• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Gambit said:
Same thing happened to me. Then I realised it specifically told me to log in, which I hadn't done (since I already was). So I logged out and back in and voila, got me my soundtrack. Maybe you should try that, too.
Logged out and back in again multiple time which is why I got a little worried, especially as it had hit midnight. Tried again this morning in another browser and it worked. Well I sent an email about it just before heading to bed just in case, but I'm glad I got it working in the end.

Steroyd

Roto13 said:
You counted? :p

I think the daily activity software is a sweet feature of the 3DS, Zelda OoT shot straight into number 1 of avg time played for a game. :D

Tricky I Shadow said:
THIS! I'm playing for the first time and I'm shocked at how – not necessarily hard the game is......but how you have to be very careful.

They just don't make games with this difficulty anymore. Also the hand holding is toned down here too. It’s really great and refreshing!

Yeah, one of the reasons why Demon Souls brought an air of nostalgia to it.

Playing this game again reminds me just how crappy Twilight Princess really is.

Ocarina of time is superior in everyway, especially the higher difficulty level.
I consider OoT an easy game too (at least easier than Majora's Mask). They really overdid it when nerfing everything in TP.

Tricky I Shadow said:
THIS! I'm playing for the first time and I'm shocked at how – not necessarily hard the game is......but how you have to be very careful.

They just don't make games with this difficulty anymore. Also the hand holding is toned down here too. It’s really great and refreshing!

The hand holding isn't toned down, it wasn't introduced at this point in 3D video gaming yet.

Also, if Twilight Princess had higher damage (from enemy strikes) it would've been a lot harder than Ocarina of Time. In Ocarina some attacks knock you back several heart containers, instead of the quarter damage that you take in Twilight Princess.

I must say though, the new vision feature (super guide) is implemented perfectly. It's helpfull, it's optional and it just works in Zelda. I expect this to be a fix part of future Zelda games.

boris feinbrand said:
The hand holding isn't toned down, it wasn't introduced at this point in 3D video gaming yet.

Really? Hmm, well maybe it's just been too long since I've played a Zelda game. The difficulty is no doubt harder than Twilight Princess though...that I know for sure.

The lack of challenge in Twilight Princess was so poor that it really hurt the game for me. I mean the hearts were a complete waste, and the bosses? Waaay too easy.

Tricky I Shadow said:
Really? Hmm, well maybe it's just been too long since I've played a Zelda game. The difficulty is no doubt harder than Twilight Princess though...that I know for sure.

The lack of challenge in Twilight Princess was so poor that it really hurt the game for me. I mean the hearts were a complete waste, and the bosses? Waaay too easy.

Thats what I said, if TP had higher damage from enemy attacks it would be a lot better instantly.

In fact, OoT for its time was probably the most newcomer friendly videogame ever released. Navi was in Hindsight a predecessor of the Super Guide Feature. The amount of information and tips from Navi to fight enemies was and is an immense help for new players.

Back then I used to say that playing Ocarina of Time made me unlearn playing videogames. The controls, the gameplay, the design, everything was on such a higher level of user friendlyness and polish that it made going back to other games like Goldeneye or other 3rd person adventures very hard, as it made the flaws and shortcomings of those even more obvious and hard to accept.

KevinCow

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:

On the other hand, the most complex and challenging dungeons and puzzles in OoT feel simple and straightforward compared to the most basic dungeons in TP.

So.

Getting my new 3DS today, can't wait to finally be able to play this as well as Link's Awakening... you'd think such a huge Zelda fan such as myself would have been through LA so long ago, but... nope. Can't wait, considering how much praise that one gets.

olimpia84

web01 said:
Playing this game again reminds me just how crappy Twilight Princess really is.

Ocarina of time is superior in everyway, especially the higher difficulty level.

I thought I may have just gotten better at gaming between the release of OOT and TP but that is not the case. Had a scare in dodongo's cavern where I lost my deku shield and had to fight the two Lizalfos.

That same thing happened to me iin Dodongo's cavern. I lost the shield right away and it was an intense fight from start to finish; I think I ended up the fight with half a heart left.

randomwab

I saved my game last night in Kakariko Village, and when I booted it this afternoon, I was back in Link's hut in Kokiri Forest. What the hell?

Snaku

Banned
randomwab said:
I saved my game last night in Kakariko Village, and when I booted it this afternoon, I was back in Link's hut in Kokiri Forest. What the hell?

I hate OoT's save system.

Playing for the first time and I must say that I am rather taken with the game ^_^

If Skyward Sword comes anywhere near this I just may have to buy a Wii.

brandonh83 said:
Getting my new 3DS today, can't wait to finally be able to play this as well as Link's Awakening... you'd think such a huge Zelda fan such as myself would have been through LA so long ago, but... nope. Can't wait, considering how much praise that one gets.

I'm playing through LA right now and I'm not sure I actually played through this one as a youngster....it's an incredible game has aged REALLY well. Super fun :)

rhino4evr

randomwab said:
Advice...don't Turn the game off, use sleep mode instead. I looked at my stats and i played the game for a little under 30 hours..but only started the game 7 times.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I kind of wish they had improved OoT's save system for the 3DS version, but it's hardly a huge problem. It's kind of annoying as a kid, but once you're an adult, you always start at the Temple of Time, which is close to almost everything (and after a while, you have warp songs to get to Lake Hylia anyway).

Also, where is that super long Zelda fan art?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Roto13 said:
If you know your way through the lost woods, it's not a big deal anyway.
It's not, but I still find it weird that they connected dungeons to the Lost Woods, and not some other part of the forest. Connecting all the dungeon shortcuts to a labyrinth is a really weird choice.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Love the 3d but had to turn it off. Since its a hand held it moves when I put a little body english into the fights lol, double vision is no good.

Still loving it. Simply the best zelda game ever.

Kard8p3

Phonomezer said:
Playing for the first time and I must say that I am rather taken with the game ^_^

If Skyward Sword comes anywhere near this I just may have to buy a Wii.

So far Skyward Sword looks like it'll surpass Ocarina in every way.

I beat the game today! I actually beat a 3D Zelda game!!!

Wow at that ending.
I guess the way my brother explained it to me was that Zelda somehow created two timelines or something like that? Don't want to get into too much timeline discussion though because I haven't really played through all of the other ones. I just thought the ending meant that Zelda created an infinite loop.

I ended the game with 15 hearts, two of the spells, and I think 63 Skulltulas. I didn't see the point in finding any after 50. Ganon's blood was green. lol. The orchestrated song made sense and was like everyone said, the credits song. At first I thought it was the final boss theme, but then when the credits actually started rolling I figured it out.

I really did enjoy it. I didn't feel like it was too long or too short. It wasn't too easy or frustratingly hard for the most part, although I did avoid doing a lot of sidequests. I wish they would've thrown Tingle in there for laughs, but I know I'm alone on that one. I thought that the 3D worked really well although I didn't use it all the time. Motion controls were great. And the new samples and mixing used on all of the songs was certainly an improvement over the N64's. At least to me because I played that one for the first time last year. The screenshots weren't representative of the final product at all. Those textures looked great compared to what we'd seen in videos and screens. At least I thought so. Character models could've been better, but didn't really bother me that much.

Overall, a great game and I'm glad I finally played it. I can say that without a single bit of nostalgia, too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
PigSpeakers said:
Wow at that ending.
I guess the way my brother explained it to me was that Zelda somehow created two timelines or something like that? Don't want to get into too much timeline discussion though because I haven't really played through all of the other ones. I just thought the ending meant that Zelda created an infinite loop.

I wont go into a rant, but people generally believe that two timelines were created. Simplistic understanding that 'spoils' the general premise of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess;
Ocarina of Time splinters the timeline in two. In the 'future' world Link has summoned the sages and trapped evil Ganondorf away, just like you did in the game. In the 'past' child timeline Zelda and co now have enough evidence to convict Ganondorf before he gains his power. The former timeline leads into Wind Waker, as an all powerful Ganondorf breaks free of his prison. The latter timeline leads to Twilight Princess, where Ganondorf had been convicted and executed.

EatChildren said:
I wont go into a rant, but people generally believe that two timelines were created. Simplistic understanding that 'spoils' the general premise of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess;
Ocarina of Time splinters the timeline in two. In the 'future' world Link has summoned the sages and trapped evil Ganondorf away, just like you did in the game. In the 'past' child timeline Zelda and co now have enough evidence to convict Ganondorf before he gains his power. The former timeline leads into Wind Waker, as an all powerful Ganondorf breaks free of his prison. The latter timeline leads to Twilight Princess, where Ganondorf had been convicted and executed.

Ok, that actually all makes sense to me. Thanks!

The Lamonster said:
I've been getting that feeling a lot lately. This game is still so damn fun to play.
That's something that really surprised me. I'm not sure what it is, but for some reason it almost feels like playing a new Zelda game to me. I planned to finish LA first, but I wanted to just do the Deku Tree to see what it was like, then next thing I know I'm adult Link. Though, admittedly, part of that is because the 3DS' start button nearly breaks my thumb after 20 or so minutes of playing LA.

Kazerei said:
Until you get to Master Quest. The mirrored environments are really ****ing with my head.
I beat TP on the Gamecube and then played it on the Wii, I was amazed at how simply mirroring everything screwed me up constantly. I'd be on the wrong side of Hyrule before realizing it.

thetrin said:
I kind of wish they had improved OoT's save system for the 3DS version, but it's hardly a huge problem. It's kind of annoying as a kid, but once you're an adult, you always start at the Temple of Time, which is close to almost everything (and after a while, you have warp songs to get to Lake Hylia anyway).
That, and you get Epona. And also it's not like Hyrule is huge or anything.

EatChildren said:

Never thought of it that way lol. Now I want to replay Wind Waker (and quit when I get to the Triforce Hunt)

Damn, just died in Dodongo's Cavern fighting the sword-wielding lizards... the ground platforms were small so I ended up in the lava pits a couple of times doing sideflips and backflips (also my Deku shield was burned by a flaming bat earlier). I refused to save on the Game Over screen as I didn't want a badge of shame on my record. Thankfully I saved a few minutes earlier so didn't lose much.

I'm not surprised by how good the game still plays (I knew that), what's surprising me is how good it looks! I think this remaster really allows the original design and art direction to shine through, while it was held back on N64 by hardware limitations. Especially in scenes with a fixed camera, like the one right after entering the castle town gate with the top-down view; it looks so crips and colorful and well-composed, reminds me of those hand-painted 2D jRPGs. Beautiful stuff.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ninja Scooter said:
I know i've seen it. The final boss battle/ending is amazing. The fetch quest kills the replayability though.

The ending and final boss are what make WW my favorite 3D Zelda, even with the Triforce fetch thing.

This is way better than I thought it would be. Kind of wish the music got an update to go along with the new graphics but I can deal. Love it.

brandonh83 said:
This is way better than I thought it would be. Kind of wish the music got an update to go along with the new graphics but I can deal. Love it.
That's my only real complaint, though I still like the classic soundtrack. It'd have been nice to get rearrangements for MQ at least or something.

AbsoluteZero said:
So I'm stuck...the internet is telling me I should look for a bottle in the lake, but I don't see a damn thing...did I skip a step?

Did you go to Zora's Cavern yet? You go there, go to the very top of it where the king of the zoras is and then head left. There's a minigame there where you have to jump into the water and collect rupees. You do that minigame and get the ability to breathe underwater for a little longer. You dive somewhere in that water and there will be a door of sorts. That door will lead you out into lake hylia and there will be a bottle there with a note in it.

PigSpeakers said:
Did you go to Zora's Cavern yet? You go there, go to the very top of it where the king of the zoras is and then head left. There's a minigame there where you have to jump into the water and collect rupees. You do that minigame and get the ability to breathe underwater for a little longer. You dive somewhere in that water and there will be a door of sorts. That door will lead you out into lake hylia and there will be a bottle there with a note in it.
Did all that, but no bottle to be found.

I see two fish swimming around, three green rupees, and the Zora that appears on the lake's surface, but no bottle.

Son of a fuck I hope I don't have to start this all over again.

Nope, it's not there. Navi is bitching at me that "I wonder if Saria knows anything about the other Spiritual Stone?" so maybe I have to go back to the Lost Woods to talk to her again to get it to trigger.

web01

Roto13 said:
You're not even supposed to be using the Deku Shield in Dodongo's Cavern.

You can use the deku shield, there is even a seller shrub that sells you one
if you lose it getting burned inside the dungeon.

You do not need the hylian shield at all to beat the dungeon. So saying your not supposed to use the deku shield is a bit stupid.

Plus you cant move with the hylian shield equipped as a child which is really annoying.

Roto13

web01 said:
You can use the deku shield, there is even a seller shrub that sells you one
if you lose it getting burned inside the dungeon.

You do not need the hylian shield at all to beat the dungeon. So saying your not supposed to use the deku shield is a bit stupid.

Plus you cant move with the hylian shield equipped as a child which is really annoying.
You're NOT supposed to use the deku shield. That's why they advise against using the deku shield. You CAN use it if you want to, but it's a bad idea.

Top Bottom