• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

kr2t0s

vMaxx said:
Guys, do you think that the 3DS as a system will be able to produce graphics like those of SKYWARD SWORD? Ocarina of time 3d was great in the graphics department but nowhere near Twilight Princess level. A Zelda in 3DS with graphics of Skyward Sword- Windwaker or Twilight princess would be amazing.

You mean...can the 3ds do something that looks as good as Wind Waker - the best looking zelda game?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
In case anyone wants the translated notes for the frog heart piece from the N64 version.

l x y r x y r l r l r y x l

Alright back from my long ass ban. So I 100%'d this game. It's funny I played it so many times in my life but never fully beat it. And yes that includes the Loach. I really enjoyed it on the 3DS, absolutely loved the 3D effect. The game seemed more vibrant in 3D mode, gave me a better sense of the world, just enjoyed it all-round.

Good times folks.

elektrixx

Banned
I've been following this thread and have noticed posts about double-vision on certain objects but I can see it on anything if the background is dark (i.e Link standing in front of a black spot in Lost Woods). I confirmed it with someone else too so I don't have wuss eyeballs or anything.

Could it be my 3DS or can you guys see it on everything too?

elektrixx said:
I've been following this thread and have noticed posts about double-vision on certain objects but I can see it on anything if the background is dark (i.e Link standing in front of a black spot in Lost Woods). I confirmed it with someone else too so I don't have wuss eyeballs or anything.

The only issue I've ever had with the 3D was very slightly occasional ghosting, only in certain areas. Never had something extreme like double vision though.

weeaboo

In bow battles I find myself using more the first person view plus the motion controllers than the Z-Targeting, it's really fun.

alcabcucu

EatChildren said:
Finally finished. All heart pieces, all items (bottles, arrows, etc), and 81 gold skulltula tokens. I'll have to pull up a guide to get the remaining 19, as I dont recall where they all are. I'm pretty sure I got all the dungeon ones, so hopefully the remainder are in the overworld.

Lots of thoughts now that I'm wrapped up. I think the most obvious one is how well Ocarina of Time holds up today. Not just as a Zelda game, but as a game. It's really, really good. A legitimately well designed and beautifully paced game. It's saying something that a game this old can still hold up well all these years later.

How well its held up also puts into perspective how ambitious it was for its time. Not that it was ever doubted, but Ocarina of Time really is one of the greatest accomplishments of the art ever. When you think about when it was released, and on what platform, there really was no other game that had such an ambitious scope and scale of adventure.

More importantly, I think Ocarina of Time still represents some of the best use of 3D environment interactivity of any game ever made. Likely because of how big 3D was at the time, and Nintendo's push for the analogue stick, its as if every little thing you do in the game, whether it be exploration, combat or solving a puzzle, was built to exploit the Z axis. The game never feels linear or on rails, as if a 3D world is simply smoke and mirrors for otherwise basic, 2D gameplay.

I dont think the game is perfect though. There's still some rough corners, particularly in some of the later jumping puzzles, and many of the dungeons are very, very easy and quite simple. These feelings are likely due to how the core mechanics have evolved over the years. Later Zelda games are simply doing more complex puzzles and larger dungeons, and in that regard Ocarina of Time definitely feels like a first step.

I feel that nearly every aspect of Ocarina of Time has been improved in a later Zelda. Twilight Princess has larger, more complex dungeons and puzzles. Majora's Mask has a richer, more lively town and world concept (which was intentional). Wind Waker has stronger personality, is a little more progressive in its handling of both Zelda and Ganondorf, and has a greater sense of adventure (for me, anyway). But, even though I feel this way, Ocarina of Time is probably the most consistent of all Zeldas. Every Zelda game I feel that improved is also marred with noteworthy flaws, whereas Ocarina of Time is consistently above average in every regard. On top of this, the pacing of the game is probably it's one, big victory that I dont feel any other Zelda has matched. The start is strong and not drawn out, the progression of child Link is a fantastic prologue of sorts, which beautifully unravels into adult Link's quest. The game never lets ups, yet constantly teases and stimulates the player with new ideas, areas to explore, characters to meet, and revelations you never expected.

Ocarina of Time isn't my favourite game ever. It's not even in my personal top ten. It's not my favourite Zelda either. But I still would consider it one of the best games ever made, one of the most revolutionary and ambitious games ever, and practically unmatched in how gracefully it has aged. It deserves all the praise it gets.

As for this particular remake, I again much echo my surprise at how good it looks. The pre-release media really did zero favours. I do think a certain degree of conservatism took place (mostly in environment layouts), but by large the graphical improvement is amazing. The character models are lovely, but its the textures that really steal the show. They extra colour depth and resolution detail sets it worlds apart from the original. This, plus the extra details added throughout the game, such as small little effects, an improved lighting and shadow engine, and added environment details (Lost Woods anyone?) result in much richer, vibrant worlds that seem so much more alive. The 3D is really, really phenominal too, and stands second only to Pilotwings as my favourite use of 3D on the system.

The only other note I have is that I never realised how easy the game was. Maybe it is years of Zelda experience, or the fact the last time I played Ocarina of Time was Masters Quest from the Wind Waker bundle, but vanilla Ocarina of Time is an absolute cake walk. I didn't die once, didn't even come close, and never once used a fairy revival. None of the puzzles are particularly difficult, all of the boss fights are very easy, and many of the heart containers are much easier to find than other Zelda games. I had forgotten a lot of the game, so it wasn't memory, but a lot of things I found very easy this time around when I know I struggled with them as a child.

Still, tons and tons of fun and well worth the purchase. I'd adore a Majora's Mask remake from Grezzo, but also really excited to see what Nintendo do for a 3DS specific Zelda. I hope its a hybrid of Wind Waker's controls with the extra touch abilities from Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

I completely agree with most of the statements in this amazing post.
Just wanted to add that, in my opinion, the one thing that makes this Zelda so easy is just the fact that we have gotten used to its gameplay. Not only because we have played many other Zelda games since then, but because we have played lots and lots of "poligonal" games since OoT was released (games that in fact have a great influence of this game).
I was 21 years old back in 1998, when the game was released. And I remember getting stucked in many areas of the game, not only in the dungeons, but also in the open world.
Nowadays playing in 3D scenarios seems pretty natural, but it was all so new in 1998!! Just litting the sticks to solve some puzzles was quite a discovery, back then!!

Please forgive my lousy English. I know it sucks, but I'm not a native English speaker.

BR!

elektrixx

Banned
I backflipped over this in the deku tree back in the day. I never hit the switch until today!

cffe7450.jpg

I backflipped over the low part in the fence to get to the heart peice over the entrance to Dodongo Caverns too.

Roto13

Warning: Timeline!

Ok, so Majora's Mask takes place in the Child Link timeline, right after Ocarina of Time. That means the moon crashes into Termina while Link is hibernating. So Termina has already been destroyed by the time you wake up as Adult Link.

So yeah: on top of Hyrule having been flooded before Wind Waker, Termina has been destroyed and everyone in it has died.

MAtgS

Roto13 said:

Ok, so Majora's Mask takes place in the Child Link timeline, right after Ocarina of Time. That means the moon crashes into Termina while Link is hibernating. So Termina has already been destroyed by the time you wake up as Adult Link.

So yeah: on top of Hyrule having been flooded before Wind Waker, Termina has been destroyed and everyone in it has died.
Time travel in Termina works differently than in Hyrule & it's an alternate universe so I don't think it's been split.

The Thieve's Den is pissing me off, I feel like I've explored the whole thing, I even found the heart container, but I'm still missing a carpenter and it's so annoying running around constantly getting caught.

Thinking about using a guide to get all the heart containers after I finish up the spirit temple before I head off to Ganon's castle. I'm missing a ton and I don't even know where to begin looking.

Anybody ever get the feeling (both back in the day and now) that Jabu Jabu's belly was what a 3rd person Metroid game for the N64 would maybe be like? I think the slight Metroid vibe was a bit intentional, the larger Bari jelly fish even have little pincer teeth and "eyes." :)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Oh god... i just got gangraped by a group of 5-6 redeads that were all next to each others in the bottom floor of Kakariko's well in Master Quest. I tried using the Sun Song + Din Fire in the middle of the group. Bad idea. There was even 2 of them on me at the same time. D:

The worst thing is that not even a chest or something appeared when i killed the last one. :(

Finished this beautiful work of art for the first time (ever) today and did it 100% to boot!
I truly believe this to be Nintendo's masterpiece and think they'll not be as daring, innovative or brilliant again. Though they can feel free to prove me wrong of course!
The whole final fight and ending were amazing, can't believe it took me 11 years to finally see them.
I resorted to a guide for one stupid skulltula and for two heart pieces though doing it the hard way took me 39 hours. I also had to use a couple of the help videos for the water temple, which is the worst designed in the game by far and not just because I got stuck, but because it's just not very enjoyable and has amongst the worst boss.
Can't wait to restart this game and hope Majora's Mask will be on it's way, never played that one.

elektrixx said:

It's the game man for sure and happens on every black background. When you get ghosting try closing one eye and looking at the image then look at it with your other eye. You'll be able to see the error in image layering and why it ghosts. It doesn't really happen often enough to be a problem though.

Roto13 said:

Wrong. Ending spoiler
Link gets turned back into a kid at the end of Ocarina. Zelda even explicitly tells him to "go back and make up the time you lost" so when the whole Ocarina saga is finished, Link is a kid so all of Majora is indeed entirely after Ocarina

Roto13

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Wrong. Ending spoiler
Link gets turned back into a kid at the end of Ocarina. Zelda even explicitly tells him to "go back and make up the time you lost" so when the whole Ocarina saga is finished, Link is a kid so all of Majora is indeed entirely after Ocarina
Link gets sent back in time, but the Adult Link timeline doesn't get undone. Link was still chilling with Rauru when Termina got squished by the moon in the adult timeline. Majora's Mask is entirely after Ocarina of Time from Link's point of view after being sent back, but if year X is when Link went to sleep and year Z is when he woke up (or would have woken up, in the Young Link timeline), year Y is still when Majora's Mask happens.

Luigi87

Roto13 said:
Link gets sent back in time, but the Adult Link timeline doesn't get undone. Link was still chilling with Rauru when Termina got squished by the moon in the adult timeline. Majora's Mask is entirely after Ocarina of Time from Link's point of view after being sent back, but if year X is when Link went to sleep and year Z is when he woke up (or would have woken up, in the Young Link timeline), year Y is still when Majora's Mask happens.

In regards to Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask for Termina...
Notice that Skull Kid is still in the Lost Woods in the Adult Link timeline. Meaning he never robbed the Happy Mask Salesman (whom couldn't travel, because his shop was destroyed), never robbed Link, whom would proceed to chase him to Termina, meaning the events of Majora's Mask likely do not occur.

Hmmm. I think you got me there!
Although the adult timeline doesn't get undone and what happens in it happens, I was under the assumption that what did happen doesn't come to pass again. So it happened and Hyrule is safe, but Link getting sent back consigns what happened in his adulthood to an alternate timeline so, as a kid again, when 7 years go by Ganondorf won't try to take over again as he's already been defeated in what now has become the alternate timeline.
Recall when after all that has happened Link goes to Hyrule Castle to see Zelda again. It's an acknowledgement of what happened, they both 'know' somehow though are both now free to live in peace through this new timeline due to both of their past actions.

Wrong. Ending spoiler
Yes, and in Majora's Mask,
Link is a kid. So after Link is finished with Ocarina of Time, he is sent back as a kid, and the next thing he does while still a kid is head off to Termina for Majora's Mask.

Jackano

Bisnic said:
Oh god... i just got gangraped by a group of 5-6 redeads that were all next to each others in the bottom floor of Kakariko's well in Master Quest. I tried using the Sun Song + Din Fire in the middle of the group. Bad idea. There was even 2 of them on me at the same time. D:

The worst thing is that not even a chest or something appeared when i killed the last one. :(

I almost died there too. Most dangerous place in the game I think! Worst part for you, you will need to return there when you will actually make the chest appear, just like me ^^!

Roto13

Luigi87 said:
Notice that Skull Kid is still in the Lost Woods in the Adult Link timeline. Meaning he never robbed the Happy Mask Salesman (whom couldn't travel, because his shop was destroyed), never robbed Link, whom would proceed to chase him to Termina, meaning the events of Majora's Mask likely do not occur.
You know,
even thought it's hinted to be the same Skull Kid, I just can't accept that the character responsible for causing all that trouble and nearly destroying Termina is the same guy I stab to death whenever I need a quick 200 rupees. :p

Bisnic said:

Oh good i'm not the only one, seriously those Master Quest Redeads will absolutely violate you.

On the subject of unexpected master quest deaths I just finished the shadow temple.
- I got mauled by one of the "ship Stalfos", the crafty bugger used the ships swaying to perform two leap attacks over my shield, 8 hearts of damage!
- Bongo Bongo Served me up in less than 20 seconds, after I stunned the first hand the second went into fist form, smacked me in the face, then immediately again as I got up this time knocking me into the poison goop. I barely crawled up with one heart only to get immediately grabbed by a hand, overkill as he squeezed poor Link for a solid 5-6 seconds when I didn't even have any hearts left.

Man these unexpected deaths are actually making me enjoy it more! every Zelda game needs hard mode from now on!

Luigi87

Roto13 said:
You know,
even thought it's hinted to be the same Skull Kid, I just can't accept that the character responsible for causing all that trouble and nearly destroying Termina is the same guy I stab to death whenever I need a quick 200 rupees. :p

But see, it makes sense!
He loots people, and gets money, then you kill him, and get that money for yourself! ... I think that's the circle of life... or something.

KevinCow

Banned
Luigi87 said:

I don't see why you'd assume it was the same Skull Kid. So many characters in Majora use character models from Ocarina, and sometimes even have the same name, yet are clearly completely different characters who never show any sign of recognition towards Link. I assumed Skull Kid was just the same deal. He was Termina's Skull Kid, and was just able to find his way to Hyrule through the power of Majora's Mask.

Luigi87

KevinCow said:
I don't see why you'd assume it was the same Skull Kid. So many characters in Majora use character models from Ocarina, and sometimes even have the same name, yet are clearly completely different characters who never show any sign of recognition towards Link. I assumed Skull Kid was just the same deal. He was Termina's Skull Kid, and was just able to find his way to Hyrule through the power of Majora's Mask.

But in Majora's Mask it is specifically said at the end of the game
by Skull Kid, "Eh-hee-hee...You have the same smell as the fairy kid who taught me that song in the woods..." at which point he doesn't have Majora's Mask, and then post-credits, Saria's Song plays (which btw, The Song of Healing is Saria's Song in reverse, a mirror much like Termina is to Hyrule)

TDLink

Hmmm. I think you got me there!
Although the adult timeline doesn't get undone and what happens in it happens, I was under the assumption that what did happen doesn't come to pass again. So it happened and Hyrule is safe, but Link getting sent back consigns what happened in his adulthood to an alternate timeline so, as a kid again, when 7 years go by Ganondorf won't try to take over again as he's already been defeated in what now has become the alternate timeline.
Recall when after all that has happened Link goes to Hyrule Castle to see Zelda again. It's an acknowledgement of what happened, they both 'know' somehow though are both now free to live in peace through this new timeline due to both of their past actions.

Actually,

I was always under the impression that Link knew what happened and still kept those experiences in his memory when he went back at the end but everyone else, including Zelda, would not recall the events as they had not yet transpired (And in that timeline would not). Link talking to Zelda at the end wasn't her "knowing" but Link warning her about Ganondorf in advance so he would be dealt with before he could become such a big threat and thus all the subsequent bad things he caused would never come to pass. Link of course has the Ocarina of Time from the initial timeline (as he still has it in Majora's Mask) and that combined with the fact that he knew Zelda's Lullably would be enough for Zelda and her father to probably trust his word, I'd assume. At least that was my interpretation of it all.

Roto13

I just had another stupid thought.

If Zelda sends Link back in time, creating a second timeline, does that mean Link creates a new timeline every time he plays the Song of Time in Majora's Mask? Does anyone around just see him disappear and then just get crushed to death at the end of the third day? :p

Muskweeto

I can't believe I'm getting dragged into a timeline discussion.

At the end of OOT, the timeline splits in two:

1) The child timeline where Link is sent back to being a kid and warns Zelda of what Ganondorf is planning and is able to convince the royal family with his knowledge ho couldn't possibly know otherwise. This timeline continues in Majoras Mask, then Twilight Princess.

2) The adult timeline where link is sent back to being a child and therefore vanishes from existence causing the hero's bloodline to die and the Triforce of Courage to split into many pieces and scatter all throughout the land. This timeline continues in The Wind Waker.

Everything I've said has been proved in one way or another in the later Zelda titles.

As for the state of Termina, The moon would have never crashed in the adult timeline for reasons stated in a previous post and the Skullkid was proven to be the same one as in the lost woods at the end of Majoras Mask.

Holmes

Does Link even play Saria's Song to the Skull Kid in the child timeline? Does he even learn Saria's Song? Thought he went straight to Zelda.

Muskweeto

Holmes said:
Does Link even play Saria's Song to the Skull Kid in the child timeline? Does he even learn Saria's Song? Thought he went straight to Zelda.
I guess that's just left for speculation, you could assume since Link remembers doing it before, he went back to do it again to make friends again. It's really the only way they could prove its the same skull kid anyway, unless I'm missing some details.

Edit: Wow, this thread has turned into nothing but black bars.

AniHawk

TDLink said:
Actually,

I was always under the impression that Link knew what happened and still kept those experiences in his memory when he went back at the end but everyone else, including Zelda, would not recall the events as they had not yet transpired (And in that timeline would not). Link talking to Zelda at the end wasn't her "knowing" but Link warning her about Ganondorf in advance so he would be dealt with before he could become such a big threat and thus all the subsequent bad things he caused would never come to pass. Link of course has the Ocarina of Time from the initial timeline (as he still has it in Majora's Mask) and that combined with the fact that he knew Zelda's Lullably would be enough for Zelda and her father to probably trust his word, I'd assume. At least that was my interpretation of it all.

everything sounds right except for him keeping the ocarina. zelda gives him the new timeline's ocarina of time in a flashback you see in majora's mask.

So in summary, Majora's Mask is indeed the direct sequel to OoT in all respects :p

I think Muskweeto has nailed pretty definitively how the two timelines split and how it effects subsequent games. Nothing I can think of from any game seems to disprove this so I can't really see how it's not correct. Interesting about Wind Waker nonetheless. So is Spirit Tracks now the 'furthest' ahead in time?

AniHawk

So in summary, Majora's Mask is indeed the direct sequel to OoT in all respects :p

I think Muskweeto has nailed pretty definitively how the two timelines split and how it effects subsequent games. Nothing I can think of from any game seems to disprove this so I can't really see how it's not correct. Interesting about Wind Waker nonetheless. So is Spirit Tracks now the 'furthest' ahead in time?

most likely. there's no telling when twilight princess takes place with respect to the other timeline, but my theory is both ganondorfs try taking over hyrule around the same time. tww ganondorf is successful, and is only defeated thanks to divine intervention. tp ganondorf is defeated by zelda, midna, and link.

*pushes glasses up*

AniHawk

i stopped at the forest temple a week back and haven't played it since. now i have a little bit of time off, so i'll probably finish it up this week.

Ghost23

Ok, so I think I just got done with the bottom of the well (I went back to young link to do it), but for some reason, I feel like I didn't finish it all the way.
Are the only things you can get in there the lens of truth and the two gold coins?

GeekyDad

elektrixx said:
I backflipped over this in the deku tree back in the day. I never hit the switch until today!

Ha, ha. Great anecdote to illustrate one of the many things that make this game great. I've checked out video after the fact to see how other folks have handled certain parts of the game, and it's always interesting to see the different solutions or differences in play style.

FuzzyNorman said:
Ok, so I think I just got done with the bottom of the well (I went back to young link to do it), but for some reason, I feel like I didn't finish it all the way.
Are the only things you can get in there the lens of truth and the two gold coins?

There are three gold skulltulas at the bottom of the well. Check your map and you'll know if you have them all from a particular dungeon as you'll see the skull icon next to the dungeon name :)

Roto13

I just finished Okamiden and I think I'm going to go back to Ocarina of Time and play through Master Quest. I played the GameCube version but that was a long time ago and the only thing I remember about it specifically was
that there were cows in the wall of Jabu Jabu's belly that were
awesome. :p I know the mirrored world is going to screw me up.

Muskweeto

AniHawk said:
there's no telling when twilight princess takes place with respect to the other timeline, but my theory is both ganondorfs try taking over hyrule around the same time.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but to clarify, when you say both Ganondorf's tried to take over Hyrule at the same time, are you referring to the events of OOT? If not then both Ganondorf's did not try to take over Hyrule at the same time.

TWW Ganondorf escaped from the Secred Realm that he was imprisoned in at the end of OOT and took over Hyrule, and since Link had been sent back in time to his childhood, thus killing off the hero's bloodline from the adult timeline, there was nobody to stop the Triforce of power wielding Ganondorf so the Gods intervened by flooding Hyrule which lead to the events of TWW.

TP Ganondorf never received the Triforce of power due to being stopped by Link before the gate to the Secred Realm was ever opened in the child timeline. Since Ganondorf never caused his raign of destruction on Hyrule, the original Sages never died, so the original Sages tried imprisoning Ganondorf and killing him by stabbing him with a sword but in doing so the Triforce of Power ended up making its way to him anyway because he was fated to have it all along, so Ganondorf removed the sword from his chest, attacked the sages and escaped, Leading to the events of TP.

Mega Man

This is the most frustrating game ever! I've never played it before and cannot get to the forest temple. Even Game Faqs tell me to just go back to where Saria taught me the song in the lost forest, BUT I DONT REMEMBER WHERE THAT WAS... can someone help me? I already got the hookshot

AniHawk

Muskweeto said:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but to clarify, when you say both Ganondorf's tried to take over Hyrule at the same time, are you referring to the events of OOT? If not then both Ganondorf's did not try to take over Hyrule at the same time.

i'm saying that the events of twilight princess coincide with tww breaking free from the sacred realm and taking over hyrule in pre-tww.

AniHawk

Mega Man said:
This is the most frustrating game ever! I've never played it before and cannot get to the forest temple. Even Game Faqs tell me to just go back to where Saria taught me the song in the lost forest, BUT I DONT REMEMBER WHERE THAT WAS... can someone help me? I already got the hookshot
the lost woods? it's in the kokiri forest.

Roto13

Mega Man said:
Yeah I'm there. Now what? It continues to lead me to a dead end...
Well, I'm not going to tell you the exact directions because I'll probably mess them up, but if you stand right on the edge of a black area in the lost woods, you'll be able to see through it if it leads somewhere, or it will just be black if it leads to the entrance.

Mega Man

Roto13 said:
Well, I'm not going to tell you the exact directions because I'll probably mess them up, but if you stand right on the edge of a black area in the lost woods, you'll be able to see through it if it leads somewhere, or it will just be black if it leads to the entrance.
yeah I got that, and I go through the forest all the way until I get to a point where all three options lead me to the entrance. so it's a dead end.. am I missing something? The broad in the temple of time tells me to find the forest girl but I'm completely lost as to what I have to do

Anth0ny

Mega Man said:
Yeah I'm there. Now what? It continues to lead me to a dead end...

Did you get past the maze? there is a tree in front of the temple that you can hookshot up to.

If you see a huge triforce on the floor, you're in the right place.

Top Bottom