• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Amir0x

Banned
Anth0ny said:
LOL I forgot it's not online. That's hilarious. wow.

maybe they're doing it in the off chance you can't hear your friends giggle and slyly smile at you in victory as they stand five feet from you across the table. in case you're like, i dunno, super near sighted or something

rhino4evr

Playing through OoT again made me realize just how much better Twilight Princess is. The hate that game gets on this board is nuts. I'd say it's only Fault is its overly large overworld..but i seem to remember quite a few people requesting it to be large.

The broken economy is just as bad as it is in OOT.

jman2050

rhino4evr said:
Playing through OoT again made me realize just how much better Twilight Princess is. The hate that game gets on this board is nuts. I'd say it's only Fault is its overly large overworld..but i seem to remember quite a few people requesting it to be large.

Almost everything in OoT just feels so small-scale. It's clear they were just getting their feet wet for the games to come later.

Anth0ny

rhino4evr said:

Pacing and wolf link sucks.

Twilight Princess' highs are mostly higher than OOT's, but it's lows are also WAY lower.

linkboy

Anth0ny said:

Twilight Princess' highs are mostly higher than OOT's, but it's lows are also WAY lower.

I almost wish Wolf Link would have been left on the cutting board.

I also agree with the second point.

AniHawk said:
well it's the puzzles that were better than anything in ocarina of time. a lot of oot's puzzles require block-pushing, and shooting projectiles. there wasn't anything quite as clever as equipping iron boots while hanging from the ceiling to open a grate below you.

i agree about the cleverness of tp's puzzles. there wasn't a single instance of block pushing until the temple of time, which was naturally a send-up to zelda's past, which was brilliant on its own. the meaningful themes of the dungeons and the creativity of the puzzles were the best part.

however, i take much issue with their linearity. that's what i mean by not holding many keys. for instance, i'm playing link's awakening for the first time lately, and i'm in the sixth dungeon and i was lost. stumbling around in a silent rage. tempted to go to gamefaqs. then i remembered, that's what it's like playing zelda. even tho the puzzles were just as basic as OoT's and LttP's, you get a feeling of real exploration when you can either find out what's behind door number 1, or door number 2, or door number 3.

i'm not a big okami fan either, but its substitute for an inventory system was pretty clever. not sure i'd want that for a zelda game, especially since the combat system was awful and kamiya should stick to just action games, but it made for good pacing in the final two dungeons.

i never made it to the final dungeons. i can't relate to you the amount of boredom i felt... it was... it was... :'(

a menu is better, imo. it's kinda like that old p&c adventure game, loom, replacing verbs and inventory with songs on the magic stick. different, but irritating, an extra "magical" step to do something essentially practical. i hated the magic brush in okami because it's like a metafiction twist, and every time you used it, it screamed, hey i'm a video game! that, and you had to use it every time you had to kill an enemy, wtf

i agree about kamiya sticking to action games. weird how okami's combat wasn't up to snuff.

it still beats ocarina's world, if you're looking to explore. although ocarina beats tww if you're looking to just beat the game.

sure, if you're talking strictly the hyrule field. but if you include kokiri forest, death mountain, gerudo valley, etc., then surely not.

when i saw the open sea for the first time in tww, i was amazed. i couldn't wait to explore. it looked so damn enticing. when i found out that you end up seeing everything worth seeing before you get into the third dungeon, it was a punch in the gut.

Amir0x said:
superior superior superior superior SUPERIOR SUPERIOR SUPERIOR SUPERISURLUAFAOJJ

yeah yeah we get it ;-_-

There is a sense of history, yes, but infinitely superior sense of spacial awareness, lateral thinking and all around more complex, intelligent design.

i wonder what you mean...

In particular, the Forbidden Woods, The Tower of the Gods and the Wind Temple showcase many many elements which are

ah, more vertical then. well why didn't you say so ;)

i won't concede that tww/tp are more complex than oot and past zeldae simply because they've got a few tall rooms and more architecture. now it's definitely a boost, and of course tww/tp are good games, but their insane linearity and handholding leaves them... quite inferior

Okami is better in many many ways

*giggle*

in movement

nah. it's a pain in the ass to roam around slowly (probably has to do with having four legs) and while zooming around at top speed is fun, you inevitably run into something. i especially love running into flags and a battle screen pops up like a #@%&ing jrpg.

inventory management

nah. look above ^_^

even some dungeons are superior

:lol

And yes, in its gorgeous visuals

except it's not gorgeous. something like ico or jet grind radio or even silent hill is gorgeous. games with a design sense. okami throws everything except the kitchen sink into its graphics. at times, it does look like ancient japanese wall scrolls. most of the time, however, it's color rape. it's an absolute assault on the eyes.

in its astoundingly expansive soundtrack

true...

I understand your attempt to try to discredit visuals as an important distinguisher but as always visuals are one of the most important aspects of games and, as a general rule, is a huge part of defining what is superior

i understand they're called "video" games, but they're certainly not a huge factor in whatever strange darwinian video game contest you have going. take for instance ninja five-o on the gameboy advance. it looks absolutely atrocious. honestly one of the ugliest games i've ever seen. however, it's one of the best games ever. compare bionic commando on the nes and bionic commando rearmed. in the end, the old bionic commando is better because it plays better. things like control, level design, other things relating to the gameplay, that's what's important. things like the graphics, story, and music are not. they enhance the experience when they're good, but they don't break the game when they're not.

(regarding GC zelda) Link feels better to control

no he doesn't. like i stated earlier, N64 link turns left, GC link animates left. that's a big difference. while one would think the controls are no good on the N64 because of the horrifying analog stick, N64 link feels quite nice with a gamecube controller.

lock-on has been improved substantially

actually, no it hasn't. it got rid of those strange crosshairs, which was appreciated, but the camera ended up being less immersive in return. it was pulled up, while it used to be near foot level. the camera greeted enemies personally, while the lock-on in GC zelda is just simply a lock-on.

on that matter, combat was better in the old games too. most enemies have their own way to beat em. enemies in twilight princess, with a few exceptions, have just the one way to beat em, hack and slash your ass off.

loosus

Banned
Wait wait wait. Star Fox 64 3D does not have online play? And it has that face shit in it? WTF? What the hell has happened to Nintendo in the last 24 months? It's like the FuckUp Ninja Brigade from Sega has penetrated Nintendo's walls. :lol Good Lord, Nintendo, what the fuck is wrong with you this year.

According to my 3DS activity long, I've spent 32 hours on Ocarina of Time.

Of course, probably 31 of those hours have been viewed with the 3D slider on maximum.

My eyes come second to the joy of viewing Hyrule in the 3rd dimension. If only Navi wouldn't pester me to take a break so often, though.

Thoraxes

Everyone I show the game to is amazed at it, and personally, minus the 1st end battle, i've not had any slowdown with the 3D slider on full blast at all. I'm not too sure where those assumptions are coming from that it runs worse. The more and more I look at the game too, the better it seems to me. I've only played (parts of) Ocarina when it was released at retail the two times that it was (Original launch, and the WiiWare version), and this version is a treat for me.

Also good thing SF643D doesn't have online multiplayer. There's really almost nothing you can do with what the multiplayer was in SF64, and to have it online would be a waste of development time for something people would only play for a week. I'd rather have no multiplayer than the shitty SF64 multiplayer online with no community after 7 days.

Thoraxes said:
Also good thing SF643D doesn't have online multiplayer. There's really almost nothing you can do with what the multiplayer was in SF64, and to have it online would be a waste of development time for something people would only play for a week. I'd rather have no multiplayer than the shitty SF64 multiplayer online with no community after 7 days.

Except there were people (like me) who really enjoyed it's multiplayer and saw potential. I think there is also room for other multplayer modes which could be fun.

Muskweeto

Thoraxes said:
I've not had any slowdown with the 3D slider on full blast at all. I'm not too sure where those assumptions are coming from that it runs worse.
Play the Barinaid(sp?) boss and switch between 2D and 3D, I can't see how more people aren't noticing the slowdown. When it starts spinning around with all the jellyfish really fast, in 3D it's as bad as anything I've seen on the N64 version.

Edit: I'm not saying it's unbearable, just that it IS there and saying there is no slowdown is just wrong.

Sendaquill

Neo Member
Tathanen said:
I did notice that Ganon no longer felt as slow and lumbering though. Can't say I'm a fan of that change. Or his Erect tail.
I liked Ganon being faster. It made the battle more difficult, and I've always felt his slowness made the battle too easy in the original. But I'm with you on the tail, lol.

FINALLY!!! Just did the water temple for the first time ever without using a guide. It took me like 2 hours and I was tempted to look at a guide at a few points...but I persisted and finally did it!

Now I’m wondering around Kakariko Village trying to figure out hell the hell I get to the shadow temple. I don’t care what anyone says, this game holds your hand far less than games of today.

Thoraxes said:
Honestly, I think no multiplayer would've been preferable to the half hearted solution Nintendo & Q-Games came up with. Still, it's hard to reconcile that their last Starfox game on the DS six years ago had online and this doesn't. With the totally unnecessary 2 month western delay, they should really consider implementing it.

soldat7

milkyjay20 said:
i don't know if you've seen the wiki yet, but okami is an absolutely stupid ass game. but humor me... which aspects? would it be...................................................... the graphics?
or what i'd like to call raped by color

I think it's fine to hate on Okami, but to call it "an absolutely stupid ass game" reeks of ignorance and fanboyism.

Tricky I Shadow said:
FINALLY!!! Just did the water temple for the first time ever without using a guide. It took me like 2 hours and I was tempted to look at a guide at a few points...but I persisted and finally did it!

Nice job. I'm not going to be so brave on my current playthrough. I want to actually finish Ocarina this time around. ;)

Roto13

Can we stop pretending that Okami isn't one of last generation's greatest games and the greatest non-Zelda Zelda game ever?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Skilletor said:
Right.

Like...is this so awesome, or what?

Zelda-Ocarina-of-Time-3DS-Screenshots-1.jpg

The game is horribly inconsistent, but, again, bells and whistles over an N64 game. It looks better, yes, but nothing to make me want to show this game off to my friends as a showcase.
Yeah bad captures that are stretched way beyond original resolution usually show how a game looks on an actual system :p.

I'm not saying there aren't games that look WAY better though. Like Mario 3DS, the RE game, etc. So I agree with you to a point, but the picture you chose is horrible.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Honestly, I think no multiplayer would've been preferable to the half hearted solution Nintendo & Q-Games came up with. Still, it's hard to reconcile that their last Starfox game on the DS six years ago had online and this doesn't. With the totally unnecessary 2 month western delay, they should really consider implementing it.
Exactly my point, release it now, September is :/ so dumb

Online would have been great because I never played the N64 version multiplayer, my friends all had PS1 haha.
Grrrrr nintendo

I was slow and didn't notice they shipped my CD, 4 days ago, so it might be here today :D

Tricky I Shadow said:

Now I’m wondering around Kakariko Village trying to figure out hell the hell I get to the shadow temple. I don’t care what anyone says, this game holds your hand far less than games of today.
But Sheik told you exactly how to get there, unless you mean opening the door.

PooBone

Anth0ny said:

I agree with this.

OoT is the better overall experience imo.

Neo Child

Banned
The graphics might not be a visual showcase, but the 3D really helps... it's truly amazing. Best 3D i've ever seen bar none
though i've only seen 3d in cinemas before this

lunchwithyuzo said:
Still, it's hard to reconcile that their last Starfox game on the DS six years ago had online and this doesn't.
I don't get it - how is it hard to reconcile that a game made 6 years ago, designed around multiplayer, could have online while a game made 14 years ago that wasn't designed for multiplayer at all, doesn't? That's like complaining that Ocarina of Time 3D doesn't have cell-shading while Wind Waker does.

Skilletor

Dreamwriter said:
I don't get it - how is it hard to reconcile that a game made 6 years ago, designed around multiplayer, could have online while a game made 14 years ago that wasn't designed for multiplayer at all, doesn't? That's like complaining that Ocarina of Time 3D doesn't have cell-shading while Wind Waker does.

I remember playing hours of multiplayer Starfox 64.

It's pretty simple. If you can play with friends locally, it should also be playable online.

Skilletor said:
I remember playing hours of multiplayer Starfox 64.

It's pretty simple. If you can play with friends locally, it should also be playable online.

I remember spending over 10x more time with it when I found out about the tanks and on foot multiplayer

Skilletor

PwnCakes193 said:
I remember spending over 10x more time with it when I found out about the tanks and on foot multiplayer

Yeah, me and my friends played that game A LOT. There was even a pretty huge tournament for it at a local game place.

Good times.

shadyspace said:
I got through the Water Temple as easily as I did when I was 8. I will never get peoples' issue with it.

I thought I was going to tear through it with the quickness, and unfortunately succumbed to the common misstep people seem to have with the Water Temple.

Essentially it can give someone the perception that they've ran out of silver keys by unlocking the wrong sequence of doors.

I had to think long and hard, and redo every floor in the temple to finally locate the one place I had overlooked in order to progress.

So yes, the Water Temple got me, but luckily I'm back in business and having as much fun as I was before my aggravating stint there.

Edit: All of this happened despite the addition of the highlighted walls in 3DS version! It was a bit of insult to injury.

FairXchange said:
I thought I was going to tear through it with the quickness, and unfortunately succumbed to the common misstep people seem to have with the Water Temple.

Essentially it can give someone the perception that they've ran out of silver keys by unlocking the wrong sequence of doors.

I had to think long and hard, and redo every floor in the temple to finally locate the one place I had overlooked in order to progress.

So yes, the Water Temple got me, but luckily I'm back in business and having as much fun as I was before my aggravating stint there.
Don't get me wrong. I've never not gotten lost in the Water Temple. But this idea that its so difficult one must use a FAQ to get through it is patently ridiculous.

zruben

Banned
shadyspace said:
Don't get me wrong. I've never not gotten lost in the Water Temple. But this idea that its so difficult one must use a FAQ to get through it is patently ridiculous.

something weird happened to me.

I completed it on my first playthrough and I didn't find it difficulty at all... but after some years, I replayed the game, and I was stuck for some stupid reason.

there's something on the dungeon that makes it hard if you are not paying enough attention... you can usually pass any zelda dungeon, and in the moment you're stuck, you just retrace your steps and voilá, but in the water temple it's hard, slow and (kinda) annoying to do that.

maybe it's the fact that it's the more "vertical" dungeon of the game, hence, it's different and people have to take a different aproach to it. more "methodical".

shadyspace said:

You're definitely right. The Water Temple, notwithstanding my confusion there, is by no means impossibly designed. Tricky as it may be, I think my second playthrough on 3DS will be in record timing.

KevinCow

Banned
Dreamwriter said:

How is this even an argument.

The option to play online is inarguably superior to not having the option to play online. It's an addition, not a change. It doesn't matter if it wasn't originally designed around multiplayer. Plenty of games throughout the history of gaming have been given online multiplayer later on, be it through rereleases (many games on XBLA, for instance) or even emulation (GGPO and lots of emulators for older systems allow this), and people have played and enjoyed them.

Your cel-shading comparison isn't even remotely relevant, as it's something that would completely change the game, not just add to it.

FairXchange said:

Edit: All of this happened despite the addition of the highlighted walls in 3DS version! It was a bit of insult to injury.
Isn't it impossible to run out of keys and actually get stuck? I'm not sure why you would worry about that.

The dungeon seemed extremely linear to me despite being more open than other dungeons. You basically just hit the water level switches in order and make sure you visit the rooms now open at each one. Pretty straightforward. The only exception I can think of is that one room where you bomb a wall to get a key, but even that was pretty obvious.

I was sort of dreading this temple since this was my first time going through it, but it ended up being the most overly hyped difficulty level since Alma in Ninja Gaiden.

dr3upmushroom said:
The only exception I can think of is that one room where you bomb a wall to get a key, but even that was pretty obvious.

Wasn't obvious to me :(

I usually play my OoT sessions an hour before I sleep, while lying in bed. I think that's why I kind of missed the obviousness of that one specific part of the temple.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Roto13 said:
Can we stop pretending that Okami isn't one of last generation's greatest games and the greatest non-Zelda Zelda game ever?

Neat game, but all I really remember thinking back was how much fucking talking it had.

soldat7

shadyspace said:
I got through the Water Temple as easily as I did when I was 8. I will never get peoples' issue with it.

It's the mechanics. Back in the day, I quit not out of confusion, but out of fatigue.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
lunchwithyuzo said:
Alundra's a better non-Zelda Zelda than Okami. So was Crusader of Centy.

I'm in the Alundra is over-rated club. Great dungeon puzzles, but the story also really gets in the way too often. I think there is a good 45 minutes of exposition before you actually properly play in the beginning.

Also, the WD localization greatly imbalanced the game. Most of the bosses(especially the final one) have ludicrous health bars where I recall spending upwards 30 minutes engaging the same repeated pattern just to whittle down the first couple forms. Any hit done to you during that process can shed off a crazy amount of your life in comparison. Terrible.

Thoraxes

Muskweeto said:
Play the Barinaid(sp?) boss and switch between 2D and 3D, I can't see how more people aren't noticing the slowdown. When it starts spinning around with all the jellyfish really fast, in 3D it's as bad as anything I've seen on the N64 version.

Edit: I'm not saying it's unbearable, just that it IS there and saying there is no slowdown is just wrong.
There's a chance I could've missed that when it happened. I played on my commutes via the train for 45 minutes everyday, so who knows. Honestly though, I barely experienced slowdown at all; it was not worsening of my experience.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Yeah, I didn't like it too much in Command either.

AdventureRacing said:
Except there were people (like me) who really enjoyed it's multiplayer and saw potential. I think there is also room for other multplayer modes which could be fun.
This could just be the mindset I was coming into with this, but all I ever expected was just a straight port (with graphical touchups) and no more. I think if we ever get a true SF64 successor, we'll see something a lot better. So far, no 3DS Nintendo games have online multiplayer, I think. It's kind of odd considering how much they want to push their online system, but don't support it with anything other than some Nintendogs Spotpass content. I don't own Steel Diver so someone correct me if i'm wrong about that.

Call me stupid but I can't figure out how to get into the water temple (it seems to be closed with some sort of portcullis), I got the impression that I had to play a song to make it open but no dice. Man, I feel dumb. Anyone got a really subtle nudge in the right direction? :(

Thoraxes

magicalsoundshower said:
Call me stupid but I can't figure out how to get into the water temple (it seems to be closed with some sort of portcullis), I got the impression that I had to play a song to make it open but no dice. Man, I feel dumb. Anyone got a really subtle nudge in the right direction? :(
You need to get the
Zora Tunic and the Iron Boots. With the tunic you breathe underwater, and with the boots you're able to sink to the gate to walk in

Roto13

magicalsoundshower said:
Shoot it with your hookshot. :p

magicalsoundshower said:
Call me stupid but I can't figure out how to get into the water temple

It's ok, It took me like 6 hours to figure out how to get into the fire temple. There was no direction whatsoever what you needed to do.

Sendaquill

Neo Member
Bearded Dudebro said:
It's ok, It took me like 6 hours to figure out how to get into the fire temple. There was no direction whatsoever what you needed to do.
Which part exactly? Navi and Sheik point you to Death Mountain, and the Goron
kid gives you the tunic and tells you to move the statue in Darunia's room.

Really Shadow Temple?
a nondescript pile of textures I'm supposed to bomb? Even with the compass I was banging my head against the wall.

KarmaCow

shadyspace said:
Really Shadow Temple?
a nondescript pile of textures I'm supposed to bomb? Even with the compass I was banging my head against the wall.

I think Navi mentions something about those in the
Kakariko Well
, but yea it's odd.

blamite

I need that CD. :O

Anyone in the Chicago/general Midwest area gotten theirs yet?

I'm starting to get orried Nintendo's got something screwed up with my address, I ordered one of those pouches from Club Nintendo on June 3th and it's shipped but I haven't gotten it yet. :/

More on-topic: I finished the original game last week, and I'm now using Master Quest as a side game to play in between other games. I'm really loving the new dungeon layouts. They almost feel completely new, which helps to downplay the flipping for me.

I kind of wish I could play just the dungeons though, and skip the overworld stuff. It would be nice if Hyrule Field and the other areas were redone as well.

Top Bottom