• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

The Lamp

Shadow Temple was absolutely intimidating at first...I didn't remember a single bit of it since playing over 10 years ago (unlike the first few temples where I would replay the game and at least get through those, but I've only played through Water/Spirit/Shadow temples once because they're so far into the game).

But it ended up being much shorter than I expected and much easier than I expected. The only problem is that I'm going to have to come back for a Skulltula because I didn't learn the Scarecrow Song. It also sucks that if you lose against the boss, you are taken to the beginning of the temple 8l

The Lamp

Medalion said:
I can't play Shadow Temple... too scary

It really is almost frightening the first half. The idea of not being able to see things that can hurt you...:(

I must say it's one of the most unique dungeons the Zelda team ever made, however. I can only hope they incorporate such creativity in SS.

thegreatchamp said:
So I just started Master Quest today and shiiiiiit is it hard. I already died in the Deku Tree once!!!
Same here. Went through the whole regular quest without dying and now....a deku baba does me in smh

I feel dumb, I had to look up what to do in Goron City. Took me too long just to figure out I had to
play Saria’s Song to the Goron boss! : /

Anyway, I pumped in 4 hours today and still really loving it. The game sucks you right in! I’m now making my way to get my third stone...

dc89

Tricky I Shadow said:
I feel dumb, I had to look up what to do in Goron City. Took me too long just to figure out I had to
play Saria’s Song to the Goron boss! : /

Anyway, I pumped in 4 hours today and still really loving it. The game sucks you right in! I’m now making my way to get my third stone...

Me too! I was racking my brains out trying to remember what I did when I was a kid 10 years ago. I was beaten.

12 year old me > 22 year old me.

dc89 said:
Me too! I was racking my brains out trying to remember what I did when I was a kid 10 years ago. I was beaten.

12 year old me > 22 year old me.

Heh, good to see I’m not the only one. I mean I think one Goron says something like
'the boss likes the song of the forest’, and I completely forgot he said that, so it didn’t even cross my mind to play that to him.
First time playing by the way.

Well, knocked it out tonight after 22 hours or so. Still as great as it was back then! A stellar ride. Felt a bit straight forward, but I know that's because I still remember the vast portion of the game. I spent so much time exploring the world when it was first released that while I can forget a few small aspects, the majority of it (almost all of the temples went like butter) is just hardwired in.

Appreciated being able to see it in remade graphical mode, new textures, models, 3D.. everything. Visual is cake 11/10 as far as OoT is concerned.. 64 roots are still apparent, but they make the title shine like it's been rubbed with such polish!

Love the upgraded bridge
to ganon's tower
. Far cry from the old deal.. heh. Love all the interior redesigns, a real treat. I scarcely finished with 15 hearts or so, left most of them undone because the game is just too easy as it is (some very simple ones remaining also, like the ones on the way to Zora, but I swear each time the chicken flew into the sky and I never felt like making a special trip for that chicken again!).

Don't plan on starting Master Quest soon, but maybe in a few months since it's been reworked some more. Enemies really should do more damage though. I was traversing the shadow temple and those
sycthe guys
do like a quarter of a heart.. I mean come on.... The only guys that even appear to do decent damage are the
armored dudes
in the Spirit temple.

Anyway, awesome game.

The Lamp

Everytime I've tried to replay OoT in the past few years, I (if I'm lucky) make it to the Forest Temple and then get bored and quit. I don't know why, maybe because it's portable, but this run-through just sucked me in. Maybe it's the 3D and re-done graphics as well.

Medalion

Banned
I came across a secret glitch that I'm not sure will still exist for the 3DS version of OOT

I watched some walkthroughs where some guy kept playing the Song of Storms and then immediately pulling out the Lens of Truth and it never depleted his magic meter, thought that was a neat trick.

Desiato

Medalion said:
I came across a secret glitch that I'm not sure will still exist for the 3DS version of OOT

I watched some walkthroughs where some guy kept playing the Song of Storms and then immediately pulling out the Lens of Truth and it never depleted his magic meter, thought that was a neat trick.
I just keep tapping the Lens of Truth button, so it goes on and off constantly. You see what you need to see, and magic doesn't deplete.

Medalion

Banned
Apparently this is a real thing that was coded into the original N64 version of OOT, but it is buried code... that can only be accessed through some hacking using Gameshark codes or an emulator, but otherwise... it was really in there, for god knows what reason on than maybe the programmer having some fun

Mistle

Medalion said:
Apparently this is a real thing that was coded into the original N64 version of OOT, but it is buried code... that can only be accessed through some hacking using Gameshark codes or an emulator, but otherwise... it was really in there, for god knows what reason on than maybe the programmer having some fun
In Iwata Asks, they mentioned that they used similar coding to the Arwing to make the Fire Temple boss.

Kevin

thegreatchamp said:
So I just started Master Quest today and shiiiiiit is it hard. I already died in the Deku Tree once!!!

Good. Not because you died obviously but because it's a challenge. I beat vanilla OOT without dying once. I made a joke out of the final boss battle by
rolling underneath Ganon's feet and stabbing his tail

I typically don't care for games that are overly difficult but Zelda games have always been relatively easy for me. At least the 3D ones. So I kind of welcome a challenge to one of my favorite games of all time. Just to say I beat the hard version of the game.

Chopper

Kevin said:
Good. Not because you died obviously but because it's a challenge. I beat vanilla OOT without dying once. I made a joke out of the final boss battle by
rolling underneath Ganon's feet and stabbing his tail
How else are you supposed to beat him?

Medalion

Banned
Stabby McSter said:
light arrows to the face or something?
That is only used as a means to an end to get him from stop spinning around, to distract him why you walk around him to get at his tail

Medalion said:
That is only used as a means to an end to get him from stop spinning around, to distract him why you walk around him to get at his tail
I thought he meant that rolling under Ganon was the only way to do it. I used deku nuts or something like that. YOU CAN DO TONS OF THINGS IN THAT FIGHT

The Lamp said:
Everytime I've tried to replay OoT in the past few years, I (if I'm lucky) make it to the Forest Temple and then get bored and quit. I don't know why, maybe because it's portable, but this run-through just sucked me in. Maybe it's the 3D and re-done graphics as well.

I had the same problem playing in on 3DS, once you become Adult Link, the game turns into dungeon mode, there's no new territories to explore anymore (outside the gerudo desert), and while the dungeons are cool, it's not the same.

Well cross that off of my video game bucket list. I finally beat this game for the first time in my life, woo! Man, how often can you beat a game that's 13 years old and fully get what the fuss was all about all these years?

Now for my 3DS to collect dust... :[

Steroyd

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Well cross that off of my video game bucket list. I finally beat this game for the first time in my life, woo! Man, how often can you beat a game that's 13 years old and fully get what the fuss was all about all these years?

Now for my 3DS to collect dust... :[

Why should it, when you'll now get to play Master Quest? :)

Kirby102

Trucking through Master Quest right now... nearly finished. Here are some of my opinions on it (my first time doing MQ, never played it on the Gamecube):

- Fire Temple abusing our magic meters with a shit ton of Din's Fire usage.
- Armored Knights taking 8 hearts. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. First encounter was in Fire Temple :p
-
Water Temple having 2-3 keys in MQ as opposed to 328741903874 in the normal run.
- Spirit Temple is the most tedious dungeon.
Seriously, halfway through the dungeon as an adult, you need to hit a rusted switch, spawns a key in an area where only child Link can get it.
WHYYYYYYY D:<
- Spirit Temple has one of the most amusing puzzles ever :D You'll see it to believe it.

Steroyd said:
Why should it, when you'll now get to play Master Quest? :)
I think I'll let Ocarina of Time take a breather while I complete my Twilight Princess Gamecube run. I'm approaching Zelda overload and don't want things to hit critical mass before Skyward Sword comes out. <_<

Medalion

Banned
Geez I had no idea Master Quest was that hard

I thought it was a just remix of items in a dungeon, and now a mirrored world... so much more

Ragus

Banned
Finally, I have completed OoT. Activity log says, that it took me 29 hours and 33 minutes. To tell you the truth, it was such a fun experience, that it felt too short.

It was my first time with Ocarina. I simply love this game. Music and dungeons are top notch.

Now I have a dilemma. Should I wait for Majora to be remastered, or play it on my GC?

Nemesis_

Ragus said:
Finally, I have completed OoT. Activity log says, that it took me 29 hours and 33 minutes. To tell you the truth, it was such a fun experience, that it felt too short.

It was my first time with Ocarina. I simply love this game. Music and dungeons are top notch.

Now I have a dilemma. Should I wait for Majora to be remastered, or play it on my GC?

I think Majora's will never get remastered. =(

It would be fucking amazing, though. MM easily is better than OoT, in my opinion. Probably a little bit shorter, though.

Actually now I don't know which one I like. >_>

Nemesis556 said:
I think Majora's will never get remastered. =(

It would be fucking amazing, though. MM easily is better than OoT, in my opinion. Probably a little bit shorter, though.

Actually now I don't know which one I like. >_>

You must CHOOSE!

Ragus

Banned
Oh, I have a question about final boss:

I think that while fighting him I cheated a little. As soon as Master Sword was taken from me, I equipped Biggoron Sword and beat the shit out of Ganon. I feel that it wasn't the right way to fight with him. What if I didn't have this sword? Arrow at his head and then arrow at his "tail"?

Kirby102

Just finished MQ... ha damn.

Here's my time according to Activity Log:

Total Time Played: 39:17
# of Times Played: 13
Avg Play Time: 3:01 (heh)

Most of it was spent on fishing. FFFFF can't catch the Hyrule Loach. FML. Haven't 100%'d both of them... I guess I'll do that... when I'm bothered to play it again :)

Kirby102

Ragus said:

I think that while fighting him I cheated a little. As soon as Master Sword was taken from me, I equipped Biggoron Sword and beat the shit out of Ganon. I feel that it wasn't the right way to fight with him. What if I didn't have this sword? Arrow at his head and then arrow at his "tail"?
I used the Megaton Hammer, the only other wielding weapon I've got.

ediT: FFFFFFFFFFFF Sorry for the double post. >_> so dumb.

hiro4

I love how you can beat Ganon in so many different ways.
Reminds me of Links Awakening where you can beat the final boss in many different ways also.

The game is more difficult then I remember or I suck more. I had problems with Bigocto and just smashed him and also with some stalfos. Can't remember that I had problems with it 10 years ago.

McNum

Ragus said:

I use
Deku Nuts! No need to aim, just L-target his tail and pop one. It hurts him. 10 of those and he's down. Do NOT use Light Arrows, they can't hurt him. Only stun, which is useless.

Am I the only one who's tried that? It's so easy when you realize it can be done.

gimz

Im about the sell this game :/

I got this game on day one, i was so excited, i even left home early to go pick this game up, but up until now, i finished Water Temple few days ago, and never feel like turning it back on, the reason was I LOVED THIS GAME SO MUCH, i loved it so much on N64, i played it so many times, completed it 100% with all the secrets (except for that arwing thing :O)

now when i replay it on 3DS, it looks great, and i love the graphic and everything, but maybe its me getting old (not too old), i just dont feel like playing RPG (or something like that) as much as i used to, i just couldnt put as much time and effort into a game anymore, or maybe its because the whole journey of the game make me feels like Been there, Done that.

I highly recommend people to buy this game if they haven`t play it already, its an amazing game, but i just dont think i can finish it this time on 3DS, might as well leave the great memory of completing and loving this game when i was young, instead of forcing myself to complete this game again on the 3DS.

When the draw bridge is down in front of the market, you can stand on the very end of it, and then when it goes up it lifts you to the top and you can get lots of rupees. Probably ancient news, but eh, I just discovered it and thought it was cool.

Seda

Tricky I Shadow said:
When the draw bridge is down, you can stand on the very end of it, and then when it goes up it lifts you to the top and can get lots of rupees. Probably ancient news, but eh, I just discovered it and thought it was cool.

You can get some of the rupees by walking up the chains and jumping.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That's only an easter egg, they have a different purpose:
they give you hints when you wear the white-red mask you get for the mask side quest

gimz said:
Im about the sell this game :/

I got this game on day one, i was so excited, i even left home early to go pick this game up, but up until now, i finished Water Temple few days ago, and never feel like turning it back on, the reason was I LOVED THIS GAME SO MUCH, i loved it so much on N64, i played it so many times, completed it 100% with all the secrets (except for that arwing thing :O)

now when i replay it on 3DS, it looks great, and i love the graphic and everything, but maybe its me getting old (not too old), i just dont feel like playing RPG (or something like that) as much as i used to, i just couldnt put as much time and effort into a game anymore, or maybe its because the whole journey of the game make me feels like Been there, Done that.

I highly recommend people to buy this game if they haven`t play it already, its an amazing game, but i just dont think i can finish it this time on 3DS, might as well leave the great memory of completing and loving this game when i was young, instead of forcing myself to complete this game again on the 3DS.
Well, if you do finish it, they added Master Quest mode, which will get rid of the "been there done that" feeling. I sure wish they had made that available from the start for the people who have played the game a lot, or even just played the Wii VC version recently.

gimz

Dreamwriter said:
Well, if you do finish it, they added Master Quest mode, which will get rid of the "been there done that" feeling. I sure wish they had made that available from the start for the people who have played the game a lot, or even just played the Wii VC version recently.
actually the temple doesnt bother me, because i forgot most of the puzzle already, the only thing that bother me is to "get to" the temples :/

Top Bottom