• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

kiryogi

Banned
:Motorbass said:
The water temple has colored stripes to guide you towards the water level switching spots.
This. But they also changed a camera pan to make it even more obvious. Also, you move faster underwater now. They sure did tweak it a ton just for one temple.

Ocarina Edition GET! Making my way up Death Mountain, which is the furthest I’ve ever gotten. I’ve seen others play like 90% of the game, but I’m still pretty EXCITE!

Just beat the water temple. Granted I beat the original N64 game in '98 but I just don't get why people have so much difficulty with it. The improvements they made, honestly, made it easier than the forest and fire temples in my opinion.

Edit: Although if you don't know the
longshot
is the temple item...

Steroyd

kiryogi said:
This. But they also changed a camera pan to make it even more obvious. Also, you move faster underwater now. They sure did tweak it a ton just for one temple.

These Water temple impressions are nice to hear.

The water temple itself was just plain tedious, given that water levels in games suck in general, and with the multi-level structure of the temple if you lose momentum and get lost, it can sure as hell be frustrating and with this being a Zelda game that's almost a garuntee a 1st time round.

It was the only blotch in what is one of the best games ever.

Hollywood Duo said:
Just beat the water temple. Granted I beat the original N64 game in '98 but I just don't get why people have so much difficulty with it. The improvements they made, honestly, made it easier than the forest and fire temples in my opinion.

I never got the hate/ perceived challenge of this dungeon. All other dungeons have been more challenging that that one so far after all these years. Of course, I can't remember way back in 98 if it was harder than the rest.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I definitely recall the Water Temple giving me a challenge as a kid...I specifically remember, for instance, wanting the Longshot really badly (so I could talk to the guy on the roof in Kakariko I think...although I found out you can get there by jumping off the observatory platform) and being unable to find it in the Water Temple. :(

The only other point I remember getting stuck on was the Stalfos double-battle in the Forest Temple. That killed me as a kid. :(

Got stuck in the Forest Temple at the twisting hallway - I backtracked when I got the bow & arrows so I could un-twist the hallway, then I couldn't get to where I needed to be anymore until I realized I could re-twist the hallway and open up my path again!

I had no idea you could shoot arrows at the eyes that were already closed to re-open them.

Roto13

The Lamonster said:
Got stuck in the Forest Temple at the twisting hallway - I backtracked when I got the bow & arrows so I could un-twist the hallway, then I couldn't get to where I needed to be anymore until I realized I could re-twist the hallway and open up my path again!

I had no idea you could shoot arrows at the eyes that were already closed to re-open them.
Well, it's really just those two. :p

Can I just say regarding the Master Quest Fire Temple that
it is without a shadow of a doubt one of the weakest dungeons in any zelda game, I think this must be my third MQ file and I had forgotten how bad it was. The dungeon makes up half of the puzzles from using Din's Fire of all things, possibly lobbing in some bow based fire torch antics as well. Add the use of small crates to hold down switches and skipping a fifth of the available rooms to leave you feeling like they half assed this one. (the ignored rooms probably house gold skulltullas but you don't even need to venture beyond the pillar you smack down into the pre-boss room)
That's not even taking into account the lack of life in the temple, most standard enemies are taking the day off leaving a single Iron Knuckle and some lizards to do the work, the iron knuckle room has a whopping four fairys in the same room, kind of makes me feel sorry for the poor armored chap, in fact the stalfos before the iron knuckle are more threatening in master quest. The temple is empty, no boulders, no wall of fire with red bubbles in that one room (just crates!), no keese and some rooms that formerly contained puzzles are now just a transition room containing no actual tasks to speak of.
So basically the dungeon was horrible, anyone agree or disagree?

Jokeropia

My copy finally arrived, more than a week later than the system itself.

I really love the 3D (I have it on max), it's like the screen becomes a window into Hyrule. I originally wasn't planning to even get this game (or a 3DS yet) but now I'm really glad I did.

Kirby102

Nocturnowl said:
Can I just say regarding the Master Quest Fire Temple that ---
So basically the dungeon was horrible, anyone agree or disagree?
I just ran through this dungeon today, and yes it is all of that. I even had to run outside after getting the Megaton Hammer to the Great Fairy to get double magic to complete that dungeon. It was really stupid.

(doesn't buy Green/Blue Potions)

Just finished Water Temple now... them Stalfos raped the shit out of me. D: 3 in 1 room, they do 2-4 hearts each attack ><

Roto13

Jokeropia said:
My copy finally arrived, more than a week later than the system itself.

I really love the 3D (I have it on max), it's like the screen becomes a window into Hyrule. I originally wasn't planning to even get this game (or a 3DS yet) but now I'm really glad I did.
I wasn't planning on getting it either. :p I was like "Well, I should get Zelda because I know I'll buy it someday anyway and I'd like that soundtrack." Then later that day I was like "Yeah, I want to play Zelda, screw waiting for a hardware revision, my resolve isn't strong enough" and went out and bought a 3DS. xD No regrets, though.

oatmeal

Banned
Re: Fire Temple MQ

Haven't played it, but I think it's a good thing for temples to require different potions. I hate that 99% of the time, they're pointless.

Kirby102 said:
I just ran through this dungeon today, and yes it is all of that. I even had to run outside after getting the Megaton Hammer to the Great Fairy to get double magic to complete that dungeon. It was really stupid.

(doesn't buy Green/Blue Potions)

Just finished Water Temple now... them Stalfos raped the shit out of me. D: 3 in 1 room, they do 2-4 hearts each attack ><
Oooh 3 of them! I just entered the temple, I look forward to that ruck.
The ice cavern is hilarious in MQ, they really didn't care, if you walked in with prepared blue fire for some reason (hey you could buy it from the potion shop!) it would be a 2 minute trip to the iron boots since the only puzzle you have to do is hitting a switch in the opening room.

I don't remember this creepy Shadow Temple at all even though I beat this game when it came out long ago I hardly remember these creepy places maybe I just blocked them out for being too creepy

Steroyd

Question: Did they get rid of the ability to recycle the bugs in a jar
when you release them near the soft soil where you plant seeds?

Steroyd said:
Question: Did they get rid of the ability to recycle the bugs in a jar
when you release them near the soft soil where you plant seeds?

Sadly, yes.

And speaking of which. Does the soft soil by the bean salesman not produce a gold skultulla, or am I just getting really unlucky with my placement?

Sadist

Smiles and Cries said:
I don't remember this creepy Shadow Temple at all even though I beat this game when it came out long ago I hardly remember these creepy places maybe I just blocked them out for being too creepy
Strike out the creepy part, but I barely remember the Shadow Temple as well. Maybe because it's kind of... meh?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm stuck in the MQ's Forest Temple.

I'm in the big room to the west on the first floor. There is a bunch of blue blocks near a small hill surrounded by water with a mini chest on it. No matter how many time i use the Song of Time, i can't make any blocks appear so that i can jump there. And i can't find the switch to get rid of the water inside the well either. All other rooms are either cleared or locked. =/

Bisnic said:
I'm stuck in the MQ's Forest Temple.

I'm in the big room to the west on the first floor. There is a bunch of blue blocks near a small hill surrounded by water with a mini chest on it. No matter how many time i use the Song of Time, i can't make any blocks appear so that i can jump there. And i can't find the switch to get rid of the water inside the well either. All other rooms are either cleared or locked. =/
I had the same problem, first of all...
- To drain the water is quite simple but devious, one of the well entrances has an arrow switch on the inside just below the water level, I think it's the same side as the song of time blocks.
- As for the song of time blocks you can hookshot onto the entrance arch to the exterior section and hop across a bunch of blocks to reach a worthless room containing a web and skulltulla. As for the song of time blocks by the wall and stream I don't think you can do anything with them from ground level that's any use, I think they were supposed to be used to help return to the falling ceiling room when you go to get the chest on the nearby island later on.
edit: actually there's a chest on a balcony, so do get the blocks into position and use the archway to reach them, you can safely play the song of time on a time block without screwing yourself over

Side note: When I did the MQ forest temple I noticed it was night time in the outside sections, was this always possible before because I only remember seeing the bright blue sky back on the N64 which I thought made for a great shift in tone to the creepy interior.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, playing through this and Majora's Mask, I finally noticed the head carpenter has a white mustache...

I always, ALWAYS thought it was meant to be teeth and he had weird overbite. 0.o

khan

Got the game yesterday, and my god, ghosting is really bothering me. I did not expect this from a Nintendo flagship title.

BTW, I have had no such issues with other 3DS titles in 3D mode (Ghost Recon & SSFIV)

Kjellson

Just got the 100th Gold Skulltula in Master Quest.

Now I only have Ganon's Castle and the chest I can't get to appear in Spirit Temple left.

The Lamp

The Lamonster said:

Yeah I had to figure that out too. Not sure if it's bad game design or them just trying to make you think. Probably both.

AIRic

I'll be getting my 3DS with OoT next week (Damn you Canada post!) and I'm feeling like a child getting a new toy! I haven't felt this way before getting a new game/system for a loooong time! It will be my first time playing OoT since it was released and I only rented it for a day and exploring (got to Jabu Jabu) back then. Same thing for 3D effect, It's been about 10 years since I've seen 3D effects in a movie. Soooo excited!

ombz

I really want to play Majora's Mask after playing Oot. I never had an N64 so I never played MM. Is there anyway to play it without a N64?

WillyFive

ombz said:
I really want to play Majora's Mask after playing Oot. I never had an N64 so I never played MM. Is there anyway to play it without a N64?

On a Wii. That's how I played it, got it on VC. The colors are dimmed, but still good.

Roto13

-PXG- said:
smartphone/ tablet son. Get with the times :p
Hell, the 3DS itself isn't bad for guides now that you can use the browser without quitting the game and it automatically starts on the last page you visited.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Am I the only one having trouble with WiFi when OOT is suspended? It just won't connect until the game is exited. Hopefully this gets fixed in a software update if it's a glitch.

shahkur

Absolute Zero said:
I like pretty pictures to go with my guides.

LOL.

Anyway, just finished the water temple. Why did
Ruto
disappear before she even helped me? And fighting
Dark Link
in "Dat room" was AMAAAZING! At first I didnt know how to beat him as I just kept on slashing and eventually lost. Tried again with tactics and lo and behold, I owned his ass. Fun fight, better than the actual dungeon boss.

Now, I'm stuck, I need to find someone who knows shit about the 7 sages etc. to move on to the next temples. He may be in either time period. Sigh. I dont wanna have to use the "Vision".

Any subtle hints? And whats with the crazy scientist guy in the house at Lake Hylia? Navi keeps pointing to the roof.

Ushojax said:
Am I the only one having trouble with WiFi when OOT is suspended? It just won't connect until the game is exited. Hopefully this gets fixed in a software update if it's a glitch.

Think it's a problem for everyone.

Disguises

Ushojax said:
I've tested this a bit and it seems to be the only game to disconnect the 3DS from the network during play. It takes a little time after suspending to connect back to the net again, however. Resuming the game disconnects again. Here's hoping for a fix soon.

Jezan

Nintendo-4Life said:
So how's the master quest? Are the temples radically different?
Same structure, different location of items and enemies, so different progress too, water temple is easier now.

Beat the Spirit Temple this morning after leaving my 3DS in sleep mode last night right at the boss. I had a headache (NO NOT 3D RELATED YOU TROLLS).

The boss was a lot easier than I imagined, although I somehow managed to use a fairy. Also, I missed like, 3 chests in that dungeon! I had no idea how to get them, but I assume they're just bombs, arrows, and rupees. Unless there's a heart-piece. Speaking of hearts, I also managed to forget to grab the heart after beating the boss. Had to go back in :I

Top Bottom