• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Eric C

Why is everyone getting this game early?

I had a some of Amazon credit saved up so I got it from Amazon, but Amazon says I won't get it until Wednesday the 22nd :( Seeing everyone getting the game early and posting impressions, makes me really want to play it right now! I didn't have the N64, just had the PSX and Saturn so this will be my very FIRST time playing OoT.

Also, I better still be able to register for the Soundtrack on the 22nd!

Amir0x

Banned
UncleSporky said:
Wait, how would you know 3D mode has jaggies? I thought you had said you'd never turn on 3D, ever.

because it has been stated multiple times by people who have used 3D mode, including with picture evidence in this very topic?

syoaran

Amir0x said:
ah, this first dungeon always brings back fond memories. First time I ever played it was on some kiosk in SEARS of all places. What a crazy day that was. Blown away. "Goddamn they did it...they somehow transferred the Zelda experience into 3D!"

Honestly, I was smiling away in the 1st dungeon with the memories of the layout and how to tackle everything still locked in my mind. I felt like a child again, until it hit me...

... I'm old

Amir0x said:
why do you guys care so much how I play something? Seriously? I answered I won't do it, it's dumb. I don't do dumb things in games if there is another faster and less dumb way to do it.

I always get blamed for derailing threads but it clearly is you guys who won't let things go :p

LOL.

I'm merely suggesting it may not be as bad as you think. I'm not forcing it down your throat.

Amir0x

Banned
UncleSporky said:
Has it? I didn't see it earlier. Apologies if so.

f@lus said:
2d :
585920IMG0516.jpg

3d
237482IMG0515.jpg

we can see AA in 2d here (sorry for shitty pics)

After this evidence, there have been at least half a dozen other OoT players who have confirmed this. It's apparently quite noticeable, as you can see in the image.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DoctorWho said:
LOL.

I'm merely suggesting it may not be as bad as you think. I'm not forcing it down your throat.
Amir0x is stubborn, and that's just the way of things. I find it hilariously endearing. If I'm not shaking my head at an Amir0x post, it means someone else is using his account.

<insert fuckyoutrinkiller7.jpg here>

(btw, ami, I've lost that pic, so if you have it, please post it or PM me so I can save it again.)

rhino4evr

Everyone is different of course. Some people are always going to want that "pure" gaming experience...but personally I'm all for new gimmicks on a 13 year old game I've replayed 5 times.

I'll be using 3D at ALL times and motion control to shoot some skullatas no doubt. Thats why I bought a 3DS in the first place.

Amir0x said:
why do you guys care so much how I play something? Seriously? I answered I won't do it, it's dumb. I don't do dumb things in games if there is another faster and less dumb way to do it.

I always get blamed for derailing threads but it clearly is you guys who won't let things go :p

because you're a mod man, people always interested :p

and OBVIOUSLY that lardass at GAME told me he really, really couldn't sell the game today, spitting nasty shit with his horrendous full on scouse accent. Tomorrow, Ima gonna enter the bleedin shop like the motherfucking Terminator and reply to his "Hello sir :)" with a GIVE ME THE GAME

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ok, so it has AA in 2D, and 3D in 3D. For those that aren't fundamentally opposed to the concept of 3D, which do you prefer? I'm curious how the 3D adds to the immersion in the game. As a pretty direct port I don't expect any stupid in your face gimmicks, but it might add a nice sense of depth to the environment.

But AA sounds nice too

and does 3D make the motion control difficult to use (limited sweet spot etc)

rhino4evr

All I can say is that I've read every review on the net (via metacritic) and all the Neo Gaf impressions these last few days...and based on that I have reason to believe 3D > 2D despite the lack of AA.

BY2K

Membero Americo
mrklaw said:
ok, so it has AA in 2D, and 3D in 3D. For those that aren't fundamentally opposed to the concept of 3D, which do you prefer? I'm curious how the 3D adds to the immersion in the game. As a pretty direct port I don't expect any stupid in your face gimmicks, but it might add a nice sense of depth to the environment.

But AA sounds nice too

For me, the framerate matters most. If the FPS was better in 2D, I would surely play the whole thing in 3D. But since they are the same, I'll probably play in 3D. (Well, most likely I'll switch back and forth between 2D and 3D.)

rhino4evr

mrklaw said:

But AA sounds nice too

and does 3D make the motion control difficult to use (limited sweet spot etc)
One of the best descriptions I read was that Death Mountain actually "feels" far away when viewing it from Hyrule field. The 3D adds a whole other level of depth.

I've also read that the little touches like floating leaves in the lost forest and cut scenes look great in 3D

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Are they selling this early in stores? I'm reading Wal-Mart and K-Mart.
I went to Target and saw this...
2lnzh4.jpg

I grabbed a employee to buy it, but was shot down at the register because it was telling him it was not to be sold until Sunday. :|

Do Wal-Mart and K-Marts registers block sales of stuff early?

I'm with Ami on this one. Play this game the way it was made to be played. The 3D makes it a jaggy mess. The motion controls are fucking stupid.

Big Papa Husker said:

I grabbed a employee to buy it, but was shot down at the register because it was telling him it was not to be sold until Sunday. :|

The Wal-Mart near me did. They had God of War Chains of Olympus once and I tried to buy it and they wouldn't let me.

You may get lucky and they'll sell you one. I think if you can find it at a Kmart, they'll probably sell it to you.

But anyway, thanks for answering my earlier question. I guess I can wait three more days.

My local Bestbuy had it out on shelves, and there was no problem ringing it up at the register. Played enough to clear the Deku Tree (god how many times have I done that in my life?) and it looks glorious in 3d.

Big Papa Husker said:
2lnzh4.jpg

That wasn't a Target on East Colonial in Orlando, was it? I had the same, exact experience and the game layout is exactly the same. Though, they might have a plan-o-gram thing.

bummyhead

Crunched said:
Strange then that the video is showing artifacts. Pause it during movement to see what I mean. It's a comb effect, exactly as you mention. It doesn't seem to be caused by the camera from what I can tell, and it's definitely horizontal. It could be nothing at all, just a quirk of an offscreen video streaming from youtube. But it appears to me that the artifacts are occurring on the 3DS screen.

It could be many things, it could be what I described, artifacts from a camera shutter, or frame rate not synced with the refresh of the screen, it could be artifacts form You Tube, or even from the way the video was encoded, but it's highly unlikely to be present on the actual 3DS screen.

shadyspace said:
Yeah, I really want to take advantage of this but I can't for the life of me think of a 3DS game I want at this point.

Im in same boat.....Street fighter kinda turned me off on fighting games for 3DS, but for 20beans i might give DoA a whirl....Havent read much on Transformers...but cant honestly see that being a good game.Cubic Ninja definitely not on my list.

Wish Frogger was coming out....I dont see it being a full retail game, but id pick it up for 20$ just to support Tak XD

I made a mistake earlier in the Best Buy deal thread thinking RE Mercenaries was coming out next week. It's actually the week after. :(

But DoA, SSFIV, Ghost Recon, and maybe BlazBlue are pretty good choices.

watershed

Banned
BY2K said:
I'm returning SSFIV and put the money on OoT 3D.
Hey I'm going the exact same thing! I bought SSFIV at launch because I wanted to play something other than my ds games and Nintendogs+Cats (which is awesome) but got bored of the game after the first week. At Gamestop it should net $15 bucks or so.

BY2K

Membero Americo
JetBlackPanda said:
does SFIV suck then? maybe i should go with DOA or even ridge racer.

No. It just isn't my kind of games, but I wanted to try out something on 3DS.

EDIT: @artwalknoon: High Five!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Big Papa Husker said:

Most companies do to prevent early sales. There was apparently a glitch with it at Target on Tuesday, so it allowed it to be sold. It's now been fixed so it's unlikely any more will be sold form Target, even if you find it in a shelf. Most early sales come from mom-and-pop shops.

shadyspace said:
I'm with Ami on this one. Play this game the way it was made to be played. The 3D makes it a jaggy mess. The motion controls are fucking stupid.
If you want to play it the way it was meant to be played, don't play it on a portable.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
shadyspace said:

Hey atleast you're willing to try the controls.

Ami sounds like someone who pays out a band or genre of music without having any understanding or having even listened to said band.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
shadyspace said:

I don't mind the 3D but agree it looks better in 2D, but I LOVE the motion control.

Ironballs

Kinda annoyed that i have to waste a registration to get the soundtrack (already hit platinum), but whatever.

Really excited for this. Ideally master quest would be unlocked from the start, but I can see myself doing a couple playthroughs between now and all the big games start coming out in fall.

Top Bottom