• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
FairXchange said:
I just finished Spirit Temple, myself. This game and the whole experience in 3D has made the 3DS pretty much my best gaming purchase of 2011.

Yup Loving the 3d, and surprisingly loving the motion aiming for the bow and slingshot, especially for things like the bow and arrow minigame, makes it a fucking breeeeeeeze

oatmeal

Banned
I'm finding myself switching to 2D sometimes, notably during boss fights, when I may move my head around a bit more than I normally would.

The 'loss of 3D' effect when you move out of the zone is really distracting sometimes.

(EDIT)
BTW, is anyone playing this at full 3D? My lord, my eyes kill after 3 seconds, though the effect is pretty awesome.

oatmeal said:
(EDIT)
BTW, is anyone playing this at full 3D? My lord, my eyes kill after 3 seconds, though the effect is pretty awesome.

It's interesting to see how different people react to the 3D. I play this in 3D and ONLY in 3D, so I don't really understand how it would bother anyone that much, unless of course it's due to an eye problem or such. I don't have problems keeping it in focus, and I almost never lose the effect when moving around.

Kazerei

Banned
TheCongressman1 said:
oatmeal said:
It's interesting to see how different people react to the 3D. I play this in 3D and ONLY in 3D, so I don't really understand how it would bother anyone that much, unless of course it's due to an eye problem or such. I don't have problems keeping it in focus, and I almost never lose the effect when moving around.

I can play with 3D on perfectly fine now, but it took some time for me to get used to it. When I first got my 3DS, I played around with it for about an hour, and then when I looked up, somehow the floor appeared to be slanted and things seemed to pop out more... O_O

After about a week, the 3DS stopped messing up my vision. S'all good :)

Syckx

Just finished the game. It's been several years since I last played it, and I had forgotten just how well done the ending to the game was done. Really does a fantastic job playing on the different relationships in the game,
and ending with the freeze frame of young Link returning to Hyrule Castle and meeting Zelda again
was a great lasting image. I still prefer A Link to the Past, but OoT is such a well done game, even 13 years later.

Just finished. 22 hours and 15 minutes, not a 100% run, but not a barebones run either. Used ZERO assistance(unlike my completely guided 8 year old self) and tore apart the Water Temple, an achievement that my inner-child thanks me for accomplishing.

I'd say this is by far the superior version of the game, but I hesitate to say the greatest game ever. Nostalgia is a fickly bitch and still wants OoT64 to be the all-time favorite game.

RAAAAAGE! The targeting system with
Bongo Bongo
is so annoying. I am now entirely at the beginning of the temple. Going to stock up on milk and fairies first. The
Shadow Temple
is by far the worst to go through because it's SO linear.

Pizza Luigi said:
RAAAAAGE! The targeting system with
Bongo Bongo
is so annoying. I am now entirely at the beginning of the temple. Going to stock up on milk and fairies first. The
Shadow Temple
is by far the worst to go through because it's SO linear.

I agree completely on both counts. My only death was in that fight due to targeting and constantly flipping around and becoming disoriented. The second try I never got hit once I calmed down and reoriented myself.

Hylian7

GJS said:
You don't have to do that in MQ, in fact it might not even be possible in MQ due to the changes.

They made such a simple change to this puzzle in MQ but I've seen a lot of people not think of it and get stuck,
all you have to do is crouch to pass under it.
Heh, my solution was different than both of those to that one.

Time it right and roll under it.

Rehynn

oatmeal said:

Full 3D all the time, no eye strain problems for me. However, I don't find the 3D as awesome as some people, but it's still a very nice addition, I definitely prefer it over 2D in this game. To me, the coolest thing about this remake is the gyro controls. I thought they would feel gimmicky but they are fast and accurate, and I love being able to look around while pressing down L without locking onto anything.

I'm taking my time with the game, just got the Lens of Truth and entered the Shadow Temple. I just don't feel like playing this on the bus and during the day, Zelda has always been quality time evening/late night gaming to me.

Nugg

Rehynn said:
I just don't feel like playing this on the bus and during the day, Zelda has always been quality time evening/late night gaming to me.
Same for me, I like to play at night before going to bed, but my eyes are so tired from the day it makes it hard to play with 3D on. I feel like I must chose between playing during the day with 3D, or playing at night without 3D.

I play at night with 3D, fuck my eyes.

Muskweeto

I just had something weird happen while fighting
Bongo Bongo, after attacking both his hands and hitting his eye with an arrow
, he just stayed knocked out and let me attack him until he died.
I used the trick where you do the jump attack then crouch with your shield and do multiple sword stabs doing the same amount of damage as the jump attack and he just took it until dead.

Is
Shadow Link/Dark Link/whatever he's called
(you fight him in the Water Temple) supposed to be this easy? I can just slash at him like a dozen times and eventually a blow will penetrate his defenses. Then I just turn around and do the same thing again, because he'll always try to attack me from behind, rinse, repeat until dead. Or maybe I simply got lucky -- two times in a row because silly me forgot to save the game before quitting the first time. I didn't get hit once.

farnham

Banned
magicalsoundshower said:
Is
(you fight him in the Water Temple) supposed to be this easy? I can just slash at him like a dozen times and eventually a blow will penetrate his defenses. Then I just turn around and do the same thing again, because he'll always try to attack me from behind, rinse, repeat until dead. Or maybe I simply got lucky -- two times in a row because silly me forgot to save the game before quitting the first time. I didn't get hit once.
he is easy with biggorons sword

RykEA.jpg

Got my CD yesterday. I'm actually not sure I'm going to open it, honestly.

Gooster said:
Got my CD yesterday. I'm actually not sure I'm going to open it, honestly.

Just open it, It's not like it's some collectible that's gonna be worth anything someday. the fact that it's already available for download has dropped it's value to absolutely zero.

On another note, I just beat OoT, the oldest game in my backlog. Great game.

Locke_211

I'm playing through Link's Awakening for the first time in 10 years or so and absolutely love it. I'd really recommend that anyone who hasn't played it before gets it once they've finished Ocarina! It's definitely worth the Virtual Console price and it's nice to re-experience the 2D style of dungeon.

Bearded Dudebro said:
Just open it, It's not like it's some collectible that's gonna be worth anything someday. the fact that it's already available for download has dropped it's value to absolutely zero.

That's not how it works.

Muskweeto

magicalsoundshower said:
Is
He really is that easy, I did the same thing as you, he's no harder than any regular enemy, just takes a lot to kill him, depending on how many hearts you have.

oatmeal

Banned
TheCongressman1 said:

I play in 3D, but only a little bit. I'm talking at FULL 3D...slider at the top. Is that even playable?

oatmeal

Banned
Finished it this morning.

Such an amazing game. So good. Better than I remember even. TP and WW don't come close to the magic that this game has. No pacing issues, nothing like that.

Anyway, I unlocked MQ and will jump into that soon. Where is Boss Rush mode, though? I thought it would unlock at some point? I don't see it in the menus.

PKrockin

oatmeal said:
I play in 3D, but only a little bit. I'm talking at FULL 3D...slider at the top. Is that even playable?

Speaking as someone who just began the game and marathon played my way through to the Shadow Temple overnight in about 11 hours with 3D on full blast, yes. And it is glorious.

...I love weekends.

OK maybe not quite glorious, but the 3D is pretty classy in this game. I don't even have much trouble with the gyro, I just use it for precise adjustments.

oatmeal

Banned
I started the MQ, got to the Deku Tree and shut it off to go out for a bit.

I'm going to play on almost full 3D. Force my eyes to adjust.

oatmeal

Banned
Beat the Deku Tree...fuuuuck, died 3 times in that first room with all of the little ghoma's.

Then I went through and didn't die...

Goddam.

blamite

oatmeal said:
Any time I turn on 3D at any level, I get crazy amounts of "ghost images" to the sides of everything in the environment. The game looks super cool in 3D, especially is places with water of lava, but the ghost images are too frequent for me to keep it turned on.

Locke_211

There's a really easy to overlook notice about the Boss Rush mode being unlocked. I think it's after the Forest Temple, when you talk to Sheik again at the Temple of Time. He now says something like 'you can now fight your previous enemies in your dreams' or something.

OMFG you can skip the fucking shit that owl says by tapping B in this version. Fuck everything else, this was worth the price of admission just for that.

Myriadis

ThoseDeafMutes said:
OMFG you can skip the fucking shit that owl says by tapping B in this version. Fuck everything else, this was worth the price of admission just for that.

You can also skip this with B in the N64 version.It seems that many people don't know this.

topramen

Myriadis said:
You can also skip this with B in the N64 version.It seems that many people don't know this.

That's mindblowing

So many hours of slamming AAAAAAAAAAA "HOW MUCH DO YOU TALK FUCK" AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

SHIT, NOW HE'S REPEATING IT

Rich!

right, first visual fuckup I've noticed. Playing through the forest temple again, at night. In the n64 version, the sky in the courtyard rooms stays daytime. In OOT3D its a night sky at night. This would be awesome if it wasn't for the fact that everything below the sky is still lit as if it was in bright sunshine. doh.

Cygnus X-1

I'm doing the Spirit temple. I switch 3D effect to 2D sometimes just to see how I was used to play this game. Terrible. Right now, I couldn't play Ocarina of Time on N64 anymore. This is the definitive version of OoT.

Problem right now is that I want Majora's Mask really badly...

oatmeal said:

I do. Amazing experience.

TheCongressman1 said:

Same with me. It just looks like you're really watching a real sequence. Like in a theater.

The Lamp

oatmeal said:
I'm finding myself switching to 2D sometimes, notably during boss fights, when I may move my head around a bit more than I normally would.

The 'loss of 3D' effect when you move out of the zone is really distracting sometimes.

(EDIT)

The moment I saw 3D on the 3DS, I started using it at full-blast for everything all the time. My eyes don't tire, with or without my reading glasses on. It's great :)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The Spirit Temple is actually cooler on N64 IMO. The fact that this game has lighting makes it so much...less creepy. The original is like a freaking tomb.

Top Bottom