• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Just beat the game. It took me 13 years to finally complete it. Amazing experience, easily top 3 game of all time for me.

Played exactly 25:00 hours on the dot. A nice round number.

oatmeal

Banned
BTW...FUCK fishing in this game.

WTF.

I don't remember it taking so long to reel in a fish before. Gets so close, and then BAM...it somehow magically doubles the distance. FUCK YOU LUNKER.

Rehynn

oatmeal said:
BTW...FUCK fishing in this game.

WTF.

I don't remember it taking so long to reel in a fish before. Gets so close, and then BAM...it somehow magically doubles the distance. FUCK YOU LUNKER.

Oh, it did take this long.
Interesting, the fishing in TP never did if for me, but somehow in OoT I could easily spend 30 minutes at the pond.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
This game has inspired me to go back and beat all the Zelda games I never finished. Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, and Link's Awakening.

Myriadis

Rehynn said:
Oh, it did take this long.
Interesting, the fishing in TP never did if for me, but somehow in OoT I could easily spend 30 minutes at the pond.
I also skipped the fishing in TP the first two playthroughs,but on the third one I decided to spend some time fishing there.After a while I stopped and noticed that I was fishing for two hours.

This game has inspired me to go back and beat all the Zelda games I never finished. Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, and Link's Awakening.
Especially Majoras Mask.It is hard to get used to the time mechanic,but once you get it,the game becomes absolutely awesome.

Tuck

Was at my friend's house, and his cousin showed the game to me. Finally got to see the 3D in action. Really made me want to replay the game. Tempting... tempting... but I think for now I'll pass.

oatmeal

Banned
soldat7 said:
Is fishing required at any point? I just became adult Link.

No. It's fun...just...

That fucking Lunker.

I got him in about 15 minutes my first play through, but for the life of me, I can't get him now.

Started Master Quest today. I thought I was doing really well, but after I broke through the Deku Tree web I got killed by a Deku nut that was shot at me off-screen. That annoyed me enough to quit playing, I'm going to try again tonight though.

I'm tempted to go through the game proper again too. I was pretty much just rushing around since I already knew where to go for everything, I'm thinking about going through again and taking more time to get all the Heart Containers and stuff. Although really after you've done it once, it's never the same again.

Can't wait for Skyward Sword/ new 3DS Zelda. I'm sure they'd wait awhile since the system is getting a ton of ports already, but all the hype for a Majora's Mask remake has me a little worried that they'll bring that out next instead of a new game.

I forgot to check for the dying soldier in the Market, did anyone else see him? I assume they put him in, but since not a lot know about him I thought they may have forgot or not bothered.

dr3upmushroom said:
I forgot to check for the dying soldier in the Market, did anyone else see him? I assume they put him in, but since not a lot know about him I thought they may have forgot or not bothered.

Yep, he's still there. First thing I checked after getting back to Hyrule from the Zora's domain.

Anyways, since we were on the subject of fishing, how the hell do I find the other lure?! I swear I checked every fucking inch of the pond and never found it x___x

oatmeal

Banned
dr3upmushroom said:
I'm tempted to go through the game proper again too. I was pretty much just rushing around since I already knew where to go for everything, I'm thinking about going through again and taking more time to get all the Heart Containers and stuff. Although really after you've done it once, it's never the same again.

Honestly, my first play through I just ran through and grabbed what was in the immediate way, but didn't actively look for shit.

On my MQ run, I'm taking my time, exploring everything available. I have found Heart Containers that I completely forgot about, as well as a ton of Skulltulas that are just off the well-worn track.

One heart container that made me go "OH YAH"

In the tower in the back of Lon Lon Ranch

oatmeal said:
Honestly, my first play through I just ran through and grabbed what was in the immediate way, but didn't actively look for shit.

On my MQ run, I'm taking my time, exploring everything available. I have found Heart Containers that I completely forgot about, as well as a ton of Skulltulas that are just off the well-worn track.

One heart container that made me go "OH YAH"

In the tower in the back of Lon Lon Ranch
The Heart Containers are all in the places in Master Quest, right? It's just the Skulltulas in the dungeons that are moved around? Maybe I'll just take my time playing through Master Quest. I'm thinking about getting all of the Skulltulas too, but it's hard to really care when you don't get much of anything for finding them and there's so many. Plus, I could be wrong but I imagine that at least a few of them are in really hard-to-find locations in Master Quest. Like high enough up on a ceiling that you can't hear or something like that.

I was running chkdsk last night and did not take in to account that I then had nothing else to do.

So I finally put in OoT 3D at around midnight. A few minutes in, after I started controlling Link, I was hit by this wave of nostalgia. I remembered being 13 and begging my parents to let me play the game at midnight of my birthday, since the calendar reflected that it was clearly already December 13th. I remembered putting the cart in and starting the game and doing exactly what I was doing right then on the 3DS thirteen years ago.

I think it may have been the most powerful moment of nostalgia I have ever had.

oatmeal

Banned
dr3upmushroom said:
The Heart Containers are all in the places in Master Quest, right? It's just the Skulltulas in the dungeons that are moved around? Maybe I'll just take my time playing through Master Quest. I'm thinking about getting all of the Skulltulas too, but it's hard to really care when you don't get much of anything for finding them and there's so many. Plus, I could be wrong but I imagine that at least a few of them are in really hard-to-find locations in Master Quest. Like high enough up on a ceiling that you can't hear or something like that.

Heart Pieces yes. And as far as I know, the outside of dungeon Skulltulas are the same.

There are some that I have no idea how I'll get them.

One in the Deku Tree high up on a ceiling that the boomerang doesn't reach, and one in Jabu Jabu...that the boomerang doesn't reach. Both of those aren't accessible as Adult Link (AFAIK), sooo...hm.

ShockingAlberto said:
I was running chkdsk last night and did not take in to account that I then had nothing else to do.

So I finally put in OoT 3D at around midnight. A few minutes in, after I started controlling Link, I was hit by this wave of nostalgia. I remembered being 13 and begging my parents to let me play the game at midnight of my birthday, since the calendar reflected that it was clearly already December 13th. I remembered putting the cart in and starting the game and doing exactly what I was doing right then on the 3DS thirteen years ago.

I think it may have been the most powerful moment of nostalgia I have ever had.

I enjoyed and appreciate this post.

oatmeal

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
I enjoyed and appreciate this post.

Same.

I don't know if Zelda quality has dropped, or if I've just gotten older...but the new Zelda's don't have that quality to them.

I turn on Zelda 1 through OoT and am hit by their quality. Wind Waker has a lot of that, too...but when I hit TP and the shitty DS games, I'm just like...blah.

(EDIT)

I did love TP, though. The first time through.

Hobbun

I’ve played OoT several times in the past, but never had played past the Forest and Fire Temples. However, I’ve gotten farther with my 3DS copy than ever before, as I started the Water Temple yesterday.

I’ve really enjoyed it, but the Water Temple is driving me mad! I actually did really well with it up to the point of
the room with the whirlpools. I can get past the first three whirlpools just fine. However, that fourth whirlpool, which takes up almost all of the passageway, I always get sucked in! It’s the whirlpool right before both pots that are against the wall.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hobbun said:
I’ve played OoT several times in the past, but never had gotten past the Forest and Fire Temples. However, I’ve gotten farther with my 3DS copy than ever before, as I started the Water Temple yesterday.

I’ve really enjoyed it, but the Water Temple is driving me mad! I actually did really well with it up to the point of
the room with the whirlpools. I can get past the first three whirlpools just fine. However, that fourth whirlpool, which takes up almost all of the passageway, I always get sucked in! It’s the whirlpool right before both pots that are against the wall.

It is possible. Don't forget to use your Iron Boots though and more importantly, to sometimes not use them.

OMG Aero

Hobbun said:
I’ve played OoT several times in the past, but never had played past the Forest and Fire Temples. However, I’ve gotten farther with my 3DS copy than ever before, as I started the Water Temple yesterday.

I might be thinking of the wrong room, but can't you use the iron boots and walk right past them?

Hobbun

I’ve tried it with my iron boots on and off. The iron boots just takes longer to get sucked in. I will try to roll away from the whirlpool, but then I slide back towards it (as I don’t get far enough away). If I try to get past it without the boots, I just get sucked in quicker. The problem still in using the boots, is the floor slopes down all around the whirlpool, and the slope starts 'right' next to the wall. So if I try to walk with the boots, I just start sliding down the slope (towards the whirlpool).

I don’t know, maybe I’m swimming incorrectly (without the boots), somehow. I try to swim as close to the wall as I can, but haven’t had much luck.

Neo Child

Banned
This is mindblowing to me since I only realised you could do this in the 3DS version...

Press 'B' repeatedly to swim faster.

Who knew? ?I sure didnt.

Neo Child said:
This is mindblowing to me since I only realised you could do this in the 3DS version...

Press 'B' repeatedly to swim faster.

Who knew? ?I sure didnt.

Worked in original OoT, not in MM, if I remember correctly.

Something I wasn't able to determine in the 3DS version was whether the crouching stab was still as powerful as the attack you had used last, or if it's a regular hit.

Roto13

Holy Order Sol said:
Worked in original OoT, not in MM, if I remember correctly.

Something I wasn't able to determine in the 3DS version was whether the crouching stab was still as powerful as the attack you had used last, or if it's a regular hit.
Nope, they fixed that.

Sennorin

Banned
I´m playing Master Quest for the first time, and daaamn, the dungeon´s are almost completely new (the basic map layout is the same, but the rooms are filled with entirely new stuff and puzzles and enemies). Just finished Dodongo´s cave. Really fresh way how the dungeon makes you start with the upper level and then work your way around to the lower one.

Oni Jazar

I guess there's no way to jump straight into Master Quest? I've played OOT about 5 times in n64 & GC and I'd be glad for a different challenge.

Chopper

Oni Jazar said:
I guess there's no way to jump straight into Master Quest? I've played OOT about 5 times in n64 & GC and I'd be glad for a different challenge.
Nope. You'll have to speed-run the main quest again first. I was disappointed too.

Muskweeto

Roto13 said:
Nope, they fixed that.
They did?
I have to train myself to not use that trick then.
That sucks.
I posted this earlier in this thread, but I used the sword stab on Bongo Bongo's eye and he just took it until he died without me having to attack his hands again. I haven't tried it again though.

Can you still do the trick to use the broken deku stick as a stronger sword?
I would check but I don't have the game on me and I just thought about it.

Just picked up the game yesterday, and the game looks GREAT. Such a nicely put together package. Can't wait to get home from work and sink in a few hours.

Just finished it. I won't lie, I teared up at the end
end
credits. The music, the fact that I finished a game that I in some way started 13 years ago. I'm almost 20 now and this game gave me the feeling of that amazing youth that I've missed the last couple of years. The world nowadays wants you to act so mature, and just as Link
travels back in time to relive his youth
, like that it felt for me to play this game again.

It was an amazing journey, one that I will now lay to rest for quite some years. It is just great to have an old friend ready for you when you're sad. This game just made me happy. It made me that seven-year old boy again, that just lived a happy uncomplicated life.

Thank you, Link, for the memories.

Hobbun

Pizza Luigi said:
Just finished it. I won't lie, I teared up at the end
end
credits. The music, the fact that I finished a game that I in some way started 13 years ago. I'm almost 20 now and this game gave me the feeling of that amazing youth that I've missed the last couple of years. The world nowadays wants you to act so mature, and just as Link
travels back in time to relive his youth
, like that it felt for me to play this game again.

It was an amazing journey, one that I will now lay to rest for quite some years. It is just great to have an old friend ready for you when you're sad. This game just made me happy. It made me that seven-year old boy again, that just lived a happy uncomplicated life.

Thank you, Link, for the memories.

Great post.

I hope to feel the same as yourself when I finish the game. Where I have played it multiple times, I've never actually finished it yet.

Now I just need to get past these damn whirlpools...

olimpia84

schennmu said:
Jesus Christ, getting stuck every 5 minutes. "Go to Kokiroku (or whatever) village" OK, what now???

Kakariko! And you can't expect the game to spell everything out for you, it'll ruin the fun and challenge ;)

olimpia84 said:
Kakariko! And you can't expect the game to spell everything out for you, it'll ruin the fun and challenge ;)

I know, I know :) But some of the stuff seems so random!
Also screw you fairy! Was it that annoying in the original game?

I always run into a problem near the end of Zelda games.

I love them all the way through, getting new tools, using them to get to new areas, collecting hearts, etc. But near the last dungeon or so I just lose interest. Maybe I just don't care enough about the story to finish it, or maybe I just enjoy them more for the exploration and when I've finally explored everywhere in the world I just stop caring.

I got to the Desert dungeon about 3 weeks ago and I haven't been back to the game since. I did the exact same thing in Wind Waker, got to the final boss dungeon and then just stopped. I've never beaten either of these Zelda games to date, but I do intend to finally finish OoT soon, and Wind Waker after I upgrade my PC.

Maybe it's a problem with how some Zelda games are paced or maybe I just like the journey more than I like the destination.

oatmeal

Banned
Jesus tits...the Fire Temple is long in the MQ.

I get the hammer right away...and I feel like I've done everything EXCEPT the boss's key. And now I'm just running around in circles and have no clue where to go. There's a gated door in the big room with all the lizalfos jump down and it has a treasure chest in it. No idea...

Goddam.

Top Bottom