• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

AlexSmash said:
i hope this game makes people more excited for skyward sword.

zeldas are just great games
It is for me. Before I didn't really care about SS one way or the other, but now I can't wait for it.

Just beat the first adult Link dungeon.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
olimpia84 said:
I'm having a tough time remembering the ocarina songs. I used to know them all back in the N64 days
It's because they fucked around with the buttons. They should correspond with the notes and they don't.

Zekes!

Nocturnowl said:
I love how the kept the ability to fall through the floor by jumping off the chain into the market town. Nostalgic!

Apparently in one of the Iwata Asks they mention that they kept a lot of glitches in OoT3D because people had fond memories of them.

Zekes! said:
Apparently in one of the Iwata Asks they mention that they kept a lot of glitches in OoT3D because people had fond memories of them.
Indeed they did, when I read that it all made sense as to why it was still doable.

RetroMG

olimpia84 said:
I'm having a tough time remembering the ocarina songs. I used to know them all back in the N64 days

Me too, but here's something I noticed: You can play the ocarina while on the screen that shows the notes. So you can look up the song and hit the buttons without leaving the screen.

Honestly, I hope SS does something like this. I'm trying to play Majora on VC and I hate having to look up the song, go out of the menu, and then remember it. Sure, Song of Soaring is no trouble, but New Wave Bossa Nova is a bit more complicated.

Roto13

Ragus said:
Finally, I have completed OoT. Activity log says, that it took me 29 hours and 33 minutes. To tell you the truth, it was such a fun experience, that it felt too short.

It was my first time with Ocarina. I simply love this game. Music and dungeons are top notch.

Now I have a dilemma. Should I wait for Majora to be remastered, or play it on my GC?
Play the Virtual Console version. The GameCube version has a freezing issue that could cause you to lose hours of progress if it happens at the wrong time.

olimpia84 said:

on the touch screen you can see the songs and play them :/

I think I got the last two teps mix up

Roto13 said:
Play the Virtual Console version. The GameCube version has a freezing issue that could cause you to lose hours of progress if it happens at the wrong time.
Ragus, I'd advise you to do as Roto13 says here...I know I regretted when I completed the second dungeon and the entire area before it then went to save...and the game froze just a few seconds before I could.
So pissed I just shut off the system, and never played that version again.

Duxxy3

13 years later and i finally finished this game. And what an awesome game it was. They really don't make 'em like that anymore.

I hope, in the next 3ds zelda, they stick with conventional controls. I did not enjoy the touch screen zelda's nearly as much.

Has anybobody caught the Hylian Loach in the fishing game? I spent HOURS trying to do so when I was a kid, but never managed it. The damn thing never even took the bait a single time. I was even using the sinking lure.

I'm determined to do it this time though.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
worldrunover said:
WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL...

I've never heard about this. How does it happen? Why? Wha? I've been a huge OoT nut since the game's release. I never even heard a mention of an arwing...
You weren't paying attention. It's a very popular GameShark code.

loosus

Banned
While playing the ocarina is a neat idea, I wish you could just press the song you want on the touch screen and have the effect of playing it happen immediately. My patience is not what it used to be, so going through the process of (a) finding the song in the menus, (b) actually pressing the correct buttons to play the song, and (c) having it play the song just to get something to happen is actually really annoying. I could stomach it better back in 1998 because it was awesome that you could even play a fucking ocarina, but now...eh, I'm over it.

I'd be super happy if you pressed a "Song of Storms" button on the touch screen and it just started fucking raining -- no explanation beyond the first time that you play it. Same with playing the sun song. It would give the game a faster pace and allow you to play the game more in short bursts.

stalker

I tried today a demo unit with Ocarina for the first time. First time also I have felt a really positive experience trying the 3DS and the 3D effect (I had played bits of Pilotwings, SSF4 and Nintendogs before). I played from the beginnning to half of Deku Tree and it felt great.

Just bought a 3DS and this game, and I've fallen in love with it all over again. The 3D is surprisingly fantastic. My only complaint is that when using the gyroscopic aiming, I have to turn the 3D off, because it blurs so much otherwise that I can't see what I'm aiming at. :| Otherwise the game is a gem and I hope they give Majora's Mask the same treatment.

Rezbit

Finished the game yesterday. It had been a long time since I last finished it, but I still remembered how to do most things. Took me 18 hours or so. Still one of my absolute favourite games of all time - I don't think any other game makes me feel like a "hero on a quest" as much as this does.

Oh, and anyone who thought this still looked like an N64 game just needs to check out (end of game spoilers)
the stairs leading up to Ganon's Room...shiny!
Looks great, makes me really wish for Majora's Mask remake!

Now for Master Quest!

Boy am I glad I remembered where the hookshot was, I'd be pulling my hair otherwise. I swear this game uses point n click adventure game logic sometimes.

AbsoluteZero said:
Boy am I glad I remembered where the hookshot was, I'd be pulling my hair otherwise. I swear this game uses point n click adventure game logic sometimes.
I wish I didn't remember, as I really enjoyed finding the hookshot for the very first time as a child. If you talk to everyone in Kakariko Village (and listen to the hints from Saria/Navi too, I believe) then eventually you figure it out. I liked sneaking into
Dampé's cabin at night as a child and read about his treasure, and I never imagined that I would actually get it later on

I guess what it boils down to in the end is patience. :p

Medalion

Banned
I wish there was a button i could press to play the game for me. I've got no time to figure out how to play a game, just do it for me, it's the 21st century for goodness sakes.

oatmeal

Banned
I'm losing my shit people...

I bought the 3DS today...and nowhere in Calgary that I've gone (Future Shop, 2x Wal Mart, Superstore and London Drugs) have Zelda.

FUUUUU

(EDIT)
To make matters worse, I'm here on Vacation...and when I was in Idaho Falls last night (stopped there for hte night), the Walmart had a bazillion copies.

FUUUUUUU

vMaxx

Just finished the game! It is my first time in 13 years after completing the original back in 1998. It is truly a masterpiece and the graphical update boosts the experience of the game even more. Especially in the ending I almost cried since I remembered my childhood and all the happy memories I have from back then!

pulled out the Gamecube and just had a Zelda nostalgia fest. Played both OoT bonus discs, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for about 30 minutes each since it had been years. I came to the conclusion that Wind Waker aged much, much better than TP and is a lot nicer on the eyes on an LCD TV. I may keep it out and just play through the whole thing again.

Not sure why Twilight Princess and Wind Waker get so much shit for being easy. I don't find this game any more challenging. Just beat Twinrova without being hit once.

It doesn't bother me. But it does bother me that this is the only seemingly legitimate complaint people have about TP and it's unfounded in my experience.

oatmeal said:

I bought the 3DS today...and nowhere in Calgary that I've gone (Future Shop, 2x Wal Mart, Superstore and London Drugs) have Zelda.

FUUUUU

(EDIT)
To make matters worse, I'm here on Vacation...and when I was in Idaho Falls last night (stopped there for hte night), the Walmart had a bazillion copies.

FUUUUUUU

Ouch :(

zychi

Banned
Finally had some free time and 100% this bitch. Still my 3rd fave game of all time.(LTTP, Mario 3 ahead of it). A shame I won't be able to get through Master Quest til I save up the money to buy my own 3ds.

Kerrby

Banned
oatmeal said:

FUUUUU

(EDIT)

FUUUUUUU

Enjoy your holiday man. Who needs Zelda when in Canada anyway ;)?

Riptwo

oatmeal said:

FUUUUU

I think that the Northland and Market Mall EB locations have it in stock. Hope you can find it without too much trouble!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finally finished. All heart pieces, all items (bottles, arrows, etc), and 81 gold skulltula tokens. I'll have to pull up a guide to get the remaining 19, as I dont recall where they all are. I'm pretty sure I got all the dungeon ones, so hopefully the remainder are in the overworld.

Lots of thoughts now that I'm wrapped up. I think the most obvious one is how well Ocarina of Time holds up today. Not just as a Zelda game, but as a game. It's really, really good. A legitimately well designed and beautifully paced game. It's saying something that a game this old can still hold up well all these years later.

How well its held up also puts into perspective how ambitious it was for its time. Not that it was ever doubted, but Ocarina of Time really is one of the greatest accomplishments of the art ever. When you think about when it was released, and on what platform, there really was no other game that had such an ambitious scope and scale of adventure.

More importantly, I think Ocarina of Time still represents some of the best use of 3D environment interactivity of any game ever made. Likely because of how big 3D was at the time, and Nintendo's push for the analogue stick, its as if every little thing you do in the game, whether it be exploration, combat or solving a puzzle, was built to exploit the Z axis. The game never feels linear or on rails, as if a 3D world is simply smoke and mirrors for otherwise basic, 2D gameplay.

I dont think the game is perfect though. There's still some rough corners, particularly in some of the later jumping puzzles, and many of the dungeons are very, very easy and quite simple. These feelings are likely due to how the core mechanics have evolved over the years. Later Zelda games are simply doing more complex puzzles and larger dungeons, and in that regard Ocarina of Time definitely feels like a first step.

I feel that nearly every aspect of Ocarina of Time has been improved in a later Zelda. Twilight Princess has larger, more complex dungeons and puzzles. Majora's Mask has a richer, more lively town and world concept (which was intentional). Wind Waker has stronger personality, is a little more progressive in its handling of both Zelda and Ganondorf, and has a greater sense of adventure (for me, anyway). But, even though I feel this way, Ocarina of Time is probably the most consistent of all Zeldas. Every Zelda game I feel that improved is also marred with noteworthy flaws, whereas Ocarina of Time is consistently above average in every regard. On top of this, the pacing of the game is probably it's one, big victory that I dont feel any other Zelda has matched. The start is strong and not drawn out, the progression of child Link is a fantastic prologue of sorts, which beautifully unravels into adult Link's quest. The game never lets ups, yet constantly teases and stimulates the player with new ideas, areas to explore, characters to meet, and revelations you never expected.

Ocarina of Time isn't my favourite game ever. It's not even in my personal top ten. It's not my favourite Zelda either. But I still would consider it one of the best games ever made, one of the most revolutionary and ambitious games ever, and practically unmatched in how gracefully it has aged. It deserves all the praise it gets.

As for this particular remake, I again much echo my surprise at how good it looks. The pre-release media really did zero favours. I do think a certain degree of conservatism took place (mostly in environment layouts), but by large the graphical improvement is amazing. The character models are lovely, but its the textures that really steal the show. They extra colour depth and resolution detail sets it worlds apart from the original. This, plus the extra details added throughout the game, such as small little effects, an improved lighting and shadow engine, and added environment details (Lost Woods anyone?) result in much richer, vibrant worlds that seem so much more alive. The 3D is really, really phenominal too, and stands second only to Pilotwings as my favourite use of 3D on the system.

The only other note I have is that I never realised how easy the game was. Maybe it is years of Zelda experience, or the fact the last time I played Ocarina of Time was Masters Quest from the Wind Waker bundle, but vanilla Ocarina of Time is an absolute cake walk. I didn't die once, didn't even come close, and never once used a fairy revival. None of the puzzles are particularly difficult, all of the boss fights are very easy, and many of the heart containers are much easier to find than other Zelda games. I had forgotten a lot of the game, so it wasn't memory, but a lot of things I found very easy this time around when I know I struggled with them as a child.

Still, tons and tons of fun and well worth the purchase. I'd adore a Majora's Mask remake from Grezzo, but also really excited to see what Nintendo do for a 3DS specific Zelda. I hope its a hybrid of Wind Waker's controls with the extra touch abilities from Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

IceMarker

EatChildren said:
Still, tons and tons of fun and well worth the purchase. I'd adore a Majora's Mask remake from Grezzo, but also really excited to see what Nintendo do for a 3DS specific Zelda. I hope its a hybrid of Wind Waker's controls with the extra touch abilities from Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.
As long as there is no blow-into-the-mic-to-play-the-instrument mechanic. Please God no.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MrMister said:
As long as there is no blow-into-the-mic-to-play-the-instrument mechanic. Please God no.

I hope you have to blow into the mic to move Link, various strengths of the blow dictating speed, and gyro control to turn.

And the game is predominantly stealth.

Gambit

EatChildren said:

Not just that. I'd even want the wind waker style. It could look fantastic in 3D. Also, the cel-shading has done so much for the personalities of Link and, especially, Zelda herself.

On top of regular circle-pad controls, I want a touch-whip like in Spirit Tracks. An awesome item!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Holy moly @ Master Quest! It is difficult from the beginning,and with enhanced and even different puzzles.
...And even with backtracking?
I mean

Inside the Deku Three,I saw some masses that can be destryed only with bombs,and a stone the position of which can change only with the Song of Time O_O

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Seda

Mpl90 said:
Holy moly @ Master Quest! It is difficult from the beginning,and with enhanced and even different puzzles.
...And even with backtracking?
I mean

Inside the Deku Three,I saw some masses that can be destryed only with bombs,and a stone the position of which can change only with the Song of Time O_O

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Not wrong,
many dungeons have to be revisited for some of the gold Skulltulas.

Jackano

MrMister said:
Actually when I see nintendogs+cats somewhat voice recognizion, I want just to whistle Epona's song to call Epona :)

Also, Master Quest Ice Cavern.
Technically, they changed the position of one piece of heart here. Add this to the list of differences between MQ and the original quest!

trinest

EatChildren said:
I hope you have to blow into the mic to move Link, various strengths of the blow dictating speed, and gyro control to turn.

And the game is predominantly stealth.

MrMister said:

I hate the microphone machinic idea only because I have the worst lung capacity, so in ST I had trouble with many of the songs.

As for OoT- been playing it the past few days, got up the forest temple now.

web01 said:
Does anyone else get super low framerate drops in the fishinhg pond?

I get this too (also had it in other areas). Link just decides to sort of walk really "sticky".

Sadist

So I started another round. Going to collect everything now.

Btw, where is the Boss Rush feature? I can't find it anywhere.

Top Bottom