• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

kr2t0s

I can't believe anyone is not calling this a visual masterpiece.

I mean seriously think about it for a second....we are playing OoT in 3D WITHOUT GLASSES!

Not only is it in 3d without glasses, but it runs at a constant frame rate and the visuals are nothing short of amazing.

Have you gone back to look at OoT lately? I looked up something on youtube because I was stuck in one section - was blown away how different the 3ds version looks compared to the n64 version.

This game is nothing short of a technical marvel in all honesty.

Futureman

30 seconds into final boss battle and low battery started flashing.

About to jump back in now though.

This'll probably be my final run through of the game. It will be my second time beating it (first completion was Gamecube Master Quest version).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Without 3d, this console would be a real limp device in the wake of the ps vita announcement and iOS domination.

I can't fathom playing a 3ds game without it. Zelda in particular earns quite a bit of new life thanks to it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
kr2t0s said:

I mean seriously think about it for a second....we are playing OoT in 3D WITHOUT GLASSES!

Not only is it in 3d without glasses, but it runs at a constant frame rate and the visuals are nothing short of amazing.

Have you gone back to look at OoT lately? I looked up something on youtube because I was stuck in one section - was blown away how different the 3ds version looks compared to the n64 version.

I mean the 3D is great but let's not enter HYPERBOLE LAND, the 3D does not factor into any true discussion of visuals, as it's sort of a given for anything on the machine. That said, I do think the visuals themselves, particularly the texturing and lighting, are absolutely fabulous. The game really does a good job of achieving the style it was going for.

Also: yes the gyro camera controls were a true improvement, the free-look gyro, not the first-person gyro. I used that all the time to peer around, I think gyro controls can really be used well to that effect, not to emulate a right-camera-stick outright, but provide SOME semblance of camera manipulation in games like this.

senador

Banned
Playing Master Quest and doing the the side stuff I skipped on the first play through. Getting a bomb in the urn in Goron City is a pain let alone with the right timing for the heart piece. Any advice?

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Twilight Princess is markedly superior to Ocarina of Time in almost all ways, to begin gently. But various games have done things individually much superior to Ocarina. Okami has demolished various aspects of this game. Wind Waker has surpassed much of it. Hell, Darksiders - which I'm not even particularly fond of - has surpassed it mechanically in many numerous ways.

Ocarina's dungeons are too simple by modern standards; the lack of camera controls blow; the jumping still sucks after all these years; the graphics are still substandard; and little annoyances like returning to your forest village, for example, or later the Temple of Time no matter where you save at never ceases to be infuriatingly lame old school design.

It's just a combination of little things. The game is a product of its time.

I respectfully disagree with anyone who doesn't feel so.

i watched the intro from twilight princess again, and i forgot just how awesome that game looked in 2006. it's hard to imagine that tp is as old as oot was when the wind waker came out- the design is just that much more terrific. just the sense of scale and history in the look of the dungeons does a lot to make them feel modern compared to what most of the stuff in ocarina (and majora's mask) looked like.

the one thing i think still holds up extremely well from oot is the pacing. the wind waker had huge pacing issues, and while i was okay with it, lots of people had problems with the pacing of twilight princess, at least at the start. ocarina pretty much goes dungeon -> dungeon -> dungeon, with some stuff done in-between (and those are usually mini-dungeons like inside the well, the ice cavern, young link spirit temple, etc).

I agree, I‘d say that with the exception of maybe MM, pacing is the one thing OoT has yet to be beaten by a 3d Zelda. There‘s nothing wrong with stuff that isn‘t a dungeon, but TP felt like it took way too long to start for example.

TP took about 45 minutes longer than it needed to get going. The mandatory collections constantly getting in the way along with some of the wolf sections being dry took away from it as well. I still think it was an awesome game though. Really great in so many ways.

SpokkX

Yeah TP is way to slow overall with of stuff feeling really dragged out.

Espcecially the beginning is slow, with lots of tutorials and sloooow story sections.. the wolf sections were also a bit repetative in the first part of the game (collecting tears etc)

Anyway I loved the game but it is easily the worst 3d Zelda (though "worst" is still really good here)

OOT never gets boring and never overstays it welcome.

Rehynn

AniHawk said:
the one thing i think still holds up extremely well from oot is the pacing.
I totally agree. Having played the crap out of the game back in the day, I appreciate and notice different aspects of it this time around, and the excellent pacing is one of them. And it's not just how the dungeons get more complex, but also how the amount of extra stuff to do increases and how sidequests and minigames often feel like integral parts of the main quest even though they are not essential to it.

I also see where you're coming from with your previous comment about the game having been surpassed by subsequent entries in the series. I would still call it my favorite though, it just feels right when I play it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
dwu8991 said:
I doubt it takes 50 hours to compelte both modes completly, you must have been going slow I reckon.
I wasn't deliberately slowing down, but I wasn't rushing either. Some Skulltulas took some time and I also always suck at hunting poes.

Chopper

Amir0x said:
yes. I never use gyro and I never use 3D.

However 3D does not make substandard graphics magically standard. If you're going to argue that the 3D does that let's just save everyone time and move on and not derail the topic (and actually, there is an IMPROVEMENT in 3D off - AA). Gyro is for when you actually click the view button and stand in place. I'm talking about actual camera control.
But...but... if you never use 3D (which I respectfully consider to be an insane act of snobbery, considering your experience with the 3DS's 3D is ultimately, allegedly nil.) how can you possibly say that the AA found in 2D mode is an improvement? Personally, I prefer the way the game looks in 3D, as the AA is not particularly impressive, as do many others here. I imagine that makes me an idiot in your eyes. But still, it is an opinion as valid as yours. Probably moreso, in fact.

Anyway, whilst OoT might not be the "best" zelda game, it's certainly my favourite.

AniHawk said:
it makes sense that the level design is the way it is- nobody was used to 3d gaming, not even nintendo. that's why the game challenged people in 1998 and why later games are thought of as easy, when really it was the thinking that had caught up to the developers. i'm sure that any twilight princess dungeon would stump most people who found ocarina challenging in 1998.

my brother sailed through twilight princess faster than i did, a hardcore zelda nut. that's because i was giving TP a little too much credit; i backtracked, when i should've looked around for the little doodad in the room i was currently in. the reason why people think TWW and TP are easy is because they are easy. it's simply a matter of solving the puzzle. there's never a moment where you're holding more than two keys, and that has never been the case before the gamecube.

Amir0x said:
Twilight Princess is markedly superior to Ocarina of Time in almost all ways, to begin gently.

oh, markedly superior huh? well that settles it then.

Okami has demolished various aspects of this game

i don't know if you've seen the wiki yet, but okami is an absolutely stupid ass game. but humor me... which aspects? would it be...................................................... the graphics?
or what i'd like to call raped by color

Wind Waker has surpassed much of it

right, nothing like charting the open sea, a convenient island for every square, a convenient mind-numbing puzzle or enemy room for every island. now that's an adventure. which aspects? would it be............................................... the graphics?
well it is one of the most beautiful games B-)

Hell, Darksiders - which I'm not even particularly fond of - has surpassed it mechanically in many numerous ways.

hoho

i'm guessing you'll say these games have better controls, which would be wrong because OoT's controls are still nice and tight. GC link animates whenever they turn around, while N64 link actually fucking turns around when you ask him to. the menu is a little cumbersome, but that's not a very big deal.

Ocarina's dungeons are too simple by modern standards

define simple

Jintor

I think they're at just the right level of complexity, where I can get stuck somewhere but not feel like the game was being unfair for getting me stuck

Just finished the Water Temple, that place is great, although I hear you had to go into the menu every time to change to the boots back on the '64 and that must have been hella annoying.

TEJ

Chopper said:
But...but... if you never use 3D (which I respectfully consider to be an insane act of snobbery, considering your experience with the 3DS's 3D is ultimately, allegedly nil.) how can you possibly say that the AA found in 2D mode is an improvement? Personally, I prefer the way the game looks in 3D, as the AA is not particularly impressive, as do many others here. I imagine that makes me an idiot in your eyes. But still, it is an opinion as valid as yours. Probably moreso, in fact.

Anyway, whilst OoT might not be the "best" zelda game, it's certainly my favourite.

whenever I try to use 3D it hurts my eyes if I use it for more than 20 seconds, so no it isn't snobbery if you find 2D mode to be superior. and the game is still beautiful if you play it in 2D.

Chopper

TEJ said:
whenever I try to use 3D it hurts my eyes if I use it for more than 20 seconds, so no it isn't snobbery if you find 2D mode to be superior. and the game is still beautiful if you play it in 2D.
Absolutely. I turn the 3D off myself if my eyes get tired, which admittedly doesn't happen very often. What I find snobbish is the stubborn refusal to even try the function, due to a pre-conceived notion that it doesn't meet some ludicrously high standards. I've seen Amir0x list his issues with the 3DS 3D many, many times, and as someone who uses it 99% of the time, simply cannot relate to them. Or at least, not to the extent where I would refuse to at least try it out. That seems mad to me.

My point is not that Amir0x is mad though. After all, that is simply an irrelevant opinion.

It is simply to point out that the 3D in OoT looks absolutely glorious for the most-part. That seems difficult to argue, especially if you have't seen it. I certainly wouldn't describe the game's graphics as substandard. The end-game in particular is absolutely gorgeous.

Thread had a good run without Ami shitting on it. I was wondering about his absence in here since shortly after the game came out, but I didn't want to jinx it.

The game is gorgeous and the 3D is glorious. I often find myself often into first-person just to take in the beauty of the surroundings and admire the visuals.

And yes, 3D can make mediocre graphics look great (see Ridge Racer).

Myansie

Jintor said:
Just finished the Water Temple, that place is great, although I hear you had to go into the menu every time to change to the boots back on the '64 and that must have been hella annoying.

The markings on the walls telling you which door lead to the low, medium and high water points were missing from the original aswell. They make it a fair bit easier.

The temple isn't too bad now, although it still plays a couple of cheap tricks with the keys and locks requiring a back track or two.

AniHawk

milkyjay20 said:
my brother sailed through twilight princess faster than i did, a hardcore zelda nut. that's because i was giving TP a little too much credit; i backtracked, when i should've looked around for the little doodad in the room i was currently in. the reason why people think TWW and TP are easy is because they are easy. it's simply a matter of solving the puzzle. there's never a moment where you're holding more than two keys, and that has never been the case before the gamecube.

oh, markedly superior huh? well that settles it then.

well it's the puzzles that were better than anything in ocarina of time. a lot of oot's puzzles require block-pushing, and shooting projectiles. there wasn't anything quite as clever as equipping iron boots while hanging from the ceiling to open a grate below you.

i don't know if you've seen the wiki yet, but okami is an absolutely stupid ass game. but humor me... which aspects? would it be...................................................... the graphics?
or what i'd like to call raped by color

i'm not a big okami fan either, but its substitute for an inventory system was pretty clever. not sure i'd want that for a zelda game, especially since the combat system was awful and kamiya should stick to just action games, but it made for good pacing in the final two dungeons.

right, nothing like charting the open sea, a convenient island for every square, a convenient mind-numbing puzzle or enemy room for every island. now that's an adventure. which aspects? would it be............................................... the graphics?
well it is one of the most beautiful games B-)

it still beats ocarina's world, if you're looking to explore. although ocarina beats tww if you're looking to just beat the game.

AniHawk

Chopper said:
It is simply to point out that the 3D in OoT looks absolutely glorious for the most-part. That seems difficult to argue, especially if you have't seen it. I certainly wouldn't describe the game's graphics as substandard. The end-game in particular is absolutely gorgeous.

the
light reflecting off the walls as you climbed the tower to face ganondorf
made me mad and angry. i wanted that level of detail throughout the game.

Chopper

AniHawk said:
the
light reflecting off the walls as you climbed the tower to face ganondorf
made me mad and angry. i wanted that level of detail throughout the game.
Agreed. They really went the extra mile in those last scenes. But then, I guess I'm easy to please. I just think the whole game looks lovely.

Myriadis

I just watched a LP with this section and it looks indeed great.But the thing that I personally thought was more amazing for me is
that they changed these giant Moblins in the Sacred Forest Meadow significantly.A new model and the animation is way,way better.And the nice little Cutscene right before this Moblin with the club.
It seems that they really changed and improved several Animations.It looks so incredibly fluid.

TEJ

Chopper said:

I think the game makes good use of 3D, but glorious? Nothing i've seen makes me think that I couldn't do without the 3D function.

Chopper

TEJ said:
I think the game makes good use of 3D, but glorious? Nothing i've seen makes me think that I couldn't do without the 3D function.
Okay. Glorious might be a bit strong if you can't appreciate the nuance of my enthusiastic opinion. But, yeah man. It's 3D. It looks very cool, and somes scenes look stunning.

Javier

In the Water Temple, anyone else felt that
Dark Link was horribly nerfed? I just side slashed him and he never blocked, and I didn't get hit once. He was one of the most challenging bosses in the original, so it felt like a huge disappointment.

Javier said:
Dark Link was horribly nerfed? I just side slashed him and he never blocked, and I didn't get hit once. He was one of the most challenging bosses in the original, so it felt like a huge disappointment.

Dark Link seems to be a glitched character, because at times in the original I was mowing him down like nothing, and at others the bastard cut me down like weed.

I have only fought him once in the 3DS version, and noticed that he is easier, mostly because with the improved animation and framerate, timing the swordblows is a hell of a lot easier. Timing the sideward slashes in the original was a pain in the ass.

So I guess he still fights the same but thanks to technical improvements, his patterns become more obvious.

bumpkin

Javier said:
I must be weak sauce then because Dark Link was frustrating for me... Fucker kept standing on my sword and cheap-shotting me while I was inexplicably frozen in place.

bumpkin said:
I must be weak sauce then because Dark Link was frustrating for me... Fucker kept standing on my sword and cheap-shotting me while I was inexplicably frozen in place.

just time your slashes right. Vertical, vertical, horizontal. That should do the trick, sometimes you need to start horizontal, then change to vertical.

Don't use stabs.

Another method is to evade and do a jump attack, but I had very varying results with that tactic.

Chao

Finished the game yesterday.
It may be related to the changes on the framerate or maybe I forgot how the game was originally, but I felt this version too... fast? I mean, everything in the game felt fast, the animations, cutscenes, boss battles, sidequests...
Haven't played the game since 2003 or so, and I couldn't remember shit from Forest Temple onwards (so I was rediscovering these puzzles), and I felt I was doing everything really quickly. Riding Epona across Hyrule Field takes seconds

I killed
Gohma
in like 20 seconds in this version, was it always like that?. Same with every boss, including
Ganon
, so fucking easy and quick, it was over before I could even realize.

Jackano

Many of the boss seemed easier to me; Like I previously said, I think I am able to do combos in OoT3D I wasn't in the N64 game. Especially the magic circular attack.
In my all boss run I even beat Gohma in 8 seconds, just hit it one time with the slingshot and combo-ed it with circular attacks, and bam, defeated :lol
Too bad it was the all boss challenge, it didn't register the time for Gohma only!

Bongo Bongo really suffered of that too in my regular quest gameplay.

Duxxy3

TEJ said:

I played the game in 2D for around 27 of the 29 hours it took to beat it. I didn't miss the 3d at all.

Varjet

boris feinbrand said:
just time your slashes right. Vertical, vertical, horizontal. That should do the trick, sometimes you need to start horizontal, then change to vertical.

Don't use stabs.

Another method is to evade and do a jump attack, but I had very varying results with that tactic.
Here's the simplest method: Don't use lock-on.

Sennorin

Banned
So I finished Ocarina of Time 3D some time ago. What it did was reminding me of what went missing in modern Zelda-games. Putting aside the classic setting and story (which trumps all the *more fleshed out* plots in following Zelda-games, except MM).

The dungeon design in OoT still remains the best of any 3D-Zelda. It is, obviously, more plain and simplistic in terms of visuals, but it is so much more clever than what TWW and TP had to offer. Surely, these newer Zelda-titles suffer from being straight forward sequels to the OoT-concept, so there is only so much that Nintendo could have done, but that is any developer´s problem, not mine, to solve. I beat the game in around 15 hours, which is, of course, hardly a representative number since the game was not new to me. If it weren´t for their higher amount of filler-ish content, though, both TWW and TP would be much shorter games.

As for the graphics, they´re beautiful and show us proof of how much GREZZO loves the Zelda-franchise. A run-of-the-mill production couldn´t have achieved all these fitting new additions all over the world of Hyrule. No matter where you go, there´s new stuff to see and interesting stuff. If nothing else, these added details also show that the similarity in OoT 3D´s overall graphics to its original was done intentionally, not out of lazy or cheap effort. And I´m thankful to GREZZO that they decided to stay true to the draft of the original. OoT is a classic and I *know* that had they used TP-assets and changed the layout of all the environments, I wouldn´t be happy about it. It wouldn´t feel like OoT, but at the same time wouldn´t feel new either. It´d be neither nor. Lastly, if no game before, OoT 3D proves that 3D improves the game experience - a lot. It is true that after a while playing you forget about the 3D. But turn it off for only a split second and you feel like going back a generation in terms of visuals.

Overall, this remake showed how absurd comments about OoT´s gameplay being out-dated are. It is still the benchmark in terms of puzzles for the majority of video games (exceptions such as Valve´s Portal 2) and puts into perspective what so-called hardcore gamer do not want. Hardcore gamer do not want exploration. Having read so many complaints about "I dont know where to go, this game is annoying" from first-time OoT players, this is what I conclude. And it is true, since I thought back to other N64-classics and indeed, these games didn´t feature direction-arrows at the top of the screen. For now, let´s hope that Oot 3D sells enough to grant us Majora´s Mask 3D. Imagining Link´s transformations in 3D sends a chill down my spine.

Javier said:
I beat him just mashing and following him around, so yeah :/

I think I'm going back to the 2D for this one. It isn't too hard to keep the console still during gyro aiming but I've fucked up because of the screen enough for me to not aim with the 3D on. Also the difference in image quality with AA on and off is immense.

I can't imagine how good it'd look in 3D+AA but I'm pretty sensitive to that stuff. This "free AA" that 3D supposedly provides does not exist. The amount of shimmering provides a massive headache and the fact that it's different in either eye at the same time makes things worse.

TEJ

Sennorin said:
But turn it off for only a split second and you feel like going back a generation in terms of visuals.

I strongly disagree with this. in 2D mode it looks like a mid-range gamecube title. With 3D on it doesn't nearly look as good as Kameo, a launch 360 title {technically, art is another story}.

Javier said:
Turn the gyro control on when you're playing the Target Shooting mini-game.

Soooooo much easier.
Agreed, in fact, I think I‘d go as far as to say that gyro controls are unquestionably superior for aiming yourself to using a stick/slider, just like pointer controls and kb/m are.

Krakatoa

TEJ said:
I strongly disagree with this. in 2D mode it looks like a mid-range gamecube title. With 3D on it doesn't nearly look as good as Kameo, a launch 360 title {technically, art is another story}.

It looks good in 3d but no way as good looking as Kameo.

I haven't been using gyro much while playing the game. They worked fine whenever I used them, but most of the time I feel too lazy to move my arms. I just got the bow and arrow though and it's fun using gyro with it.

I feel that 3D helps with aiming too. I feel more confident about my aim in 3D than in 2D.

Futureman

HOLY MOTHER the slowdown during
Ganon's first form after he gets hit by the energy blast
is pretty ridiculous.

I'm wondering if it is intentional to make it more dramatic or not. Seemed like slow down to me.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The L-trigger gyro is awesome. I have issues pushing the 'view' button on the touchscreen as it seems like it isn't as responsive to my quick thumb touch as I would like, so the L-trigger gyro viewing is a nice, if limited, alternative.

zruben

Banned
I just wanted to say that I'm going to buy a 3DS and Zelda OoT next week.

I haven't played OoT since I finished it back in 1998 (replayed MM a LOT of times); and I have been reading this thread since the launch of the game, and I'm hyped as hell o_O!!!

also, I haven't tried a 3DS yet... I hope I'll be able to enjoy it

edit: I mean the 3D effect, I'm kinda worried because on 3D movies I don't see a great difference =/

zruben said:
I just wanted to say that I'm going to buy a 3DS and Zelda OoT next week.

I haven't played OoT since I finished it back in 1998 (replayed MM a LOT of times); and I have been reading this thread since the launch of the game, and I'm hyped as hell o_O!!!

also, I haven't tried a 3DS yet... I hope I'll be able to enjoy it

edit: I mean the 3D effect, I'm kinda worried because on 3D movies I don't see a great difference =/

Don't worry the game will feel like it did when you played the original one on the N64 or Gamecube Collectors Edition. You'll be probably playing with the system settings and built in games before you start the game. Oh and about that 3D effect you'll be surprised what pops out in the game, and its a lot.

Skilletor

kr2t0s said:

It's an ugly ass N64 game with better textures. How is it a technical marvel to add 3D (you know, what the system does) to a decade old game? If this shit didn't run at a consistent framerate in both modes, there would be something wrong.

This game has good art direction, but it's far from pretty.

Deku

Banned
Futureman said:
HOLY MOTHER the slowdown during
Ganon's first form after he gets hit by the energy blast
is pretty ridiculous.

I'm wondering if it is intentional to make it more dramatic or not. Seemed like slow down to me.

Intentional AFAIK, they discussed this in Iwata Asks on this.

The slowdown on the N64 was real because they were pushing the N64 to its limits and it had the unintended consequence of making the final battle more epic.

So they kept it.

Someone correct me if I misread that bit.

Top Bottom