• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

KevinCow

Banned
I can't blame people who didn't figure out that you could roll into crates and trees.

Because seriously. Who in their right mind thinks, "Yes, in order to solve this problem, I shall ram into it head first at full speed!"

Leezard

I remember exiting the Forest Temple after getting the Bow and then go get the
Longshot
in the Water Temple. I enjoyed that item so much I would always get it as quick as possible.

Congrats to those who found out now! It's great to see the different approaches people have when it comes to actions and puzzles (and better yet, to have things revealed 13 years after the original release of the game). :)

Jackano

Prime Blue said:
Congrats to those who found out now! It's great to see the different approaches people have when it comes to actions and puzzles (and better yet, to have things revealed 13 years after the original release of the game). :)
Yeah I'm mind blowned to see many people enjoy the game for the first time, and even are not so much spoiled by the 13 years gap.
This is certainly the biggest victory for the remake.

And it certainly calls to an ambitious MM remake, as well as an OoT HD remake in a decade or so.

olimpia84

Considering they have most of the textures and models redone and since OOT 3D is apparently doing fairly well sales-wise (hard to find in retailers) I think they'd be stupid to not release MM.

Javier

I honestly didn't know you could roll into crates until like my third playthrough on the N64 version. Now every time I reach Kakariko
I get the bottle right away.

And holy crap. I just finished the Forest Temple and it's amazing how so much of this felt new to me after not playing the original in years. I had completely forgotten about
the block puzzle.

bumpkin

I'm not sure how many of you are in the same boat as me, but this is actually my first time playing through OoT. I had long since gotten rid of my N64 when the game originally came out, and when I tried to play it on a roommate's N64, I just couldn't get into it. I've had one or two of my friends tell me they're jealous that this is my first time playing the game.

Now I've dove in headlong into this glorious 3D update and I'm on the second temple as adult Link.
The Forest Temple dungeon master reminded me very much of the fight against Aghanim (sp?) in LttP.
Of course now I'm at a point in the Fire Temple where I'm not too sure what to do next...
I've seemingly gone into every room I can get into and done everything I could; freed a few Gorons along the way. Is there something special I have to do in the room with the tiles that float up and fly at me? I see a block in the far wall that looks like the one I could push in another part of the dungeon (the one above the lava/fire jet between the pillars). What I need to do just isn't jumping out at me, and I've run out of rooms that don't require small keys. :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So, wait, I know you can do the Spirit and Shadow out of order, but you can do the Water and Fire out of order?

Futureman

I know I could just use the Sheikah Stones, but whatever, I'm at work.

At the
Guerdo Training Grounds
segment, there's those 3 lion head doorways in the main room. If you take the door to the left, there's a room with
a giant unmovable block that says I need silver knuckles or something to move.
I only have
Spirit, Shadow, and bottom of the well remaining to beat.
Can I solve the puzzle now, or is it a future item I will get?

KarmaCow

Futureman said:

At the
Guerdo Training Grounds
segment, there's those 3 lion head doorways in the main room. If you take the door to the left, there's a room with
I only have

From what I remember about that area, you either don't need to beat that puzzle to progress or there some shitty reward for beating the puzzle that wont help you. Either way, you'll get the item later.

Kirby102

Futureman said:

At the
Guerdo Training Grounds
I only have
The giant silver blocks needs
Gold Gauntlets (which you get at the very end)
, and it's recommended that you'd finish the whole game (or beat all the dungeons first) before attempting that area.

Luigi87

Rez said:
So, wait, I know you can do the Spirit and Shadow out of order, but you can do the Water and Fire out of order?

As soon as you get the bow, you can leave the Forest temple, and even go Water->Fire->Forest.

KarmaCow

About doing temples out of order, do you need the
Hover Boots to get to the Spirit Temple or can you do something with the longshot?

Roto13

EatChildren said:
There is nothing you can miss in Zelda.
Some Zeldas have missable items. Ocarina of Time had that missable upgrade, but that was a glitch that apparently has been fixed.
kayos90 said:
I thought MM's Pirate Fortress was awesome. It was cleverly designed, except for the Main Patrol Area. That was pure BS cuz there were only a handful of openings to get across without shooting someone.
I actually forgot the Pirate Fortress was a stealth section because I always just use that stone mask to turn invisible. :p
Dreamwriter said:
You mean every single Gerudo in the village? Especially when they are armed as well, not only with swords but spears? Sure, they normally have honor and will only imprison you (though the ones in Majora's Mask kill rather than imprison), but I'm sure if you started attacking their entire army they'd start chucking spears at you. Link is smart enough to give himself up before he starts something that'll just get out of control.

And you *really* don't want them bringing out Ganondorf (don't forget he's a Gerudo).
There's no reason to think every Gerudo in existence would suddenly appear and start impaling you with spears. (And Ganondorf isn't even there.) The Gerudos in Majora's Mask toss you out of the fortress. Only the miniboss ones try to kill you.

KevinCow said:
I can't blame people who didn't figure out that you could roll into crates and trees.

Because seriously. Who in their right mind thinks, "Yes, in order to solve this problem, I shall ram into it head first at full speed!"

Not sure if serious. You never played the first zelda? Or link to the past?

Ramming things to solve problems have been a zelda staple since the start!

PuppetSlave said:
Not sure if serious. You never played the first zelda? Or link to the past?

Ramming things to solve problems have been a zelda staple since the start!
You only push things in the first Zelda. That's not the same at all. You should have said Link's Awakening instead.

Jackano

KarmaCow said:
About doing temples out of order, do you need the
Hover Boots to get to the Spirit Temple or can you do something with the longshot?

In this remake I was surprised about not being able to use
the longshot to get a silver rupee. So I did the Shadow Temple before the Spirit Temple.

Some Zeldas have missable items. Ocarina of Time had that missable upgrade, but that was a glitch that apparently has been fixed.
Same thing, there is still a missable item.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How about telling us what is that mysterious missable upgrade, if its still there? I'm still early on my MQ run(almost at 3rd young link dungeon), i dont wanna miss it!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bisnic said:
How about telling us what is that mysterious missable upgrade, if its still there? I'm still early on my MQ run(almost at 3rd young link dungeon), i dont wanna miss it!
Isn't it the ice arrows, right? I remember being locked out many, many, many years ago.

KarmaCow

The upgrade is for carrying more Deku Nuts.
You needed to go to the Forest Stage and wear the Mask of Truth for the Deku Scrubs before you became an adult otherwise you would never be able to get it again.

Roto13

Jackano said:
In this remake I was surprised about not being able to use
the longshot to get a silver rupee. So I did the Shadow Temple before the Spirit Temple.
If you're talking about
the silver rupee floating above the rolling stones, you can get it by longshotting the wall and pulling yourself across the room through it.
Rez said:
Isn't it the ice arrows, right? I remember being locked out many, many, many years ago.
The ice arrows aren't missable. :p

What really sucked about the missable upgrade is
that you needed to get the Mask of Truth, which was only available after collecting the third spiritual stone, and you needed to get it before becoming an adult, which was your very next objective. So if you didn't know about it in advance, you were likely to miss it. Hell, a lot of OOT veterans in this thread didn't even know the Forest Stage existed in the first place.
I'll bet almost nobody got that upgrade their first time through the game. I know I didn't.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I thought it was possible to spend a key on the wrong door and lock-out the ice arrows.

Bisnic

Roto13 said:
If you're talking about
the silver rupee floating above the rolling stones, you can get it by longshotting the wall and pulling yourself across the room through it.
The ice arrows aren't missable. :p

What really sucked about the missable upgrade is
that you needed to get the Mask of Truth, which was only available after collecting the third spiritual stone, and you needed to get it before becoming an adult, which was your very next objective. So if you didn't know about it in advance, you were likely to miss it. Hell, a lot of OOT veterans in this thread didn't even know the Forest Stage existed in the first place.
I'll bet almost nobody got that upgrade their first time through the game. I know I didn't.

But is it really fixed? Jackano says its still there, and i'd like my MQ run to be a 100% one. But i'd rather get some of the teleport songs with adult Link before doing all these masks sidequests.

Roto13

Well a couple of people earlier in the thread were saying it's fixed. If you want to play it safe, just do the mask quests before you become an adult. I don't think you have to, though. The latest Iwata Asks says they fixed any bad glitches, so I can't imagine they'd leave that one in.
Rez said:
Man, I thought it was possible to spend a key on the wrong door and lock-out the ice arrows.
Like most dungeons, there are just enough keys in the training ground to open every door. It is possible to have keys left over, though. :p

jonno394

Just got my 3DS. I can't tell the difference between 2d and 3d, maybe it's just my eyes being shit (I have a lazy eye). I get ghosting every now and then but I seriously cannot tell the difference.

Game looks glorious though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
All these years of missing out on the wonder of ice based arrows...

Roto13

Ice Arrows are pretty useless. I occasionally climb to the top of the lakeside laboratory and pick off Guays with them, but that's it. :p

rhino4evr

I love that People are still discovering stuff.
Personally I had no idea you could use Epona to jump over the Gerudo Valley bridge.

It also triggers a cool cut scene. Rad!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
rhino4evr said:
I love that People are still discovering stuff.
Personally I had no idea you could use Epona to jump over the Gerudo Valley bridge.

It also triggers a cool cut scene. Rad!
How did you get across before, then? Hookshot?

olimpia84

AndyMoogle said:
You only push things in the first Zelda. That's not the same at all. You should have said Link's Awakening instead.

In Zelda I you need to push things, yes. But in ALTTP you need to ram into things (ie to get the Book of Mudora from the library)

rhino4evr

Rez said:
How did you get across before, then? Hookshot?
Yeah...actually the long shot to be more accurate. Never even tried with the regular hookshot.

Edit..I'm at the end of the Spirit Temple and still havent started the Biggoron Sword quest...I guess I should get to that.

rhino4evr

Umm...so I just realized I am supposed to go
To the Shadow Temple before the Spirit Temple? Is there a way to beat the Spirit Temple boss without Hover boots?

Lol I made it all the way to the boss of the Spirit Temple with no boots what so ever. I don't even remember where the shadow temple is...hmm.

Jackano

Just to mention that the Master Quest is hader Ok, but also strnagely funnier. I'm in Jabu Jabu and
there are cows everywhere. I remembered from my GC playthrought MQ was strange but not specific places. Cows in the "walls", in the ceiling, etc... and it serve as switch to open doors! Really funny.

Bisnic

rhino4evr said:
Umm...so I just realized I am supposed to go
To the Shadow Temple before the Spirit Temple? Is there a way to beat the Spirit Temple boss without Hover boots?

You don't even need Hover boots for this boss lol. Just jump to the platform where the big Twinrova is standing.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
KevinCow said:

I just figured this out last night. I could not figure out how to get to the damn chicken in the crate...

I am about 5 hours in on my first ever playthrough, great game so far. It can be very confusing though if you don't do stuff in order.

rhino4evr

Bisnic said:
You don't even need Hover boots for this boss lol. Just jump to the platform where the big Twinrova is standing.
Are you sure? I tried jumping to the platform and I keep coming up short.

I was going to try arrows next...

Chopper

Bisnic said:
But is it really fixed? Jackano says its still there, and i'd like my MQ run to be a 100% one. But i'd rather get some of the teleport songs with adult Link before doing all these masks sidequests.
I can tell you that it is fixed in the regular quest 100%, as I obtained the upgrade well after I'd finished a couple of adult temples. I would be extremely surprised if was not fixed in the Master Quest too.

Roto13

TDLink said:
I'm fairly certain (positive) that you can do Gerudo Fortress before even the Forest Temple as an adult.
You can. You can jump across the gorge with Epona and stun Gerudos with the Hookshot. The longshot is only necessary once you want to make it into the desert itself.

Bisnic

rhino4evr said:
Are you sure? I tried jumping to the platform and I keep coming up short.

I was going to try arrows next...

That's how i always do it, i can even do a jump attack in the middle of my jump sometimes, although you might miss the platform and fall if you do it lol.

Top Bottom