• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Wolfe

So this is my first playthrough since I beat the original on the N64 and I'm having such a blast, I'm in Ganon's castle and about to hit 55 hours (nowhere near 100%).

I'm betting Master Quest is gonna rock me.

kr2t0s

Do I have to do the verdugo's fortress to finish the game? I've done forest, fire, water, shadow and haven't touched spirit yet.

bumpkin

Shadow Temple... Ugh. That is all.

I beat it, but not after getting my ass handed to me by Buongo Buongo once; two fairies and all. The second time I housed the fucker!

Sendaquill

Neo Member
Kazerei said:
How do people not realize this? I figured it out when I was 12, just by attempting some of the multi-torch runs with one stick. And voila, it works!

I did the same, but I just thought I was going fast enough. It never crossed my mind that the timer could/would be reset.

thetrin said:
Also, I'm pretty sure a Deku scrub tells you this in the game.

Nope (unless they added it to the 3DS version). There is one that suggests putting the stick away before it burns out, though.

kr2t0s said:
Do I have to do the verdugo's fortress to finish the game? I've done forest, fire, water, shadow and haven't touched spirit yet.

Yes, if by verdugo you mean gerudo. ;)

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
What does buying all the bombchus as Young Link do for you?

The reason for this, is because that is permanent effect.
When you buy all bombchus in the Bombchus's Store, you can't buy again there, he keep sold out them forever (the same guy say it in game), so, you can only obtain Bombchus winning in the Bombchu Bowling or buying it as Adult (or Young with Glitches) in the Magic Carpet guy.

Muskweeto

Kirby102 said:
suFjf.jpg
...so true XD [sorry for the long post] :)
This is fantastic, It makes me realize I've been hearing that haunting noise for thirteen years.

And I thought when I posted the fact about the burning sticks I would get a lot of comments telling me I'm stating the obvious, I was sorely mistaken.

Locke_211

For another really incongruously haunting sound, try hitting the back of the biggest Skulltula in the House of Skulltula. You have to stun him first, or else he just spins to face you all the time, or hit him with something with a wide sweep like Biggoron's Sword and then nip to the side while he's swinging from the first hit.

Muskweeto said:
This is fantastic, It makes me realize I've been hearing that haunting noise for thirteen years.

And I thought when I posted the fact about the burning sticks I would get a lot of comments telling me I'm stating the obvious, I was sorely mistaken.
I'm not sure why not, not only do they tell you in the game but I find it hard to believe none of these fellows have ever tried to press the attack button with a lit stick in hand.

DownLikeBCPowder said:
I'm not sure why not, not only do they tell you in the game but I find it hard to believe none of these fellows have ever tried to press the attack button with a lit stick in hand.

Reading comprehension fail.

Naked Snake said:
That's not what people didn't know (if you're referring to the blown minds); we knew that you can put out a Deku Stick by putting it away. What we didn't know is that you don't have to put out the stick after lighting each torch in a sequence to preserve it. The mind blowing fact was that the timer before the stick burns out resets after lighting a torch with it.

Again: Yes the game tells you that you can put off a deku stick by putting it away, and everybody knows that. What the game doesn't tell you, and what a lot of us didn't know, is the burning timer reset thing.

And it's not surprising people didn't know that, because it's not realistic or intuitive for a burning wooden stick to magically last longer when you light torches with it. It only makes sense from the point of view of game design (i.e. making the game easier/more friendly).

Wolfe

Naked Snake said:
Reading comprehension fail.

Again: Yes the game tells you that you can put off a deku stick by putting it away, and everybody knows that. What the game doesn't tell you, and what a lot of us didn't know, is the burning timer reset thing.

And it's not surprising people didn't know that, because it's not realistic or intuitive for a burning wooden stick to magically last longer when you light torches with it. It only makes sense from the point of view of game design (i.e. making the game easier/more friendly).

No wait, it totally makes sense now, each time you light a torch you give some of the fire on the stick to the torch reducing the amount of fire on the stick causing it to burn slower!

OMG Aero

Do you get any more rewards from the Skulltula house after the piece of heart? Since getting the heart piece I collected another 10 tokens but didn't get anything and the guy in the centre of the house is still a spider. Are the rest of gold Skulltulas optional or is there another reward that requires a lot more tokens than the usual 10?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
OMG Aero said:
Do you get any more rewards from the Skulltula house after the piece of heart? Since getting the heart piece I collected another 10 tokens but didn't get anything and the guy in the centre of the house is still a spider. Are the rest of gold Skulltulas optional or is there another reward that requires a lot more tokens than the usual 10?

You can have lots of rupees at 100 gold skulltulas, which is pretty pointless.

is there any extra content in this, like new secret areas or an item? I have finished OoT a couple of times, but i am not sure i want to replay the same game again.

Caelus

Nostalgia~4ever said:
is there any extra content in this, like new secret areas or an item? I have finished OoT a couple of times, but i am not sure i want to replay the same game again.

The Stone of Agony is now the Shard of Agony, but other than that, a new boss mode, mirrored master quest after beating the game, and updated graphics, it's the same game. I'm sure it's worth it for the portability.

so1337

I need help with one of the Golden Skulltulas. I can't seem to get the Scarecrow song to work in Dodongo's Cavern. What am I missing? Is there something I need to do first in order to summon Pierre?

olimpia84

I can't believe I got stuck in the Forest Temple. I needed an extra key and forgot where it was
turns out it was the first key by the entrance where the gold skulltula is)
. Boss fight was fun and re-affirms that it's one of my faves of all time.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I can't believe how horrible I've become at this particular Zelda game, I can't remember shit since my first and only playthrough back in '98 but nontheless I don't think I ever got stuck this many times durimg the whole series before.
I had to use the vision of the future like 6 times already and I'm still at the forest temple, what a whimp

izakq

Once when you get all of the Skulltulas in one area, is there a mark that appears on the map screen somewhere to show that you got them all for that one area? I seem to remember that happening on the N64 version.

OMG Aero

izakq said:
Once when you get all of the Skulltulas in one area, is there a mark that appears on the map screen somewhere to show that you got them all for that one area? I seem to remember that happening on the N64 version.
If you look at the overworld map, there is a skulltula token next the name of an area if you have all the skulltulas from there.

Sendaquill

Neo Member
so1337 said:
I need help with one of the Golden Skulltulas. I can't seem to get the Scarecrow song to work in Dodongo's Cavern. What am I missing? Is there something I need to do first in order to summon Pierre?

You have to play your song for the other scarecrow as an adult before Pierre will appear for you. If you've already done that and it's still not working, try standing in a place where Navi will fly over to where the scarecrow is to appear (iirc, sometimes the game is a bit picky about where you stand when you play the song).

Twilight Princess said:
Is this game gud?

I've been taking my time with this so I've only just completed it on 3DS...
It's fucking incredible.

The battle with Ganon is classic, the walls of the spiral stairway near the top looked fucking awesome compared to the original... there was a sort of ambient light coming from the weird light-cloud thing outside the stain glass windows and a reflectiveness to the walls that wasnt there before. Glorious. Its been years since I've seen the credits sequence... the sages appearing on Death Mountain, Navi flying to the window and Link walking away from the Master Sword... the brand spanking new Grezzo credits with cool little 3d photos and amazing orchestrated music. I could have cried from the joygasm of awesome. I wish there was a button to just rewatch that...

The console purchase was totally justified by this singular experience alone, but with Mario Kart, Metal Gear and RE:R on the way, I am EXCITE.

elektrixx

Banned
Okay, so what is the real way you're meant to get to the chicken behind the windmill as Young Link? I've instinctively done what I did back in the day of placing a chicken on top of the fence in front of the windmill, then picking it up while on top of the fence to get over the other fence to the left. I'm realising now that this can't be the real way to do it!

Roto13

elektrixx said:
Okay, so what is the real way you're meant to get to the chicken behind the windmill as Young Link? I've instinctively done what I did back in the day of placing a chicken on top of the fence in front of the windmill, then picking it up while on top of the fence to get over the other fence to the left. I'm realising now that this can't be the real way to do it!
I think that's the "real" way but it's not the smart way. :p Climb up the lookout tower and side jump off to get over the fence. (Or land on top of it and get the heart piece from the dude on the roof. :p)

kingkaiser

elektrixx said:

You don't have to put the chicken on the fence and pick it up from there. Just pick the chicken up and jump to the other fence. Right before hitting that fence you throw the chicken away and Link will grab automatically on that fence.

In Forest Temple right now (one of my favorite places in the game), so good.

My left hand keeps getting cramped after some play. Are there any good solutions to enhance the grip of the 3DS? I think I'd like the back to be somewhat rounded to allow my fingers to comfortably hold on to it, more like a modern controller than a tablet.

I remember some saying that the Nyko battery pack enhances the grip, but I really have no need for a battery pack (my batter has never gone below 50%. I play at home in short bursts and charge in between), so if there is a better and/or cheaper option that would be swell.

Thoraxes

radioheadrule83 said:
I've been taking my time with this so I've only just completed it on 3DS...
It's fucking incredible.

The battle with Ganon is classic, the walls of the spiral stairway near the top looked fucking awesome compared to the original... there was a sort of ambient light coming from the weird light-cloud thing outside the stain glass windows and a reflectiveness to the walls that wasnt there before. Glorious. Its been years since I've seen the credits sequence... the sages appearing on Death Mountain, Navi flying to the window and Link walking away from the Master Sword... the brand spanking new Grezzo credits with cool little 3d photos and amazing orchestrated music. I could have cried from the joygasm of awesome. I wish there was a button to just rewatch that...

The console purchase was totally justified by this singular experience alone, but with Mario Kart, Metal Gear and RE:R on the way, I am EXCITE.
Besides the fact that the whole last 2 hours of the game looked PHENOMENAL in 3D, the pictures going from 2D to 3D (with the slider turned up) in the
credits
was just plain amazing. I was planning to do it for every single one of them with the slider, but it's like GREZZO already knew what I was going to do and then implemented it.

kr2t0s

Finished it today. Had never played it before - absolutely amazing game.

Quick Question -
I tried to take my broken gorgon sword to that giant gorgon on top of death mountain - he kept telling me he would fix weapons, but no matter if i had it equipped, or swung it in front of him - he never prompted me to do anything next. Confused.

Now debating if I should play MM on VC or wait for the hopefully inevitable 3ds version

Roto13

kr2t0s said:
Finished it today. Had never played it before - absolutely amazing game.

Quick Question -
I tried to take my broken gorgon sword to that giant gorgon on top of death mountain - he kept telling me he would fix weapons, but no matter if i had it equipped, or swung it in front of him - he never prompted me to do anything next. Confused.

Now debating if I should play MM on VC or wait for the hopefully inevitable 3ds version
He doesn't fix that sword. He fixes the broken Biggoron's Sword you get from the trade side quest. What you brought to him was the Giant's Knife his stupid little brother makes. :p

We might never get a 3DS version of Majora's Mask. I'd get the Virtual Console version if I were you.

kr2t0s

Roto13 said:
He doesn't fix that sword. He fixes the broken Biggoron's Sword you get from the trade side quest. What you brought to him was the Giant's Knife his stupid little brother makes. :p

Wow...that was not obvious at all. At least to me.

Thanks though!

Korosenai

Purchased a 3ds two weeks ago along with Pokemon Black and OoT. Definitely worth the purchase. My first time playing OoT and I love it.

ciD_Vain

Naked Snake said:
In Forest Temple right now (one of my favorite places in the game), so good.

My left hand keeps getting cramped after some play. Are there any good solutions to enhance the grip of the 3DS? I think I'd like the back to be somewhat rounded to allow my fingers to comfortably hold on to it, more like a modern controller than a tablet.

I remember some saying that the Nyko battery pack enhances the grip, but I really have no need for a battery pack (my batter has never gone below 50%. I play at home in short bursts and charge in between), so if there is a better and/or cheaper option that would be swell.
Try playing on the charging cradle.

AniHawk

so i beat it last night. it was probably the last time i'll go through ocarina of time.

i remember in 2003 when the wind waker came out that immediately after i beat the game, i said it was better than ocarina of time, and i held that stance throughout most of the year, until early 2004 when i replayed tww. in 2006, i felt twilight princess was oot's superior, unquestionably so. but, by that next year, i was back to saying oot might not be the best but that it was still my favorite.

but now, i think it's definitely time to retire it from my top games evar spot. in fact, i think i might've been right about tww in 2003- i just didn't want to confirm it with a full playthrough of oot again so soon after going through master quest.

i was ready for the small, emptyish overworld, but i wasn't prepared for the short, easy, and basic dungeons. the first three in particular were the biggest offenders. the forest temple ramped things up, but it slowed down during the fire temple (with *knowing* where the keys were), and really slowed down in the water temple. the shadow temple and spirit temple provided a great finale at least- and the latter in particular may be the one that holds up the best out of the entire experience.

it makes sense that the level design is the way it is- nobody was used to 3d gaming, not even nintendo. that's why the game challenged people in 1998 and why later games are thought of as easy, when really it was the thinking that had caught up to the developers. i'm sure that any twilight princess dungeon would stump most people who found ocarina challenging in 1998. it also makes ocarina kinda the perfect candidate for the 3ds- nintendo was designing around the idea of whoa 3d!! before other technology had caught up to it.

and then you have oot's next-gen sequel, the wind waker, which goes more for a swashbuckling theme in its design, allowing link to fly around levels in different ways in dungeons that are more complex. twilight princess was the maturation of oot's formula, made by a team that had been familiar with 3d space for a decade.

oot3d was also kind of a disappointing remake. okay, so it's got the content in the master quest and boss rush mode (which people have been asking from zelda games since oot and probably earlier), but visually it's pretty bland, and the soundtrack remaining the same was a huge disappointment.

i finished oot3d in 16 hours on a fairly bare-bones run. while i was unimpressed with a lot of it, i did enjoy the final few hours quite a bit, and who can hate on that finale?
it still holds up wonderfully, from the climb up the tower, to the escape while it collapses, ganondorf's resurrection as ganon, and finally the credits scene after a job well done
. at the end, i was satisfied that i had beaten the game a fourth time, this time with improved visuals and animation (oh and inventory!), but yeah, it's no longer the undisputed number one, even on a scale of 'well what is your irrational feeling toward this' scale.

and now i want to play the wind waker again.

Muskweeto

Naked Snake said:
I said the thing about the Nyko battery pack. If you don't need a battery pack don't get it, it's not much better of a grip and it adds some weight to the 3DS.

I thought this looked pretty nifty though, and it's cheap.

elektrixx

Banned
For fuck's sake I've been playing for three hours as Young Link and there are no fish bigger than 10 pounds. The spot where the largest fish is meant to be is ALWAYS 10 pounds.

so1337

Sendaquill said:
You have to play your song for the other scarecrow as an adult before Pierre will appear for you.
Did this again and sure enough it worked. Seems like I forgot to save the last time I went to Lake Hylia.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
so i beat it last night. it was probably the last time i'll go through ocarina of time.

i remember in 2003 when the wind waker came out that immediately after i beat the game, i said it was better than ocarina of time, and i held that stance throughout most of the year, until early 2004 when i replayed tww. in 2006, i felt twilight princess was oot's superior, unquestionably so. but, by that next year, i was back to saying oot might not be the best but that it was still my favorite.

but now, i think it's definitely time to retire it from my top games evar spot. in fact, i think i might've been right about tww in 2003- i just didn't want to confirm it with a full playthrough of oot again so soon after going through master quest.

i was ready for the small, emptyish overworld, but i wasn't prepared for the short, easy, and basic dungeons. the first three in particular were the biggest offenders. the forest temple ramped things up, but it slowed down during the fire temple (with *knowing* where the keys were), and really slowed down in the water temple. the shadow temple and spirit temple provided a great finale at least- and the latter in particular may be the one that holds up the best out of the entire experience.

it makes sense that the level design is the way it is- nobody was used to 3d gaming, not even nintendo. that's why the game challenged people in 1998 and why later games are thought of as easy, when really it was the thinking that had caught up to the developers. i'm sure that any twilight princess dungeon would stump most people who found ocarina challenging in 1998. it also makes ocarina kinda the perfect candidate for the 3ds- nintendo was designing around the idea of whoa 3d!! before other technology had caught up to it.

and then you have oot's next-gen sequel, the wind waker, which goes more for a swashbuckling theme in its design, allowing link to fly around levels in different ways in dungeons that are more complex. twilight princess was the maturation of oot's formula, made by a team that had been familiar with 3d space for a decade.

oot3d was also kind of a disappointing remake. okay, so it's got the content in the master quest and boss rush mode (which people have been asking from zelda games since oot and probably earlier), but visually it's pretty bland, and the soundtrack remaining the same was a huge disappointment.

i finished oot3d in 16 hours on a fairly bare-bones run. while i was unimpressed with a lot of it, i did enjoy the final few hours quite a bit, and who can hate on that finale?
it still holds up wonderfully, from the climb up the tower, to the escape while it collapses, ganondorf's resurrection as ganon, and finally the credits scene after a job well done
. at the end, i was satisfied that i had beaten the game a fourth time, this time with improved visuals and animation (oh and inventory!), but yeah, it's no longer the undisputed number one, even on a scale of 'well what is your irrational feeling toward this' scale.

and now i want to play the wind waker again.

I never thought I'd say this Anihawk, but the wedding is OFF! :(

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I've played for about 50 hours completing both modes perfectly and I must say this game is still an absolute pleasure to be played. One of the greatest achievements of gaming and a must have for everyone who doesn't totally hate Action-Adventures.

Top Bottom