• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Heh, the enemies types are pretty interesting in this game, especially in the tomb (ReDeads), I actually jumped out my seat when the thing shrieked and caused Link to get froze in place, heh. Wow I am too immersed in this game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm loving the first timers' impressions. I'm almost envious. :D

I hope you guys enjoy the game like a lot of us did. I'm interested to see if the "wow" factor will still hold with this game, given that there are a lot of other 3D Zelda games now.

Nothing's worse than getting stuck at the same part you remember getting stuck at 12 years ago -_- Loving the game though - graphic overhaul is much better than I thought it would be.

Borman

I was one of the people who had trouble with the soundtrack, so I called. Just got this:

Hello -BORMAN-,

Your Club Nintendo reward order is currently being processed.

You will receive another email when your reward order is shipped.

Please visit http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/statuscheck.jsp to
track the status of your order.

You may also visit http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/club/en/faq.jsp
to view answers to reward order questions.

Enjoy your Club Nintendo reward!

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Consumer Service Department

Yay. Sucks that it happened, but Im very thankful for the people at Nintendo who helped.The reward status says backordered, but Im sure itll be fine now :)

Alrus

I think it would have been nice if they added a quick save system (it should be mandatory for big handheld games to be honest), but since you get warp songs pretty fast it isn't that bad. (and there are shortcuts in the lost woods that lead to the Zora domain and the Goron's too)

Varjet said:
Farore's Wind. Use it wisely.

I never thought about that! I'll try it in a subsequent replay :)

Erekiddo

How are there so many first timers in this thread? Avoided Nintendo completely during the N64/Gamecube era? What brought you back in with the 3DS?

ZZMitch

NeoNess said:
How are there so many first timers in this thread? Avoided Nintendo completely during the N64/Gamecube era? What brought you back in with the 3DS?

Was only 6 when OoT came out so I had no idea about it and only played Mario Kart 64. Last gen I only owned the Xbox and just played Halo and Halo 2 mostly so I missed out on it!

Atreides

Just finished it, and unlocked Master Quest. I think I'll wait a bit before playing the Master Quest version.

I died once, and a fairy I had restored me more than 10 hearts, this is different than the original, right?

AlexSmash said:
The Legend of Zelda:
Ocarina of Time

Zelda said that that were her familys secret, surely thats different than the one used to play songs? (do they have any usage for outside of special events?).

NeoNess said:

I wasnt into console gaming until this gen. heh.

more notes:

-Playing at 100% 3D on this game is actually doable whereas most applications on the system I can't touch it. Looks like the in-game cameras are adjusted just right for this!

-Pro tip for those with big hands that are looking to figure out how to do L-targeting while using the thumb-pad: I actually rest my entire left finger on TOP of the unit and pull the trigger down with a lower joint/knuckle on my finger. Try it out, it actually works so well and lets you keep your hand comfy.

I reach the one K-Mart in my area one hour after they open, and the GAME IS ALREADY SOLD OUT. WTF! So frustrating. I don't know how few copies they must have had for them to sell out every single copy within a god-damn hour.

Guess that means I'll have to order it off Buy.com now if I want a decent deal. :(

ZZMitch said:
Was only 6 when OoT came out so I had no idea about it and only played Mario Kart 64.
Not an excuse. :( I beat OoT for the first time when I was 7. But ah...to play it for the very first time once again. <3

NeoNess said:
Are you polling for a survey of some kind? I don't mind answering, just wondering.

Anyways, to answer the question from last page, I'm playing the game in 50% 3D. Too much ghosting otherwise.
No, I didn't avoid Nintendo in the 64 era. I played the N64 regularly at my cousin's house, but they never owned Ocarina of Time. I rented it one day for his console but was only able to play for about 15 minutes, and the next time I went over they had returned it to the store (store had horrible late fees).
As for the Gamecube, I guess I kinda did avoid it.
Lastly, I'm not necessarily "back" with the 3DS. I've always had a Game Boy of some kind (GB -> GBP -> GBA -> DSLite -> 3DS). I never really left Nintendo in the handheld space. I haven't played a Pokemon game since Silver, though.

I'm taking my time with this, aiming for 100% and loving each and every minute.
Except for that octopus mini-boss in Jabu Jabu's belly.
Fuck him when I was 14 and fuck him now.
I'm ready to visit the Temple of Time for the first time but want to have everything possible wrapped up before I do. Here's my 'stats' at this point:

8 Hearts + 3 Heart Container Pieces
37 Golden Skull Tokens
3 Magic Beans left to plant
Bunny mask

Does anybody know what's the highest amount of hearts you can have at this point?
Can I get more Golden Skulls at this point?
I'm know I need to plant all the seeds now but do I do it now now or later now?
Same with the masks. Are there further trades to be had now or do the rest come later?

Thanks! I really want 100% without a guide but it's starting t get tough!
Also, whats with the cows??? Could never figure this out when I was young either. The ones hidden in the secret underground chambers, are they just for milk or am I missing something?

Necromanti said:
I reach the one K-Mart in my area one hour after they open, and the GAME IS ALREADY SOLD OUT. WTF! So frustrating. I don't know how few copies they must have had for them to sell out every single copy within a god-damn hour.

Guess that means I'll have to order it off Buy.com now if I want a decent deal. :(
Target has a deal where if you buy the game, you get another 3ds game for 50% off.

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
For those with big hands you should look into getting a hand grip from amazon. I get less cramps this way and it feels like youre holding a controller.

LayLa

NeoNess said:

never knew anyone with an N64, like my friends i had a PS1 then PS2 (apart from one friend who had a Saturn & Dreamcast!)
just collected 3rd gem thing with Zora girl, enjoying it so far but yet to see why this is rated so much higher than other Zeldas.

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
8 Hearts + 3 Heart Container Pieces
37 Golden Skull Tokens
3 Magic Beans left to plant
Bunny mask

Does anybody know what's the highest amount of hearts you can have at this point?
Can I get more Golden Skulls at this point?
I'm know I need to plant all the seeds now but do I do it now now or later now?
Same with the masks. Are there further trades to be had now or do the rest come later?

Thanks! I really want 100% without a guide but it's starting t get tough!
Also, whats with the cows??? Could never figure this out when I was young either. The ones hidden in the secret underground chambers, are they just for milk or am I missing something?
I was wondering if there was a guide or something that had the maximum hearts, skull tokens, etc at certain points.

NeoNess said:
I was never much into the series, really. (I did have an N64, I just really didn't want the game.) The only games in the series I've played for an extended amount of time are Link's Awakening and the Oracle games. The first time I attempted to play OoT, it was on Wii VC, and the framerate and the controls were kind of jarring for me.

HYDE

Banned
Questions: There's only one orchestrated track on this cartridge, right?

Is it free to download somewhere? If not, I want to at least hear it, can someone link me to the song?

Alrus

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:

You can do all the masks before reaching the next part. Bunny mask is the last trade btw, it's a bit tough to find out, so good luck =)

Also there are some skulltulla in early dungeons you can't get without a specific song you only get later.

Big Papa Husker said:
Target has a deal where if you buy the game, you get another 3ds game for 50% off.
Interesting... Unfortunately, I believe I already have every 3DS game worth a damn, unless there's something else coming out between now and the 24th. :(

Blargh.

Registered and then it had the wrong address on my account so I lost the link to register.

I called and then was on hold for 10 minutes and they got me squared away. Ace Customer Service from Nintendo! :)

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
God damn it. Did everything to try and make sure I would get it. Turned off adblock and popupblocker even in the chrome options themselves, and no luck. No soundtrack offer. I do not have the time/ability to make a phone call right now, so do I just need to send in a customer service email from the nintendo webform?

(Sorry for yet another post on this).

Erekiddo

Revolutionary said:
Are you polling for a survey of some kind? I don't mind answering, just wondering.

Just curious. I don't secretly work for NoA or anything. :)

I'm just a jaded gamer who is surprised
jealous
that people can be experiencing this game for the first time.

I wonder if we'll see Majora's Mask 3DS.

NeoNess said:
Growing up, I wanted to have a Nintendo 64, but I never got one in the end and grew up on PlayStation. The way things are looking, 3DS is almost like my personal retroactive wish fulfillment. I barely touched the Gamecube port of OoT and couldn't stand playing it after Wind Waker was such a massive graphical leap, so having this new, refreshed 3D version is great for me.

Holmes

I think the maximum amount of hearts you can have by the Temple of Time is 10, with two or one heart pieces... I think it depends on the frog heart piece, you need the Song of Storms for that one, so probably only one heart piece. (edit: also depends on how lucky you think you are at Treasure Chest game)

I got the bloody heart piece for catching the 10 pound fish. He's easy to find, I never forgot. But it got away from me on my first reel. :( Annoying.

Insaniac

Got my copy, registered it around 4:30 EST and got a soundtrack. Also just started the Great Deku Tree and I'm amazed by how amazing the game looks and feels

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
NeoNess said:
Just curious. I don't secretly work for NoA or anything. :)

I'm just a jaded gamer who is surprised
jealous
that people can be experiencing this game for the first time.

I wonder if we'll see Majora's Mask 3DS.
I don't think we'll be getting a MM3DS. Miyamoto said that the reason he decided to remake this and Star Fox 64 was because the game felt limited due to the console' technology back in the day.

Poyunch

Dedication Through Light said:
Is there no way to change the camera angle while holding the shield?! Its pretty difficult to guard against fast moving foes.
Never shield unless you're Z-Targeting!

Revolutionary said:
My only real complaints at this point are related to the camera - it's sensitive and sometimes makes it a bitch to aim bomb throws.

Can't you center and lock the camera behind Link by holding the L button (or whichever button it is now)?

Deku said:
I never understood the water temple hate...

Yeah, same here. Weaksauces.

The Lamp

kayos90 said:
I don't think we'll be getting a MM3DS. Miyamoto said that the reason he decided to remake this and Star Fox 64 was because the game felt limited due to the console' technology back in the day.

How was Majoras Mask not limited? It needed an expansion pack and the game would benefit from a newly improved save system and touchscreen inventory for masks.

Sianos

Majora's Mask Wii U would be pretty cool. Have the clock and your items on the touchscreen, and glorious HD Termina on the TV. <3

gwiz210

I called NoA today after the popup didn't work and later in the day got an email saying a Club Nintendo order for the OST has been placed.
Has anyone else done this yet? The problem was solved rather quickly.

I do have one question though, I checked my club nintendo account and it says the CD is backordered. Is that the case for everyone?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The Lamp said:
How was Majoras Mask not limited? It needed an expansion pack and the game would benefit from a newly improved save system and touchscreen inventory for masks.
OoT and MM essentially look the same. There's no point of remaking MM since OoT shows how Zelda from the 64 gen would've looked on a stronger platform. Personally I would love MM for the 3DS. It had really clever dungeons and really interesting side quests. If it wasn't for the nostalgia factor I would rank MM right after A Link to the Past

Gravijah

They just need to remake ALTTP. With HD sprites.

omg remade dark world dungeon theme (one of my absolute favorite dungeon themes) would be so amaaaaazing.

NeoNess said:
I never played any of the N64 Zeldas, since I never owned an N64...

I ended up playing more PS games, due to my friend having that one.

First time impressions: Pretty neat so far, the gyroscope looking thing is cool, but had to turn off 3D to use, natch. The camera and Z-targeting is proving to be a bit difficult to get used to...

Oh, and I was surprised hearing the village theme at first, since the first time I heard the track was in Minish Cap.

Sianos

Gravijah said:
They just need to remake ALTTP. With HD sprites.

omg remade dark world dungeon theme (one of my absolute favorite dungeon themes) would be so amaaaaazing.
Hnnnngggg that would be so good.

Deku said:
I never understood the water temple hate...
Me too, in fact at the time of release, when I was 13 years old, I passed the dungeon on my first try without any sort of complications. Everything was crystal clear as to where to go and what to do.

Then again...I got stuck as hell in the Fire Temple >_< and a bit in the Forest Temple because I missed a hidden staircase :D

Everything else in the game was easy to understand.

edit : Oh god I'm a member finally hhhhggggnnn So long, Junior days

Top Bottom