• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

I never found the Spirit Temple creepy. In fact I would always look forward to it as a reprieve from the creepy after the Shadow Temple :lol

Roto13

shadyspace said:
I never found the Spirit Temple creepy. In fact I would always look forward to it as a reprieve from the creepy after the Shadow Temple :lol
Yeah, that's pretty much how I felt about it.

Muskweeto

SolarKnight said:
For the first time in my life, I got the ice arrows. Yay.

...do they even have a purpose?
No, which is really stupid, they should have made some heart pieces and gold skulltulas require them. It's like the special triple jump move you get in Super Mario 64 after getting all the stars, great now I can never use this for anything because I already did everything.

Levyne

Banned
Muskweeto said:
No, which is really stupid, they should have made some heart pieces and gold skulltulas require them. It's like the special triple jump move you get in Super Mario 64 after getting all the stars, great now I can never use this for anything because I already did everything.

I got the Chronicle2 in Dark Cloud...:(

Roto13

I got the ice arrows for the first time in like 10 years today. Then I froze some moblins. Then I shot some shit monsters with light arrows and enjoyed getting 50 rupees from everything I killed because light arrows do that.

vanty

Got 50 skullutas or whatever they're called yesterday. Assumed that you need all 100 to get that guy in the middle of the room free, but just looked up if that's the case and discovered what you get for doing it so now I won't worry about the couple I know I missed in the shadow temple ahah.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Y2Kev said:
The Spirit Temple is actually cooler on N64 IMO. The fact that this game has lighting makes it so much...less creepy. The original is like a freaking tomb.
I also remember Bottom of the Well being more... red, Which added to its creepiness.

Roto13

Lonely1 said:
I also remember Bottom of the Well being more... red, Which added to its creepiness.
They keep editing out cool stuff with every damn revision. :p The chanting in the Fire Temple, the symbols on the blocks and Mirror Shield, Ganondorf coughing up blood turning to barf, and now the blood in the Shadow Temple and the Bottom of the Well.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ZZMitch said:
Well I am kind of stumped on the Deku Tree... awesome game, but I fear that I am too stupid to play this game :p

Did you try jumping onto the spider web on the floor from a great height? I'm just guessing that's where you're stuck (which is kinda sad, because it's the start of the dungeon)

ZZMitch

thetrin said:
Did you try jumping onto the spider web on the floor from a great height? I'm just guessing that's where you're stuck (which is kinda sad, because it's the start of the dungeon)

No, it is the 23 is the first or whatever the weird bush thing told me. I have no idea what it means, I guess I will try wondering the dungeon again!

What the Deku told you? That's to know the right order to hit the Dekus guarding the door to the boss.

Speaking of that, they never do tell you the order in MQ do they? I had pretty much do trial and error.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
SolarKnight said:
What the Deku told you? That's to know the right order to hit the Dekus guarding the door to the boss.

Speaking of that, they never do tell you the order in MQ do they? I had pretty much do trial and error.
IIRC in master quest it was
reversed. 1 3 2

Clipper

GaimeGuy said:
IIRC in master quest it was
reversed. 1 3 2
And you have to take into account that they're mirrored now, so the order is different in 3D MQ to 2D MQ.

In any case, there's only 6 permutations to try, so I believe trial and error is the intended technique.

And if you're still confused ZZMitch, the Dekus down below are numbered 1,2,3 from left to right.

Cygnus X-1

I finished the game right in this moment. My impressions: I'm speechless. A lifting was enough to restore the original shining light the game had back in 1998. A light that put all other games into the oblivion!

If the game is the best ever made; if it is perfect; if it surpass everything: that's a matter of opinions!
But let me say this: every fucking developer of the world should learn from this masterpiece, so that every game can be as fun and with the ability to keep you playing till the very end!

In no other game I played in last 20 years I could find one that could give me as many chills of excitement as Ocarina of Time. Never!!!

PKrockin

Man, the bosses really are easy compared to Majora's Mask. Only a few could even touch me even without a shield or the sword upgrade. On to Master Quest; hope they kicked up the challenge so I can 100% the game without making it too easy.

Am I the only one who prefers to play shieldless? It makes the game more fun when you can't render yourself almost invincible by L-targeting and holding R. It makes you watch your positioning and use evasive jumps.

vMaxx

Already finish the game twice! Memorable!
I would like to replay Twilight Princess and Wind Waker in 3ds again!
I have a feeling though that a port with the 3D effect on is kind of impossible. The 3DS hasn't still conviced me if it is powerful enough.

oatmeal

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
I finished the game right in this moment. My impressions: I'm speechless. A lifting was enough to restore the original shining light the game had back in 1998. A light that put all other games into the oblivion!

If the game is the best ever made; if it is perfect; if it surpass everything: that's a matter of opinions!
But let me say this: every fucking developer of the world should learn from this masterpiece, so that every game can be as fun and with the ability to keep you playing till the very end!

In no other game I played in last 20 years I could find one that could give me as many chills of excitement as Ocarina of Time. Never!!!

Was this your first time playing?

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't know. I think it's fun, but I'm not that amazed by the game. Only at the Fire Temple...kind of bored of it now.

The game feels fairly shallow, the puzzles have been mostly uninteresting, unimaginative, and unchallenging. The bosses have been a major letdown after how much people had been building them up. The only difficulty in the game comes from needing to explore every nook and cranny just to find out where to go next. For example, hiding the hookshot in a little grave was terrible.

BrikHog

Neo Member
Beat it for the first time about a few weeks ago and IT WAS GLORIOUS. I really wish however that some of the other temples utilized the "young/adult" passage ways that the Spirit Temple used. Once you reach adult you really have no reason to go back to young link but for minor things. All in all though, 10/10. I finally see what was so great about this game.

Really looking foward to Majoras Mask remake if nintendo decides to make one. If not ill just hit up the N64 version.

Ydahs

Just beat it for the first time and I can now understand all the love. It doesn't feel like a game made a decade ago. Its simplicity is its strength, which is a welcome after many games this generation strive for overly complicated control schemes and game play.

I did feel it dragged on a bit towards the end and the final boss was... annoying, but overall it was a memorable experience. The perfect game to get me hyped for Skyward Sword.

With all that said, I think I prefer TP because of the combat system and dungeons. TP's dungeons though didn't have as many puzzles and head scratching moments as this game, so hopefully SS finds the perfect balance.

I don't understand why people say this game is easy. I mean, it's rare to die and bosses are easy, but puzzles are not. I thought the difficulty was very well balanced. I even used a walk through at a couple of points, something I haven't done for years (but this was more due to not knowing where to go!).

Also, I stick by what a said when I posted my first impressions. 3D is one of the most important advancements in gaming. The immersion it adds to the game is unbelievable. A couple of times I took 3D off to save battery and everything felt so... dull. AA is nice, but the perception of depth trumps any advantage AA brings. Heck, you don't even realize the aliasing after ten minutes of 3D play.

A Zelda 3DS will be epic.

Now, to download Link's Awakening on the 3DS or to finally play Chrono Trigger DS.

Roto13

I've finished Dodongo's Cavern in Master Quest mode but I'm not really in the mood to continue. Thankfully, I'm familiar enough with the game where I can just pick it up and play it any time without forgetting what was going on. :p I guess the fact that I also played through Link's Awakening and almost all of Link to the Past since I bought Ocarina of Time 3D isn't helping. I think I need some time away from Zelda.

PKrockin

TheExodu5 said:
I don't know. I think it's fun, but I'm not that amazed by the game. Only at the Fire Temple...kind of bored of it now.

The game feels fairly shallow, the puzzles have been mostly uninteresting, unimaginative, and unchallenging. The bosses have been a major letdown after how much people had been building them up. The only difficulty in the game comes from needing to explore every nook and cranny just to find out where to go next. For example, hiding the hookshot in a little grave was terrible.

Really? (spoiler for this part of the game obviously)
Shiek tells you as soon as you become Adult Link that you need to go to Kakariko Village, then once you get there the first two guys you see talk about Dampe the Gravekeeper's ghost floating around or whatever. You go to the graveyard, you notice a few graves have flowers in front of them, and through further investigation you can pull them open. Not exactly Castlevania II stuff here, the game always tells you where to go and hints what you should do. What do you want, a little golden Fable 3 trail leading to the next item?

TheExodu5

Banned
PKrockin said:
Really? (spoiler for this part of the game obviously)
Shiek tells you as soon as you become Adult Link that you need to go to Kakariko Village, then once you get there the first two guys you see talk about Dampe the Gravekeeper's ghost floating around or whatever. You go to the graveyard, you notice a few graves have flowers in front of them, and through further investigation you can pull them open. Not exactly Castlevania II stuff here, the game always tells you where to go and hints what you should do. What do you want, a little golden Fable 3 trail leading to the next item?

I thought it just felt rather arbitrary and pointless.

TheExodu5

Banned
Roto13 said:
If you hate talking to people and exploring to find things, adventure games are not for you.

I'm playing The Longest Journey at the moment and am having a blast. ;)

I just don't find anything to be particularly gripping in OoT. Maybe the Fire Temple will change my mind.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
You know those games where finishing it feels like a complete chore? OoT is the direct opposite. I've struggled to put 20+ hours into games in my post college years, but OoT is flying by to me. I've put in 22 hours in with an average play time of 1.5 hours. The game is amazing. Just beat the spirit temple, and I'm ready for Ganondorf.

Neo Child

Banned
Finished the game on normal, starting on Master Quest now.

Just tanned through the Deku Tree, I mean it's still easy but I did die once. It's basically brand new, theres graves, new rooms and re-arranged items - not to mention the whole things mirrored....got me by suprise cause I could do the Deku Tree blindfolded in the normal quest.

I'm gunna make this a proper 100% runthrough, all items, all skulltulas etc. One problem... in one of the rooms in the Deku Tree there was a Skulltula on the wall, I killed it but have no idea how to get it... couldn't back-flip or sword jump to get it, was just too high =[

Any ideas?

Desiato

Neo Child said:
Finished the game on normal, starting on Master Quest now.

Just tanned through the Deku Tree, I mean it's still easy but I did die once. It's basically brand new, theres graves, new rooms and re-arranged items - not to mention the whole things mirrored....got me by suprise cause I could do the Deku Tree blindfolded in the normal quest.

I'm gunna make this a proper 100% runthrough, all items, all skulltulas etc. One problem... in one of the rooms in the Deku Tree there was a Skulltula on the wall, I killed it but have no idea how to get it... couldn't back-flip or sword jump to get it, was just too high =[

Any ideas?
Come back later when you have the boomerang.

sfried

AbsoluteZero said:
Okay, I just grabbed the official art from the web and re-typset the wording.

1VE8F.jpg
Thank you very much!
AniHawk said:
man how come europe gets the robin williams. i want the robin williams.
NOE is on a role it seems.

Effect

I really hate the Water Temple. I really do. So frustrating. I've gotten up as far as the water fall room with the moving platforms but I can't get another key. I think I have to get to the hall that is behind a gate that is lowered by shooting an arrow into an eye. Yet can't seem to make it across in time. Can't hook shot across and by the time I get into the water and up on the platform the gate is down every time. Ugh. I guess I need to find a guide but does anyone know what else I'm suppose to do?

Thinking back on things I think this is as far as I got on the original version of the game back on the N64. I got so frustrated, don't remember if I had a guide or not, and gave up. I think this is when I started to focus more on the PS1. I remember feeling things were more fair on the PS1 in terms of game difficulty.

PKrockin

Plenty. I beat him with 12 hearts and one fairy. Just fill those bottles with healing items and you should be good. Unless you're on Master Quest.

sfried

Effect said:
I really hate the Water Temple. I really do. So frustrating. I've gotten up as far as the water fall room with the moving platforms but I can't get another key. I think I have to get to the hall that is behind a gate that is lowered by shooting an arrow into an eye. Yet can't seem to make it across in time. Can't hook shot across and by the time I get into the water and up on the platform the gate is down every time. Ugh. I guess I need to find a guide but does anyone know what else I'm suppose to do?

Thinking back on things I think this is as far as I got on the original version of the game back on the N64. I got so frustrated, don't remember if I had a guide or not, and gave up. I think this is when I started to focus more on the PS1. I remember feeling things were more fair on the PS1 in terms of game difficulty.
I never, ever undrstood what people were hanging up over such an easy dungeon. All i had to do was glance on the map and switch a few floors and I'd know which places I haven't visited. I have only backtracked *once* because I missed a key on the second water level floor (the one where you have to
shoot the switch with the arrow, then longshot to the other side
). But it was never hard for me.

PKrockin

The Water temple isn't hard, it's just annoying because the layout is one big four-story area with like a dozen exits leading out from every floor and direction. It all looks the same and it's too easy to get lost.

Effect

Think I finally figured it out. Ugh. There was a block I had to push which lead me toward the second hook shot. Had no clue about that. Which makes getting across that gap with the eye possible. I didn't realize the block could be pushed. Left the 3DS on the bed and when I came back I got a good look at because I happen to be standing in front of it. Don't know why I didn't try pushing it before.

oatmeal

Banned
Mother Fu-

Forest Temple is a pain in the ass in MQ. I need a key, but can't find it anywhere. I think I need the scarecrow song so I left to go get it.

Hope that solves my problem.

AIRic

Been playing this game for 21 hours now and got 3 medallions (forest, water and fire) from the temples. I love exploring this world and figuring out how to get the Skulkutas. I'm playing it in full 3D all the time and have no problems using the gyro controls. I can now see why It's considered one of the best game of all time and realized what I missed by not playing it much when it was on the N64. Simply an incredible game that made my 3DS purchase worth it.

krae_man

I just finished it. Loved the game. Took me almost 11 years but I'm finally finished.

I completely forgot about where you get the fire spell. I made a note to myself to check that rock by the castle after I got bombs but completely forgot. I got all the way to the shadow temple and hit a road block because I couldn't light all the torches.

Top Bottom