• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Skilletor

Cygnus X-1 said:
Agreed with this post. Can't really understand how 3D can induce problems though. If one is able to see reality world, should be able to see 3D effect.

This is painfully obvious.

Here's a hint: I don't need special technology to see the real world.

Cygnus X-1

Skilletor said:

My point was that since the signal sent to the two eyes is the same as reality, there is technically no reasons to not see a 3D image as long at the two signals are exactly complementary. Problems can arise only if the angle is not the right one. But finding the right spot is very easy.

In the end, looking at the 3DS screen is like to watch through a small window.

Important edit: it is not like a diffraction. It IS diffraction based!

Chao

I got headaches the first two days. Right now I can play for hours with the 3D on and I don't feel any kind of discomfort. I take short breaks every now and then, just like I do with 2D games.

Skilletor said:

You don't need technology to see the 3DS's 3D either, just your eyes. You look at it and you see it in 3D, just like looking at anything else in the world.

Skilletor

Cygnus X-1 said:
My point was that since the signal sent to the two eyes is the same as reality, there is technically no reasons to not see a 3D image as long at the two signals are exactly complementary. Problems can arise only if the angle is not the right one. But finding the right spot is very easy.

You're wrong.

UncleSporky said:
You don't need technology to see the 3DS's 3D either, just your eyes. You look at it and you see it in 3D, just like looking at anything else in the world.

The 3DS IS the special technology. I thought that obvious.

Cygnus X-1

Roto13 said:
Do you just not get how 3D on the 3DS works?

Parallax's barrier by Sharp corporation, right?

One eye see a set of small ensembles that integrated made a single signal, while the other eye due to the separation between eye and eye got another complementary set of ensembles. Remind me of diffraction effect somehow.

Brain put the two together and a 3D image is formed, as long as the spot and the angle are the right ones.

Skilletor said:
You're wrong.

Can you explain me why? If I overlooked something, I would be glad to understand.

McNum

Cygnus X-1 said:

No. What the 3DS does is just an optical illusion.

When I move my head sideways in real life, my point of view changes and I get parallax scrolling. That's how I do depth perception since my eyes can't do it the standard way. 3D doesn't do anything from me, because I get the signal from my eyes that there's depth there, but when I subconsciously shift my head to verify it, there's no depth to be found. That tilts something and I get eye strain and later a headache.

3D without head-tracking is useless to me, but the 3DS could actually do that with the inside camera. It just doesn't. Maybe some game will do that. The gyro aiming and L-targeting gyro works pretty well, though.

Skilletor said:
The 3DS IS the special technology. I thought that obvious.
By saying so you are also calling the physical world itself and the way light interacts with it "special technology." In this specific example they're analogous.

Whether light bouncing off objects that reaches your eyes provides a 3D effect, or light coming from an electronic box that reaches your eyes provides a 3D effect, both ultimately require nothing more than your eyes. A one-eyed person can't see the real world in 3D and they can't see the 3DS in 3D either. Again, a function of the eyes, no special technology required.

Cygnus X-1

McNum said:
No. What the 3DS does is just an optical illusion.

When I move my head sideways in real life, my point of view changes and I get parallax scrolling. That's how I do depth perception since my eyes can't do it the standard way. 3D doesn't do anything from me, because I get the signal from my eyes that there's depth there, but when I subconsciously shift my head to verify it, there's no depth to be found. That tilts something and I get eye strain and later a headache.

3D without head-tracking is useless to me, but the 3DS could actually do that with the inside camera. It just doesn't. Maybe some game will do that. The gyro aiming and L-targeting gyro works pretty well, though.

Of course. This cannot be changed unfortunately. After all we're not talking about a full hologram or, we could say, the hologram is limited to a certain discrete value of space.

But the effect it gives, is in fully analogy to the perception of real objects from a physics point of view.

Skilletor

UncleSporky said:
By saying so you are also calling the physical world itself and the way light interacts with it "special technology." In this specific example they're analogous.

Whether light bouncing off objects that reaches your eyes provides a 3D effect, or light coming from an electronic box that reaches your eyes provides a 3D effect, both ultimately require nothing more than your eyes. A one-eyed person can't see the real world in 3D and they can't see the 3DS in 3D either. Again, a function of the eyes, no special technology required.

The 3DS' glasses-less screen isn't special technology?

I don't need a stereoscopic screen to see the real world in 3D. It is not an optical illusion.

Anyway, this is pointless. Back to talking about the game.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The thing about 3D in this game is that I think it's amazing when it's working, but sometimes everything just looks blurry. I wish it didn't require so much fixation on keeping your head in one spot. Although, granted that's not the game's fault, it's just the way the system is designed.

Cygnus X-1

Skilletor said:

I don't need a stereoscopic screen to see the real world in 3D. It is not an optical illusion.

I don't think that's the point.

The principle is the same. Not the variables of space and time. It is much more limited of course. Like when you're watching a movie you have to watch the screen and not your foots.

We are able to distinguish real objects because the left eye get a 2D picture and the right eye another, different by a small angle 2D picture. The brain put them together and experience will make us recognize that object.

If you look at 3DS screen, at a certain distance and with a certain angle, the principle is exactly the same, though much more limited (of course).

Skilletor said:
It's not technology that does anything different than the way light works in the real world, no.

Similarly, I don't need light bouncing off of physical objects to see a stereoscopic screen in 3D.

Neither method modifies your vision at all, both just require a simple look. 3D glasses, now that's special technology that modifies your vision at eye-level. The real world and 3DS do not.

McNum

Cygnus X-1 said:
Of course. This cannot be changed unfortunately. After all we're not talking about a full hologram or, we could say, the hologram is limited to a certain discrete value of space.

But the effect it gives, is in fully analogy to the perception of real objects from a physics point of view.
Eh, not being able to see stereoscopic 3D does have an upside. Since I see the world in sort of 2D, I don't need special 3D technology to be able to see "inside" the screen. I've done that with 2D content for years. All stereoscopic 3D does is make me see double, which makes sense since there are two images. My brain can't be fooled like that.

Cygnus X-1

Angry Grimace said:
The thing about 3D in this game is that I think it's amazing when it's working, but sometimes everything just looks blurry. I wish it didn't require so much fixation on keeping your head in one spot. Although, granted that's not the game's fault, it's just the way the system is designed.

That's unfortunately the best the technology can offer, though I think it is possible to widen the angle. Problem is that if you increase the number of pixels, you'll have a smaller diffraction angle and the spot will be smaller. It is unfortunate the angle and the resolution are inversely proportional.

Cygnus X-1

McNum said:
Eh, not being able to see stereoscopic 3D does have an upside. Since I see the world in sort of 2D, I don't need special 3D technology to be able to see "inside" the screen. I've done that with 2D content for years. All stereoscopic 3D does is make me see double, which makes sense since there are two images. My brain can't be fooled like that.

This is a very interesting point. The "3D we played and we're now still playing is actually not 3D at all. The actions, the context and the experience make us understand that we're playing a 3D game. But it is actually a 2D flat picture.

Just if you look at a photo, how do you distinguish it between a 2D and a 3D? It is not physics, because the signal is exactly the same. It is the experience and common sense.

To make you understand better, I suggest you to try to take a glass of water with one eye covered, You'll be surprised how difficult it is. More easier it will be if the glass move, because the brain will remember the previous movements and make a "prediction" of how to move the hand in order to take it.

Scarecrow said:
It's been a while: where do you get the next biggest wallet that can hold more than 200 rupies?
Same place you get the first wallet upgrade.
From the Skulltula House, for 30 gold skulltulas, I believe.

Cynosure

I can't get through the Treasure Chest Shop. I've used up the full adult size wallet 3 times.
I've only seen the red room once. The first room has the worst odds; I picked the same chest 12 times in row, picked the other one and I still got a damn rupee.
I feel like I'm doing something wrong and want to know, but I don't want to cheat myself and look it up :(

is it completely by chance?

Desiato

Cynosure said:
I can't get through the Treasure Chest Shop. I've used up the full adult size wallet 3 times.
I've only seen the red room once. The first room has the worst odds; I picked the same chest 12 times in row, picked the other one and I still got a damn rupee.
I feel like I'm doing something wrong and want to know, but I don't want to cheat myself and look it up :(

Don't bother with it until you get the Lens of Truth.

Cynosure said:

Maybe you could use a certain
"lens"
to see the
truth

Cynosure said:

Can't remember if its random or a set patern but I did it first time, so maybep it is a set patern and my brain remembers it 13 years on

Cynosure

would have preferred a "no" to my question
but thanks :)

I don't have
lens of truth
yet. now I'm excited to see what I'll get. It's one of the few things I don't remember at all.

also, I'm having more fun with the relocated Skulltulas than I thought I would.

rhino4evr

Battery died while fighting the Spirit Temple boss. Thought I could finish her off before it died. Oh well...Great dungeon by the way...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Mejilan said:
Assuming you've properly activated the scarecrow functionality, you may find at times that the game is very finicky about where you need to stand in order to properly play the song.
Please get at least a still of your old avatar. I miss it.

Anilusion

BruiserBear said:
I thought they didn't have a set order?

Is the Forest Temple considered "first"?

The "order" of the dungeons/temples are

1. Deku Tree
2. Dodongo Cavern
3. Jabu Jabu
Temples
1. Forest
2. Fire
3. Water
4. Shadow
5. Spirit

emb

BruiserBear said:
I thought they didn't have a set order?

Is the Forest Temple considered "first"?

As much as I enjoy doing things out of sequence, I haven't actually given it much thought in this game. Don't you need arrows in the fire temple, other levels done to get the Shadow Temple song, and hover boots for the desert? Thinking of it now, can the Water Temple be done first?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
emb said:
As much as I enjoy doing things out of sequence, I haven't actually given it much thought in this game. Don't you need arrows in the fire temple, other levels done to get the Shadow Temple song, and hover boots for the desert? Thinking of it now, can the Water Temple be done first?

IIRC, you have to get Forest/Fire/Water out of the way before Shadow/Spirit open up.
And while you can get the hookshot, iron boots, and blue tunic before doing any of the adult dungeons, you'll need the bow and arrows for the water temple, which necessitates doing much of the forest temple first.

You can definitely do Spirit before Shadow, however. No need for the Hover Boots.

emb said:

IIRC you only need arrows in the Fire Temple to get the Map. I think Water can be done without the Megaton Hammer. Forest, Fire, and Water have to be completed to get the Nocturne of Shadow. You can do Spirit before Shadow by using the Longshot to cross the river of sand. Gerudo's Fortress( use Epona to cross the bridge), Bottom of the Well(after Forest), and the Ice Cavern can all be done very early on as well

emb

I noticed the medallion for spirit was first... guess I should have tried instead of just going along.

Well, guess I'm doing like Fire-Forest-Water-Spirit-Shadow or something with the side things early next time.

TheExodu5 said:
What's with the awful boomerang camera?
No idea, that's my only real issue with the game from what I've been playing so far. I don't know why Link has to take up the entire center of the screen so you can't even see what you're aiming at. (Maybe there is some camera option I'm missing here... I hope so.)

TheExodu5

Banned
Is there a way to get Navi to not yell "HEEEEYYYY" every time I target an enemy?

edit: well, Jabu Jabu done. Not the best boss ever.

PhoenixDawn said:
No idea, that's my only real issue with the game from what I've been playing so far. I don't know why Link has to take up the entire center of the screen so you can't even see what you're aiming at. (Maybe there is some camera option I'm missing here... I hope so.)
I think primarily, boomerang is meant to be used with z targeting.

TheExodu5 said:
Is there a way to get Navi to not yell "HEEEEYYYY" every time I target an enemy?

edit: well, Jabu Jabu done. Not the best boss ever.
I think it's supposed to kind of get your attention. A fight is upon you!

Top Bottom