• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Futureman

Deku said:
Intentional AFAIK, they discussed this in Iwata Asks on this.

The slowdown on the N64 was real because they were pushing the N64 to its limits and it had the unintended consequence of making the final battle more epic.

So they kept it.

Someone correct me if I misread that bit.

Pretty sure I read all the Iwata Asks and don't remember that. Could be wrong though.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
zruben said:
I just wanted to say that I'm going to buy a 3DS and Zelda OoT next week.

I haven't played OoT since I finished it back in 1998 (replayed MM a LOT of times); and I have been reading this thread since the launch of the game, and I'm hyped as hell o_O!!!

also, I haven't tried a 3DS yet... I hope I'll be able to enjoy it

edit: I mean the 3D effect, I'm kinda worried because on 3D movies I don't see a great difference =/

I was in a similar boat, except I had played the kiosk 3DS demos of Pilotwings and Steel Diver. Both of those games practically deterred me from the system as the 3D effect is barely noticeable/weakly implemented and the experiences are pretty damn embarrassing for $40 releases on a $250 console.

Ten seconds of being shown Zelda however, and the concept immediately became apparent. The 3D effect is astounding and does add a :grumble: more inviting 'novelty' appeal beyond what I had seen previously. Taking away the 3D and you are left with a relatively modest upgrade to the N64 classic wherein the merits are understandably arguable. With it turned on, and it's quite a uniquely satisfying visual experience.

Ridge Racer, which I also just picked up, is similar. Modest game in terms of fidelity for the franchise and what the system is capable, but with the 3D, there is an argument to be had about it's visual thrills that is unclear without.

Amir0x

Banned
kr2t0s said:
I can't believe anyone is not calling this a visual masterpiece.

I mean seriously think about it for a second....we are playing OoT in 3D WITHOUT GLASSES!

Not only is it in 3d without glasses, but it runs at a constant frame rate and the visuals are nothing short of amazing.

Have you gone back to look at OoT lately? I looked up something on youtube because I was stuck in one section - was blown away how different the 3ds version looks compared to the n64 version.

This game is nothing short of a technical marvel in all honesty.

A visual masterpiece. Heh. Riiight. I know how Ocarina of Time looks - I've played it 30 times. I also know how this latest version looks. My standard of how good something looks isn't "does it improve upon an n64 game." My standard of how good something looks is "does it look good compared to what the system is capable of, and also what the going standard is of games across the board." The "visuals are nothing short of amazing" is preposterous and I firmly disagree in the strongest possible terms. It's mediocre even by comparison to what 3DS IS capable of. Star Fox 64 3D, which is another N64 upgrade, is a massively superior visual upgrade over its original. Just look at the scene with the lava in some of the trailers for StarFox 64 3D to see the type of effort that distinguishes merely going through the motions and actually trying to separate yourself.

Ocarina of Time is a substandard production; it still readily attains its N64 roots in some of its geometrical layouts and character models specifically suffer from true ugliness. There are STILL framerate drops - and I played it in 2D, not 3D. I can't imagine it in 3D. Goodness that must suck.

It is an improvement in every way to the N64 original, which does not then suddenly equal "a technical masterpiece." It's absurd to even consider such a statement, and I'm a master of hyperbole.

Anihawk said:
i watched the intro from twilight princess again, and i forgot just how awesome that game looked in 2006. it's hard to imagine that tp is as old as oot was when the wind waker came out- the design is just that much more terrific. just the sense of scale and history in the look of the dungeons does a lot to make them feel modern compared to what most of the stuff in ocarina (and majora's mask) looked like.

the one thing i think still holds up extremely well from oot is the pacing. the wind waker had huge pacing issues, and while i was okay with it, lots of people had problems with the pacing of twilight princess, at least at the start. ocarina pretty much goes dungeon -> dungeon -> dungeon, with some stuff done in-between (and those are usually mini-dungeons like inside the well, the ice cavern, young link spirit temple, etc).

Yeah Twilight is fantastic. I never had a problem with the introduction either. I enjoyed the "calm before the storm", these moments define what you fight for. It's the same in Wind Waker and the same BASICALLY in the truncated Ocarina of Time. I enjoy allowing these moments to settle, to flesh out motivation, and I believe Twilight Princess did a fantastic job of it. I probably would have done without the light orb collection thing, but that's about it - I have far more complaints about Ocarina than I do TP.

The dungeons are just incalculably superior in TP. There is a sense of history, yes, but infinitely superior sense of spacial awareness, lateral thinking and all around more complex, intelligent design. In Ocarina of Time, even after 30 playthroughs, I was still remarking at how even though it's a good game it simply falls so short to its successors in this regard. Even Wind Waker, as far as I'm concerned, does much more with its 3D space and puzzle implementation. And boss design. Twilight Princess just demolishes Ocarina of Time in bosses.

I understand some people like simplicity; I don't unless the design specifically improves for it. But it doesn't. In most cases it's just got an empty, 'learners permit' feel to it that just is distracting when you have so much superior to compare it to imo.

Chopper said:
But...but... if you never use 3D (which I respectfully consider to be an insane act of snobbery, considering your experience with the 3DS's 3D is ultimately, allegedly nil.) how can you possibly say that the AA found in 2D mode is an improvement? Personally, I prefer the way the game looks in 3D, as the AA is not particularly impressive, as do many others here. I imagine that makes me an idiot in your eyes. But still, it is an opinion as valid as yours. Probably moreso, in fact.

Anyway, whilst OoT might not be the "best" zelda game, it's certainly my favourite.

I've seen comparison pics to know what looks better and I know what I prefer in general terms; I've played 3D games before and I've experienced autostereoscopic 3D. Yadda yadda same old same old. Everyone knows the story. 3DS inferior autostereoscopic 3D technology is not going to change my opinion on it. One day when we get 3D tech that doesn't suck I'll be on board as I've always said.

milkyjay20 said:
oh, markedly superior huh? well that settles it then.

It sure does.

milkyjay20 said:
i don't know if you've seen the wiki yet, but okami is an absolutely stupid ass game. but humor me... which aspects? would it be...................................................... the graphics? or what i'd like to call raped by color

It is better in many many ways; in movement, camera control, inventory management, even some dungeons are superior. And yes, in its gorgeous visuals and in its astoundingly expansive soundtrack. I understand your attempt to try to discredit visuals as an important distinguisher but as always visuals are one of the most important aspects of games and, as a general rule, is a huge part of defining what is superior. But of course in Okami's case there are many other aspects that are generally better. Okami has awful pacing and repeat bosses, so in that regard, it is not better in all ways.

milkyjay20 said:
right, nothing like charting the open sea, a convenient island for every square, a convenient mind-numbing puzzle or enemy room for every island. now that's an adventure. which aspects? would it be............................................... the graphics? well it is one of the most beautiful games B-)

Mechanically it's improved substantially. Link feels better to control, is better animated, lock-on has been improved substantially and its dungeon design already showcases the seeds of the more complex, later generation design integration that is a mark of a greater handle on 3D game design. In particular, the Forbidden Woods, The Tower of the Gods and the Wind Temple showcase many many elements which are simply nowhere present in Ocarina but demonstrate a level of complexity and overall design elegance that Ocarina of Time lacks as a 'my-first-3D-Zelda' experience.

Downhome

I just got my shipping confirmation for the CD!

I only just got to play this game last night. I finally got the 3DS from my fiance, lol. I have only played it up to where you go into the Deku Tree, but I'm already blown away by the visuals and feel of the game overall. Just incredible so far. I can't wait to really dig into it now!

Morokh

I'm on board with Amirox with the "it's a great improvement over the N64, but still, not that impressive for the 3DS", and so is Starfox from all that we saw.

On the other hand I saw the game today running on a demo unit, and I was blown away by how the game looks in 3D, the 3D trailer really doesn't do it's justice.

All this talk about how Nintendo were only just beginning to explore the whole 3D space thing with Ocarina probably helps explain why the first big room in the fire temple (with the bridge, lava and moving platforms) has such a random layout with blocks whizzing all over the shop with no real rhyme or reason for where they are headed and red bubbles jumping out of the lava in non threatening positions.

The 3D is fantastic and dramatically improves the experience, but your mileage will vary based on whether or not you like 3D and/or actually try it.

Also, the gyro controls are undeniably superior to the traditional bow controls.
Then again, aiming a bow to shoot will always be better than steering it!

The only shame is that the 3D and gyro controls don't play well together. But having the option for one or the other depending on the scenario is fantastic, and like all red blooded gamers, I love options!

Muskweeto

Just got my email for the shipment of my CD too.

Anyone know a good place to see a review of the CD, or just a preview? Or is it basically just the OOT soundtrack with the extra orchestrated track?

Roto13

Muskweeto said:
Just got my email for the shipment of my CD too.

Anyone know a good place to see a review of the CD, or just a preview? Or is it basically just the OOT soundtrack with the extra orchestrated track?
It appears to be pretty much that. YOu've played the game, that's preview enough. :p

Morokh

civilstrife said:
The only shame is that the 3D and gyro controls don't play well together. But having the option for one or the other depending on the scenario is fantastic, and like all red blooded gamers, I love options!

I personally never had problems to aim in Face raiders with the 3D on since you always have the screen in front of you, the 3D AR games are another problem, but over time the weird effect you get when you move the device isn't affecting me as much as in the beginning.

jman2050

Beat the game.

The game definitely sells the 3D at the very least. It's jarring at first but playing it with the 3D on becomes almost second nature as you get into the groove of things, and it never really was distracting. Also helped that the visuals are vastly improved from the original game.

Unfortunately, upon replaying it, I am reminded once again that OoT is the least good 3D Zelda. Everything seems very small-scale, lots of ideas are thrown together with no real cohesion, combat is extremely simple by virtue of most enemies not having a lot of ways to attack and defend and, to be frank, none of the dungeons outside of the Forest Temple and Water Temple are all that good.

Hopefully this game gives impetus for Nintendo to rerelease Majora's Mask in 3D. That's what I'm REALLY waiting for.

Skilletor

civilstrife said:
The 3D is fantastic and dramatically improves the experience, but your mileage will vary based on whether or not you like 3D and/or actually try it.

Also, the gyro controls are undeniably superior to the traditional bow controls.
Then again, aiming a bow to shoot will always be better than steering it!

I'm waiting for 3D that impresses me. This didn't. The trailer for the new Mario impressed me w/ 3D, so that might be the first game to sell me on what I think is merely a gimmick at this point. Right now, the graphical benefits and improved framerate in every game I've played is better than what 3D offers.

I do like gyro controls, though. Only way to aim for me.

TEJ

Skilletor said:
It's an ugly ass N64 game with better textures.

The games visual improvement goes far beyond better textures. There are better character models for just about every npc {some are small, but those are just for minor npc's}. Link got a huge character model upgrade. Items have been visually improved. A lot of areas have things added to them, such as shops. It has a consistantly better framerate than the N64 version. Pre rendered areas are no longer pre rendered. etc etc etc

N64 game my ass.

Skilletor

TEJ said:
The games visual improvement goes far beyond better textures. There are better character models for just about every npc {some are small, but those are just for minor npc's}. Link got a huge character model upgrade. Items have been visually improved. A lot of areas have things added to them, such as shops. It has a consistantly better framerate than the N64 version. Pre rendered areas are no longer pre rendered. etc etc etc

N64 game my ass.

It's touched up, sure. Still looks like a game from that generation. It's an improvement, but it's an improvement over something a decade old. That doesn't take much work to make look better.

Not impressive or a showcase for what the system is capable of at all.

kr2t0s

Amir0x said:
A visual masterpiece. Heh. Riiight. I know how Ocarina of Time looks - I've played it 30 times. I also know how this latest version looks. My standard of how good something looks isn't "does it improve upon an n64 game." My standard of how good something looks is "does it look good compared to what the system is capable of, and also what the going standard is of games across the board." The "visuals are nothing short of amazing" is preposterous and I firmly disagree in the strongest possible terms. It's mediocre even by comparison to what 3DS IS capable of. Star Fox 64 3D, which is another N64 upgrade, is a massively superior visual upgrade over its original. Just look at the scene with the lava in some of the trailers for StarFox 64 3D to see the type of effort that distinguishes merely going through the motions and actually trying to separate yourself.

Ocarina of Time is a substandard production; it still readily attains its N64 roots in some of its geometrical layouts and character models specifically suffer from true ugliness. There are STILL framerate drops - and I played it in 2D, not 3D. I can't imagine it in 3D. Goodness that must suck.

It is an improvement in every way to the N64 original, which does not then suddenly equal "a technical masterpiece." It's absurd to even consider such a statement, and I'm a master of hyperbole.
I think where we are disagreeing is that you played it in 2d, while I played it in 3d. What I mean by this is I think the 3DS may be crippled in the long run by having to support both. IMO the 2D on the 3ds will always look 'subpar' because it has to do both.

You are comparing how OoT 2D remake compares to other 2D games and I'm comparing OoT 3D to well...there are basically only a handful of 3d games that don't require glasses and on a portable system.

And yes a launch game (lets be fair - OoT is a launch game that got delayed by a couple of months) should look inferior to a game that is coming out after launch. That being said - I haven't seen the Starfox videos. Never played the original (no N64 for me, I was too busy saving my quarters to play SF2, MK, KI, etc in the arcade at that time) so I didn't really seek it out. Have a link? (no pun intended...ok, maybe a little)

I still stand behind the fact that I think the game is amazing - portable 3d of arguably the best Zelda game.

TEJ

Skilletor said:
Still looks like a game from that generation.

No, it doesn't. The average 3D PS1 title was a blocky mess. The higher tier 3D games weren't much better. Saturn 3D was even worse.

N64 3D did look much better than those two.....in screenshots. Most of the "better" looking ones were low res and had godawful framerates.

Ok, so I have been playing this game for the first time ever.

Its ... really nice. I can see why it gets so much love. The 3D is also GREAT. This is hands down the best 3D I have seen on the 3DS to date (2nd would be Pokedex 3DS).

And its pretty damn hard. Mainly because it doesn't hold your hand as much. I mean, half the time I'm getting stuff right because I simply tried everything else. "Why isn't Big Brother doing shit? I opened the door with the song.
*an Hour later, after trying to jump into the big spinning statue over and over again I try to do the song for him again but now I'm RIGHT IN HIS FACE and it works."

Skilletor said:
I am. Right now. On the 3DS.

I have had to look at a youtube walk through for this that was for the n64 game ... this looks FAR better than the n64 game.

Skilletor said:
It looks like they took the N64 version of the game and polished it up. This does not look like a game built from the ground up for the 3DS. .
This is correct, this doesn't look like a 3DS ground-up LoZ ... but it sure as hell doesn't look like a N64 gen game either.

Skilletor

TEJ said:
No, it doesn't. The average 3D PS1 title was a blocky mess. The higher tier 3D games weren't much better. Saturn 3D was even worse.

N64 3D did look much better than those two.....in screenshots. Most of the "better" looking ones were low res and had godawful framerates.

It looks like they took the N64 version of the game and polished it up. This does not look like a game built from the ground up for the 3DS. It looks like an N64 game with added bells and whistles. Those bells and whistles do not magically make it look amazing. It looks very much like a game from the era it was made.

Brazil said:
Yeah, ok.

Glad we agree.

Black-Wind said:
This is correct, this doesn't look like a 3DS ground-up LoZ ... but it sure as hell doesn't look like a N64 gen game either.

Doesn't look like a ps2/GC/xbox game. Much worse than those. It's obvious to me the generation the game was made.

giggas

Skilletor said:
It looks like they took the N64 version of the game and polished it up. This does not look like a game built from the ground up for the 3DS. It looks like an N64 game with added bells and whistles. Those bells and whistles do not magically make it look amazing. It looks very much like a game from the era it was made.

Glad we agree.

You must be remembering OOT wrong. OOT3D doesn't appear to be built from the ground up for 3DS, but it's leagues ahead of what was going on in the N64 version. It could easily pass for a second or third year PS2/Gamecube title.

I'm done with my 3-heart run. Still trying to decide if I should tackle MQ right away or move on to MM and try the same thing, which could be harder since I might just end up completing a full heart by accident. XD

Skilletor said:
Glad we agree.

Are you enjoying this in some kind of twisted way?

Boney

Banned
Brandon F said:
I was in a similar boat, except I had played the kiosk 3DS demos of Pilotwings and Steel Diver. Both of those games practically deterred me from the system as the 3D effect is barely noticeable/weakly implemented and the experiences are pretty damn embarrassing for $40 releases on a $250 console.

Ten seconds of being shown Zelda however, and the concept immediately became apparent. The 3D effect is astounding and does add a :grumble: more inviting 'novelty' appeal beyond what I had seen previously. Taking away the 3D and you are left with a relatively modest upgrade to the N64 classic wherein the merits are understandably arguable. With it turned on, and it's quite a uniquely satisfying visual experience.

Ridge Racer, which I also just picked up, is similar. Modest game in terms of fidelity for the franchise and what the system is capable, but with the 3D, there is an argument to be had about it's visual thrills that is unclear without.
You thought Pilotwings was weak 3D and Ridge Racer was an enchancing 3D?

It's totally the opposite for me, PW made my eyes bleed but it was so deep and tangible, whereas RR feels pretty natural but it's nothing mind blowing.

Sennorin

Banned
jman2050 said:
Do people really need to be reminded again of what Ocarina of Time N64 actually looked like?

Why, didn´t Nintendo show the original OoT running on Wii U at E3?

Being a junior, I might want to add: that was sarcasm

Skilletor

giggas said:
You must be remembering OOT wrong. OOT3D doesn't appear to be built from the ground up for 3DS, but it's leagues ahead of what was going on in the N64 version. It could easily pass for a second or third year PS2/Gamecube title.

Wind Waker came out in 2002, a year after the JP launch.

Got this and a 3ds last week, loving replaying it but I'm not sure the 3d effect works great with me. Never had a problem with films but playing Zelda I am getting quite a bit of a double vision type effect.

The cutscenes are fine though weirdly!

Symphonic

Skilletor said:
It's touched up, sure. Still looks like a game from that generation.

The fuck?

Dk64_jungle.jpg

compared to

zelda-3ds-06.jpg

I think nostalgia is getting the better of you, dude.

giggas

Skilletor said:
Wind Waker came out in 2002, a year after the JP launch.

Wind Waker has the distinction of being in a class of its own, but if you looked at the competition, it's pretty much on par.

Regardless, it's far and away better looking than the original.

loblaw said:
The fuck?

I think nostalgia is getting the better of you, dude.

Both sides of the argument are quite valid, as what you're doing here is posting one of the most ugly and barren areas in DK64 to one of the very few areas in OOT 3D that has been entirely remade because the orginal version used low quality CGI backgrounds and therefore uses a decent chunk of the machine's horsepower.

Most of OOT 3D uses N64 geometry and while it looks a ton better I can absolutely see where people saying that it is lower quality than they expected are coming from.

I'm pretty sick of seeing that shop image and other images of similar areas like castle town paraded about like it is representative of the entire game, because it just bloody isn't.

Amir0x

Banned
Anth0ny said:
I'm loving those 1 fps shots of the each player's face. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? Why is it in the trailer? :lol

i dunno dude. The game isn't even online! It's so retarded.

Skilletor

APZonerunner said:
Both sides of the argument are quite valid, as what you're doing here is posting one of the most ugly and barren areas in DK64 to one of the very few areas in OOT 3D that has been entirely remade because the orginal version used low quality CGI backgrounds and therefore uses a decent chunk of the machine's horsepower.

Most of OOT 3D uses N64 geometry and while it looks a ton better I can absolutely see where people saying that it is lower quality than they expected are coming from.

I'm pretty sick of seeing that shop image and other images of similar areas like castle town paraded about like it is representative of the entire game, because it just bloody isn't.

Right.

Like...is this so awesome, or what?

Zelda-Ocarina-of-Time-3DS-Screenshots-1.jpg

The game is horribly inconsistent, but, again, bells and whistles over an N64 game. It looks better, yes, but nothing to make me want to show this game off to my friends as a showcase.

Symphonic

APZonerunner said:

Fair point. Wasn't trying to say the game looks amazing graphics wise, I'm just trying to get the point across that it looks nothing like a 64 game, which obviously isn't going to work with the people that believe so because they're too hellbent on being right.

Deku

Banned
Futureman said:
Pretty sure I read all the Iwata Asks and don't remember that. Could be wrong though.
Found it!
Iwata Asks (Grezzo)

Moriya:
That's right. When there was a number assuming a processing delay, we held our heads in dismay!

Aonuma:
Back then, we might assume a processing delay would occur, but we would work hard to find a way so that players wouldn't pick up on it. In particular, the battle against Ganon7 was sluggish. 7. Ganon: A boss character that appears in The Legend of Zelda series.

Iwata:
But that slightly heavy feeling made Ganon seem large and heavy.

Aonuma:
That's right! If his movements were swift and sharp, it would be weird.

Shimizu:
Recreating that is hard.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/3/1

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Deku said:
Found it!

Yeah, he's talking about Ganon moving slowly, not Ganondorf causing slowdown.

I did notice that Ganon no longer felt as slow and lumbering though. Can't say I'm a fan of that change. Or his Erect tail.

Top Bottom