• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

oatmeal said:
Jesus tits...the Fire Temple is long in the MQ.

I get the hammer right away...and I feel like I've done everything EXCEPT the boss's key. And now I'm just running around in circles and have no clue where to go. There's a gated door in the big room with all the lizalfos jump down and it has a treasure chest in it. No idea...

Goddam.
I think you need to go back to the main entrance. There is a door to the right of the stairs that you can get to with the hammer.

I could be wrong, though.

KarmaCow

oatmeal said:
Jesus tits...the Fire Temple is long in the MQ.

I get the hammer right away...and I feel like I've done everything EXCEPT the boss's key. And now I'm just running around in circles and have no clue where to go. There's a gated door in the big room with all the lizalfos jump down and it has a treasure chest in it. No idea...

Goddam.

AFAIK, you don't need that chest. As for the boss key,
it's near the giant lava room

The water temple is even worse (better?). You get the everything but the boss key within like a minute inside the temple.

ampere

Looking at some of these posts it looks like some people are playing OoT for the first time on 3DS. That's awesome that new people are getting to experience it. I don't have a 3DS yet, but I can't wait to replay OoT this way when I get one.

carlo6529

So I just beat the game on the regular mode. Game still holds up. It was cool to see how MQ unlocks.

I have been waitiing since the original release of the game for the Zelda game where Ganon breaks free from the Evil Realm and starts murdering the Sage decendants, like he claims he will at the end of OoT

Seda

carlo6529 said:
I have been waitiing since the original release of the game for the Zelda game where Ganon breaks free from the Evil Realm and starts murdering the Sage decendants, like he claims he will at the end of OoT

I'm pretty sure we are supposed to infer that is revealed in
The Wind Waker

carlo6529

Seda said:
I'm pretty sure we are supposed to infer that is revealed in
The Wind Waker

Man.. I hope it wasn't wasted like that.
Is it revealed in the opening sequence with the story book panels/pictures?

carlo6529 said:
So I just beat the game on the regular mode. Game still holds up. It was cool to see how MQ unlocks.

Considering OoT was meant as a prequel to ALttP, wouldn't ALttP be what you're looking for?

carlo6529

Roto13 said:
Well if you're expecting a big massacre scene, you're probably never going to get it. Zelda isn't that kind of game.

They wouldn't necessarily have to show it happening. Link could just find out through word of mouth or something which would give him the incentive to venture off.

If you played DQ8,
I always imagined the murders happening similar to how Dhoulmagus kills off characters in the game

oatmeal

Banned
KarmaCow said:
AFAIK, you don't need that chest. As for the boss key,
it's near the giant lava room

The water temple is even worse (better?). You get the everything but the boss key within like a minute inside the temple.

Yeah that big lava room has a couple things that stump me.

For one, there are like 10 hook shot targets.

Second, there's a cave way high up with a torch that needs to be lit...but I'm not sure which torch I can use to it, as most are pressed against a wall.

And there's the one door that has bars in front of it...and I'm not sure how to open it.

I'm taking a break, I'll see if I can figure it out.

One thing I love about MQ is the enemies. Stalfos and Lizalfos just appear all the time, it's great.

MisterHero

carlo6529 said:

He does start killing Sages in both the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (and he is shown doing just that)

And if Zelda in LttP is any support for the following possibility, none of the Maidens were killed, just kept in crystals like Zelda

Pyrrhus

Jocchan said:
Does the size of the Hylian Loach you catch get saved anywhere?
I believe you can look at the fish tank on the counter beside the shop owner and it will tell you the size of the largest fish you have caught.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
oatmeal said:
I want a spin-off without Link that takes place during the Imprisonment Wars.

OOT is Link being retconed into the Imprisoning War. If the content of the game didn't make it obvious, numerous OOT staff interviews corroborate it.

(Fan-theory about Four Sword Adventures un-retconning it is just that: fan theory. Particularly since it's based on a theoretical development plot that ended up being unused in the actual final game.)

Of course if this is just a more innocent comment desiring a game in that era had OOT not existed rather than a timeline claim, then sure, that could be sorta neat. Except... impossible to play? Is it really a Zelda game if you aren't Link?

Effect

For being a fan of the Zelda series I have realize I've only beaten a few of them. Either something comes along and pulls me away from the game or I got so frustrated when I was younger I never finished even though I might be near the end. The ones I beat are Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening and Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Now I can thankfully include Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time to that very short list. :)

Just beat the game a few minutes and ago loved it. It being portable was the key I think for me finally pushing through with the game. That and the great work Grezzo did updating the game's graphics and working on the 3DS controls. Strange that
Ganon was easier to fight then Ganondorf but I guess he would have to be considering the state one might be in after fighting Ganondorf

It is interesting and very cool to see how progressive the game originally was in how it showcased women.
Five out of the seven sages are women for example and this group are the only ones powerful enough to seal away Ganon.
True you do a lot of saving but still the end result speaks for itself. Then again Nintendo has tended to be good about that. Samus in Metroid for example (ignoring Metroid Other M but that's another topic) and how they have no problem showing female characters in the Smash Bros games. The female characters in the Advance War games (using the DS ones as those are the only ones I've played) tend to be well done too I feel.

I'm a bit Zelda out at the moment. At least as far as OoT goes. I most likely won't be tackling the Master Quest until perhaps sometime next year. I think I might have a desire to play the game again by then.

Roto13

All of the sage characters in Link to the Past were women, too.

Beat Jabu Jabu's Belly in Master Quest today. I've been playing bits of it here and there, but can rarely be bothered to tackle a dungeon. I always do entire dungeons in one sitting. I'm burnt out on Zelda for now. I've played through three of them in about the last month. :p (Ocaruna of Time, Link's Awakening, and Link to the Past.)

oatmeal

Banned
Heh.

MQ Fire Temple, was running from a door to another one, jumping over the rocks when one shoots up into the air and I can solve the puzzle leading to the Boss's Key.

Thank God.

WEGGLES

Playing OoT for the first time, in any form.

Sneaking into the castle, the sleeping dude... that was dumb. I talked to the girl and she didn't give me the chicken at first. Seemed a little lame.

Other wise, enjoying the game and the 3D. Shocked how nice it looks. Shame if you are 1 degree off from dead on it ruins it :'[

WEGGLES said:
Do what I did. Buy now. Use 30 day price guarantee on the 12th. Have your cake and eat it too! :)
And hope the cheaper device doesn't have a different SKU (like it does on Amazon.com) thus ruining your plans for the price guarantee.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Pyrrhus said:
I believe you can look at the fish tank on the counter beside the shop owner and it will tell you the size of the largest fish you have caught.
I see, thanks :)

WEGGLES

Dreamwriter said:
And hope the cheaper device doesn't have a different SKU (like it does on Amazon.com) thus ruining your plans for the price guarantee.
w....what?

shadyspace said:
I can't wait for when this blows up in everyone's face who did it.

It was on sale for $200 here anywho. So even if I don't get money back, $30 for 20 games? Not too shabby.

I just got a 3DS with this game yesterday. Took me a while to get used to the 3D effect and how I should hold the system, but going well now. I beat the first dungeon, but wanting to save, hit the power button instead, being used to the start button being in that position on the DS Lite. I hadn't saved before that. Fuuuuuck. . .

Roto13

At the end of the first dungeon in Master Quest I went to the menu to make a game note and then accidentally pressed X instead of the Home button, so I quit without saving. Stupid me. :p

McNum

Aw, I just had my first Game Over in Master Quest. Dodongo Cave. I've been OCD'ing about Heart Pieces and I still got beat up. Well, more like finding out that environmental dangers ALSO do double damage.

Ah well, I kind of like that the game now fights back. I got through standard OoT easily, but I'm going to have to carry fairies with a purpose this time instead of "Well, what else would I carry?"

Muskweeto

McNum said:
Aw, I just had my first Game Over in Master Quest. Dodongo Cave. I've been OCD'ing about Heart Pieces and I still got beat up. Well, more like finding out that environmental dangers ALSO do double damage.

Ah well, I kind of like that the game now fights back. I got through standard OoT easily, but I'm going to have to carry fairies with a purpose this time instead of "Well, what else would I carry?"
I was being very careful not to die in master quest, I almost made it until I got to the spirit temple and was killed by a FREAKING FLYING POT!
I haven't died in OOT since my first playthrough thirteen years ago.

BLARG!!!

McNum

Muskweeto said:
I was being very careful not to die in master quest, I almost made it until I got to the spirit temple and was killed by a FREAKING FLYING POT!
I haven't died in OOT since my first playthrough thirteen years ago.

BLARG!!!
There's one puzzle that, as far as I can tell, required you to
do an unsafe jump to get a bomb flower where it needed to be. I aimed wrong and landed in the lava at three hearts left. -1 for the fall -½ for the lava, -1 for the bomb -½ for the lava.
Oops. Bonus, I had a bottle of Lon Lon milk and a Red Potion. User error.

But I can't see anywhere that counts the amount of deaths in this version of OoT. Still, I love that OoT can kick my ass. I hope Skyward Sword has a hard mode unlock when you beat it, too.

Just started this game up yesterday, and today I'm at Jabu-Jabu's belly. The game looks totally incredible, I'm still amazed at each new location and how smooth it is. There are so many little things in the game that bring back the feeling of playing it back at launch, so many years ago. The game holds up perfectly. I am having a blast.

That said, sometimes when things are very close in 3D, it makes me go all cross-eyed or something. There's a shot through some leaves or something right as you're going into Zora's Domain (during the cutscene of the waterfall parting) that always messes with my eyes for a second.

Anybody else have the Heart Container glitch where it shows up as two images no matter what level of 3D is set (besides off)? Only got it one time my first play through at the end of the Deku Tree.

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
KeeSomething said:
Does the shark in the Lake Hylia Lab look any better? Any screenshots of it?
Yeah it's made up of polygons now instead of being a 2D image. One of first things I went to check on hehe.

castlegar

Piercedveil said:
Anybody else have the Heart Container glitch where it shows up as two images no matter what level of 3D is set (besides off)? Only got it one time my first play through at the end of the Deku Tree.
That happened to me first dungeon. I thought something was wrong with my eyes, so I'm glad to hear it's not just me

krae_man

Piercedveil said:

I got that too. I think it happened a second time for me at some point later but I forget where.

oatmeal

Banned
timetokill said:
There's a shot through some leaves or something right as you're going into Zora's Domain (during the cutscene of the waterfall parting) that always messes with my eyes for a second.

Every goddamn time!

oatmeal

Banned
The Well in the MQ was a lot trickier...it was a lot less annoying because there aren't any hidden trap floors...but, it was pretty tricky.

Stuck at the forest temple. Did everything possible until now but the only thing left are those eyes I could previously shoot with the slingshot. Did I miss the bow somewhere or am I just missing something?

schennmu said:
Stuck at the forest temple. Did everything possible until now but the only thing left are those eyes I could previously shoot with the slingshot. Did I miss the bow somewhere or am I just missing something?
Go to the outside area and from there go to the right section where there is a climbable wall kill the skeleton spiders (forgot their actual name) with your hookshot and climb it.
I was in your situation less than an hour ago.

Quick music related question: Listening to The shadow Temple music last night I picked up on a few of the backing sounds which in fact seemed to be the track for Dodongo's Cavern/Death Mountain Crater. So is the music of Dodongo's Cavern actually just the backing track of the Shadow Temple?

Top Bottom