• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Holy shit, I wasn't ready for MQ at all. I didn't die once in the regular quest, but I've died 3 times in MQ mode I believe, and I've only completed the Deku Tree dungeon... That, plus the world being inverted are really fucking with me!

notsol337

marked forever
Hey look listen hey!

Hey! Listen!

Look! Listen! Hey!

Now twice as annoying because HEY LINK WANNA TAKE A BREAK? DO YOU? LISTEN!

I love this game. Just did the Dark Link encounter. Forgot how annoying he is. I'm tempted to run down Biggoron's Sword RIGHT NOW, even though I have to get up in 7 hours. Can't stop playing Zelda... and it'll only get better when I can do master quest! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

hamchan

Fuzzy said:
Are the dead complaining?

Well they are walking around screaming at me so I guess they probably hate it.

Also, I bet playing the Sun's Song really screws with people's sleeping patterns.

Roto13

hamchan said:
That does bring up the fact that the redeads in the royal tomb would naturally be Zelda's ancestors. Creepy.

TheExodu5 said:
Is there a way to get Navi to not yell "HEEEEYYYY" every time I target an enemy?

edit: well, Jabu Jabu done. Not the best boss ever.
The (next) Forest Temple is waaaaaaaay better than Jabu Jabu. The game gets real as adult Link.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TheExodu5 said:
I'm now Adult Link. I take it I will have missed out on some heart pieces permanently, like the lady and her missing dog?

There is nothing you can miss in Zelda.

Gravijah

Away from my 3DS for a few days, it's time to do a few side stuff and then pick between
the Water Temple and the Fire Temple. Choices!

Actually, can I head to any of the other temples without issue now?

Gravijah said:
Actually, can I head to any of the other temples without issue now?[/spoiler]

You can do Fire or Water. Shadow requires you to beat Forest, Fire and Water, and Spirit requires either the Water or Shadow dungeon item. And for both Shadow and Spirit you'll want the item from Kakariko's well.

DrForester said:
The main one is that you can do Water Temple before Fire Temple.

The Xtortionist said:
You can do Fire or Water. Shadow requires you to beat Forest, Fire and Water, and Spirit requires either the Water or Shadow dungeon item. And for both Shadow and Spirit you'll want the item from Kakariko's well.

This is huge news to me. I had no idea the game was so freeform.
I think I'm gonna pick this up when I get a 3DS and give it another go.

fossil coast said:
This is huge news to me. I had no idea the game was so freeform.
I think I'm gonna pick this up when I get a 3DS and give it another go.

The sub-dungeons are also pretty freeform.
The Ice Cavern can be tackled right when you become an Adult. You do the Bottom of the Well after learning the Prelude of Light, and Gerudo's Fortress can be cleared as soon as you get Epona and the Hookshot

linko9

Got this yesterday and 100%ed it today. No one will ever be able to convince me that this isn't the best game ever made. And this remake is absolutely wonderful. Doesn't lose any charm from the original, but updates the graphics gorgeously.

McNum

What's the earliest you can reach
the Desert Colossus? I'm thinking that for Master Quest, it might be a good idea to get Naryu's Love as fast as possible for some of the tougher fights. Can you do it with just the Hookshot and Lens of Truth? How do you get through the Gerudo hideout without the bow?

Seda

McNum said:
the Desert Colossus? I'm thinking that for Master Quest, it might be a good idea to get Naryu's Love as fast as possible for some of the tougher fights. Can you do it with just the Hookshot and Lens of Truth? How do you get through the Gerudo hideout without the bow?

I think it's:

-Beat Forest Temple
-Get Lens of Truth
-Get Iron Boots
-Get Long Shot (I know the MQ for the Gamecube, you get the Longshot in the Water Temple really early in the temple.)
-Complete Gerudo's fortress.

You have to have beaten the Forest Temple to be able to go back in time to get the lens of Truth.

cacophony said:
ughh I fucking hate Gerudo's Fortress. There should not be stealth in a Zelda game.
Nintendo fans should spend less time trying to get whatever RPGs they want released in the US, and more time telling Nintendo to never put stealth in a Zelda game.

Philll

Banned
When I try and register the game on Nintendo it tells me the code I've been given has expired

Has this happened to anyone else?

Anth0ny

cacophony said:
ughh I fucking hate Gerudo's Fortress. There should not be stealth in a Zelda game.

hey at least they learned their lesson

480px-LOZWW_Forsaken_Fortress_barrel_screenshot.jpg

oh

watershed

Banned
Anth0ny said:
hey at least they learned their lesson

480px-LOZWW_Forsaken_Fortress_barrel_screenshot.jpg

oh

I enjoyed that "stage" because it came early in the game and really showed off the graphics in a new setting, different from the bright island setting WW started out on. The lighting and animations were enough to make me forgive the stealth stuff.

artwalknoon said:
I enjoyed that "stage" because it came early in the game and really showed off the graphics in a new setting, different from the bright island setting WW started out on. The lighting and animations were enough to make me forgive the stealth stuff.

"Forbidden Fortress proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good.” - Shigeru Miyamoto

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
^Fortress!

artwalknoon said:

Wrong.

Clipper

hamchan said:

Also, I bet playing the Sun's Song really screws with people's sleeping patterns.
Given that you can use the Sun's Song multiple times in succession to have days pass quickly, like with Biggoron, I always assumed that Link just warps to the next day/night whenever he plays it, either freezing in place or disappearing and reappearing while he does it and the rest of the world moves on in real time in the meantime. He's not actually turning it to day or night instantly, he's traveling to the next transition instead. Same goes for the Song of Double Time in MM.

McNum said:
While
you'll have the bow anyway due to needing to complete the Forest Temple to go back in time, you can get through the Gerudo Fortress without ever using it. You just have to be even stealthier and make use of the hiding spots to avoid being seen.

And given the recent discussion, I love the stealth sections in the various Zeldas. It's nice to have a change of pace every now and again.

Just finished it with all hearts, all items, and all skulltolas. I still think LttP is better. :p My favorite part is when Shiek explains about the Triforce and the Golden realm stuff. Now I want to play through TP and WW to see if I pick anything else up about the lore.

Anth0ny

artwalknoon said:

I hated that it was at the beginning. Makes wanting to play Wind Waker again so fucking boring and tedious. Bad pacing right off the bat is the worst, Twilight Princess is obviously a culprit of this too.

The intro to Ocarina of Time was, and still is, perfect. Don't know what you're doing? Read the signs and talk to people in Kokiri Forest. How much more hand holding do you need? Twilight Princess goes way too far with the god damn tutorials.

When I was a kid, I was stuck in Kokiri Forest for more than one day. It was tough to find those 40 rupees the first time. I didn't know there was a little crawl space that lead me to the Kokiri Sword.

10 years later, my 40 rupee run is like 3 minutes and I'm done the Deku Tree within 10-15 minutes of starting the game. That is good pacing. Can't say the same for Wind Waker or Twilight Princess. No matter how many times you play those games, the intro....drags....for hours....

The Lamp

_Alkaline_ said:
"Forbidden Fortress proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good.” - Shigeru Miyamoto

People who had trouble with Forbidden Fortress make me lol. It was a linear ring where you climb higher and higher until you get your sword back. Yawn. The stealth was interesting.

Just got my copy a few days ago. Very pleased with the overall look of the game. Much nicer textures and I really appreciate the 30fps framerate compared to the 20fps (or less) of the original N64 version. Hyrule Field has so much depth in 3D mode. I love it! I've gotten to the point where you meet Zelda, and forget what to do next. Twilight Princess is still my favorite Zelda but I can see why OoT is the favorite of many Zelda fans.

emb

What annoys me about stealth in Zelda games is what happens when you get caught. A cutscene begins immediately, and you're thrown where ever. This is especially jarring in the Gerudo fortress, where you're fighting enemies that you can probably easily defeat. For example, you have your bow pointed at a Gerudo guard, but then she turns around. You instantly freeze and are unable to do a thing about it, even though that one arrow can take her down, and any help she calls for.

Wind Waker fixes it up a little by having you lose your sword first. I'd rather the enemies have to actually catch me rather than just notice me though. Not being given a chance to run and having it assumed that I can't fight back at that point is... annoying. It's all in the effort of encouraging stealth over action though I suppose. This is contradictory though, since in Zelda (unlike MGS), you're taught through most of the game that you can take on tons of enemies single-handedly and keep going.

The Lamp said:
People who had trouble with Forbidden Fortress make me lol. It was a linear ring where you climb higher and higher until you get your sword back. Yawn. The stealth was interesting.

I'm sure most people who complained about it didn't have 'trouble' with it. They just didn't like it.

I think stealth is appropriate for Zelda games, but WW seemed to take it from minor section (Hyrule Courtyard, Deku Palace, Ordon Village at night, etc) to mini-dungeon. It felt tacked-on and needless, like quite a few other things in the game.

The Lamp

herzogzwei1989 said:
Just got my copy a few days ago. Very pleased with the overall look of the game. Much nicer textures and I really appreciate the 30fps framerate compared to the 20fps (or less) of the original N64 version. Hyrule Field has so much depth in 3D mode. I love it! I've gotten to the point where you meet Zelda, and forget what to do next. Twilight Princess is still my favorite Zelda but I can see why OoT is the favorite of many Zelda fans.

You need to
go to Kakariko Village, show Zelda's note to the guard, and probably get the Sun Song from the graveyard

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The Forbidden Fortress was more annoying than either Stealth sections in OoT because both the moblins moved at a snail's pace and so did Link hiding under a barrel.

Oblivion said:
The Forbidden Fortress was more annoying than either Stealth sections in OoT because both the moblins moved at a snail's pace and so did Link hiding under a barrel.
This.

Wind Waker has some bafflingly terrible design choices surrounded by joy and happiness.

Btw, it's Forsaken Fortress. I always get it mixed up with Forbidden Forest.

Either way, I've greated an unhealthy little trend in this thread.

Teppic

The problem with stealth in Zelda is that you just have to stand there waiting for the slow moving guards to walk. There's no fun doing that.

KevinCow

Banned
Is Twilight Princess the only 3D Zelda without a stealth stage?

OoT had the Gerudo Fortress, MM had the Gerudo pirate ship or whatever the hell, WW had the Forbidden Fortress. I don't remember one in TP. And if there was one, it wasn't, "You were seen, so you fail instantly with no chance to fight back despite carrying a small arsenal on your back."

KevinCow said:

OoT had the Gerudo Fortress, MM had the Gerudo pirate ship or whatever the hell, WW had the Forbidden Fortress. I don't remember one in TP. And if there was one, it wasn't, "You were seen, so you fail instantly with no chance to fight back despite carrying a small arsenal on your back."

Sneaking around Ordon at night as Wolf Link, looking for the shield and sword.

Kevtones

Am I the only one who always laughs when Link screams (e.g. when Zora tries to 'seduce' him)?

It's always over the top but stupidly hilarious.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
KevinCow said:

I thought MM's Pirate Fortress was awesome. It was cleverly designed, except for the Main Patrol Area. That was pure BS cuz there were only a handful of openings to get across without shooting someone.

The Lamp

I originally thought that Navi wasn't that annoying and that the joke was way overrated.

But I guess I just forgot how annoying she is. Really? She's NEVER useful.

"Hey Link! We should go to the Lost Woods!" WHILE I'M STANDING IN THE LOST WOODS.

"Hey Link! The Zoras have the next stone you need" WHILE I'M ABOUT TO ENTER LORD JABU-JABU.

Tarin02543

I Push Fat Kids said:
Am I the only one who always laughs when Link screams (e.g. when Zora tries to 'seduce' him)?

It's always over the top but stupidly hilarious.

The deku sprout popping up was funny too.

Top Bottom