• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
MindCollizion said:
What do I have to do to use the silver gauntlets? i cant lift up anything heavy. glitch? also, got to the inside of ganons castle and kinda lost interest in the game. How odd.
You need the golden gauntlets to lift those giant pillars.

TheExodu5

Banned
Truth101 said:
I really like playing in 3D, but the ghosting is horrible. I'm really disappointed on that front. =[

Yeah that's one of the things that has me turning it off. I really like it in Hyrule field, but as soon as you go into a dungeon, the ghosting is just too bad for me.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
MoxManiac said:
Duke Tree haha. I just got weird flashes of Duke Nukem and OoT together.

Wow, I didn't notice the typo. I'll leave it as is

I can just imagine Link telling Ganondorf, "I'll rip off your head and shit down your neck."

Nemesis_

Truth101 said:
I really like playing in 3D, but the ghosting is horrible. I'm really disappointed on that front. =[

Is this like when you see a second, fainter version of something alongside it's original?

IE. Sometimes in 3D mode, it looks like there's one main Navi and a fainter more transparent one just a little to the left/right of her.

It's really disappointing to see a game from Nintendo (I know they didn't develop it, but still) that doesn't use the 3D as well as they could.

TheExodu5

Banned
Great Fairy is creepy as well.

The "spin analog + B" attack is kind of annoying to pull off...I imagine it was easier with the N64 analog.

Nemesis556 said:
Is this like when you see a second, fainter version of something alongside it's original?

IE. Sometimes in 3D mode, it looks like there's one main Navi and a fainter more transparent one just a little to the left/right of her.

Yes.

Nemesis556 said:
It's really disappointing to see a game from Nintendo (I know they didn't develop it, but still) that doesn't use the 3D as well as they could.

It's not the game's fault, it's the 3DS's fault. This game leverages 3D extremely well. It's just a limitation of the display itself.

Luigi87

TheExodu5 said:
Great Fairy is creepy as well.

The "spin analog + B" attack is kind of annoying to pull off...I imagine it was easier with the N64 analog.

Indeed it was.
Also, in the N64/GCN version when you did it that way, it did the red flame spin with no magic cost.
Now it's only the blue flame with no magic cost.

Foffy

Banned
Nemesis556 said:

I think it's a drawback of the technology. The 3D slider creates two images to create a level of depth to the screen, but certain viewing angles or contrasting colors give way to the trick of stereoscopic 3D.

This has finally sold me that 3D is going to be an option I very likely will not use for many games in the future.

The "Ghosting" that every once in a while shows up for a few seconds around one object is because Nintendo is really pushing the 3D in the game, more than any other 3DS game except Rayman (which has really noticable ghosting on EVERY cutscene). If you are really bothered by it, just turn down the 3D a little - don't forget that the 3D slider is more than just on and off.

florn

Neo Member
Luigi87 said:
Indeed it was.
Also, in the N64/GCN version when you did it that way, it did the red flame spin with no magic cost.

Huh, didn't actually know that was a thing before I saw that. It doesn't seem all that difficult to do.

Luigi87 said:
Indeed it was.
Actually it did cost in the N64 game, but only a small amount.

Truth101

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
The "Ghosting" that every once in a while shows up for a few seconds around one object is because Nintendo is really pushing the 3D in the game, more than any other 3DS game except Rayman (which has really noticable ghosting on EVERY cutscene). If you are really bothered by it, just turn down the 3D a little - don't forget that the 3D slider is more than just on and off.

Only time ghosting goes away for me is if I turn it all the way off. =[

TheExodu5

Banned
Turning it down halfway won't remove ghosting, it'll just make it less obvious as both images are more inclusive. The reason ghosting is more obvious here than in many other 3DS games is that the contrast level is high sometimes, especially in dark dungeons.

I'm curious to try Master Quest and I'm probably going to go straight into it after finishing the quest proper even though I worry it'll feel too much like a fan mod, but I wish they hadn't mirrored it. It sounds like the whole thing is a mindfuck I Want To Be The Guy style thing (obviously not as hard, but a similar sort of "playing with your expectations" kind of thing), and I really don't think mirroring the world on top of everything else was very necessary.

TheExodu5

Banned
You didn't notice it. Some of us do.

I notice thing that I know others won't, like the fact that there are frame drops in Hyrule Field with 2D on when there are none with 3D on.

florn

Neo Member
I play laying down with the 3DS on my chest, as such the sceen is always in exactly the position it needs to be in for 3D, so I've been playing the game through with 3D on 100%, and it all works just fine, apart from if I'm using the gryopants to look around.

But yeah, if you tilt it just a little bit to the right or left it would mess up.

Gravijah

I play with the 3D all the way up and while the ghosting doesn't bother me very much, I can see how it would bother others. It definitely sticks out at times.

florn said:
I play laying down with the 3DS on my chest, as such the sceen is always in exactly the position it needs to be in for 3D,

The only bad thing about that? The damn headphone port is right in the bottom middle.

Foffy

Banned
Dreamwriter said:

It happens in Pilotwings Resort, particularly at night time. It has to do more with color contrasting, as you can easily notice the ghosting in OoT in the Lost Woods.

I'd go so far as to assume game with deep blacks will always showcase this type of ghosting. It's like backlight bleeding for blacks on some LCD monitors.

Docpan

Do the ending credits play out like the original without loading? This was brought up during Iwata Asks, I guess before development was finished. Just curious.

Gravijah

The Xtortionist said:
Wanna trade eyes? : )

I feel for you people who can't see the 3D. :( That's why I try to enjoy the 3D as much as possible, would feel bad letting it go to waste while others can't even see it.

Gravijah said:
I feel for you people who can't see the 3D. :( That's why I try to enjoy the 3D as much as possible, would feel bad letting it go to waste while others can't even see it.

I can see it, just not on max. Cranking the slider all the way up makes me feel horrible.

florn

Neo Member
Gravijah said:
I play with the 3D all the way up and while the ghosting doesn't bother me very much, I can see how it would bother others. It definitely sticks out at times.

The only bad thing about that? The damn headphone port is right in the bottom middle.

x_x yeah that's pretty annoying whenever I want to use headphones, but I usually just use the speakers anyway.

cacophony

Shadow Temple

Do I seriously have to go through pretty much the entire temple if I get killed by the boss oris there a shortcut?

Anth0ny

cacophony said:
Shadow Temple

Do I seriously have to go through pretty much the entire temple if I get killed by the boss oris there a shortcut?

there's a shortcut to the boat. but you still have to fight the stalfos. the boss is super easy, though

be thankful this isn't LTTP. god damn would they make you replay dungeons if you got killed by the boss. I'd be down to only a few hearts by the time I was back in the boss' chamber most of the time >_>

Foffy said:
It happens in Pilotwings Resort, particularly at night time. It has to do more with color contrasting, as you can easily notice the ghosting in OoT in the Lost Woods.

I'd go so far as to assume game with deep blacks will always showcase this type of ghosting. It's like backlight bleeding for blacks on some LCD monitors.
I disagree, I think it has little to do with contrast. You know what other game than Zelda people have complained about for too intense 3D? Pilotwings (and not just at night, even the earlier demos that didn't have nighttime missions). You know what other game has some really contrasty levels? Dead or Alive, but there aren't loads of people talking about ghosting in that.

In this game, Pilotwings, and Rayman, the developer is pushing the 3D far enough that some people are seeing both images at once, because the two images are different enough from each other that they aren't blending perfectly. Of course different people's eyes will be able to compensate different amounts, which is why some people see ghosting more or less than others.

bummyhead

Anth0ny said:
there's a shortcut to the boat. but you still have to fight the stalfos. the boss is super easy, though

be thankful this isn't LTTP. god damn would they make you replay dungeons if you got killed by the boss. I'd be down to only a few hearts by the time I was back in the boss' chamber most of the time >_>

The single reason why I, unlike most Zelda fans blinded by nostalgia, think LttP is unplayable today. There are some game mechanics that simply don't stand the test of time, and the old "start all over from the beginning if you die" chestnut is one of them.

It's a game, I play it for fun, repeating stuff for no reason is not fun.

shadyspace said:
The widespread under-use of Farore's Wind is criminal.
Farore's Wind is damn useful if you've got a fight that takes more than one try to beat - Farore's wind in the room right before the fight, and when you die you can warp straight back to try again. Just don't forget to use Farore's Wind again right after warping.

Pachinko

Why is this still sold out everywhere? You'd think nintendo could have made enough copies to at least sell to everyone that already had a 3DS.

watershed

Banned
Pachinko said:
Why is this still sold out everywhere? You'd think nintendo could have made enough copies to at least sell to everyone that already had a 3DS.
Best Buy has lots. Try there if there's one in your area. I think Gamestops are mostly sold out because Nintendo is sending less to them to avoid resellers.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Reknoc said:
Oh boy, Ganandorf's Castle doesn't have the 2 Gold Skulltulas that I'm missing. This should be fun.

The detailed map view will tell you where you're missing golden skulltullas.
The overworld areas can be checked any time you aren't in a dungeon.
Just use the dpad or circle pad to move the cursor from area to area.
If an area's name has a gold skulltulla icon next to it, you've found them all.
If it has a neutral dot-type icon, then there is still at least one there that you haven't found.

Similar functionality exists for dungeons with acquirable maps (all official dungeons as well as a few side-dungeons). The only caveat is that you have to be IN the dungeon to see if the skulltulla icon is next to the dungeon's name, or not.

FYI, there are NO gold skulltullas inside any part of Ganon's Keep, pre-barrier or post-barrier. There is one just outside it, but I think that falls under the "Market" skulltulla count.

Reknoc

Mejilan said:
The detailed map view will tell you where you're missing golden skulltullas.
The overworld areas can be checked any time you aren't in a dungeon.
Just use the dpad or circle pad to move the cursor from area to area.
If an area's name has a gold skulltulla icon next to it, you've found them all.
If it has a neutral dot-type icon, then there is still at least one there that you haven't found.

Similar functionality exists for dungeons with acquirable maps (all official dungeons as well as a few side-dungeons). The only caveat is that you have to be IN the dungeon to see if the skulltulla icon is next to the dungeon's name, or not.

FYI, there are NO gold skulltullas inside any part of Ganon's Keep, pre-barrier or post-barrier. There is one just outside it, but I think that falls under the "Market" skulltulla count.

Ah, thanks. Didn't know about them showing up on the dungeon map. Already cleared the main map which is why I thought I'd give the castle a try even though I was fairly certain it'd be pointless.

Pachinko

artwalknoon said:
Best Buy has lots. Try there if there's one in your area. I think Gamestops are mostly sold out because Nintendo is sending less to them to avoid resellers.

There are actually 4 best buys in my region 2 of them were sold out of their second shipment on friday , the next closest one (30 minute drive) sold out 10 minutes before I got there and well the last one is showing copies but they are closed now and it's a 35 minute trip , don't much care to drive that far for a copy. Perhaps my region simply has more 3DS owners , I know of the 2 closest best buys, 1 is the busiest in Canada.

GeekyDad

shadyspace said:

Yeah, it's one of those that you fool with a bit in the early parts of the game but is then easily forgotten later. I think that's simply because the game reassures you over time that a quick path to the boss will always become available.

watershed

Banned
Pachinko said:
There are actually 4 best buys in my region 2 of them were sold out of their second shipment on friday , the next closest one (30 minute drive) sold out 10 minutes before I got there and well the last one is showing copies but they are closed now and it's a 35 minute trip , don't much care to drive that far for a copy. Perhaps my region simply has more 3DS owners , I know of the 2 closest best buys, 1 is the busiest in Canada.
Wow, I didn't realize OoT was selling that well. My local best buy still had around 10 copies and its in a real popular shopping center. Plus there were still 10 or so 3ds's available so I thought it wasn't really moving systems. You can have gamestop reserve a copy for you to pick up if you want.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Luigi87 said:
Indeed it was.
It was always the blue flame.

Just beat the game for the first time tonight.

So good. 10/10. I also understand why people are obsessed with the timeline thing now.

PS: Water Temple sucked, though not as bad as I remember (given that I actually beat it this time)

Roto13

Luigi87 said:
Indeed it was.
No. That was Majora's Mask after you get the upgraded spin attack. (The first spin attack in MM is blue only.) The quick spin attack in OOT has always been blue.

shadyspace said:
Farore's Wind is the most useful item I rarely use. I usually use it when getting the Megaton Hammer. In case I eff up and fall, I can warp back.

In the Water Temple, I once accidentally jumped down from the platform where you raise the water to the 3rd floor. So I used Farore's Wind and warped back to the door. Was so proud of myself.

Almost done with the Shadow Temple, just have to beat the boss. After that, I assume there's one last temple followed by wherever Ganondorf is?

On that note, how the hell do I beat Bongo Bongo?

cacophony

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Almost done with the Shadow Temple, just have to beat the boss. After that, I assume there's one last temple followed by wherever Ganondorf is?

I just beat him. Shoot his hands with an arrow or your longshot and when they are both stunned at the same time turn on the lens of truth and Bongo will charge at you, hit his eye with your sword (or an arrow) and he will be stunned, slash his eye like crazy. x3

Roto13

Equip the hover boots so you don't get stunned when you bounce, shoot him in the hands, then shoot him in the eye to stun him and stab him a few times. With the biggoron's sword it's possible to take him out with six arrows and two stuns.

NEO0MJ

First shoot the hands with an arrow each. Then turn on the lens of truth an fire an arrow into his eye before he rams you so he falls unconscious. Just slash the eye then.

Top Bottom