• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

bummyhead

kayos90 said:
I don't think we'll be getting a MM3DS. Miyamoto said that the reason he decided to remake this and Star Fox 64 was because the game felt limited due to the console' technology back in the day.

Considering that they have already invested the time and money in porting the Ocarina of Time game engine to 3DS, already invested in creating all new textures and character models, many of which would carry over nicely to MM, and that MM uses the same engine as OOT, I'd say it'd be surprising if Nintendo *didn't* cash in on what would be at this point a fairly easy port to 3DS.

That being said, there are rumours of a remake of A Link to the Past which would be far more interesting to see transformed into 3D, and would be especially cool if they updated the story to make it fit into the timeline.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Naked Snake said:
Sadly I never had MM on N64. I tried playing it on GC but got stuck very early on and gave up.
The entire level design of each dungeon in that game is freaking amazing. If developers stuck to that level of quality then I would be happy. I was greatly disappointed by TP's dungeon design compared to OoT and MM.

Glix

Gravijah said:
UDON?! Come on now. Have some respect for Nintendo.

You talk about HD remakes/redraws and I think of Super Turbo HD and I cry a little bit.

I fear Non polygonal games being remade. I don't even like Super Mario All-Stars quite honestly.

Celine

kayos90 said:
The entire level design of each dungeon in that game is freaking amazing. If developers stuck to that level of quality then I would be happy. I was greatly disappointed by TP's dungeon design compared to OoT and MM.
I disagree TP has the best 3D dungeon of the series.
First and third dungeon in MM weren't that great IMO and the same apply for their boss.

kayos90

Celine said:
I disagree TP has the best 3D dungeon of the series.
First and third dungeon in MM weren't that great IMO and the same apply for their boss.
The only dungeon I liked in TP was Arbiter's Grounds. Anything else was meh or average.

Izayoi

Banned
yessssssssssssssssss

OsCQv.png

Two emails and a phone call.

kunonabi

OoT had terrible dungeons. MM were a huge step up but I still prefer TP dungeons to the both of them.

To be fair Spirit Tracks smokes all of them though.

kayos90

Alrus said:
You didn't like Snowpeak ruins?
Snowpeak had you run around back and forth and had tedious rooms that cause a bit frustration not because of the player's actions and such but because of how the room was laid out. Urg. Also in Arbiter's you didn't use the double hookshot. You did that in the Sky Temple

kunonabi said:
OoT had terrible dungeons. MM were a huge step up but I still prefer TP dungeons to the both of them.

To be fair Spirit Tracks smokes all of them though.
What devilry is this?!
- Even if you don't like the OoT dungeons to call them terrible is just wrong.
- MM is hardly a huge step up, I personally consider it a step down (yes the hypocrisy of my argument is front and center on this point)
- Spirit Tracks does have some nice dungeons, the Ice and Desert ones for me. The first one on the other hand is incredibly mundane even for a starting dungeon.
- TP does have the best dungeons, i'd dare to say out of all the games but that's just my love for the Arbiter's Grounds coming through (which robbed half its greatness from the OoT forest temple)

Lol playing Saria's song for the bossman in the Goron City cave was just hilarious, most memorable part of the game thus far, He was getting his dance on like there was no tomorrow... and the camera zooming and turning to that Hot Beat. heh.

AlexSmash

I still think that the dungeons from OoT had the best athmosphere.

Remember the music from the
forest temple or the spirit temple
?
So good.
TP had great dungeon designs, but i dont remember the music at all.

Big Papa Husker said:
I was wondering if there was a guide or something that had the maximum hearts, skull tokens, etc at certain points.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm after, I don't want to delve around FAQs or anything as I don't want anything spoiled, just need to know the max 'stats' once you've finished Zora's Domain...
Alrus said:
You can do all the masks before reaching the next part. Bunny mask is the last trade btw, it's a bit tough to find out, so good luck =)
Got this just now! The way the guy takes off after resting is hilarious. Met him completely by chance though (luckily). Is there somebody I should've spoken to who would've pointed me in his direction?
The character masks you can hire after seem slightly useless though :(
Holmes said:
I think the maximum amount of hearts you can have by the Temple of Time is 10, with two or one heart pieces... I think it depends on the frog heart piece, you need the Song of Storms for that one, so probably only one heart piece. (edit: also depends on how lucky you think you are at Treasure Chest game)
I got the bloody heart piece for catching the 10 pound fish. He's easy to find, I never forgot. But it got away from me on my first reel. :( Annoying.
10 hearts!? hmmm I just completed the 9th so still 5/6 heart pieces to go. Gotta get searching! I'll leave the treasure game until I don't need luck, far too frustrating.
I just caught a 12 pound fish, what a battle. Got him first time but took 5 casts to hook him though

kayos90

Dedication Through Light said:
Lol playing Saria's song for the bossman in the Goron City cave was just hilarious, most memorable part of the game thus far, He was getting his dance on like there was no tomorrow... and the camera zooming and turning to that Hot Beat. heh.
I agree. That's one of the finer moments of the game. I think there are a few custcenes that bring back memory in that game. Another being when you see Princess Ruto and Link falls off the piece of wood into the water.

M-PG71C

Damnit Amazon, my copy won't make it here till Tuesday. I hope they don't run out of the soundtrack by then. I'm happy to get it for free thanks to my Amazon Rewards points but I want my soundtrack! Or at the very least get to play it before work. :/

The wait is going to suck! I don't even have Dead or Alive to hold me over either, I'm waiting for it too. Damnit again Amazon!

just found out that you can't do Master Quest until you beat the game once.

such bullshit, i've already beaten the game a million times, i'm not gonna wanna do it AGAIN. by the time i unlock it, i'll be sick of oot. so lame.

KevinCow

Banned
The motion controls and 3D don't work perfectly together, but they work better than I expected. Using the motion controls to fine-tune your aim after adjusting to the general area with the analog stick works pretty nice. I also like holding L and tilting up to look up a bit, as it's much quicker than going into first-person view to look around.

kayos90

AlexSmash said:

?
So good.
I think Shadow Temple had better atmosphere than both, but Spirit Temple comes really close.

AlexSmash said:

?
So good.
Memorable dungeon music seemed to vanish after OoT bar a few exceptions. Stone Tower, Temple of Droplets and Tower of the spirits have some staying power for me but most of the time it seems to be a minimalist approach to dungeon themes. Oh and there is the phantom hourglass dungeon music which sticks in my mind for all the wrong reasons.

kayos90 said:

Twilight Princess was when I stopped playing Zelda (still own my never-finished copy). None of the DS Zeldas appealed to me and Skyword Sword doesn't either.

Currently I'm really enjoying Link's Awakening, way more than I thought I would. Somehow I expected it to be a copy-cat of A Link to the Past, but surprisingly it's very different I'd say.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Waiting for my order to come in from Amazon is sucking now. It will only be up to two more days, but OoT3D was the reason I bought a launch 3DS so I've been waiting for quite a while already.

kayos90

autobzooty said:
just found out that you can't do Master Quest until you beat the game once.

such bullshit, i've already beaten the game a million times, i'm not gonna wanna do it AGAIN. by the time i unlock it, i'll be sick of oot. so lame.
Beat it, then play MM, then play MQ. Halfway through you'll realize that MM is the better game and you'll go back. Just kidding. Seriously follow the advice though. It might help

Izayoi said:
yessssssssssssssssss

OsCQv.png

Two emails and a phone call.

Two e-mails and a call now and no soundtrack. Supposedly they're going to call me back within 24-48 hours...

Hopefully it all works out in the end but I don't have much faith left.

Edit: Been hitting "Get Mail" all day long in OS X Mail hoping something pops up but I just leave feeling defeated.

Izayoi

Banned
Glix said:
Wait, yours shipped already? Mine is "back ordered"
Nah, mine is backordered. See the status.

AbsoluteZero said:
Two e-mails and a call now and no soundtrack. Supposedly they're going to call me back within 24-48 hours...

Hopefully it all works out in the end but I don't have much faith left.
I sent an email via the two following paths from this page:

Club Nintendo > Club Nintendo Rewards > Ordering
Club Nintendo > Product Registration > Games

M-PG71C

MasterShotgun said:
Waiting for my order to come in from Amazon is sucking now. It will only be up to two more days, but OoT3D was the reason I bought a launch 3DS so I've been waiting for quite a while already.

Same here, its suppose to arrive on Tuesday. I knew better going in though knowing this is a typical Nintendo launch on a Sunday but I was really hoping that it would magically be here Monday or whatever lol :p

I have bought four games for the 3DS (Pilotwings Resort, Nintendogs, Ridge Racer, and SSFIV) and ordered two this month (Dead or Alive and OoT3DS) and among all six of them, this is the one I wanted the most (besides Pilotwings). Tuesday is going to be a sweet day. :D

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope we see a MM 3D. They have all the character models already updated. Playing this just makes me want a MM 3D more and more :(

kunonabi

Let me rephrase: Terrible dungeons for a Zelda game

I found all the dungeons to be really easy and fairly simple to figure out. The one temple that took me any sort of time was the water temple because of its tedious design and the fact that there was either a switch or key that I could not find for the life of me until the camera went screwy and I was fortunate to get an angle that let me know where the hell it was.

I like the dungeons in every other Zelda game better. MM weren't the greatest dungeons either but they were more involved and I liked how the time mechanic added some tension to their exploration.

That said I do enjoy the Master Quest versions of the OoT dungeons quite a bit.

Docpan

Something about the 3d effect is really cool as fuck in this game. Everything looks sharp, pops out, nothing could do it justice other than actually playing it for yourself.

The gyroscope controls are amazing, but it fucks up the 3d effect and you WILL see double images until you hold it stationary again. Something tells me the next iteration will improve upon this, and make the 3d viewing angle more wide.

What is it about the 3ds speakers that make them sound so incredible? The volume is low but it literally sounds like the effects and sounds are coming from around your head. Its unreal how high quality it is. Too bad they kept the midi tunes and didn't decide to do orchestral arrangements with dynamic context sensitive adjustments like in Galaxy.

This remake exceeds expectations. It makes the 3ds actually worth playing. Before today I felt like I had a 250 dollar toy that I could take crappy 3d pictures and shoot people's faces with. I was amused with it for two seconds on launch day and shelved it.

Glad I didn't dump it quite yet. Oot3d is a game worth checking out

kayos90

kunonabi said:
Let me rephrase: Terrible dungeons for a Zelda game

I found all the dungeons to be really easy and fairly simple to figure out. The one temple that took me any sort of time was the water temple because of its tedious design and the fact that there was either a switch or key that I could not find for the life of me until the camera went screwy and I was fortunate to get an angle that let me know where the hell it was.

I like the dungeons in every other Zelda game better. MM weren't the greatest dungeons either but they were more involved and I liked how the time mechanic added some tension to their exploration.

That said I do enjoy the Master Quest versions of the OoT dungeons quite a bit.
So essentially you didn't like the Water Temple because you couldn't find something and it made you repeat certain steps because you couldn't find that thing you wanted. Sounds like a great design to me. Or wait, it might also be because you as a player got frustrated at how the design didn't suit your taste. The only thing I did not enjoy about the Water Temple was the crappy camera when you went underwater. Other than that OoT had great dungeons and MM dungeons were even better. TP had crap dungeons compared to it. Longer doesn't equal better.

DarkKyo

My game is coming tomorrow in the mail sometime.. you don't think there is any chance that bonus CDs will still be available then, right? :(

I didn't get a backorder screen or anything 0_o
my order is still bring processed , smh if I get cancelled :/ I put it in at 12 pm EST :(

*goes back to playing Zelda*

Haha funny is I never updated my 3DS but I had too, gonna go get Excitebike 3D now too B)

kayos90

Dechaios said:
My game is coming tomorrow in the mail sometime.. you don't think there is any chance that bonus CDs will still be available then, right? :(
You'll definitely have a higher chance than the Europeans. I think they still might be available. Nothing you can do about it other than just wait. Sorry man.

DarkKyo

kayos90 said:
You'll definitely have a higher chance than the Europeans. I think they still might be available. Nothing you can do about it other than just wait. Sorry man.
True.. I wonder just how many of these things they have. No big deal if I don't get a copy I guess.

Top Bottom