• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Roto13

Fixed1979 said:
So I'm thinking that I'm terrible at this game. I've been really enjoying it but I've been having a hard time figuring out how to advance without resorting to a walkthrough. Maybe I just don't have the patience required to explore every area several times in order to find out how to move ahead in the game or maybe I'm just playing it wrong, I haven't tried to really get into a Zelda since the original and I was terrible at that as well.
You should never not know where to go next. Navi always points you in the right direction.

Finally got my hands on it and played a little. Although I had a very long, tiring day and I'm not feeling well, I had to squeeze in some playtime before I succumb to bed. Played about 30 minutes just messing about in Kokiri Village (got the sword, can't remember where the shield is --
oh, the shop, was it?
).

Yep, the best and strongest use of 3D I've seen on the 3DS so far. It was immediately apparent to me starting from the system menu screen, the title intro, and into the game proper. Everything looks rock solid and polished in 3D, the depth allows your eyes to really wander inside the frame. Marvelous stuff.

Game looks beautiful, love the saturated colors and razor sharp image. 3D >> 2D. I guess I'll never understand what some people mean when they say 2D has better image quality, is brighter, has more vibrant colors, or that 3D is jaggy; because my subjective experience is absolutely the opposite on all those accounts. 3D just looks better to me in every way.

Also, as I expected based on my experience with Face Raiders and AR Games, using gyro motion controls does NOT break the 3D for me. I don't even have to strain to hold the system steady or anything, it just works naturally and automatically for me. I can look all around in first person 360 degrees in all directions and the 3D doesn't break at all. I must either have superior control over my hands or my brain is doing some real-time photoshop that gives me the illusion that the 3D is not breaking. In either case I'm ecstatic to be a member of the superior master race :p

Jury is still out on overall controls and the slidepad, although I never complained from the latter in other games I played, and I didn't have any issues with Zelda yet, but I did feel my thumb slipping a couple of times and the lock-on mechanics didn't feel as robust as I remember them (but I haven't played the original in over a decade so my memory might be off).

I can't wait to explore every nook and cranny of this game's vast world and beat it 100%. Going to take my sweet time with it, and then there's MQ which I never played. Holy shit, 3DS purchase justified ten fold!

Skilletor

Naked Snake said:
Finally got my hands on it and played a little. Although I had a very long, tiring day and I'm not feeling well, I had to squeeze in some playtime before I succumbed to bed. Played about 30 minutes perhaps just messing about in Kokiri Village.

Yep, the best and strongest use of 3D I've seen on the 3DS so far. It was immediately apparent to me starting from the system menu screen, the title intro, and into the game proper. Everything looks rock solid and polished in 3D. Marvelous stuff.

Game looks beautiful. 3D >> 2D. I guess I'll never understand what some people mean when they say 2D has better image quality, is brighter, has more vibrant colors, or that 3D is jaggy; because my subjective experience is absolutely the opposite on all those accounts. 3D just looks better to me in every way.

That's odd because the screen gets dimmer, loses the AA, and has constant double vision for me with 3D on. I mean, it's not like it's a jaggy mess, but it certainly is jaggy in 3D mode.

I just got Epona. I spent about 5 minutes trying to jump the fence Ingo was at before realizing that probably wasn't where I was meant to jump. Getting kind of tired of the game. Might take a break for a few days. I've played it for awhile over the past week.

LISTEN!

Shutup, you stupid fairy. -_-

Cygnus X-1

I'm about to enter in Zora's domain. Till now I always played the game with 3D effect. Everytime I switch back to 2D to see the difference I ask myself how we could play 3D-fake games till now. It is definitely a step back in gaming immersion.

If you guys have Ocarina of Time 3D, don't play it 2D. It's blasphemy.

Skilletor

Cygnus X-1 said:
I'm about to enter in Zora's domain. Till now I always played the game with 3D effect. Everytime I switch back to 2D to see the difference I ask myself how we could play 3D-fake games till now. It is definitely a step back in gaming immersion.

If you guys have Ocarina of Time 3D, don't play it 2D. It's blasphemy.

I ask myself how people can think the way you do, personally. Blasphemy? lol.

AA + No double vision > 3D

Skilletor said:
That's odd because the screen gets dimmer, loses the AA, and has constant double vision for me with 3D on. I mean, it's not like it's a jaggy mess, but it certainly is jaggy in 3D mode.

If I hold the game on a static screen and carefully examine a diagonal line and compare in 2D and 3D back and forth, then yes I can see that it's slightly more jagged in 3D. But there is no way I can see that unless I'm deliberately looking for it, and it still looks worse in 2D to me. I hate the soft look.

Image appears brighter and more colorful in 3D to me, and I know I'm not alone in thinking so.

As for ghosting/double vision. I only saw it around Link's head so far, doesn't really bother me and it's not constant by any means.

It should be clear and obvious by now that some people just have more luck with 3D on the 3DS than others. It's a fact that some have eye conditions that either completely prevent them from seeing the 3D, or it makes their experience deviate from the optimal by varying degrees. I must be in the lucky group who have the fewest issues with 3D.

Skilletor said:

See above. People report different experiences because they have different experiences. We don't roll off factory assembly lines with identical eyes and brains.

Stereoscopic 3D looks different to different people = Fact. Differences vary from not seeing 3D at all, to seeing it with various degrees of difficulty, to having minimal/no issues at all. Me and Cygnus fall in the latter end of the spectrum, you apparently fall somewhere in the middle, and a few unlucky souls on GAF have monovision and can't see 3D at all.

Skilletor

Naked Snake said:
See above. People report different experiences because they have different experiences. We don't roll off factory assembly lines with identical eyes and brains.

Stereoscopic 3D looks different to different people = Fact. Differences vary from not seeing 3D at all, to seeing it with various degrees of difficulty, to having minimal/no issues at all.

Yes, and since I was responding to the person who said playing in 2D was "blasphemy." How can one expect everybody to play in 3D when the experience is different per person and can negatively affect how one views the game. That's silly.

My statement wasn't a condemnation of 3D, but just saying that I prefer 2D. If you like 3D, fine, but don't tell others that their preferred way of playing is wrong.

Mistle said:
Just came across this, sorry if it's already been posted.

I can't believe the time and talent some people have. It takes a certain type of person to be able to create something like this. It's insanely awesome XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-4u5L4um0c
Dr Sniper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kK2gAFWWsA
Inspector Bonkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYBZrRCCrXE&feature=related
And the best one :
Gentlemen Heavenhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUNlCZaqvIc&feature=related

I think the game is just fine in 3D, but I have to put the slider on the rather low end because I WILL eventually get nauseous on the highest setting trying to find a good spot and apparently I move too much.

One of my favorite things about Ocarina of Time on the 3DS is honestly the gyroscopic control. Made all those shooting gallery games a breeze.

By the way, which Water Temple is worse, Ocarina or Twilight?

Anyway, I'm at the Water Temple now and I forgot everything about it. I went all the way to the end but I'm missing a key. I thought I found all of them!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

Anyway, I'm at the Water Temple now and I forgot everything about it. I went all the way to the end but I'm missing a key. I thought I found all of them!

The TP Water temple just doesn't make sense in my head, even though I finished it a few months ago.

Fucksticks. I just
went into the Spirit Temple in the desert, read the two snake stone things, immediately warped myself to the Temple of Time (because they mention coming back with a young heart) -- only to realise that I needed to go outside the temple first to learn the warp song from Shiek. RAAAAAGE!

Kinda funny though. Oh well, time to refill my magic meter and do that desert thing again.

Skilletor said:
Yes, and since I was responding to the person who said playing in 2D was "blasphemy." How can one expect everybody to play in 3D when the experience is different per person and can negatively affect how one views the game. That's silly.

My statement wasn't a condemnation of 3D, but just saying that I prefer 2D. If you like 3D, fine, but don't tell others that their preferred way of playing is wrong.

Oh, I misunderstood your point (I need to sleep!). I agree with you.

OT: If it makes you feel any better, for the past few months I have developed a case of double-vision (Diplopia) when I look at far away objects. I can't watch TV from a distance and I have to close one eye when I drive or I get a terrible case of constant cross-eye. I've done extensive medical tests and doctors can't find what's wrong with me. At least my vision for close distances is unaffected; I can read and play 3DS just fine ;)

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

Neither. They're both fantastic.

Philll

Banned
I don't like the 3D at all. It was okay at first, but when you can see and play the game multiple times better with it off, it only comes off as a gimmick.

Being able to look around by moving the 3DS though, is a nice touch

I'm on the Water Temple as well and it's not so bad. I got to the end and missed a key but I know where it is at least. I've only been stuck on the Forest Temple so far because I missed a hole in the floor you had to drop down :/

Neo Child

Banned
Philll said:
I don't like the 3D at all. It was okay at first, but when you can see and play the game multiple times better with it off, it only comes off as a gimmick.

Being able to look around by moving the 3DS though, is a nice touch

The aiming is perfect... so much better by moving the 3DS.

Magicpaint said:
Neither. They're both fantastic.
Worse in a good way, if that makes sense! :p

Sort of...brilliantly designed for sure, but frustrating at times.

But what's with Nintendo's water levels? They always test me even since Super Mario Bros.!

Fixed1979

wrowa said:
There are also blinking dots on the map that indicate where you have to go next.

I guess maybe it's the smaller things that I'm having trouble. For instance on the way to Fire Temple:
You need the red shirt to get in there and there's two ways to get it, either getting 30? golden tokens to get the large bag for more than 99 gems or blowing up the rolling guy to get it for free.
Of course maybe there was a hint given for this and I missed it, I guess I just need to pay more attention to the help they do provide.

Philll said:

For people who love the 3D, it's as much a "gimmick" as HD resolutions, a generational leap in graphical fidelity, or other changes that substantially enhance the person's subjective experience. To me it's one of the best things to happen to gaming in a long time. I'm so happy that Nintendo took this route.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Naked Snake said:
For people who love the 3D, it's as much a "gimmick" as HD resolutions, a generational leap in graphical fidelity, or other changes that substantially enhance the person's subjective experience. To me it's one of the best things to happen to gaming in a long time. I'm so happy that Nintendo took this route.

Roto13

Fixed1979 said:
I guess maybe it's the smaller things that I'm having trouble. For instance on the way to Fire Temple:
You need the red shirt to get in there and there's two ways to get it, either getting 30? golden tokens to get the large bag for more than 99 gems or blowing up the rolling guy to get it for free.
Of course maybe there was a hint given for this and I missed it, I guess I just need to pay more attention to the help they do provide.
Well, when the only sign of life in the whole town is that one rolling Goron, it makes sense that you should try to interact with him. :p

Philll

Banned
Naked Snake said:

Except HD resolutions, a generational leap in graphical fidelity, and other changes that substantially enhance the person's subjective experience can be enjoyed by all without effort.

3D induced headaches on the other hand.

Then there's moving the 3DS about with 3D on and everything going askew. I can't see how 3D is comparable to being able to view the game without a vaseline filter applied, there's no way it's as much of a gimmick considering you don't have to squint to see details.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Philll said:
Except HD resolutions, a generational leap in graphical fidelity, and other changes that substantially enhance the person's subjective experience can be enjoyed by all without effort.

Then there's moving the 3DS about with 3D on and everything going askew. I can't see how 3D is comparable to being able to view the game without a vaseline filter applied, there's no way it's as much of a gimmick considering you don't have to squint to see details.
I'm glad I'm not you, I can enjoy 3D on 3DS. It may not be as universal as HD, but for those who have no problem/little problem with it, it's simply fantastic.

Muskweeto

I've learned that I can see 3D just fine if I put the brightness setting to two or lower and keep the slider to about 50%.
But I still get eye strain and sometimes headaches if played for extended periods of time.

The Lamp

Naked Snake said:

Agreed. 3D is awesome. When TVs use tech like the 3DS (but with improved viewing angles) in the mainstream market I'm convinced people will embrace it.

I saw the starfox 3D trailer on the 3DS and its unbelievable.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Philll said:

The problem is that 3D, especially auto stereoscopic 3D, is subjective from user to user. You get headaches. I can play for hours straight on maximum 3D and have no eye strain nor headache. You have difficulty getting the 3D angle. I do not. The experience with auto stereoscipic 3D for me is different than it is for you, though neither is right or wrong.

Personally, I love 3D in games. I feel 3D has an incredible impact on interactive mediums. I dont enjoy 3D all that much in film as I dont believe 3D is necessary for that medium. However, I strongly believe that, over time, people will come to find 3D as an evolutionary step in videogames, as it has greater benefit in an interactive world.

Auto stereoscopic 3D isn't for everyone, but likening it to a vaseline filter is madness in my opinion. In the case of Zelda, the 2xAA is an amazing bonus for turning 3D off, but I adore the sense of depth in 3D more. Crossing the sprawling plains of Hyrule Field, with Death Mountain in the distance, the land littered with trees and grass - to me this experience is significantly improved when I can see the depth and distance. I feel like I'm interacting a world that exists, and not just a moving picture.

But different strokes for different folks. You're not the first to dislike it and you wont be the last.

TheNatural

My Member!
I've read so much stuff about things that are added when you turn 3D off on the 3DS like extra FPS or whatever. I've been wondering though, isn't it a slider on the thing, not fixed on or off but different degrees of 3D? So how does it work for 2D - does every bit of 3D have to be off before it adds the extra graphical effects of 2D mode?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TheNatural said:
I've read so much stuff about things that are added when you turn 3D off on the 3DS like extra FPS or whatever. I've been wondering though, isn't it a slider on the thing, not fixed on or off but different degrees of 3D? So how does it work for 2D - does every bit of 3D have to be off before it adds the extra graphical effects of 2D mode?

Sliding all the way down turns of the auto stereoscopic display entirely, turning the screen into a standard screen like any other, so the game knows to render the image once. OoT gets 2xAA and slightly greater framerate stability, Dead or Alive pretty much doubles the framerate, and a few other games also get improvements.

As soon as you start to slide the slider the auto stereoscopic display is engaged, and thus you get 3D. The higher the slider, the more distant each camera/eye in the game are apart, and thus the more intense the 3D effect.

EatChildren said:
The problem is that 3D, especially auto stereoscopic 3D, is subjective from user to user. You get headaches. I can play for hours straight on maximum 3D and have no eye strain nor headache. You have difficulty getting the 3D angle. I do not. The experience with auto stereoscipic 3D for me is different than it is for you, though neither is right or wrong.

Personally, I love 3D in games. I feel 3D has an incredible impact on interactive mediums. I dont enjoy 3D all that much in film as I dont believe 3D is necessary for that medium. However, I strongly believe that, over time, people will come to find 3D as an evolutionary step in videogames, as it has greater benefit in an interactive world.

Auto stereoscopic 3D isn't for everyone, but likening it to a vaseline filter is madness in my opinion. In the case of Zelda, the 2xAA is an amazing bonus for turning 3D off, but I adore the sense of depth in 3D more. Crossing the sprawling plains of Hyrule Field, with Death Mountain in the distance, the land littered with trees and grass - to me this experience is significantly improved when I can see the depth and distance. I feel like I'm interacting a world that exists, and not just a moving picture.

But different strokes for different folks. You're not the first to dislike it and you wont be the last.

Have to agree with this whole thing. In fact, playing this was one of the most "graphically" amazing experiences I've seen. It makes Hyrule feel tangible in some way. It's the kind of experience many people play games for.

Philll said:

I prefaced my post with "For people who love 3D", and I wrote at length earlier on this page that some people have shitty experiences with 3D. You come off as if you're projecting your perspective in a vacuum.

Medalion

Banned
I've just realized to myself, I am not the gamer I used to be when I was younger... I am playing the game all the way through without help and I am forgetting how to solve shit I knew when I was younger... how embarressin

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
JasoNsider said:
Have to agree with this whole thing. In fact, playing this was one of the most "graphically" amazing experiences I've seen. It makes Hyrule feel tangible in some way. It's the kind of experience many people play games for.
To me, what's most tangible is Link himself, especially in cramp dungeon rooms where the camera is pretty close in on him. There's this amazing tangibility and "weight" to the model.

Medalion said:
I've just realized to myself, I am not the gamer I used to be when I was younger... I am playing the game all the way through without help and I am forgetting how to solve shit I knew when I was younger... how embarressin
Don't feel so bad. I got the Iron Boots and learned the Serenade, and five minutes later, was wondering how the hell I get to the Water Temple, lol

Cygnus X-1

Skilletor said:

AA + No double vision > 3D

You don't look at the screen with the right angle probably. 2D is flat. 3D effect is like reality. Don't see how this can be bad.

EatChildren said:

That last sentence is right - I personally view the game's AA as vaseline filter, making everything like soft and blurry and ugly, whereas in 3D everything looks nice and sharp.

Cygnus X-1

EatChildren said:

Agreed with this post. Can't really understand how 3D can induce problems though. If one is able to see reality world, should be able to see 3D effect. Sure, the angle is quite small and I wouldn't never use the gyroscopic sensor, otherwise ghostly effect will appear. But this is obvious. Or gyroscopic or 3D effect.

Again, I don't see the thing as "I like 3D" or "I don't like 3D". Looking at the game with 3D effect is exactly like if I'm going taking a walk and look around. Sometimes I'll look at my cellphone. Sometimes I'll look far away. Same thing is with the game. That's why it is definitely a step further in videogaming.

Dreamwriter said:
That last sentence is right - I personally view the game's AA as vaseline filter, making everything like soft and blurry and ugly, whereas in 3D everything looks nice and sharp.

My sentiments exactly. And I felt the same with SSFIV 3D, which also has AA in 2D mode.

Cygnus X-1 said:
Agreed with this post. Can't really understand how 3D can induce problems though. If one is able to see reality world, should be able to see 3D effect. Sure, the angle is quite small and I wouldn't never use the gyroscopic sensor, otherwise ghostly effect will appear. But this is obvious. Or gyroscopic or 3D effect.

I can use both gyro and see 3D at the same time just fine.

TheNatural

My Member!
EatChildren said:
Sliding all the way down turns of the auto stereoscopic display entirely, turning the screen into a standard screen like any other, so the game knows to render the image once. OoT gets 2xAA and slightly greater framerate stability, Dead or Alive pretty much doubles the framerate, and a few other games also get improvements.

As soon as you start to slide the slider the auto stereoscopic display is engaged, and thus you get 3D. The higher the slider, the more distant each camera/eye in the game are apart, and thus the more intense the 3D effect.

Ah okay, thanks for the explanation.

Medalion said:

same here, then I reassured myself because I remembered reading the excellent NOM guide back in '98

p.s. Kakariko music is still the best theme in any Zelda ever, besides the one in TP '06 trailer

BrikHog

Neo Member
Water Temple wasn't that bad, After you understand the water level switches it gets easier from there but from the start its amazingly intimidating, I WTF'ed for a good 15 minutes my first time stepping in. The Boss was far too easy however.

Would never do it again though. So far Fire>Forest>Water. Water was just TOO long. The other 2 where just right in size and exploration.

HolyTaco

I don't have a 3DS and all the OoT buzz made me want to try it again. I have the GC collection, and I never finished OoT. First time I played it I thought it was boring and lame, but I found Majoras Mask instantly entertaining. On my repeat playthrough everything's still pretty dull looking but I'm not finding it boring, I just needed the right time and space to play it. It's a shame that once you learn Zeldas lullaby you can't freestyle with the ocarina anymore though :(

cacophony

BrikHog said:
Water Temple wasn't that bad, After you understand the water level switches it gets easier from there but from the start its amazingly intimidating, I WTF'ed for a good 15 minutes my first time stepping in. The Boss was far too easy however.

That's exactly how I felt. Once you know how the water levels work and remember all the triforce locations it's not very intimidating. However, I could never play it on the N64 after doing the 3DS version, having to pause for the boots.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Futureman said:
I'm in the Fire Temple playing my scarecrow song and he isn't appearing on the platform in the one tower.

What am I missing?

Assuming you've properly activated the scarecrow functionality, you may find at times that the game is very finicky about where you need to stand in order to properly play the song.

Top Bottom