• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Steroyd

My Zelda OoT 3D has arrived today.

I can't believe I'm going to repeat my initial reaction to this game after it being 13 years since I first played it.

fffffFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuu

Colour me pleasantly surprised, it only took 5 minutes, but the 3D has impressed me in this title, granted I'm not completely sold on 3D as a whole, because the cons of it hurting my head is still there (lowering the 3D slider allieviates the issue, but doesn't get rid of it unless it's switched off), but the 3D has added onto an already excellent master piece and the graphics in general have a noticeable imprivement to. I Also nearly flipped my shit, when I discovered you can look around while targeting with the motion controls and to think i haven't even got to a part where I switch items using the touchscreen yet.

It's almost a shame, that my first impressions on my first 3DS game on my 3DS is a N64 port, but it also has me looking forward to games built from the ground up on this system.

shahkur

I did the
Forest temple
. Then Navi told me about there being something weird about
death mountain
. I've just done the
Fire temple
. But was wondering if there's a choice in which dungeon to do in what order.

wrowa

shahkur said:
I did the
Forest temple
. Then Navi told me about there being something weird about
death mountain
. I've just done the
Fire temple
. But was wondering if there's a choice in which dungeon to do in what order.
Yes.

After you've got the bow in the forest temple, you can either go to the fire temple or to the water temple. The order doesn't matter. You are also able to do the two dungeons after that out of order

-PXG-

Electivirus said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Right near the end of the "escape Ganondorf's Castle" bit, they added a surprise Redead. Blended right in. Scared the SHIT out of me. ;-;

That's not new. It's always been there.

PooBone

Question:
Seeing how this is a portable game now, how does the save functionality work? I know you could save from the menu on the N64 game, but if you turned it off and on, you started either in your house in Kokiri Village, or in the Temple of Time (or if you were in a dungeon, you start at the dungeon's entrance.) Is it still the same? I'd like to be able to save my state and come right back to where I was.

Skilletor

PooBone said:
Question:
Seeing how this is a portable game now, how does the save functionality work? I know you could save from the menu on the N64 game, but if you turned it off and on, you started either in your house in Kokiri Village, or in the Temple of Time (or if you were in a dungeon, you start at the dungeon's entrance.) Is it still the same? I'd like to be able to save my state and come right back to where I was.

It's the same.

Use the sleep mode. Bam, savestate.

My Scarecrow Song is the end of the Prelude of Light, repeated: A Y X A A Y X A

The new Ocarina button layout is alright, but I'm just a tiny bit sad the Bolero of Fire is now awkward to play instead of being fun.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Y A X R L R L X

I forgot there were six songs for some reason and was all excited thinking OH BOY they'll actually note my scarecrow song in the list! But nope I'm just an idiot. At least we've got Game Notes.

Steroyd

The ocarina is horrible, part of it being that I've grown too used to the N64 controller, even then it translated well onto the gamecube.

The 3D has me freaking out at times, shit keeps flying into my face, like leaves and Navi's trail :lol, it's easier on the eyes when I'm looking at the screen at a certain angle, I could see that getting annoying if I want to maximise the 3D for something like Mario where my hands will move all the time.

Oh navi how missed yo- SHUT THE FUCK UP!! Did she get more annoying in this or something, don't remember her shouting "HEY!" as often as she is. :|

KarmaCow

Oh wow, completely forgot about game notes. It would have been helpful if noted how many skulltulas I got in each dungeon so I could find the last two I'm missing.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Steroyd said:
Oh navi how missed yo- SHUT THE FUCK UP!! Did she get more annoying in this or something, don't remember her shouting "HEY!" as often as she is. :|

She got more annoying than before because now she wants us to take a break once in a while.

Thanks Nintendo for making her more annoying!

Disguises

Bisnic said:
She got more annoying than before because now she wants us to take a break once in a while.

Thanks Nintendo for making her more annoying!
Even with that, I still think she got overall less annoying because the speed of the text was increased. She still annoys me in the Forest Temple though: "HEY! This corridor is twisted!"...seconds later..."HEY! Watch out for shadows on the floor" Graaarrrgghhhh

Steroyd

Disguises said:
Even with that, I still think she got overall less annoying because the speed of the text was increased. She still annoys me in the Forest Temple though: "HEY! This corridor is twisted!"...seconds later..."HEY! Watch out for shadows on the floor" Graaarrrgghhhh

That reminds me, the owl is less annoying to, well that and I actually take a little pause to read the question in full before I click "Yes" or "No" 4 out of 4 so far. :D

Yeah, the text speed I noticed really soon. It made the half hour long scene of becoming an adult take like 5 minutes. It almost felt less epic.

Almost.

How long is standby supposed to last? I thought I had between 1/2 and 3/4 charge 2 days ago when I put it in sleep mode and turned it on this morning to find the battery completely dead. It just blinked red like twice when I tried to turn on and that was it and after charging it didn't let me resume it just booted from main screen. Is standby that short?

Roto13

Disguises said:
The shadow thing is useful, though. Good to know there are Wallmasters about. You don't want to be caught by surprise. :p

Kirby102

Lol my scarecrow song is XYXYXYXY.

Quick and easy. I didn't want to use L R since I'm scared the shoulder buttons will die from excessive pressing... It did for my DSi and Mario Kart :(

Steroyd

Kirby102 said:
Lol my scarecrow song is XYXYXYXY.

Quick and easy. I didn't want to use L R since I'm scared the shoulder buttons will die from excessive pressing... It did for my DSi and Mario Kart :(

Yeah, got to preserve those buttons for Star Fox 64 3D. lol

Chopper

So, I just had my ass handed to me by one of those big ugly jelly bastards that nick your equipment. I jumped on a ledge, had my red tunic stolen and the impact with the enemy knocked me off the ledge into an abyss. I returned in the room with a green tunic, and killing the guilty enemy did not produce my red tunic, cos I had fallen. I'm in Ganon's Castle. Do I have to go all the way back to Goron City to buy another tunic?

Roto13

Chopper said:
So, I just had my ass handed to me by one of those big ugly jelly bastards that nick your equipment. I jumped on a ledge, had my red tunic stolen and the impact with the enemy knocked me off the ledge into an abyss. I returned in the room with a green tunic, and killing the guilty enemy did not produce my red tunic, cos I had fallen. I'm in Ganon's Castle. Do I have to go all the way back to Goron City to buy another tunic?
Think you can finish the Fire Temple room within the time limit? :p That's the last time you'll need a red tunic.

Chopper said:
What is this jelly creature? Anyone have a name? I want to be ready when I meet one.

PooBone

I think I'm the only one that Navi never really bugged very much. That damn owl on the other hand.....

So the 3DS doesn't have vibration functionality right? Does the Stone of Agony still exist?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
PooBone said:
I think I'm the only one that Navi never really bugged very much. That damn owl on the other hand.....

So the 3DS doesn't have vibration functionality right? Does the Stone of Agony still exist?

The Stone still exist, but since there is no rumble, there is an icon that flash on your screen when you get near something secret.

Roto13

The Lamonster said:
What is this jelly creature? Anyone have a name? I want to be ready when I meet one.
You'll know it when you see it. :p They're only bad if they surprise you. They can be killed by pretty much anything.

PooBone

Bisnic said:
The Stone still exist, but since there is no rumble, there is an icon that flash on your screen when you get near something secret.
Does it still look like a rumble pack? lol.

PooBone

Anyone played the race with that ghost when he's dropping fireballs in your way? Is his name Dampi? Anyway, when I heard they were doing this game in 3d that was the first thing I thought of using the 3d effect.

I bought this day 1 when it came out for n64. Gold cartridge edition :p

It was and still is my favorite zelda game. I'm curious how it holds up now after 13 years.

My step son is 12 years old. he's not really into RPG's but i think this game where it's more action orientated he might get into.

Either way i'll buy it for myself. It's funny someone mentioned weird playing it with a smooth framerate etc.

A game that was near perfect back in the day improved! I'm sure it holds up today.

Anyone that hasn't played this game and owns a 3ds or enjoys zeldas.. Do yourself a favor and buy and play through his masterpiece!

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How long is standby supposed to last? I thought I had between 1/2 and 3/4 charge 2 days ago when I put it in sleep mode and turned it on this morning to find the battery completely dead. It just blinked red like twice when I tried to turn on and that was it and after charging it didn't let me resume it just booted from main screen. Is standby that short?
Standby lasts about a day at full charge when unplugged, depending on how much wireless communication is going on. If you want it to last longer, turn off wireless (the switch on the right side).

Edit - now that I think about it, the game seems to disable wireless communication already, so no need to disable it yourself for longer battery life

Yuterald

I finished the boss rush mode on normal mode just now and the Gauntlet rush was pretty difficult. Unlike the individual fights which refresh your health, items, and other things, the Gauntlet mode starts you out with 5 hearts and that's all you got until the very end.

They do give you an assortment of tools for most bosses, but if you take damage during one fight your health carries to the next one. The cool thing though is that there are two treasure chests that spawn at the end of each boss battle. I believe the items are randomly generated and I was getting THE WORST luck. Two bosses in a row I got deku nuts, completely useless in boss battle. I was down to 2 hearts fighting the Shadow Temple boss and I no damaged him (well, I had to I guess) and to my surprise the chest I opened was a full heart container!!! I had 6 full hearts for the Spirit Temple boss and it was in the bag at that point.

I can't imagine what the Gauntlet mode is like on Master Quest. I'm sure it's going to be a mighty challenge.

PooBone

How's the pop in? When you go over the hill in Hyrule field can you see the castle or does it take a while to pop up? What about the villagers in Kokiri Forest? Is it like before where you just saw their fairies until you got up close?

PooBone said:
How's the pop in? When you go over the hill in Hyrule field can you see the castle or does it take a while to pop up? What about the villagers in Kokiri Forest? Is it like before where you just saw their fairies until you got up close?
Seems about the same as the original to me. The Kokiri kids still pop in way later than their fairies for sure.

Gino

besiktas1 said:
I'm real funny and full of bullshit when it comes to my electronic devices. Overcharging and leaving on too long is bad are myths I live by....
the opposite is true. number of discharges is what's going to affect your battery over time. Leaving it plugged in prevents it from discharging, and that's a good thing.

if you're worried just shut it off.

Rekubot

Aquavelvaman said:
Seems about the same as the original to me. The Kokiri kids still pop in way later than their fairies for sure.
I'm fairly sure the Kokiri children appearing only when you get close is intentional. It doesn't happen with the Kakariko inhabitants for example.

How did everybody do with the boss gauntlet? I've been through it once and got 17:02.

OMG Aero

Rekubot said:
I'm fairly sure the Kokiri children appearing only when you get close is intentional. It doesn't happen with the Kakariko inhabitants for example.
Yeah, it's definitely intentional for the Kokiri to not appear until you get close. Nowhere else in the game do characters or enemies not appear until you are that close.

Ya so after finally beating the water temple for the first time (it took 12 years but I had my revenge!) I hurriedly rushed back to Zora's Domain hoping to talk to all my old swimming buddies once again and
it's still frozen!
Plus Mr. Big Fat Annoying Royal Zora just repeats the same dialogue as before I did the temple.
What's happening?
Also Ruto was supposed to "show me the way" in the water temple then just disappeared. Glitch?

shahkur

Can anyone tell me what those rocks/stones are for? The ones that when you hit, they tell the time and Navi says you need to lure out the fairy etc. I have 3 temples done as adult Link and I still dont know what they are LOL.

Varjet

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Ya so after finally beating the water temple for the first time (it took 12 years but I had my revenge!) I hurriedly rushed back to Zora's Domain hoping to talk to all my old swimming buddies once again and
it's still frozen!
Plus Mr. Big Fat Annoying Royal Zora just repeats the same dialogue as before I did the temple.
What's happening?
Also Ruto was supposed to "show me the way" in the water temple then just disappeared. Glitch?
Welcome back to 1998.

Rekubot

it's still frozen!
What's happening?
Nope, all perfectly normal.
Zora's Domain will never unfreeze, unfortunately.

it's still frozen!
That was the original design. Link is too late to really save the day.

Top Bottom