• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Griffin

Am I the only one who think it's unjustified to give a remake a perfect score? or even higher than what they gave to the original version.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
TSA said:
OH MEGA TROLL.

Koizumi: Aonuma-san, wanna switch with me on Super Mario Bros. sometime?

Aonuma: Hey, that sounds good… Not!

Koizumi: I'll make the next Zelda game. Then you can enjoy playing it.

Best part of the interview.

Koizumi annihilated. :lol

steadfast

Pizza Luigi said:
Bought it. I'm not in Kakariko Village. It's all so ridiculously good looking. Oh my god.

Okay guys, let me say this with all the honesty in my heart. I was sceptic about the 3DS, although I bought it at launch. I played Pilotwings, I played Nintendogs, I collected all the Streetpass shit, but only now, it really dawns on me. This is what this thing can do.

The 3D is actually amazing. More so than in any game or feature on the device. It brings something to the experience that has never been experienced before. It's mind-blowing. What a game people. I loved it as a kid, and I still love it. I love you, Nintendo.

This is compelling. If I go to a Target and this is running in a demo station this weekend, I may not be able to control myself.

OoT grabs my nostalgia nuts more than any other game/remake.

(also, hanging out in this thread doesn't help self control, either.

Pizza Luigi said:
Bought it. I'm not in Kakariko Village. It's all so ridiculously good looking. Oh my god.

Okay guys, let me say this with all the honesty in my heart. I was sceptic about the 3DS, although I bought it at launch. I played Pilotwings, I played Nintendogs, I collected all the Streetpass shit, but only now, it really dawns on me. This is what this thing can do.

The 3D is actually amazing. More so than in any game or feature on the device. It brings something to the experience that has never been experienced before. It's mind-blowing. What a game people. I loved it as a kid, and I still love it. I love you, Nintendo.

Amazing. *thumbs up*

Tucah

you speak so well
Griffin said:
Am I the only one who think it's unjustified to give a remake a perfect score? or even higher than what they gave to the original version.

If it's a remake that improves upon the original, why is it unjustified to give it a perfect score?

bumpkin

Pizza Luigi said:
What the hell! All you people in the US that already have the game; where did you order/buy it from? I'm jealous as hell that I gotta wait until Sunday to get the game. :(

ashbash159 said:
I'm so annoyed. I really expected the game to arrive today.

GAME.co.uk has pretty much always given me my preorders a day before official release.

Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow then.

Done with Game.co.uk now mate. there shipping email was total BS! I was expecting it today and they screwed up.

One dude on another forum got the shipping email on tuesday but today he got this.

Originally Posted by yesteryeargames
Just received this

Dear Christopher, Thanks for Pre-Ordering The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time from Game.co.uk. Unfortunately there has been a mix up in our distribution centre and your order has not been shipped in time for delivery on launch day. We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused and can confirm that your order will be despatched tomorrow and we hope for it to arrive over the weekend. The Game Customer Service Team

LOL that explains all

Griffin said:
probably yes, for a few reasons.

things can be better than we originally thought in retrospect. when something like this happens it's a perfect oppurtunity to reassess our original judgements, even if there weren't objective improvements (performance) and subjective improvements (graphics).

angelfly

NCSX had a shipping delay so my copy won't be here this week although I should have it on Monday. I had planned to play through it fully on Saturday :(

kobashi100 said:
Done with Game.co.uk now mate. there shipping email was total BS! I was expecting it today and they screwed up.

One dude on another forum got the shipping email on tuesday but today he got this.
Luckily I haven't had one of these emails. I'm still hoping for tomorrow.

[Nintex]

Great interview I knew Koizumi was quite the Nintendo genius but I didn't know he designed Link and all that.
Iwata:
My own impression is that The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time firmly established the "essence of Zelda."

Aonuma:
That's right. That's why it's been hard to make anything ever since! (laughs)
lol

This game is quite incredible, these Grezzo people sure now how to do visuals I love the way it looks. The small control and gameplay refinements work really well too. They upgraded the game while keeping the classic feel.

shadyspace said:
Nah, my US boxart isn't shiny.

My heart is broken.

Hiltz said:
- Koizumi gave Link a pierced ear to make him cooler, but also gave him long underwear to keep him from being overly cool

Fail. Would have loved commando adult Link.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mockingbird said:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297058

Target Deals for this Sunday!

Nintendo 3DS w/ $25 Gift Card - $249.99
Buy Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS ($39.99) get ANY other 3DS game for 50% off

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296896

Best Buy deals for this Sunday!

$39.99 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Get a $25 gift card with the purchase of Zelda and another $39.99 3DS game

Match it amazon!!!!!!

I created a thread about this on Amazon's product page for the game: http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-should-offer-Targets-deals/forum/Fx31RYCRLF4N47B/Tx2P7OATGDV6WM2/1/

If you have a stake in this, consider replying to that thread maybe it we'll get Amazon's attention.

KarmaCow

Kirbyguy said:
Wat. You live in.....?

In Toronto. It might be due to the Canada Post strike but Amazon.ca seems to adapted well since my screen protectors should be here within 2 days of ordering them. I really hope the soundtracks aren't very limited. :/

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Pizza Luigi said:

This makes me giddy being this is the first Zelda game I'll actually play more than an hour of (never beaten one). Come on Sunday!

The Lamp

It's amazing to me how excited people get to play a 13-year-old game many of us have probably bought many times over.

If I soon get a 3DS, though, this will surely be on it. I want to try the 3D.

olimpia84

The Lamp said:
It's amazing to me how excited people get to play a 13-year-old game many of us have probably bought many times over.

It's only considered the best game of all time so maybe that's why.

Naked Snake said:
My heart is broken.

Fail. Would have loved commando adult Link.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I created a thread about this on Amazon's product page for the game: http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-should-offer-Targets-deals/forum/Fx31RYCRLF4N47B/Tx2P7OATGDV6WM2/1/

If you have a stake in this, consider replying to that thread maybe it we'll get Amazon's attention.

Oh man it would be killer if they matched either of those deals. I was planning on buying my 3DS from Amazon this weekend.

rhino4evr

The Lamp said:

I think I would be just as excited if this was a new Zelda game...just not by the PH/ST teams. Knowing the game will he amazing before you play it adds to the excitement as well.

I don't think people will be as excited for Star Fox 64 3D in comparison.

The Lamp said:

This is I guess the fifth version I have or something. I have the original N64 one, I have it on the Gamecube (several times), on the Wii and now also on the 3DS but the experience cannot even be compared.

Little details, like actual dawn or dusk differences in Castle Town (not simply day or night, no, actual daytime differences), the option to view the inside of a house from overhead view or just normal third-person. The dogs, the 3D, the music, just the tiny details everywhere, it is mindblowing.

It's not ANOTHER version of that game, it is THE version of THE best game ever made. If that doesn't excite you I don't know what will. People that have never played it will experience something out of this world, people that have played it...oh, their hearts will fill with nostalgia. If you're doubting to buy a 3DS with OoT 3D, just ask if you can try the game first. Just stroll into Castle Town and see the waltzing couple, and the girl running after the Cuckoo. Take in the view. You won't be able to resist.

This, people, is magic.

(@ the one who asked, I'm in Europe, so I'm not one of those 'holy shit you're early'-Americans)

N.B. Ocarina of Time isn't my favourite Zelda btw, that is Majora's Mask. Nevertheless, the importance and brilliance of this game is clear to me which makes it in my book the best game ever.

rhino4evr said:
I think I would be just as excited if this was a new Zelda game...just not by the PH/ST teams. Knowing the game will he amazing before you play it adds to the excitement as well.

Would content be one of the reasons?

The Lamp

olimpia84 said:
It's only considered the best game of all time so maybe that's why.

Maybe if this was Majora's Mask 3D...lol.

No seriously, though, I've played Ocarina of Time like 8 times. If I got the game again it'd be fun to see it all new in 3D, but the same puzzles and empty overworld over and over again are only so interesting the first few times through for me lol.

I envy those who are going to play this for the first time, though.

Balb

rhino4evr said:

I'd be going crazy over SF643D as well but knowing that it won't have rumble and that the controls probably won't feel nearly as good as they did on the N64 controller tempers my excitement a bit. Also, as great of a game as SF64 is (one of my favorites), $40 is too much for that kind of remake in my opinion. Still getting it though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The Lamp said:

I have never played or owned this game. The only Zelda game I owned was Link's Awakening for old-ass gameboy and I never beat it. :p

The Lamp

Deadly Cyclone said:
I have never played or owned this game. The only Zelda game I owned was Link's Awakening for old-ass gameboy and I never beat it. :p

Well have fun with your torrential downpour of awesome. I'm jealous that you get to play the remake with fresh eyes :p

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The Lamp said:
Well have fun with your torrential downpour of awesome. I'm jealous that you get to play the remake with fresh eyes :p

After hearing how awesome it is and how awesome the original was I can't wait.

I didn't start gaming until N64 days (aside from a GameBoy for Pokemon, sports, etc), and didn't start hardcore gaming until the original Xbox my first year of college (04) so I have a huge backlog of awesome games I never played on all older systems.

BY2K

Membero Americo
To any of you guys who had the game early.

Post a pic of
Adult Malon and Nabooru
. It's the only characters I've haven't seen yet in the remake.

BY2K said:
To any of you guys who had the game early.

Post a pic of
Adult Malon and Nabooru.
It's the only characters I've haven't seen yet in the remake.

Spoiler that please. On that note, post a pic of
Dark Link
too. Just URL it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Some Iwata Ask OoT 3D Translation:

Here are some translated notes from the latest Iwata Asks on The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D:

- Back when they first started making it they didn't know how big a game they would be able to make with the memory constraints. Miyamoto reveals that while they were validating it, he had a worst case scenario in his mind that it would be structured like Mario 64 - only Link would be adventuring in Ganon's castle and it would have separate areas the way Mario 64 uses the paintings. In that case Link wouldn't be able to leave the castle.

- The Forest Temple battle with the Ganon Doppelganger riding a horse out of the painting was a carry over idea from that period of development.

- Iwata mentions that Zelda must have been an exception for Miyamoto - he usually makes his game by first focusing on the game function/elements and then expanding on that, but for Zelda it seems like story was more important. Miyamoto says that is incorrect, he relates it to Twin Peaks - in that show it was less about the story for him and more about what kind of characters would show up. He created Zelda with that mind set of deciding first what kind of characters he wanted to show up in the game.

- Iwata asks Miyamoto about the story and he mentions that he would love it if people would stop focusing on the story, because having to pay attention to all of those details ends up wasting a lot of time. He'd much rather focus on the game itself. He likens this to Yoshi - people as if he is a boy or a girl? Well he's probably a boy, he says. Then he shouldn't be able to produce eggs. But if he's a girl his voice should be more girlie, etc, etc.

- He then relates the concept to Popeye - how these same characters in old cartoons would play different roles every time, and that is kinda how the Mario characters have become. He then mentions that it would be great if people could accept him doing that with the Zelda characters.

- He explains that pre-rendered cut scenes don't line up with his design style at all, and if they have to put some in his games he makes sure that they're done so that they can be easily changed on the fly. So he prefers doing them in real time.

- For the scene in Lon Lon ranch where Ingo chooses to be a sore loser and lock the doors so Link can't get out - originally he wanted to have Ingo burn the ranch down in reaction to that. But then someone brought up "well, what do we do when people go back to the ranch after that?" and that's when Miyamoto chose to give up on that idea.

- At the end, talking about the 25th anniversary Miyamoto reveals that Nintendo of America proposed doing a collectors pack exactly like they did with Mario 25, but Miyamoto and Iwata both shot that down saying that wasnt very Nintendo-like. (Doing it two years in a row)

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26851

About the story bit, now I am the more glad that Aonuma is here. He seems to care more about story than Miyamoto does. I just cannot agree with Miyamoto that story is a waste of time.

Chesskid1 said:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Kazooie

this guy is trying out OOT glitches in the remake

Yea, new stuff is being found now, but also confirming some of the old glitches still work. It's still pretty early on. I hope somebody finds a new way to do ISG or DoT skip. I was surprised by how much they fixed when I was trying out stuff, but some of the new stuff (boulder at the bottom of the well) is amusing.

Nintendo World Report said:
[Miyamoto] mentions that he would love it if people would stop focusing on the story, because having to pay attention to all of those details ends up wasting a lot of time

Sorry Miyamoto. You contradict yourself left and right. Just stick to talking about gameplay and design, please. You're awesome at making games, but leave the story stuff to people on your team who care and understand that a significant part of the fan base cares about it, too.

I should wait for the full translation though, could be a bad paraphrase or something.

Phatcorns

So is Twin Peaks a good show? I've heard before that Miyamoto likes the show a lot. If it's anything like Lost then I'm totally sold.

Amir0x

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
From not wanting it to getting it early. I'm jealous.

i am too much of a Zelda whore to refuse it. I now realize it. Before I raved and ranted and I still think this is a piss poor effort to 'remake' a product that has come out a thousand times, but I cannot resist. I know that now. In the future I won't even bother saying I will. I must own every Zelda game... it's in my DNA :(

Amir0x

Banned
Kirbyguy said:
Ha! We don't even have K-Mart anymore.

;-;

I was like "Do you have Ocarina of Time 3DS? It was supposed to release this past Tuesday!" And he's all "hm, I am sure I saw it. It's in the locked security box we were supposed to put it out today or something... I...I think so." And I replied "oh yeah, totally, it should definitely be out. Wal-Mart had them out but I totally prefer K-mart!"

Then he wobbled his fat ass off and grabbed it out of the security cage from the back room and he sold it to me alongside Alice and inFAMOUS 2. :D

Downhome

Amir0x said:
I was like "Do you have Ocarina of Time 3DS? It was supposed to release this past Tuesday!" And he's all "hm, I am sure I saw it. It's in the locked security box we were supposed to put it out today or something... I...I think so." And I replied "oh yeah, totally, it should definitely be out. Wal-Mart had them out but I totally prefer K-mart!"

Then he wobbled his fat ass off and grabbed it out of the security cage from the back room and he sold it to me alongside Alice and inFAMOUS 2. :D

lmao, so wrong and yet so great...

Top Bottom