a bunch of enemies, and only getting a blue rupee as the reward. It's annoying as hell, but I find myself laughing at the same time.

The enemies are the same as before, but they deal double damage, which sucks in early stages. I walked into a gold skultula once in the Duke Tree and almost died. What's mostly different is that enemies may not be in the same location. It's quite often that a room is filled with way more baddies than before, or sometimes they may just be something totally different.

Overall, I'm having a blast with MQ. The dungeons are quite challenging (though I keep reading that the Water Temple is easier). They might as well be brand new dungeons in my opinion. And everything being mirrored just adds to the mindfuck.

I just beat the water temple and I'm blown away that this is considered one of the most difficult Zelda dungeons. Seems pretty damn straight-forward to me. I heard the colored lines signifying which doors lead to the signs that affect the water level are new, and I suppose that helped a bit, but I really don't see how turns a pretty breezy dungeon into an infamously difficult level.

I can't imagine having to go through it pausing every time you need to switch boots. It's pretty amazing that the game shipped without someone intervening and making the boots a C-button item.

I guess I'm doing the Shadow Temple now. I went to the village and saw the cutscene where
Sheik gets thrown around by that shadow thing. I never played the game much as a kid, but I had friends who beat it and had a Tips N Tricks or some other similar magazine with a walkthrough, so I vaguely remember that I have to turn back into a kid and go to the bottom of the well. It's kind of odd though, the game really doesn't seem to explain at all that that's what you're supposed to do. In fact, so far as I know the game doesn't even tell you that it's possible to turn back into a kid. Randomly going back to the Temple of Time and then going to the bottom of the well seems like much harder a "puzzle" than anything in the Water Temple, if I didn't already know what to do I'm pretty sure I'd just assume that I was supposed to find a new item or something to break through the wall.

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
shahkur said:
Master Quest completely rearranges puzzles and enemies. The puzzles are all new and some require clever use of game mechanics in order to solve them. The only things that remain the same are the bosses, special weapon, and the general layout of the dungeons (but everything is mirrored).

rhino4evr

dr3upmushroom said:
I just beat the water temple and I'm blown away that this is considered one of the most difficult Zelda dungeons. Seems pretty damn straight-forward to me. I heard the colored lines signifying which doors lead to the signs that affect the water level are new, and I suppose that helped a bit, but I really don't see how turns a pretty breezy dungeon into an infamously difficult level.

I can't imagine having to go through it pausing every time you need to switch boots. It's pretty amazing that the game shipped without someone intervening and making the boots a C-button item.

I guess I'm doing the Shadow Temple now. I went to the village and saw the cutscene where
Sheik gets thrown around by that shadow thing. I never played the game much as a kid, but I had friends who beat it and had a Tips N Tricks or some other similar magazine with a walkthrough, so I vaguely remember that I have to turn back into a kid and go to the bottom of the well. It's kind of odd though, the game really doesn't seem to explain at all that that's what you're supposed to do. In fact, so far as I know the game doesn't even tell you that it's possible to turn back into a kid. Randomly going back to the Temple of Time and then going to the bottom of the well seems like much harder a "puzzle" than anything in the Water Temple, if I didn't already know what to do I'm pretty sure I'd just assume that I was supposed to find a new item or something to break through the wall.
Trust me. Having to pause every few minutes
Was super annoying and completely broke
Up the flow of the dungeon. I had very little trouble finishing this time. However there are certain rooms that were a lot easier.

For example: the room with the two dragon heads and the whirlpool was Really annoying in the original game. In the remake it was no trouble at all.

I'm really enjoying working my way through this game.

The reworked graphics and the 3D really shine.

This should really open the door for other remastered titles. (laughs)

shahkur

Thank you Mastershotgun and Isoku. That cleared up the confusion. Really looking forward to it now. If it really is a whole new experience, then every Zelda game should have a Master Quest.

olimpia84

Just got the spiritual stone of fire. So far, my memory surprisingly remembers where most of the stuff is and where to go next.

What do I have to do to use the silver gauntlets? i cant lift up anything heavy. glitch? also, got to the inside of ganons castle and kinda lost interest in the game. How odd.

Celine

MindCollizion said:
What do I have to do to use the silver gauntlets? i cant lift up anything heavy. glitch? also, got to the inside of ganons castle and kinda lost interest in the game. How odd.
If memory serves me right:
have you tried to lift the huge rock column that is placed just outside Ganondorf/Hyrule castle in the future ? That fairy should give you a nice reward.

Doomsayer

-PXG- said:
I'm saving MQ for a long trip on August. Plus, I'm not really in the mood to play the game again when I just beat it.

OT:

The Zora egg quest in MM is so stupid. If you haven't done any side quests, you'll only have one bottle at that point in the game. Luckily I did the Goron race (to get the gold dust) so I had two. Backtracking through the Gerudo Fortress and Pinnacle Rock was a big pain in the ass. I Finally managed to get to Great Bay Temple by the night of the second day. Let's just hope the flow/current mechanic of this temple doesn't give me a stroke.

If memory serves me right (I haven't played this since it first came out in 2000) you get the ice arrows in Great Bay.

Whoa man, I had 4 bottles at that point already. Then there is a Owl statue right outside of the Laboratory. I think Majora's Mask may be better then OoT, only because its more difficult and it is quite possibly the least forgiving game of all time.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Celine said:
If memory serves me right:
have you tried to lift the huge rock column that is placed just outside Ganondorf/Hyrule castle in the future ? That fairy should give you a nice reward.

You need the gold gauntlets for that.

rhino4evr

Any point to the Gold Scale. I got it without really trying..but I have no idea what purpose it holds

Also I still only have 3 bottles and I just finished the water temple. Am I forgetting something?

TheExodu5

Banned
I've settled on 2D mode. It just takes too much effort to get 3D working at all times (especially with the gyro aiming), and the AA in 2D mode is nice.

Anyways, just beat the Dodongo dungeon. It's my first time through this game, and I'm having a blast.

MoxManiac

MasterShotgun said:
The layout of the rooms are the same, but the puzzles are completely different. Based on what I done in MQ so far, you don't even progress through the dungeon in the same order as before. And some of it is just pure dickery. Things like going into a room that locks, fighting a bunch of enemies, and only getting a blue rupee as the reward. It's annoying as hell, but I find myself laughing at the same time.

The enemies are the same as before, but they deal double damage, which sucks in early stages. I walked into a gold skultula once in the Duke Tree and almost died. What's mostly different is that enemies may not be in the same location. It's quite often that a room is filled with way more baddies than before, or sometimes they may just be something totally different.

Overall, I'm having a blast with MQ. The dungeons are quite challenging (though I keep reading that the Water Temple is easier). They might as well be brand new dungeons in my opinion. And everything being mirrored just adds to the mindfuck.

Duke Tree haha. I just got weird flashes of Duke Nukem and OoT together.

Top Bottom