• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

FYI, don't expect GT's review tomorrow. NOA still has yet to give us access to being able to actually capture this. But I see they were good enough to get around to other sites and set them up. Meanwhile, tons of vids up on YouTube. I don't get NOA sometimes.

TSA said:
FYI, don't expect GT's review tomorrow. NOA still has yet to give us access to being able to actually capture this. But I see they were good enough to get around to other sites and set them up. Meanwhile, tons of vids up on YouTube. I don't get NOA sometimes.

Don't get them either. How much do capture equipment cost or whatever? Not that I can afford one.

went to the kmart in my area, guy was acting like a d-bag when i asked if he had any in the back (he said "NO!"). both targets in my area didnt have it either and told me to wait until sunday. blah, really want this game early!

BY2K

Membero Americo
TSA said:

So you won't do the review until you get the capture kits? Makes sense, but I hope you get them soon.

Kirbyguy said:
Don't get them either. How much do capture equipment cost or whatever? Not that I can afford one.
Dunno about 3DS, but I think DS capture kits cost something like 2 grand. But the thing is, they are build by hand since so few of them will ever be needed, as are the dev kits, and right now it's more important for Nintendo to make dev kits than capture kits, so they don't have enough for everyone who wants one yet.

2 grand fffff. That's like a months salary solely dedicated to it.

Granted I wouldn't mind doing video capturing later on for earlier systems. Should be cheaper yes?

Ganondorf's Battle sounds a lot more dynamic as I listen to it with headphones

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
even though i haven't played the original game in over a decade, and even though i have very strong memories attached to it, i can't believe it's still getting remarkably positive reviews. it's like a pavlovian response at this point.

Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised too. Sure, as been mentioned, it's not like OoT's level design hasn't held up, but I was still expecting reviewers to ding the game for Hyrule Field and NPC models for not being up to snuff.

Jackano

PAL land: Community pages of the NoE website are up again, you can register your OoT3D and successfully applied for the free soundtrack just at the end at the registration process!

I can't believe how good the 3D looks in this game. Like someone said earlier once you get used to it the game will look quite boring if you turn the 3D off. Zelda has never looked so magical. I was also planning to immediately turn off the motion controls, but it actually works better than using the nub (for using the slingshot at least).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Amir0x said:
I embrace change too! The change must be equal or superior to an ideal that came before, is all. No step backs for gimmicks or "experiences" or any other such stand in word for putting extra oomph into being a manchild. Only the quickest, most accurate, most precise route to mastering a game, no excursions.
How do you know if something is an improvement or not without trying it? Its like if you played lethal weapon on the SNEA, and based on that decided never to okay another platform game because they are all shit.

Anyway. How is the combo of gyro and 3D? Does it make it difficult to keep the 3D effect? Curious to try it out. If they have it tuned well it could be a good way to finely adjust your aim. Often I'll overshoot or find ut difficult track a moving subject with an analogue stick, so if this helps I'm all for it

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Amir0x said:
it is Ocarina of Time. The original is like a 9.0 game to me, due to the framerate and gross graphics, so I'm sure this will end up in a similar range. It's one of the rare PS1/N64 3D games that still holds up.

The dungeon design is still fabulous. Of course I have beat this game over 30 times so I am already aware of this fact but hey... it's sorta neat seeing it with this new vision, although I am not entirely enamored with this mediocre visual upgrade. The color scheme/art alteration is kinda underwhelming in a lot of places versus some other Zelda titles.
Presumably you'd mark it up for framerate, but would you naturally mark ut down slightly because its the same game? I guess personally for you it can't have the same impact as first time around?

And do any of the changes jar? I can't imagine I'll miss the prerendered backgrounds but you never know - maybe it loses some charm?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Dammit Amazon whats the point of telling me my order dispatched on the 15 when I am not getting it until today? (hopefully, unless there is a post screw up..happened before), how comes some Amazon.co.uk users got the game early??

all this talk about how great the game looks and holds up, even by today's standards, makes me eager to experience it for the first time...

About the 3d, the world does look much much bigger with it on. And there is some ghosting, most of the times it happens when theres a dark background. You'll see Link or an object double, it's like there's a ghost right beside it. It doesn't bother me though, it's not extremely noticeable.

Jackano said:
PAL land: Community pages of the NoE website are up again, you can register your OoT3D and successfully applied for the free soundtrack just at the end at the registration process!
Thanks for that, just registered my copy! I'm a bit annoyed that I didn't get to register for the early star bonus cos of the maintenence issues - damn phishing attack.

mrklaw said:
Anyway. How is the combo of gyro and 3D? Does it make it difficult to keep the 3D effect? Curious to try it out. If they have it tuned well it could be a good way to finely adjust your aim. Often I'll overshoot or find ut difficult track a moving subject with an analogue stick, so if this helps I'm all for it
Gyro is pretty awesome for aiming - it's faster than slider control and easily adjustable so it's more akin to using the pointer than the stick. I'm using it with 3D and I've had no problems as I move my entire upper torso with the console, so basically my head is still within the 3D zone.

I held the game in my hands today, yet had to put it down. Such is life working in retail.

Gonna be a loooong fucking day working Sunday selling everybody their copies while mine withers away neglected.

Amir0x

Banned
mrklaw said:
Presumably you'd mark it up for framerate, but would you naturally mark ut down slightly because its the same game? I guess personally for you it can't have the same impact as first time around?

And do any of the changes jar? I can't imagine I'll miss the prerendered backgrounds but you never know - maybe it loses some charm?

I am actually marking down slightly only for three reasons. One, it's a rather mediocre visual upgrade considering the power of the 3DS. StarFox 64 3DS, for example, is much more impressive and it seems that team is actually putting effort into it. This Zelda 3DS looks like a halfway jump between DS and 3DS or something, it's like from some missing console generation halfway between N64 and Dreamcast. And the other thing is some of the art direction choices really sap the atmosphere of the original. The color scheme is a bit too bright in some places, a bit too gaudy in others. It doesn't jive with the original intent of the N64 version of Ocarina of Time. Since that is probably the only visual thing that holds up from the N64 version, it's a shame to see it abandoned.

Finally, the added content is shamefully tiny considering how many times Nintendo has released Ocarina of Time over the years. I don't think that with all the years and all the versions they couldn't have designed a special bonus dungeon for people to complete after you beat the game utilizing all the items at your disposal for some special reward. Instead the boss thing is lame and Master Quest is virtually useless to me since no way I'm going to have to play through all of Ocarina of Time original version and then pop into Master Quest right away again. They're too similar for that to hold my attention. They should have allowed an unlock from the start.

Benefits are framerate and interface access due to dualscreen. So, in my opinion, weighing pros and cons the game comes out pretty even with the original. Which of course means it is insanely great still

snap0212

Amazon.de actually delivered on the day of release this time. I'm surprised. Registered the game and claimed my free soundtrack CD. The first thing I have to do now is to create a custom boxart. I like the cover quite a bit but the USK logo just completely destroys it.

ZZZqW.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
agree about master quest. For an RPG, the last thing you want to do is play through it again immediately. And for a 'remaster' they need to factor in old-timers.

snap0212 said:
Amazon.de actually delivered on the day of release this time. I'm surprised. Registered the game and claimed my free soundtrack CD. The first thing I have to do now is to create a custom boxart. I like the cover quite a bit but the USK logo just completely destroys it.

ZZZqW.jpg
Why didn't you try to get it from a different EU country?

JonCha

Man, watching the gameplay makes me super tempted to go out and buy this game even though I have the Master Question version with Wind Waker. This game is still so fun even at this point. If this was a new Zelda for the 3DS, then I wouldn't hesitate.

£29.99 and wait for free delivery
or go to GAME and pay £34.99 to play it immediately and for the rest of the day...

damn it. I could probably wait but I want to get a soundtrack CD :(

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
About to run to town to grab my copy. Wasn't even that excited until now.

I think it's just the thought of having something new and 3D to play on this thing :D

Amir0x said:
man why didn't the US get that super sweet boxart

i don't care much about boxart but that is one nice piece of art
You should try to get an EU gaffer to send you his spare regular cover when they choose to upgrade to the limited edition.

otmane

is the Sondtrack limited in Europe? or as long as I register the game before June 30 I'm sure to have it ?

I ordered the game from Amazon but I won't get home until Tuesday, so if The OST is limited I may have to grab the game in a store (for 15€ more ...)

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
man why didn't the US get that super sweet boxart

i don't care much about boxart but that is one nice piece of art
europe gets the robin/zelda williams commercial too.

i remember when ten years ago noa were the cool kids and noe sat at the lunch table alone. what happened.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
AniHawk said:

i remember when ten years ago noa were the cool kids and noe sat at the lunch table alone. what happened.

the nerds took over

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:

seriously. NOA are complete dicks now in every way. They seriously essentially molested the Wii's potential US output for some reason. Fatal Frame, Day of Disaster, Xeneglev, Last Story, Xenoblade, Captain Rainbow.

Fucking bring dis shit

on top of the most egregious oversight that will never be forgiven, NOT RELEASING MOTHER 3 IN ENGLISH

*seethes*

Mafro

Amir0x said:
seriously. NOA are complete dicks now in every way. They seriously essentially molested the Wii's US output for some reason
NoE seem to be giving them a run for their money with the EU eShop shenanigans.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
radioheadrule83 said:
£29.99 and wait for free delivery
or go to GAME and pay £34.99 to play it immediately and for the rest of the day...

damn it. I could probably wait but I want to get a soundtrack CD :(

could have preordered from HMV for £34.99, picked up in store and got a £5 gift card..

I'm working from home today but can't find enough space to go and grab it. It'll wait until tomorrow but want...now...

Cygnus X-1

Amir0x said:
seriously. NOA are complete dicks now in every way. They seriously essentially molested the Wii's potential US output for some reason. Fatal Frame, Day of Disaster, Xeneglev, Last Story, Xenoblade, Captain Rainbow.

Fucking bring dis shit

on top of the most egregious oversight that will never be forgiven, NOT RELEASING MOTHER 3 IN ENGLISH

*seethes*

Agreed. These games would have filled quite a bit the emptiness of the Wii. They can still do it now while waiting the launch of Wii U, but I doubt it will be the case.

Wasn't Cammie the responsible of that anyway before she left?

Fuck the post just came. No game.

Preordering from GAME.co.uk get's you two boxes. The normal box with the game, and the special shiny-gold box with the double sided poster.

Now because there are two boxes, does that mean it cannot be posted with the normal padded-envelope-thing and will have to be posted by courier?

Just want to know how your game was delivered if you had preordered from GAME.co.uk and gotten it already. (With the preorder bonuses of course.)

Top Bottom