• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Amir0x

Banned
JackFrost said:
Crap forgot about that one. We have a OT on that? Impressions?

Basically, it's really trippy and so difficult it actually challenged my bullet hell skillz, which I thought were pretty good. The first day or so it will be like hand acrobatics trying to find a comfortable, smooth way to play with the unique sonar-type scanning system they got for revealing enemies before you can kill them. But eventually you slowly get better and it is pretty sweet. It's content-lite, relatively speaking, but it is so hard you'll be playing the content that is there for a long time, particularly if you expect to get good at it. But at buy one, get another half off, you can't beat that price for Dream Trigger.

rhino4ever said:
Totally understand why someone would want to play this the old school way..but I embrace change.

I embrace change too! The change must be equal or superior to an ideal that came before, is all. No step backs for gimmicks or "experiences" or any other such stand in word for putting extra oomph into being a manchild. Only the quickest, most accurate, most precise route to mastering a game, no excursions.

HolyCheck said:
Hey atleast you're willing to try the controls.

Ami sounds like someone who pays out a band or genre of music without having any understanding or having even listened to said band.
The 3D I'm still using sparely when entering new areas but insofar as regular use it's super annoying. Looking at NPCs with it on is like having prosopagnosia. I get people liking the motion controls but it isn't for me. I couldn't even beat the targeting shooting game in Castle Town with it on.

Meier said:
Any deals announced for this? Curious if I can expect Amazon to throw me a bone...
KMart is giving a $15 dollar gift card for Shop Your Way Reward members. It's free and you can sign up straight from there site. If you're looking for gaming deals on day 1 KMart is the way to go.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
shadyspace said:
The 3D I'm still using sparely when entering new areas but insofar as regular use it's super annoying. Looking at NPCs with it on is like having prosopagnosia. I get people liking the motion controls but it isn't for me. I couldn't even beat the targeting shooting game in Castle Town with it on.

Fair enough! I'm not a fan of motion controls really either (mainly because I play on public transport to and from work!) but i'll atleast give it a crack for a while when I get it!

sigh need an apartment so i can order it and have a postal address ;_; I wonder if hotels accept packages

Are there any non-Zelda 3DS games actually worth buying at half off, though?

Tried my luck at Target today, got the "we have it but can't sell it until Sunday" answer. Boo.

HolyCheck said:
Fair enough! I'm not a fan of motion controls really either (mainly because I play on public transport to and from work!) but i'll atleast give it a crack for a while when I get it!

sigh need an apartment so i can order it and have a postal address ;_; I wonder if hotels accept packages
You live at a hotel?

Elfforkusu said:
Are there any non-Zelda 3DS games actually worth buying at half off, though?

Tried my luck at Target today, got the "we have it but can't sell it until Sunday" answer. Boo.

Ghost Recon, Ridge Racer, Pilot Wings, Steel Diver is decent at 20$. Most of the games arent bad but theres nothing really amazing. If you havnt played ridge racer I highly recommend it. This week has been slow as fuck I just wanna play my zelda

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
AwakenedCloud said:
KMart is giving a $15 dollar gift card for Shop Your Way Reward members. It's free and you can sign up straight from there site. If you're looking for gaming deals on day 1 KMart is the way to go.

That's my plan. I'll also be using my $20 coupon from LA Noire (with which I had also gotten Resonance of Fate free) which I got for $15 with the $45 coupon from the purchase $120 of games and get $60 in coupons (the remaining $15 coupon went to getting Phantom Hourglass, which was $20 at the time). I wish they still had those coupon box things like they did for New Vegas and Epic Mickey last year.

o9ibf7.jpg

lol

Amir0x said:
I embrace change too! The change must be equal or superior to an ideal that came before, is all. No step backs for gimmicks or "experiences" or any other such stand in word for putting extra oomph into being a manchild. Only the quickest, most accurate, most precise route to mastering a game, no excursions.

Aiming with the motion control in OOT is WAY faster and more accurate than using the stick. Case in point: Slingshot game. It's so much easier now. It is far quicker, more accurate and more precise than steering your aim with the analogue pad. It's actually undeniably superior.

How anyone can think steering a slingshot is better than aiming it is utterly beyond me. I guess you play light gun games with a control pad too? Because that's exactly what the difference feels like.

Amir0x said:
I'll give it one more go.

I agree with the types of change that you embrace (equal to or superior to a prior ideal). So if that's the case, then are you saying that you know ahead of time (i.e. before trying it) whether something is superior versus a step-backward-gimmick?

If that's what you're saying, then I'll just leave it at that.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
AceBandage said:
Target has a buy Zelda get 3DS game half off.
Best Buy has buy Zelda and a 3DS game and get a $25 Gift Card.
Stupid thing is there are no other 3ds games I want. Rather it be half off a ds game.

Amir0x said:
So motion control it is

Amir0x

Banned
i totally agree with Alkaline for once. I won't use 3D, I won't use gyro. I will use the standard controls and the AA 2D visuals have the best possible experience which won't in any way be any less enjoyable than your own. So can we please get off it?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Amir0x said:
i totally agree with Alkaline for once. I won't use 3D, I won't use gyro. I will use the standard controls and the AA 2D visuals have the best possible experience which won't in any way be any less enjoyable than your own. So can we please get off it?

Will you even try them? Do you speak about your hate for asparagus without ever having TRIED asparagus?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I'm gonna enjoy playing with 3D way more than anyone who plays in 2D, just sayin'. No, really, I guarantee it. Check my enjoyment meters.

Amir0x

Banned
HolyCheck said:
Will you even try them? Do you speak about your hate for asparagus without ever having TRIED asparagus?

i have tried 3D and gyro based controls in the past. SO PLEASE LET IT GO

*sigh*

Can't enjoy my Zelda the way I want to ha-rumph

So to sum up recent happenings

Amir0x: I don't use 3D or gimmicks because that's how the fuck I roll! Deal with it.
Others: But...
Amir0x: Deal with it.

Should keep that for future threads so that way we don't fill up topics with this. I'm down to two days as of tomorrow. And it feels like a Friday already. Frankly, Nintendo should take this one step closer and release games on Friday/Saturday to have more game-atude over the weekend.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I noticed I'm able to look around with gyro while z-targeting. Are you able to with gyro turned off? Because it IS kinda handy at times.

AniHawk

even though i haven't played the original game in over a decade, and even though i have very strong memories attached to it, i can't believe it's still getting remarkably positive reviews. it's like a pavlovian response at this point.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
even though i haven't played the original game in over a decade, and even though i have very strong memories attached to it, i can't believe it's still getting remarkably positive reviews still. it's like a pavlovian response at this point.

it is Ocarina of Time. The original is like a 9.0 game to me, due to the framerate and gross graphics, so I'm sure this will end up in a similar range. It's one of the rare PS1/N64 3D games that still holds up.

The dungeon design is still fabulous. Of course I have beat this game over 30 times so I am already aware of this fact but hey... it's sorta neat seeing it with this new vision, although I am not entirely enamored with this mediocre visual upgrade. The color scheme/art alteration is kinda underwhelming in a lot of places versus some other Zelda titles.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Is it sad that I'm looking froward to Amir0x's impressions of Skyward Sword (considering he has such a strong viewpoint towards motion-controls)?

Anyways, I'm gonna hit up Wal-Mart Sunday morning around 12-1 AM. Surely I can talk a worker into selling this to me, then I can wake up to OOT 3D Sunday morning!!!! This is the most I have been excited for a game I have played before in..... forever. I just hope I don't get exhausted on the Zelda formula with this, Link's Awakening, and Four Swords (yes I will be double dipping on all). That would really suck if when Skyward Sword comes out... I'm all Legend of Zelda'd-out
If that is even possible

AniHawk said:
even though i haven't played the original game in over a decade, and even though i have very strong memories attached to it, i can't believe it's still getting remarkably positive reviews still. it's like a pavlovian response at this point.

The design is still remarkably modern in most areas. I'm not surprised at all really.

It's not as if OoT is a relic of old game design. If anything it's the foundation for modern 3D action-adventure design. But what's great about OoT is that it can still contend with those modern games.

If you look at the genuine contenders, OoT still rubs shoulders with them. Many will be quick to point out Okami and Wind Waker but OoT still has better dungeons and pacing than these games, even if it lacks their technical and artistic wizardry.

AniHawk

_Alkaline_ said:
The design is still remarkably modern in most areas. I'm not surprised at all really.

It's not as if OoT is a relic of old game design. If anything it's the foundation for modern 3D action-adventure design. But what's great about OoT is that it can still contend with those modern games.

If you look at the genuine contenders, OoT still rubs shoulders with them. Many will be quick to point out Okami and Wind Waker but OoT still has better dungeons and pacing than these games, even if it lacks their technical and artistic wizardry.

oh, from what i remember of oot, the level design was the best in the series until twilight princess. it's just that by now you think the game would have lost a lot of its whizbang factor.

HolyCheck said:
Leave the man alone, 3D and motion controls aren't his cup of tea. If you can't understand that then tough cookies bub.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Effect said:
So silky smooth...

AzureNightmare said:
Leave the man alone, 3D and motion controls aren't his cup of tea. If you can't understand that then tough cookies bub.
I suppose some people can't stand how it is. It's akin to stating that you'll never play Mario Galaxy because you don't like the fact that the Mario series isn't in a sidescrolling fashion anymore.

Though most people forget that gaming, like all forms of entertainment, is subjective. You're bound to find someone who doesn't see things your way (or the general popular way).

Chesskid1

Banned
speedpop said:
So silky smooth...

i'm playing the original OOT and when watching reOOT videos, it seems weird because at certain points you expect the slowdown -- you are just used to it, but it's not there.

edit: the water at 2:05 looks weird colored, just like screenshots. building interiors look great!

Top Bottom