• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

EatChildren said:
This game has made me do a complete 180 on the analogue nub. I went from loving how it felt to now strongly disliking it. Maybe its my system, but it still feels far too stiff. I wish it had more grip as well, something like the N64 and GCN analogue sticks. My thumb constantly slips off.

Maybe I'm just too greasy. Greasy greasy man.

Really? I love it. I was afraid that since it's that gummy material for the nub that it would wear down easily which would be really frustrating but it has enough grip to grab it without wearing it down. I've actually liked it a lot.

RaidenZR

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Really? I love it. I was afraid that since it's that gummy material for the nub that it would wear down easily which would be really frustrating but it has enough grip to grab it without wearing it down. I've actually liked it a lot.

I posted earlier about the circle pad, and I'm with EatChildren. I can't stand it. It doesn't allow you to be as granular with the micro-nudges that any typical analog stick affords. A very small movement with a stick would provide an equally tiny movement through Link on the N64. With the circle pad, you have to mush outward until it 'registers'. This was apparent anytime I was trying to angle and face particular fish in the fishing pond, walking and then turning on a beam, or thin strip a land. I've had an equally poor time trying to do the spin attack on the fly in dire scenarios. It really sucks. I've fallen more times than I can believe even when walking slow and have not been able to perform a spin attack in those emergency situations.

I love the compact-nature of the circle pad, and I thought the sliding analog idea might work well (and I'm glad Nintendo tried something new in terms of control mechanisms) but after thorough use it's not a desirable alternative.

Love the circle pad. Got both record-setting fish (Kid and Adult) my first tries, beaten the Bombchu game every time I've played it (enough to get every reward it cycles through) without hitting a single obstacle, ran through the Epona races while glancing back and forth from the 3DS and a New Yorker article, etc, etc. Can't fathom people struggling with it.

Out of curiosity, those who dislike the nub, have you played on a PSP? They seem similar in idea for controls and was wondering if you see much of a difference between the two.

Edit: I haven't gotten to a part I can fish yet so maybe my mind will change then but so far I like it.

WillyFive

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Out of curiosity, those who dislike the nub, have you played on a PSP? They seem similar in idea for controls and was wondering if you see much of a difference between the two.

I prefer the Circle Pad to the PSP nub. The Circle Pad is comfortable and functional, the PSP one was not.

What's with this stupid dog that can follow you everywhere at Hyrule Castle Town?

I was playing Bombchu and a few times I release my Bombchu the it hit the stupid dog...

I know there is a side quest for him I just cannot be bothered to find his owner

Roto13

Bombchu bowling is always a nightmare when the second target is off to the side. In every version of the game. It just sucks in general. It's not a good litmus test for analog control inputs.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Yeah, the nub is better by a mile.

I mean, its not terrible, but I really hate that there's no grip on it, and mine still feels too stiff for my liking. If it had more grip I'd probably enjoy it more.

WillyFive

Smiles and Cries said:
What's with this stupid dog that can follow you everywhere at Hyrule Castle Town?

I was playing Bombchu and a few times I release my Bombchu the it hit the stupid dog...

I know there is a side quest for him I just cannot be bothered to find his owner

Then you got a new pet.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Glorious remake. Finished it early this morning.
All heart containers, all upgrades, all side quests, all golden skulltullas, etc. 100%, baby.

Even finally spoke to the dying soldier for the first time. Never knew about him until a year or so ago.

Roto13 said:
The only things that are different about Master Quest are the dungeons, the fact that the world is mirrored, and the fact that enemies do double damage. So things you find in the dungeons will be moved around but things you find outside of the dungeons will be where they've always been.

BY2K said:
Hearts are at the same place. Gold Skulltulas are in different places in dungeons, but not in the overworld.

So I can get away with not collecting everything this time and still feeling complete? :p

EatChildren said:

I mean, its not terrible, but I really hate that there's no grip on it, and mine still feels too stiff for my liking. If it had more grip I'd probably enjoy it more.

No, I know. I was just curious since the PSP is somewhat similar by also having a nub.

Mejilan said:
All heart containers, all upgrades, all side quests, all golden skulltullas, etc. 100%, baby.

Even finally spoke to the dying soldier for the first time. Never knew about him until a year or so ago.

never even knew about him... such a dark little touch and tie-in to that cutscene

he is a bit out of the way

olimpia84

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Edit: I haven't gotten to a part I can fish yet so maybe my mind will change then but so far I like it.

The 3DS nub is way better than the PSP one, imo.

McNum

And it's over. Took me 19 hours and 36 minutes. Still missing a few upgrades and over half the Skulltulas, but the day is saved.

That was fun, it's Ocarina of Time, and probably the best version of it so far. While the 3D is a no-go for me, the game still looked pretty good. I looks like I remember Ocarina of Time, except I know well enough that I remember wrong.

I'm happy to see that some of my stupid strategies against some bosses still works. I love my stragetgy for (final boss)
Ganon. First phase: Roll between his legs and throw a Deku Nut. Repeat 10 times. Then do the same with the Master Sword in phase two. I just love that the mostly useless Deku Nut is able to harm Ganon, when even the Light Arrow cannot.

Also there's one thing that still bugs me about the ending.
Zelda is a bit of a bitch. First she sends Link back in time, then she throws a party in his honor. That really should have been the other way around. But points to Link for not having any of that and making his first order of business to create a time paradox.
Ah well, probably over-thinking it, but it's been bugging me sine I completed the N64 version.

So, Master Quest unlocked. Maybe later. I've played enough OoT for now.

neoism

-PXG- said:
In terms of diificulty, furst being the most and last being the least, it goes:

Water
Shadow
Forest
Fire
Spirit

Spirit is linear as hell and such a cakewalk. There is little logic in navigating the Water Temple. A lot of it is trial and error and just dumb luck. It's "hard" due to sloppy design. Great Bay Temple in MM had logic, therefore, its difficulty was legitimate.

But after replaying MM ( my personal favorite Zelda game) I can see why people don't like it. It can be cheap and overly frusturating. Even when you slow down time, there is never enough for you to do everything you want to do. It seems like with the time limit and it's strict conditions for certain quests, that the game is never on ypur side. You feel hopeless and at times at the mercy of the game, just as the people of Clocktown are at the mercy of the moon....
sloppy? The only thing that really messes with ppl is at one point you need
three keys at once
I was dreading it though, but the boots as an item. :O sooo much better... did it in little over an hour. I probably remember this one the best because lol I was in it in 98 for probably a week

MicH

Holy hell the well is scary. The boss almost made me shit myself. Those hands... urrrrghhh. THE MUSIC... URRGH. I'm not sure I'm ready for the Shadow Temple yet :p

Ghost23

Just finished the water temple! I was stuck for the longest time until I found out I had to
light the torches with arrows to get the small key.
Once I figured that out, everything just clicked. Also,
shadow link was the easiest thing I've ever done for a "boss". I seriously had more trouble with the water spider things than him.

BY2K

Membero Americo
*Inside the Shadow Temple, Master Quest Version*
Goes into one of the last rooms. Flower Bombs are everywhere.
Uses the Lens of Truth, sees a weird shadow on the ground.
Place a bomb on the shadow.
AAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Dead Hand from nowhere!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Roto13

Real reason OOT 3D is the definitive version of OOT:
It's the only version to include the Zelda theme. :p

Just finished it.
The extra ending credits were great, with the 3D slide show and awesome new music. The shot of the colourful flames before the big party at Lon Lon Ranch looks really nice in 3D.

Sadist

Ugh, I'm in the Forest Temple now. I forgot how tough the Stalfos are. Got my ass kicked offcourse. What's a good strategy for those things btw?

Roto13

When they move their shield (it means they're about to attack) or jump, attack. You'll interrupt their attack. Or just wait for them to hit your shield and counterattack. They're not really that tough. It's just a matter of blocking until they're open and striking.

wrowa

Sadist said:
Ugh, I'm in the Forest Temple now. I forgot how tough the Stalfos are. Got my ass kicked offcourse. What's a good strategy for those things btw?
Wait for them to attack -> jump out of the way -> attack -> repeat

Gravijah

EatChildren said:

Weird, my hands get really sweaty but I haven't had any trouble with my finger slipping off.

wrowa

cacophony said:
What's the best strategy for
shadow/dark link
?
The easy and utterly boring way:
Hammer him to death

The slighty more fun way:
Attack him without using L-targetting

rhino4evr

The Water Temple was my bitch. Not having To pause To equip the boots every 5 seconds Is a blessing. It makes you really appreciate just how genius the level design is

Ultima_5

Beat this game last night. Love it just as much as I did then... Now if only we could get a Majora's Mask remake.

Shadow Temple is the worst part of the game. The rest was amazing.

ace3skoot

wrowa said:
The easy and utterly boring way:
Hammer him to death

The slighty more fun way:
Attack him without using L-targetting

nope most fun way is with the broken giants knife, i use it for most of the adult section, otherwise things just go down way to quickly :p

EatChildren said:
I feel the complete opposite. I *hate* the PSP nub, it's too small, and has too little "play" - it doesn't work as an analogue control very well at all, it's rather hard to be precise (and I have the PSPGo, which has a better nub than the earlier models). It only works well when pushing it to its extremes at all times, and then you're not treating it as analogue, so there's no real point. Even Gran Turismo PSP didn't use it as an analogue control because it just wasn't good enough.

The 3DS circle-pad is much better for precise analogue motion; try walking in Zelda instead of running, it's really easy. The 3DS weakness is pushing it all the way to the side, which games really shouldn't require doing all the time, but unfortunately Zelda does. Just imagine how it would have been had they gone with the original material where the pad was shiny and the same color as the rest of the system (the biggest reason they changed it to what it is now was to make it less slippery).

IceMarker

cacophony said:
What's the best strategy for
shadow/dark link
?
Din's Fire all day every day
Ultima_5 said:
Beat this game last night. Love it just as much as I did then... Now if only we could get a Majora's Mask remake.
I wouldn't be surprised if Grezzo would ask Nintendo to green light an MM remake in the same vein as OoT if OoT3D sells well, which I hear is.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dreamwriter said:
I feel the complete opposite.

Oh I didnt mean to imply the PSP nub was better. I like the 3DS nub much, much more. The PSP nub is terrible, whereas the 3DS one isn't.

EatChildren said:
Oh I didnt mean to imply the PSP nub was better. I like the 3DS nub much, much more. The PSP nub is terrible, whereas the 3DS one isn't.
Wha? Got dat mod power? Didn't you just come off a ban :lol?

EatChildren said:

Yeah, the nub lacks texture, the tactile feeling is too slippery for my liking. Fortunately the analog nubs on the Wii U controller are reported to have some rubbery texture on them, so I guess the 3DS might see those nubs as well in the future.

As far as accuracy goes, the nub is practically perfect, allthough it definetly requires some relearning, as I usually just push analog sticks, without having my thumb resting on them. That needs a little getting used to.

Mejilan said:
...without using guides? how many hours did you spend this week playing this game?

Insaniac

started working on this a week before zelda came out:

9vUww.png
[/IMG]

not close to finished but i'm having fun making it :D

Top Bottom