• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

SoulstealerMex

Neo Member
AniHawk said:
so i beat it last night. it was probably the last time i'll go through ocarina of time.

i remember in 2003 when the wind waker came out that...

TP is indeed the pinacle of the Zelda OOT formula (sans the empty overworld), I will never understad the hate that some guys give to it. WW wasn't as well build, and the dungeons were pretty standard (I barely remember any), while the artstyle was a sight to behold, it felt rushed towards the end.

As soon as I finished OOT 3d, I knew it was the nostalgia talking but I realized that very few games have that nearly perfect pacing (TP and WW pacing is not at this level, can't say anything about MM because I have never played it) and even with the easy dungeons/bosses remains as one of the top achievements in gaming!

I can't wait for a new Zelda on the 3DS! (less PH/ST and more ALLTP/LA please!)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Nintendo really should distribute a demo of sorts for this to kiosks. Compared to Steel Diver and Pilotwings, it's the only game I have yet seen where the 3D concept sells itself quite well.

A Best Buy employee was nice enough to show me the game running on his personal system he had on hand after understandably watching me try the pitiful Steel Diver demo at the store kiosk. A few seconds of playing the deku tree dungeon in full 3D was enough to push me over the edge yesterday to buy a unit on the spot.

Just a total night and day difference compared to Steel Diver.

God damn this game still holds up amazingly well too, the same thing I told myself back in 2003 when playing Master Quest on Gamecube. The 3D and light upgrades really make this game pop on the 3DS. I replayed all of TP last year, and I still argue OoT is WELL above and beyond that game, the pinnacle of the OoT formula is still OoT.

Muskweeto

OOT is just so well balanced, Other games in the series surpass it in some aspects but OOT doesn't have many week points.
It reminds me of why people like Chrono Trigger so much It doesn't really do anything much better than any other RPG but it does everything right with no real problems.
TWW comes in a VERY close second for me though, then probably LA then LTTP.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
elektrixx said:
For fuck's sake I've been playing for three hours as Young Link and there are no fish bigger than 10 pounds. The spot where the largest fish is meant to be is ALWAYS 10 pounds.

Funny you'd say that, i just grab a 11 pounds one near the log.

so1337

Just completed the Fire Temple. Got stuck at one point. Then I remembered that I got stuck at the exact same spot 10 years ago. Nostalgia overload.

Also, the Fire Temple is such a great showcase for 3D, especially if you're standing on a grating and looking down a chasm.

Muskweeto

Man, I decided to do gauntlet mode in 3D, I never play in 3D, it was pretty cool until I got to Jabu Jabu's boss, the slowdown made it a real bad experience.

Edit: by the way, off topic, when do you lose junior status? I found it once in the faq but now I can't seem to find it and I can't remember what it said.

shahkur

I think it was 300 posts and 3 months being active.

On=topic: Completed the game for the 1st time ever today. I'll post my thoughts in the morning.

Sendaquill

Neo Member
elektrixx said:
For fuck's sake I've been playing for three hours as Young Link and there are no fish bigger than 10 pounds. The spot where the largest fish is meant to be is ALWAYS 10 pounds.
Bisnic said:
Funny you'd say that, i just grab a 11 pounds one near the log.
In my experience, the biggest fish in the pond is given a random weight within a certain range, and as long as you catch that fish, you get the prize. For adult Link I think the range is 14-22; for young Link it might be 9-12.

AniHawk

Naked Snake said:
You're crazy. I think the game is extremely beautiful, thanks to the art and design, and of course the 3D.
well i really mean the textures. it might be okay for other things, but this is ocarina of time. a remake of a game like this deserved more than it got.

also, visually, the brightness was never as bad as i expected. or noticeable at all, really. i didn't miss the unintentional gloominess of the original at all.

BowieZ

Banned
so1337 said:
Just completed the Fire Temple. Got stuck at one point. Then I remembered that I got stuck at the exact same spot 10 years ago. Nostalgia overload.
I got stuck at a place where all I needed to do was jump over a gap onto a platform that I presumed wasn't possible. Spent like 3 hours to figure that out.

That where you meant?

Sendaquill

Neo Member
BowieZ said:
I got stuck at a place where all I needed to do was jump over a gap onto a platform that I presumed wasn't possible. Spent like 3 hours to figure that out.

That where you meant?
Oh man, in the room where the wall of fire appears behind you and chases you? I got stuck in the exact same way back in the day. Oddly enough, I think it was on my second playthrough and not my first, lol.

Maaseru

Banned
AniHawk said:
well i really mean the textures. it might be okay for other things, but this is ocarina of time. a remake of a game like this deserved more than it got.

also, visually, the brightness was never as bad as i expected. or noticeable at all, really. i didn't miss the unintentional gloominess of the original at all.
IMO I think it go more than I had hoped. I was just expecting a crisper port of oot with 3D visual, but this really really surprised me. There could have been a lot more work done to this remake, but I also think that would have taken some of the magic away. Although some new stages or dungeons and such would have been great.

Just finished the Fire Temple (without hints), and it's been my favorite part of the game so far, it seemed really well put together and I enjoyed the difficulty as well. Although the wack-a-dragon boss was a bit lame, I usually abused my invincibility frames to hit him after I'd been given a faceful of fire because he gave me so little time to run up to him and deliver a hit. Using this "strategy", I killed him pretty quickly.

Is there any way to hurt the boss while he's flying around? His weak spot kept on blinking like mad but my arrows didn't seem to do anything.

Oh, and one more thing: Is there a way to kill the weird spinning miniboss-type fire things if you've run out of bombs? I had to have him kill me like twice because I didn't have any bombs left because hardly any pots or enemies like to cough up bomb refills.

I still can't get used to how little there is to do in Hyrule Field, though, it seems like the biggest drawback of the game. I also really suck at finding upgrades, in my favorite 2D Zelda games, the overworld seemed full of them but here I keep on looking for opportunities to use my shiny new items but even if I find some, I almost never get heart pieces out of it.

Sendaquill said:
Oh man, in the room where the wall of fire appears behind you and chases you? I got stuck in the exact same way back in the day. Oddly enough, I think it was on my second playthrough and not my first, lol.
Took me a while to figure this out too, but I think there's a couple of somewhat high pillers with heart refills on them in this room, which I think are supposed to signal to you that it's possible to climb walls/jump across gaps that may look out of reach at first. Or something.

Jintor

BowieZ said:

That where you meant?

Oh hell yeah. Terrible :<

Poyunch

When Volvagia is going to breathe fire you can shoot him with arrows to force him down. Also Flare Dancer can be defeated using the hookshot. Not once did I need to use a bomb against them in the Fire Temple.

Argh, I think I even tried using the hookshot on the Dancer guys but it didn't seem to be hurting them. Oh well, I'm pretty bad at using the thing anyway. Looks like my second playthrough of the game is going to be easier. :p

dwu8991

Banned
Yoshi said:
I've played for about 50 hours completing both modes perfectly and I must say this game is still an absolute pleasure to be played. One of the greatest achievements of gaming and a must have for everyone who doesn't totally hate Action-Adventures.

I doubt it takes 50 hours to compelte both modes completly, you must have been going slow I reckon.

Huge OoT fan, and hater of the 3DS. I finally had the chance to play this game, and OMG!!, its so fucking amazing. The 3D in this game is amazing. This is a system-seller for me.

so1337

BowieZ said:

That where you meant?
Exactly.

isny

napkin dispenser
So, can I buy keys? I seem to have screwed myself in the Water Temple. I'm just going around in circles, and now I don't even have access to a room to change the water level =(

Atreides

isny said:
So, can I buy keys? I seem to have screwed myself in the Water Temple. I'm just going around in circles, and now I don't even have access to a room to change the water level =(

You can't buy keys. But you are always able to find a key you need in the same temple. You must have missed one. Look at the map to see what chests are left.

Neo Child

Banned
isny said:

Unfortunately not... there is always a way out remember that though it might get confusing at times. Try raising water levels and swimming through a mid-level door.

Or theres a place where you need to bomb the floor... you'll get it eventually. Consult the Sheikah stones if YOUR STUCK... or youtube.

Gravijah

Kerrby said:
I need Majoras Mask 3D in my veins.

Am I the only person who liked MM more than OoT?

What? Have you never stepped in a Zelda thread before? Of course you aren't! Really, the great thing about the series is that nearly every game is deserving of being someones "favorite."

isny

napkin dispenser
Neo Child said:
Unfortunately not... there is always a way out remember that though it might get confusing at times. Try raising water levels and swimming through a mid-level door.

Or theres a place where you need to bomb the floor... you'll get it eventually. Consult the Sheikah stones if YOUR STUCK... or youtube.

The stones helped me out, completely forgot about them, lol

Thanks!

Cygnus X-1

Yoshi said:
I've played for about 50 hours completing both modes perfectly and I must say this game is still an absolute pleasure to be played. One of the greatest achievements of gaming and a must have for everyone who doesn't totally hate Action-Adventures.

Agreed. I'm quite impressed how well it still is even after 13 years.

Kerrby said:
I need Majoras Mask 3D in my veins.

Am I the only person who liked MM more than OoT?

On GAF? No. Not at all!

Jackano

Just completed the all boss challenge in regular quest. This thing in MQ will be impossible. I will have maybe the right to do 1 mistake, no more. You think you often beat the boss without one single mystake? Yeah me too but the boss challenge give you a default item set. No biggoron sword, no fairy... I even got an empty bottle in a chest after the third boss, what the hell am I supposed to do with an empty bottle? Fighting back Phantom Ganon attacks?

I will give it a try in MQ but this is not the way I like difficulty, and not the way I like Zelda. It's only full of stress with unforgivables mistakes.
And it's kind of a lazy developers way to artificialy extends the game's lifespan.

But I love MQ, Master Quest in a new quest+ functionnality is the way to give us a difficult Zelda game.

Zoolader

Gravijah said:
What? Have you never stepped in a Zelda thread before? Of course you aren't! Really, the great thing about the series is that nearly every game is deserving of being someones "favorite."
except for twilight princess, that game was downright disappointing

Roto13

The mirrored Master Quest overworld is kind of annoying. I keep getting turned around but it's not like it feels like a new world or something.

I really need to jump back in this game. Have the first three dungeons complete and got my horse, but this always seems to be the stopping point for me. I played through the entire thing back in the day, and have attempted to replay it a couple of times since then (when they had the Zelda collector's disc for GC and then when it hit Wii's virtual console), but the furthest I tend to get is Adult Link and getting the horse.

Also, would love Majora's Mask to come out as well. One of the few Zelda's I've never completed.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
so i beat it last night. it was probably the last time i'll go through ocarina of time.

i remember in 2003 when the wind waker came out that immediately after i beat the game, i said it was better than ocarina of time, and i held that stance throughout most of the year, until early 2004 when i replayed tww. in 2006, i felt twilight princess was oot's superior, unquestionably so. but, by that next year, i was back to saying oot might not be the best but that it was still my favorite.

but now, i think it's definitely time to retire it from my top games evar spot. in fact, i think i might've been right about tww in 2003- i just didn't want to confirm it with a full playthrough of oot again so soon after going through master quest.

i was ready for the small, emptyish overworld, but i wasn't prepared for the short, easy, and basic dungeons. the first three in particular were the biggest offenders. the forest temple ramped things up, but it slowed down during the fire temple (with *knowing* where the keys were), and really slowed down in the water temple. the shadow temple and spirit temple provided a great finale at least- and the latter in particular may be the one that holds up the best out of the entire experience.

it makes sense that the level design is the way it is- nobody was used to 3d gaming, not even nintendo. that's why the game challenged people in 1998 and why later games are thought of as easy, when really it was the thinking that had caught up to the developers. i'm sure that any twilight princess dungeon would stump most people who found ocarina challenging in 1998. it also makes ocarina kinda the perfect candidate for the 3ds- nintendo was designing around the idea of whoa 3d!! before other technology had caught up to it.

and then you have oot's next-gen sequel, the wind waker, which goes more for a swashbuckling theme in its design, allowing link to fly around levels in different ways in dungeons that are more complex. twilight princess was the maturation of oot's formula, made by a team that had been familiar with 3d space for a decade.

oot3d was also kind of a disappointing remake. okay, so it's got the content in the master quest and boss rush mode (which people have been asking from zelda games since oot and probably earlier), but visually it's pretty bland, and the soundtrack remaining the same was a huge disappointment.

i finished oot3d in 16 hours on a fairly bare-bones run. while i was unimpressed with a lot of it, i did enjoy the final few hours quite a bit, and who can hate on that finale?
it still holds up wonderfully, from the climb up the tower, to the escape while it collapses, ganondorf's resurrection as ganon, and finally the credits scene after a job well done
. at the end, i was satisfied that i had beaten the game a fourth time, this time with improved visuals and animation (oh and inventory!), but yeah, it's no longer the undisputed number one, even on a scale of 'well what is your irrational feeling toward this' scale.

and now i want to play the wind waker again.

i'm on the same page as you. OoT will always have its place in my mind but it has dropped drastically in my standings. It's been surpassed too dramatically for me to really applaud it.

Also I agree with the visuals although I won't even be as kind as you. It's kinda still completely ugly.

Still, it's a good game even after all this time. It's just not great anymore, I'd say. I played this game 30+ times and I think this will be the last officially.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Amir0x said:
i'm on the same page as you. OoT will always have its place in my mind but it has dropped drastically in my standings. It's been surpassed too dramatically for me to really applaud it.

I'm curious. I can see how bits of it have been surpassed by various games over the years - but the whole thing? Surpassed by what game? I need to play it, whatever it is.

Amir0x

Banned
phisheep said:
I'm curious. I can see how bits of it have been surpassed by various games over the years - but the whole thing? Surpassed by what game? I need to play it, whatever it is.

Twilight Princess is markedly superior to Ocarina of Time in almost all ways, to begin gently. But various games have done things individually much superior to Ocarina. Okami has demolished various aspects of this game. Wind Waker has surpassed much of it. Hell, Darksiders - which I'm not even particularly fond of - has surpassed it mechanically in many numerous ways.

Ocarina's dungeons are too simple by modern standards; the lack of camera controls blow; the jumping still sucks after all these years; the graphics are still substandard; and little annoyances like returning to your forest village, for example, or later the Temple of Time no matter where you save at never ceases to be infuriatingly lame old school design.

It's just a combination of little things. The game is a product of its time.

I respectfully disagree with anyone who doesn't feel so.

Muskweeto

Amir0x said:
Twilight Princess is markedly superior to Ocarina of Time in almost all ways, to begin gently. But various games have done things individually much superior to Ocarina. Okami has demolished various aspects of this game. Wind Waker has surpassed much of it. Hell, Darksiders - which I'm not even particularly fond of - has surpassed it mechanically in many numerous ways.

Ocarina's dungeons are too simple by modern standards; the lack of camera controls blow; the jumping still sucks after all these years; the graphics are still substandard; and little annoyances like returning to your forest village, for example, or later the Temple of Time no matter where you save at never ceases to be infuriatingly lame old school design.

It's just a combination of little things. The game is a product of its time.

I respectfully disagree with anyone who doesn't feel so.
You're basically right on all accounts, I loved the Twilight Princess from a gameplay perspective much more than Ocarina of Time, it was just the story and sometimes very slow progression that turned me off from it toping OOT, and I like The Wind Waker pretty much just as much as OOT, But OOT just hits a sweet spot for me that probably won't be toped.

So, while it may still be a lot of peoples favorite and held in high regard by many, there's no denying other games have toped it from a technical standpoint.

Peru

Still think it's the best Zelda game, the one that flows the best, the one with the most natural availability of varied side missions and fun time-wasting alongside the main quest. With the new version the dated technical elements are gone and it's semented as the best of the series.

Neiteio

Still waiting for a 3D Zelda with the pacing of OoT, the sidequest density of MM, the look and feel of TWW, the combat of TWW (music cues with each sword strike, elastically animated enemies, picking up enemy weapons, etc), and the dungeon complexity of TP, in particular Snowpeak Ruins, City in the Sky, etc. Also, MM's brains and TWW's heart.

We have reason to think Skyward Sword may come close to many of these aspects, though I still haven't warmed up to its art style yet. In the E3 2011 trailer, the bit where they show the villagers, their colors look jarringly out of place against the watercolor backdrops. And everything still looks too faded and whitewashed and blurry. TWW remains the zenith of the series' art style, with eye-popping colors so bold and solid you feel like you can reach inside the screen and touch them.

loosus

Banned
It's pretty damned disappointing that things like the save points (where you always start the game in Link's house or the Temple of Time) were not updated. I mean, I really doubt anybody feels nostalgic about an aspect of the game that is borderline broken.

There are lots of other little things that I feel could be safely changed without enraging the hardcore Ocarina of Time fans. Hell, I honestly had forgotten that Ocarina of Time even saved like that...until I fucking started the game again and realize that it was not starting where I last saved. Now, that was enraging.

Sendaquill

Neo Member
magicalsoundshower said:
Argh, I think I even tried using the hookshot on the Dancer guys but it didn't seem to be hurting them. Oh well, I'm pretty bad at using the thing anyway. Looks like my second playthrough of the game is going to be easier. :p
The Megaton Hammer also works. You weren't trying to hit them with the hookshot after they started running, were you? You only need to hit them with a bomb/hookshot/hammer while they're dancing, then you can use your sword or whatever once they start running around the room.

Neiteio said:
Still waiting for a 3D Zelda with the pacing of OoT, the sidequest density of MM, the look and feel of TWW, the combat of TWW (music cues with each sword strike, elastically animated enemies, picking up enemy weapons, etc), and the dungeon complexity of TP, in particular Snowpeak Ruins, City in the Sky, etc. Also, MM's brains and TWW's heart.
I agree almost entirely (I don't remember TP's dungeons well enough to comment there). I tend to have trouble saying which 3D Zelda is my favorite, because I feel like each has a couple of things it does better than the others. I set myself up for disappointment by hoping TP would bring together the best of the other three, but I really didn't feel I was asking for much.

As far as OoT's save function.. First of all, if you save in a dungeon and reload, it'll start in you that dungeon (people seem to be forgetting/ignoring this). Also, considering how little time it takes to get anywhere in this game (the world isn't THAT big, and you have warp songs, the shortcuts in the lost woods and zora's domain, the bean plants, and Epona), having to start in the Temple of Time/Link's house doesn't really bother me. However, if you're playing for shorter sessions, I can see how it would get old, and the developers really should've realized that would've been a good thing to update.

Myansie

Amir0x said:

Eh? Did you turn off the gyro controls and 3D?

Amir0x

Banned
Myansie said:
Eh? Did you turn off the gyro controls and 3D?

yes. I never use gyro and I never use 3D.

However 3D does not make substandard graphics magically standard. If you're going to argue that the 3D does that let's just save everyone time and move on and not derail the topic (and actually, there is an IMPROVEMENT in 3D off - AA). Gyro is for when you actually click the view button and stand in place. I'm talking about actual camera control. As in while you're running about you can shift the camera about at the same time. The only approximation is to instant shift camera behind back they got going on, same as in N64 original.

Kerrby

Banned
Amir0x said:
yes. I never use gyro and I never use 3D.

However 3D does not make substandard graphics magically standard. If you're going to argue that the 3D does that let's just save everyone time and move on and not derail the topic (and actually, there is an IMPROVEMENT in 3D off - AA). Gyro is for when you actually click the view button and stand in place. I'm talking about actual camera control. As in while you're running about you can shift the camera about at the same time.

How would you be able to do that with one analog stick though?

i disagree, the length, pace, mixture between overworld and dungeons and between main quest and side quest are better than any zelda (or zelda like) game. i also prefer OoT dungeons over any other dungeons.

Muskweeto

Amir0x said:
I'm talking about actual camera control. As in while you're running about you can shift the camera about at the same time. The only approximation is to instant shift camera behind back they got going on, same as in N64 original.
While this would be nice, I can't think of a good way of implementing that for the 3DS' current design.

You could use the touchscreen but I really didn't like that in Super Mario 64 DS, or I guess you could map it to the D-pad but then that raises the issue of not being able to control Link and the camera at the same time.

If you have a better idea that I'm not thinking of I'd love to hear it.

Myansie

Amir0x said:
However 3D does not make substandard graphics magically standard. If you're going to argue that the 3D does that let's just save everyone time and move on and not derail the topic (and actually, there is an IMPROVEMENT in 3D off - AA). Gyro is for when you actually click the view button and stand in place. I'm talking about actual camera control. As in while you're running about you can shift the camera about at the same time. The only approximation is to instant shift camera behind back they got going on, same as in N64 original.

Hold L, you go into strafe mode and the gyros kick in (Miyamoto's contribution supposedly). By the end of the game I was using this far more than the stop and look.

3D is part of the thread title, it seems like a good place to talk about it. Personally I love it. I found the 3D gorgeous to look at, it opens up the screen and makes it feel like you can reach in and be apart of the world. Playing Oot on N64 way back when felt so amazing at the time because it was the first game to really draw you into it's 3D world. It was more than just a game. It is the perfect game for Nintendo to port in their post launch title glut as the emotion the 3D gives the game mirrors those same emotions the title originally inspired.

Top Bottom