• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

[Nintex]

Mistle said:
I'm secretly hoping it means we get that shiny gold cover Tiduz posted. What's the deal with that? Preorder exclusive?
That shiny cover is the EU pre-order box, when you buy/pre-order the game you get two boxes, the gold one with a poster in it and the 'regular' box with the game in it.

Mistle

[Nintex] said:
That shiny cover is the EU pre-order box, when you buy/pre-order the game you get two boxes, the gold one with a poster in it and the 'regular' box with the game in it.
Ah right, cool little bonus. I'm a sucker for a shiny gold Zelda box art. I wish Nintendo had made some sort of exclusive gold carts.

Prime Blue said:
What, what, what? The Gerudo symbol in the Forest Temple?

25i18ir.jpg

I haven't played OoT enough to disprove anything, but for some reason, it looks like it was there before.

Kirbyguy said:
I haven't played OoT enough to disprove anything, but for some reason, it looks like it was there before.
Now that you say it, wasn't the Gerudo symbol (the old one with the crescent moon and the star) on many blocks in the game? Guess the blocks from the GCN rerelease had the redesigned one, then, but I can't remember.

Edit: Yep, did.

I'm so annoyed. I really expected the game to arrive today.

GAME.co.uk has pretty much always given me my preorders a day before official release.

Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow then.

MLH

ashbash159 said:
I'm so annoyed. I really expected the game to arrive today.

GAME.co.uk has pretty much always given me my preorders a day before official release.

Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow then.

Well at least you can guarantee you'll receive it tomorrow.
I pre-ordered my copy from Gamestation and It's not even been posted yet. I emailed them this morning (no way I'm paying 10p/min on the phone) to ask why hasn't it been posted but no reply... :(
I don't no why I have such terrible luck with pre-orders.

CassSept

Aaaaaa, just got mail that my order is ready to be picked up. Won't be able to make it today, but I guess that tomorrow is a good, good day :D

wrowa

The gold cover is the normal US cover as far as I know. The ugly press boxart is just a mock-up that is supposed to show the golden effect. Similar to the difference between the TWW press boxart and TWW's real boxart.

The image posted here is the UK pre-order bonus. It's the box with a poster.

yankee666

InternHertz said:
Japanese version sent today, I should get it next week then.
I have a lot of games to play but anticipation is rising anyway!

Nice mine shipped yesterday, so next week also. How much did you pay for it?

I can assure you all that the water temple becomes much more enjoyable with touch screen toggle iron boots and the guide pattern/lights for water level switching locations are appreciated as well.

ombz

Well I went to target today and they had it but of course the cashier couldn't ring it up. All well I guess I should of gone earlier.

Hiltz

Here's new info about the original development of Ocarina of Time - Ask Iwata

- Aonuma didn't come into Ocarina of Time until later in development
- Ocarina of Time originally had a jump button
- original development on Ocarina of Time started with 3 people
- Nintendo was, at one time, creating Zelda II: The Adventure of Link with polygons on the Super Famicom
- Miyamoto wanted Ocarina of Time to display from a first-person perspective, and then switch to a side perspective during fights
- A visit to Toei Kyoto Studio Park where the team saw a ninja stage show lead to the development of Z-Targeting
- Z-Targeting discussion actually began during Super Mario 64
- the idea for Navi came from the development team wanting to place a marker above the enemy you were targeting, but didn't want it to be a simple triangle marker
- this was originally called the Fairy Navigation System, but was changed to Navi, which is short for navigate
- the creation of Navi lead to other design choices, like Navi's hints, color changes for characters and even the main storyline
- with Zelda titles, game mechanics come first and the script later
- Ocarina of Time originally featured only an adult Link
- the desire for a young Link came from Miyamoto and other dev team members
- talk of Young Link didn't come into play until the second year of development
- the time-traveling mechanic came into play thanks to young Link, and caused a bunch of problems with the dev team
- Link has roughly 500 basic motions
- Ocarina of Time was originally developed with the N64 DD in mind
- Discussion of Epona arose during Super Mario 64 development
- Epona is the goddess of horses and fertility in Celtic mythology
- Miyamoto requested specific camera angles for when Epona jumped
- The reason the horse jumps automatically is Miyamoto-san said that a Zelda game doesn't need any difficult actions.
- Miyamoto added the carrot system, and also wanted archery and horse battles
- Horse battles didn't get included in the series until Twilight Princess
- Miyamoto also wanted Link to raise his sword above his head, which has only now been accomplished in Skyward Sword
- the number of items in Ocarina of Time was decided from the start, and this caused problems later
- items would be made, and then devs had to go back and make sure those items didn't cause problems in earlier parts of the game
- Aonuma says that development on OoT 'was a mess right up to the end'
- Miyamoto isn't a fan of cinematic elements
- he thinks including cut-scenes are okay, but they need to have the option of being changed multiple times during development
- the developers would actually fly the camera around in-game to find good locations for cut-scenes
- the dev team was really impressed really impressed when the sword was able to cut a sign
- When Miyamoto saw a cut sign float in a pond, he said "Now that's The Legend of Zelda!"
- The development period was two and a half years
- Link originally had a button nose in OoT
- Koizumi changed the design of Link based on what his wife said, as she requested a handsome character
- Koizumi gave Link a pierced ear to make him cooler, but also gave him long underwear to keep him from being overly cool
- Aonuma is asked if he wants to work on Mario games from here on out, and he strongly states that he wants to stay with Zelda

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/1/7

Reading through that Iwata Asks - excellent stuff. Summary misses out on some things:

1) Ocarina of Time was moved from 64DD to N64 ROM because of memory access issues. Link had 500 or so animation sets. The N64 ROM allowed for instant data access, whereas the 64 DD magnetic discs had loading issues. There was a point where Koizumi, the man in charge of creating Link for OoT, couldn't even move Link when the game was running on the 64 DD.

2) Koizumi really likes Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. This confirms it is the best Zelda game ever made.

3) Aonuma makes a great statement.

Eiji Aonuma said:
So to Miyamoto-san, all the games in The Legend of Zelda series are connected.

I am forever going to troll and use that quote to defend the timeline.

4) Koizumi's remarks about first-person sword combat in Ocarina of Time combined with Aonuma's remarks concerning the development of Twilight Princess at the GDC 2007 postmortem over trying to have Link fight in first person pretty much confirm Zelda will never, ever have first person sword combat.

5) Somebody needs to update the Wiki entries for Epona. Koizumi came up with the name Epona, not Shigeru Miyamoto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epona_(The_Legend_of_Zelda)

Just took care of that.

Anyway, reading this whole thing makes me really feel like there will never be another Zelda game really like Ocarina of Time. This development seemed so once-in-a-lifetime. Osawa suggests they should all get back together to make another Zelda game (the best idea ever), but it sounds like some of them have moved on or are too old now to handle such an intense development process like that again.

eXistor

wrowa said:
The 2D mode has AA, the 3D mode has not. That's the only perfomance difference I know of.
The framerate definitely drops with 3D on. Just look around in first person view and switch between 2D and 3D. It's pretty noticable, but not an issue by any means. I prefer the sharper look of 3D on to the somewhat blurry 2D mode myself, but again, the difference is negligible.

Chesskid1

Banned
man, i have no desire to get this game at least until a year or two cause i just played OOT.

i'm hoping someone will find a good way to capture footage of it, i wouldn't mind watching a few hours of it on youtube to get a vibe of how it is. (and to see how 3ds looks with these type of style, 3rd person games)

OH MEGA TROLL.

Koizumi: Aonuma-san, wanna switch with me on Super Mario Bros. sometime?

Aonuma: Hey, that sounds good… Not!

Koizumi: I'll make the next Zelda game. Then you can enjoy playing it.

bummyhead

Blutonium said:
But you only have left + right with a headphone. You won't hear sound from the surround channels.

Virtual surround which is what 3ds has, uses only two speakers, which is how many the3ds has whether you have headphones on or not.

But did I just hear that tress are still sprites in this game? Disappointing.

Chairhome

damn. I was going to hold off on buying this. but i have some trade in credit that I haven't used, and I got a bonus at work. I know I'll be holding on to this game for a while, even if I don't play it right away. Getting fond memories. I will be purchasing this game, damn you GAF.

kanugo

bitoriginal said:
Anyone got any idea when UK Club Nintendo will be back up? I want to register the game for the soundtrack.

I don't think they announced a date yet. It seems they detected phising on the european Nintendo site. At least that's the warning in the portuguese page.

I want to register OoO, my new and shiny 3DS and I want to link my 3DS with my account for 100 extra stars.

Tucah

you speak so well
I can't wait any longer for this, Sunday can't come soon enough. I haven't played the game since I was like 10 and it just came out. SO HYPED.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really excited to play Ocarina of Time 3D. Considering I've never actually played the original release (I know, shame on me) this will be an entirely new game for me.

I have it pre-ordered already and am anxious to play it on Sunday. I downloaded Link's Awakening shortly after the E3 conference to get pumped up for some Ocarina of Time :p.

Bought it. I'm now in Kakariko Village. It's all so ridiculously good looking. Oh my god.

Okay guys, let me say this with all the honesty in my heart. I was sceptic about the 3DS, although I bought it at launch. I played Pilotwings, I played Nintendogs, I collected all the Streetpass shit, but only now, it really dawns on me. This is what this thing can do.

The 3D is actually amazing. More so than in any game or feature on the device. It brings something to the experience that has never been experienced before. It's mind-blowing. What a game people. I loved it as a kid, and I still love it. I love you, Nintendo.

Top Bottom